Would someone double check my routing

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ianfellerman

12 Mar 2021

My goal is that the sonarworks vst is not affecting my big meter but the ssl vst still is, would this be right?

selig
RE Developer

12 Mar 2021

Everything feeding the Hardware Outputs is reflected in the Big Meter. In this setup, the Master Meter (besides the master fader) is not reflecting the Sonarworks VST.
Selig Audio, LLC

ianfellerman

12 Mar 2021

selig wrote:
12 Mar 2021
Everything feeding the Hardware Outputs is reflected in the Big Meter. In this setup, the Master Meter (besides the master fader) is not reflecting the Sonarworks VST.
Just to be clear, when you write besides, you mean next to, correct? If so did I actually succeed in my goal of not having sonarworks reflected in my my master level meter but everything else is?

P.S. I'm a huge fan of everything selig!

PhillipOrdonez

12 Mar 2021

The big meter is the very last thing and you cannot have anything after it, therefore you need to forgo the big meter when using sonarworks in Reason and use another metering device before sonarworks. You want a device that has true peak metering and either RMS or preferably LUFS for the best results. If you're most comfortable with vu meters for mixing, get one. All of them or combinations of them are capable of providing the necessary information for a mix engineer to use and deliver the results that are required in terms of loudness and dynamics.

ianfellerman

12 Mar 2021

It just ruins my workflow to have pull up yet another vst and push around another window and I would love to just continue to use reasons master meter level. With this current routing, if i turn the gain all the way down on sonarworks, reasons master meter's signal is not affected, so I believe I've solved it but wanted to make sure I was not causing other problems for myself with this routing

buddard
RE Developer

13 Mar 2021

ianfellerman wrote:
12 Mar 2021
It just ruins my workflow to have pull up yet another vst and push around another window and I would love to just continue to use reasons master meter level. With this current routing, if i turn the gain all the way down on sonarworks, reasons master meter's signal is not affected, so I believe I've solved it but wanted to make sure I was not causing other problems for myself with this routing
I use LPM instead of the Big Meter, it's an RE so it's always visible in the rack. I add it last in the master FX chain, after the limiter.
I like this one because it has true peak metering and also measures LUFS (momentary, short term, long term), and can also be "synced" with the transport so that it resets automatically etc.
Very useful!

selig
RE Developer

13 Mar 2021

ianfellerman wrote:
12 Mar 2021
selig wrote:
12 Mar 2021
Just to be clear, when you write besides, you mean next to, correct? If so did I actually succeed in my goal of not having sonarworks reflected in my my master level meter but everything else is?

P.S. I'm a huge fan of everything selig!
Sorry, that was a typo - should have left off the "s" and said "beside the master fader".
I don't know what audio interface you have, but you could use a second output for monitoring via Sonarworks, leaving the main outs on the Big Meter. I can also recommend the free Youlean meter, though I find the Big Meter to work just as well, with LUFS = crest factor (peak minus RMS) in most cases (and I'm not worried about hitting an exact loudness level, as long as it sounds great).
https://youlean.co/youlean-loudness-meter/
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

13 Mar 2021

ianfellerman wrote:
12 Mar 2021
I can tell there's confusion here. You mean the meter you can see on the mixer view and not the big meter? For sure your routing works great now. I would just take sonar out of the mastering section inserts, for organisational purposes mainly, and perhaps for delay compensation issues that may arise.

Otherwise, your routing is fine and your master channel meter is before sonar, therefore you're good. I thought you meant the BIG meter which is located on the top section of the rack within the hardware interface.

ianfellerman

13 Mar 2021

Hey, yes talking about this meter.
Attachments
meter.jpg
meter.jpg (38.19 KiB) Viewed 451 times

ianfellerman

13 Mar 2021

Maybe explaining my reasoning more indepth. With this routing I want sonarworks on in my master section BUT i don't want it affecting reasons Master level meter. I believe this routing achieves this, because when I turn sonarworks gain all the way down, I lose audio, but the meter acts like everything is still on. What would be the issue of running reason this way?

PhillipOrdonez

13 Mar 2021

ianfellerman wrote:
13 Mar 2021
Hey, yes talking about this meter.
You're good to go, then.

• Information