Reason Slave to Keystep Pro

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Barriott

18 Mar 2021

Hi,

Wondering if you could help me. I'm trying to sync reason with the Keystep pro (arturia).

I have a delay FX on one of the tracks which doesn't seem to sync. As a test i put the delay to 1/4 so that the delay arrives on the beat. Its off. And doesn't react to tempo changes. I think i'm doing everything right. The KSP is sending a clock. Reason is set to receive a clock and the sync mode is selected to MIDI clock.

I don't understand what i'm doing wrong

Please
Attachments
1.png
1.png (106.59 KiB) Viewed 991 times

Jackjackdaw

19 Mar 2021

Sounds like a latency issue. I use a Beatstep pro with Reason but haven't had an issue with it personally. I will have a poke around later on, see if I can come up with anything.

Sterioevo

19 Mar 2021

Do you have the keystep setup as the Midi Clock Sync Input in the Preferences/Sync Settings?

Barriott

19 Mar 2021

Sterioevo wrote:
19 Mar 2021
Do you have the keystep setup as the Midi Clock Sync Input in the Preferences/Sync Settings?
Yeah

Sterioevo

19 Mar 2021

Do you have a midi monitor program to check what midi is being received to the computer?
Typically you lose control of the transport when running as a midi slave - is transport being activated when you start the keystep?

Barriott

19 Mar 2021

Sterioevo wrote:
19 Mar 2021
Do you have a midi monitor program to check what midi is being received to the computer?
Typically you lose control of the transport when running as a midi slave - is transport being activated when you start the keystep?
Transport isn't being transported

So I've been playing around. If I set my KSP to send transport messages. It sends the tempo but it's unstable. I loaded up a rv2000 and set it to echo. The guide lines wobble by approx +-.2bpm. It creates pretty undesirable artifacts and warping sounds.

I don't have any midi monitoring. Recommend any?

Barriott

19 Mar 2021

Does reason have a recommended pulse input?

Jackjackdaw

19 Mar 2021

Barriott wrote:
19 Mar 2021
Does reason have a recommended pulse input?
I think the ppq in Midi manager is just for the Analog clock outs, not sure it applies to Midi

Sterioevo

19 Mar 2021

PC - midi ox - http://www.midiox.com
Mac - Midi Monitor - https://www.snoize.com/midimonitor/

Try to simplify things to identify if and where the problem lies - turn off/minimise notes, cc's etc.

It is never smooth sailing in my experience when it comes to midi sync. Lots of trial and error.

• Information