A Praise for Reason :)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
brand

18 Mar 2021

I decided on Reason a few years ago, with limited hands-on experience with other DAWS. The remark that "the software doesn't matter" is valid, more-or-less: most DAWS do the job they were designed for. The workflow is probably a big personal preference thing, though.

I had been spending a lot of time using David Wills' training videos (which are great by the way.) He goes back and forth using a number of DAWS, Reason, ProTools, Logic, etc. This just shows you that people would wonder, "well, that's with PT, how do you do it in Logic, or whatever. But I liked the SSL console, and the rack.
Also, the ability to wire devices in real-world emulation. I figured that would provide an opportunity to gain more understanding of routing, CV, and such. For me, it's just a fun program to use. I have no idea whether RS would drop the DAW. Personally I don't see the point of that. So they wouldn't have to spend money maintaining the recording functions? But if they did, well, I guess I'd have to switch. To what I don't know.

demt

19 Mar 2021

I've been hammering away with reason since 2.5 just got myself a nektar aura to open new doors in reason ,I'm happy.
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

Desnuda

24 Mar 2021

I still feel really inspired when I just fire up Reason on its own and start chucking things into the rack. Even if I start my ideas there and send them across to another program, there's still nothing like it really.

Desnuda

25 Mar 2021

Desnuda wrote:
24 Mar 2021
I still feel really inspired when I just fire up Reason on its own and start chucking things into the rack. Even if I start my ideas there and send them across to another program, there's still nothing like it really. wheel spinner
But I liked the SSL console, and the rack. Also, the ability to wire devices in real-world emulation. I figured that would provide an opportunity to gain more understanding of routing, CV, and such

bitley

29 Mar 2021

I've got many computers and as I really never get around to cleaning them out for storage or selling they all work as alternate workstations.

I've even found that my (own) staple soundbank - the WBF R2 refill - works in all Reason versions, which was quite the positive surprise!

So I have two G5 macs for instance - 18 years old now - and they only run Reason 4.

Going back to 4 is like using a different program and it's a good practice because then I realise how many small workflow improvements have been added over these latest years.

Still, I can be really productive in R4 and sometimes it's so familiar. I noticed that I automated the old mixers more than I do with the SSL.

Really - Reason is still very very great indeed. I don't understand people who complain. I'm amazed by it still to this day, regardless of version really. Propellerhead makes magic things happen and it still after 20 years amazes me that the program is exactly the same on both PC and Mac. It's state of the art programming - and I'm releasing just about every track I've ever made on all the major platforms now. Feels great to let all this music enter the real world. A key to helping myself move on, discovering even more harmonies, beats and what not.

As a reflection;

In about two weeks I'm even releasing an album of my first experiments on Cubase for Atari and just a Kawai K4 that I ran in multi mode.

Some of the things from that time can still surprise me in a positive way because not only do we develop as musicians: we also get more narrow in our way of creating somehow.

It's interesting going back to my younger self and get taught in how to create music with an unlimited wide creativity. Then I can go back to the future and bring some of that energy with me again. Really - thank you for all the great coding Propellerhead. Always a fan!

( Feel free and most welcome to check out my music on all major streaming platforms; albums like Lincoln In A Lincoln In Lincoln with lots of Reason only tracks. The upcoming album Jenezeta is the one mastered from cassettes, built with Cubase 1.2 to 1.3 I think on Atari, I also used the mighty old Dr. T's KCS on tracks like "Harmonicum". )

LongFist

30 Mar 2021

bitley wrote:
29 Mar 2021
It's interesting going back to my younger self and get taught in how to create music with an unlimited wide creativity. Then I can go back to the future and bring some of that energy with me again. Really - thank you for all the great coding Propellerhead. Always a fan!
That's an amazing purview that I only recently revisited! I grabbed my backup library of music (per age, every time I update/move to a new computer, I always back off all of my old music tracks, even if I don't "pull them forward" to the new machine) to see stuff that I had done. It goes back to the late 90's, so I find that I evolved quite a bit since then. It's neat to go back and experience the older tracks, memories flooding in, reminding me of everything that was going on when that particular track was made. Amazing insights, brought to me through an artificial time tunnel, eventually punctuated with "I wonder why I stopped doing that?"

My younger self was an insatiably curious monster, and I have recently re-learned a lot from him. :D
:rebirth: 2.0.1 :recycle: 2.2 :reload: 1.0 :record: 1.0 :reason: 11 Suite :reason:+ ________ :arrow: Love the entire product line!

bitley

31 Mar 2021

Exactly! ;)

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Apr 2021

EnochLight wrote:
17 Mar 2021
I opened up this songfile from like... 2002, I think? It was downright embarrassing. :lol: My productions have changed so much over the course of 20 years! That said, I also opened a different project from that same year and was like... "hmmmmm... totally forgot about this one - it's got some great ideas in here!" :thumbup: But yeah, I don't often go back to my old stuff. Not that old, anyway.
Occasionally I go through a nostalgic fuelled binge of old projects.

Always interesting to review all the phases and transitions I went through.

There are so many memories attached to them as well.

• Information