Are Parallel Channels Pre or Post Fader Copies?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Scruffager

18 Mar 2021

Do parallel channels take the pre or the post fader signal from their source? And also if the source is a bus, does it take from the channels going into the bus or the bus itself? (like is it a copy of the bus itself or is it a copy of the raw audio from the bus?). I'm kind of thinking myself in circles after eating an insane amount of marshmallows, so I'm sorry if I don't make much sense.
Mac OS 10.14.6, Reason 11, Presonus Quantum 2 TB3, Adam Audio A7X monitors, Roland Aira System 1

https://soundcloud.com/scruffager

jam-s

18 Mar 2021

It should be the pre-fader audio that arrives at the channel/bus.

PhillipOrdonez

19 Mar 2021

jam-s wrote:
18 Mar 2021
It should be the pre-fader audio that arrives at the channel/bus.
It is.

Scruffager

19 Mar 2021

Ok, thank you guys!
Mac OS 10.14.6, Reason 11, Presonus Quantum 2 TB3, Adam Audio A7X monitors, Roland Aira System 1

buddard
RE Developer

19 Mar 2021

Scruffager wrote:
18 Mar 2021
Do parallel channels take the pre or the post fader signal from their source? And also if the source is a bus, does it take from the channels going into the bus or the bus itself? (like is it a copy of the bus itself or is it a copy of the raw audio from the bus?). I'm kind of thinking myself in circles after eating an insane amount of marshmallows, so I'm sorry if I don't make much sense.
It's pre fader, but not only that: It's "pre everything", because the parallel signal bypasses the entire channel strip, including the input gain!

gbuck

19 Mar 2021

Chocolate covered marshmallows?

selig
RE Developer

19 Mar 2021

buddard wrote:
19 Mar 2021
It's pre fader, but not only that: It's "pre everything", because the parallel signal bypasses the entire channel strip, including the input gain!
That last bit is SUPER SUPER SUPER important IMO - and BTW, it is the ONLY way to get access (via cables) to the direct output of an audio track from the sequencer!
It's basically like having a simple audio splitter on the input of every mixer channel. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

mcatalao
Competition Winner

20 Mar 2021

If you want to make them post you can use a print bus in the middle.

Scruffager

22 Mar 2021

selig wrote:
19 Mar 2021
buddard wrote:
19 Mar 2021
That last bit is SUPER SUPER SUPER important IMO - and BTW, it is the ONLY way to get access (via cables) to the direct output of an audio track from the sequencer!
It's basically like having a simple audio splitter on the input of every mixer channel. :)
Thank you, Buddard and Selig! That's really good to know.

Scruffager

22 Mar 2021

mcatalao wrote:
20 Mar 2021
Totally. I have a really well built computer than can handle many instances of plugins, so I just copied the plugins and their settings and pasted them onto the parallel track that I had wanted to be post-fader, but you are correct, I could totally print them to save cpu if I needed to. It was really nice to be able to move my maxed-out compressor (I was using it for parallel compression) to different spots in the fx chain though. And I ended up wanting to change some other parts of the fx chain anyways, so that worked out great for me.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2021

Scruffager wrote:
22 Mar 2021
mcatalao wrote:
20 Mar 2021
Totally. I have a really well built computer than can handle many instances of plugins, so I just copied the plugins and their settings and pasted them onto the parallel track that I had wanted to be post-fader, but you are correct, I could totally print them to save cpu if I needed to. It was really nice to be able to move my maxed-out compressor (I was using it for parallel compression) to different spots in the fx chain though. And I ended up wanting to change some other parts of the fx chain anyways, so that worked out great for me.
I think I didn't explain this well. If you want a Paralel to be post fader, you can create it after a bus over the channel you want to paralel.

For example you want to process a drum sample with paralel processing. Usually you'd create a paralel and add an aggressive comp over it. But the paralel would be the pre-fader and pre insert sound. So instead, create a bus over the drum sample. Then create a paralel over the bus. The effects in the original sample will be pre bus.

Ottostrom

22 Mar 2021

mcatalao wrote:
22 Mar 2021
Scruffager wrote:
22 Mar 2021

I think I didn't explain this well. If you want a Paralel to be post fader, you can create it after a bus over the channel you want to paralel.

For example you want to process a drum sample with paralel processing. Usually you'd create a paralel and add an aggressive comp over it. But the paralel would be the pre-fader and pre insert sound. So instead, create a bus over the drum sample. Then create a paralel over the bus. The effects in the original sample will be pre bus.
Your comment made me look into what a print bus was cause I had never heard of that concept before! Always fun to learn about mixing techniques :)

mcatalao
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2021

I don't know if it's called a print bus, but that's what I called it because it does more or less the same as printing the channel to the sequencer without really having to bounce to audio. It allows for more versatility as you can change the main channel if you need it. Of course bouncing to audio offloads the initial hit from the cpu, but for the folks that are copying the inserts to the parallel, you only have to put what you need on the parallel.

I did sort of a special use case where someone needs more sends, and with this technique it's possible to create additional fully functioning sends, but it breaks latency compensation, and it's imho overkill as a fully functional send would need 2 or 3 additional channels per initial channel plus the sends. It's overkill. However the "printing bus" is useful for these situations when you need to parallel stuff.

• Information