Soundpacks available to buy for non Reason+ users?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Billy+

12 Mar 2021

nickb523 wrote:
12 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
12 Mar 2021

There is nothing worse than buying a preset pack based on a demo track only for the patches to not sound anything like they did in the demo.

Then you find out that they've been layered to fatten then sound within the tracks and run through an output chain that's saturated and maximised then to within 0.3db of clipping all while automating some macro that you didn't have any clue about. ;)
Many of the Walmart style ReFill developers are guilty of this. Over produced demos mixed, remixed, mixed again and then mastered to the point they are pushing -3 LUFS. By that stage it's hard to even make out the patches as you are pretty much listening to white noise.
Well it's good to hear that you're on the same page. Maybe I might trial plus when your packs get released!
Are you doing EDM styles?

nickb523
RE Developer

12 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
12 Mar 2021

Well it's good to hear that you're on the same page. Maybe I might trial plus when your packs get released!
My packs are primarily Electronica/Cinematic/Ambient focused although the patches can be used in a wide range of genres. My speciality is emotive atmospherics which isn't really a genre specific thing per se.

Here is a demo track of a forthcoming pack so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about (hope James doesn't mind the sneak peak!) -

The pack contains all the patches and the Reason file for people to pick through, adapt and remix till their hearts content.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (24.08 KiB) Viewed 1509 times

joeyluck

12 Mar 2021

Yeah and maybe they can spotlight full songs and do something special with that, such as "Explore how this song was made by this artist in Reason" or "See how this artist made this song in Logic" and it can include the song file, a walkthrough video/interview, or whatever.

I also understand that half of the Reason+ users are using another DAW. So it seems like a great idea to cover project files for compatible DAWs here and there. And an easy way to approach that and to spread the love without trying to include a file for ever DAW in with every pack, is by focusing on a popular song or pack and not doing it for every pack.

I just don't think it's necessary for every pack. Again, for most of them, I'd prefer to just have the patches to download and nothing else.

jamespember
Reason Studios

12 Mar 2021

nickb523 wrote:
12 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
12 Mar 2021

My packs are primarily Electronica/Cinematic/Ambient focused although the patches can be used in a wide range of genres. My speciality is emotive atmospherics which isn't really a genre specific thing per se.

Here is a demo track of a forthcoming pack so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about (hope James doesn't mind the sneak peak!) -

The pack contains all the patches and the Reason file for people to pick through, adapt and remix till their hearts content.

Capture.JPG
Not at all, share away!

jamespember
Reason Studios

12 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote:
12 Mar 2021
Yeah and maybe they can spotlight full songs and do something special with that, such as "Explore how this song was made by this artist in Reason" or "See how this artist made this song in Logic" and it can include the song file, a walkthrough video/interview, or whatever.
Exactly. Here are some example videos of a pack creator going through their creations and giving greater context to the sound design, which should help/inspire beginners and advanced users alike IMO.

These videos could also bundled together with tutorials, or project files too as you say Joey. So much opportunity!

tiker01

12 Mar 2021

jamespember wrote:
12 Mar 2021
joeyluck wrote:
12 Mar 2021
Exactly. Here are some example videos of a pack creator going through their creations and giving greater context to the sound design, which should help/inspire beginners and advanced users alike IMO.

These videos could also bundled together with tutorials, or project files too as you say Joey. So much opportunity!
Do you plan to pipe such content in a curated way into R+ companion?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

gbball

12 Mar 2021

jamespember wrote:
12 Mar 2021
joeyluck wrote:
12 Mar 2021

This would make Reason+ a lot more enticing for people who would rather buy perpetual licenses because it also becomes a training vehicle for sound design and potentially composition. It would be neat to see different people's workflows.

Also, I would suggest for Reason+, to allow former subscribers to still be able to login to browse what's there without being able to download anything.

nickb523
RE Developer

12 Mar 2021

jamespember wrote:
12 Mar 2021
joeyluck wrote:
12 Mar 2021

These types of videos should probably be on the pack page in the companion. It would help boost their views/subs/revenue and attract more of these multimedian muso types to the platform. On youtube Reason has minimal support at the moment with some of the biggest users like Venus Theory having only around 50k subs, which in 2021 youtube terms is absolutely tiny - You could help them to help you. ;)

Tracking down known pro users is another avenue. For example I saw a lot of people on the livestreams asking for a Com Truise pack. Sound packs like that would be very popular. Celebrity packs in general would be frigging gold. Could you imagine if back in 2004 you got Liam Howlett to do a sound pack that gave users access to a project file and patches? - Man, that would have been huge for the platform!

jamespember
Reason Studios

13 Mar 2021

nickb523 wrote:
12 Mar 2021
jamespember wrote:
12 Mar 2021

These types of videos should probably be on the pack page in the companion. It would help boost their views/subs/revenue and attract more of these multimedian muso types to the platform. On youtube Reason has minimal support at the moment with some of the biggest users like Venus Theory having only around 50k subs, which in 2021 youtube terms is absolutely tiny - You could help them to help you. ;)

Tracking down known pro users is another avenue. For example I saw a lot of people on the livestreams asking for a Com Truise pack. Sound packs like that would be very popular. Celebrity packs in general would be frigging gold. Could you imagine if back in 2004 you got Liam Howlett to do a sound pack that gave users access to a project file and patches? - Man, that would have been huge for the platform!
Yep! I think you are really onto something there. And yes, we have ideas of making the Packs "richer", i.e. adding more content like videos, tutorials and articles.

What do you all think about the audio previews? I know some users don't want them, whilst others enjoy getting the audio previews. I've seen some users throw those audio samples into samplers and chop them up etc.

nickb523
RE Developer

13 Mar 2021

jamespember wrote:
13 Mar 2021
What do you all think about the audio previews? I know some users don't want them, whilst others enjoy getting the audio previews. I've seen some users throw those audio samples into samplers and chop them up etc.
Initially that is what I thought the audio previews were for, so in my packs I spent a while rendering the full part stems including the tails just in case someone wanted to chop and loop them. Honestly, I'm not the best person to ask for this as I've never really worked with samples in that manner so it's of little value to me personally, but I could see some people wanting to use the audio - It depends entirely on working methods. I think some packs benefit from the audio inclusion like the Josh Mobley one which seems like it's been built specifically around that use case.

One thing is for sure they definitely bloat the packs sizes and are of little to no value for a lot of people. Another solution would be to add it to the pool of pack types I mentioned. You know, like Sound Packs, Sound Expanders, Player Patches, FX Patches and Sample Packs - So they are all different pack types. Maybe even have it in the installer section? Like a checkbox for "Include Audio" or something?

I don't know, I can already see issues as the packs often contain custom samples so this all causes a bit of confusion.

jamespember
Reason Studios

13 Mar 2021

nickb523 wrote:
13 Mar 2021
jamespember wrote:
13 Mar 2021
Initially that is what I thought the audio previews were for, so in my packs I spent a while rendering the full part stems including the tails just in case someone wanted to chop and loop them. Honestly, I'm not the best person to ask for this as I've never really worked with samples in that manner so it's of little value to me personally, but I could see some people wanting to use the audio - It depends entirely on working methods. I think some packs benefit from the audio inclusion like the Josh Mobley one which seems like it's been built specifically around that use case.

One thing is for sure they definitely bloat the packs sizes and are of little to no value for a lot of people. Another solution would be to add it to the pool of pack types I mentioned. You know, like Sound Packs, Sound Expanders, Player Patches, FX Patches and Sample Packs - So they are all different pack types. Maybe even have it in the installer section? Like a checkbox for "Include Audio" or something?

I don't know, I can already see issues as the packs often contain custom samples so this all causes a bit of confusion.
Right. Perhaps you could even separate out the audio samples and make them into their own packs as you say. And yeah I like the idea where you could customise what you download i.e. "include samples yes/no".

nickb523
RE Developer

13 Mar 2021

Another idea here.

The youtubers should probably also be covering the R+ platform on the whole, not just walkthroughs of their own packs. I saw a video from Jelie @ Kickback Couture where she was using Sean Murray's patches in the R+ Sound Pack Battle, more regular videos like that would be really interesting. I'm thinking something along the lines of FACT Mag's Against the Clock series where the challenge is to make a track in 10 mins -

Allow the creator/youtuber to crate dig in R+ and choose any 10 patches from any pack (this can be done beforehand, possibly even a separate video for them).
Once they have the 10 patches, start the clock and make a track/beat out of the material in 10 minutes (give or take a minute or two).
Allow the creator to enable ads and then prominently feature the video on the RS site and Companion. (you really need to help drive those views to make it worthwhile)

The big issue here is find a way to make it worthwhile for everyone. Most of the youtubers I'm seeing featured are really small players (under 100k subs) so you get a bit of a stalemate going on. I wouldn't have thought it worthwhile for RS to sponsor a creator that's only bringing in around 2k views or something, so letting them run ads while you push to drive traffic might be a solution. Tough to figure that one out.

Largely thinking aloud here but something like that once a month or so would be really entertaining content for everyone involved.

Steedus
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2021

^ love DDD!

aeox
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
11 Mar 2021
aeox wrote:
11 Mar 2021

Nope but i was making them anyway, i don't know if i've got the skills to do that but it's worth a try. i'll send them some packs and see what they say
Cool, what sort of genres are you doing?
I wasn't particularly going for genre specific packs yet. It's something I could try though.

Maybe I could make a poll and see what people are most interested in. This would help all creators :-)

Billy+

14 Mar 2021

aeox wrote:
14 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
11 Mar 2021

Cool, what sort of genres are you doing?
I wasn't particularly going for genre specific packs yet. It's something I could try though.

Maybe I could make a poll and see what people are most interested in. This would help all creators :-)
Unfortunately nothing that gets released as a content pack is going to help, I'm moving ship ;)
We are talking hours away from spending my Algorithm & upgrade cash on a different DAW.......

Sorry all but I'm fed up with the whole bull, well done :clap:

Gosh

15 Mar 2021

nickb523 wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
11 Mar 2021

That's different than when I posted with joey :- viewtopic.php?p=541957#p541957

I said way back then that the inclusion of the actual project files would be a good idea so that all the new users would be able to actually learn how to use Reason and the devices.

It's a shame that all that investment is going to waste on just rebranded refills. I was at least under the impression that the packs had more uses than new patches - being able to show new content in use would be a real incentive and including a project file that reproduce the demo song in full would really help new users understand the techniques used.
Some of the packs do contain the Reason files. I've completed 8 packs thus far and all of them have been supplied to RS with the Reason files. The inclusion of the song file is of immense educational value to users. In my early days I would have killed to have access to professional song files and patches.

Behind the scenes there have definitely been some changes to the format in literally the past two weeks and I really hope there isn't an intention to change the inclusion of the Reason files. The sound packs amounting to nothing more than micro ReFills would be a bit boring to be honest.
hi nick, i sincerely hope you will also release new refills. i don't want to subscribe but love your refills and rack extensions...
cheers

Loque

15 Mar 2021

nickb523 wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
11 Mar 2021

That's different than when I posted with joey :- viewtopic.php?p=541957#p541957

I said way back then that the inclusion of the actual project files would be a good idea so that all the new users would be able to actually learn how to use Reason and the devices.

It's a shame that all that investment is going to waste on just rebranded refills. I was at least under the impression that the packs had more uses than new patches - being able to show new content in use would be a real incentive and including a project file that reproduce the demo song in full would really help new users understand the techniques used.
Some of the packs do contain the Reason files. I've completed 8 packs thus far and all of them have been supplied to RS with the Reason files. The inclusion of the song file is of immense educational value to users. In my early days I would have killed to have access to professional song files and patches.

Behind the scenes there have definitely been some changes to the format in literally the past two weeks and I really hope there isn't an intention to change the inclusion of the Reason files. The sound packs amounting to nothing more than micro ReFills would be a bit boring to be honest.
Agree. I probably had killed for a song file too. The highest value in the packs for sure.
Reason12, Win10

nickb523
RE Developer

15 Mar 2021

Gosh wrote:
15 Mar 2021

hi nick, i sincerely hope you will also release new refills. i don't want to subscribe but love your refills and rack extensions...
cheers
Hey,

Currently I don't have plans to abandon ReFills. There are 2 new ones that started production recently but they aren't likely to come out until the end of this year. One is small project focused on found sounds for Grain and the other is a full SKP expansion for Algoritm. :)

They way I see it ReFills and the Sound Packs should be able to coexist quite nicely. Sound Packs act as excellent adverts for the bigger ReFill packs so I'm not too concerned about the future there.

With Rack Extensions I'm really unsure of where that is all going. Reason+ makes them kind of redundant for anyone new to the platform. I'd imagine some people will still have an interest in them but only time will tell.

Thanks for the support! :)

Gosh

16 Mar 2021

nickb523 wrote:
15 Mar 2021
Gosh wrote:
15 Mar 2021

cheers
Hey,

Currently I don't have plans to abandon ReFills. There are 2 new ones that started production recently but they aren't likely to come out until the end of this year. One is small project focused on found sounds for Grain and the other is a full SKP expansion for Algoritm. :)

They way I see it ReFills and the Sound Packs should be able to coexist quite nicely. Sound Packs act as excellent adverts for the bigger ReFill packs so I'm not too concerned about the future there.

With Rack Extensions I'm really unsure of where that is all going. Reason+ makes them kind of redundant for anyone new to the platform. I'd imagine some people will still have an interest in them but only time will tell.

Thanks for the support! :)
that's good to hear. i'm looking forward to your new refills, especially the one with the found sounds sounds very promising. i would also love to see new rack extensions from you (especially something in the vain of Aura-7 would be great) but i can understand your hesitation.
all the best

mcatalao
Competition Winner

16 Mar 2021

lowtom wrote:
11 Mar 2021
StephenHutchinson wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Here's a list of all current Sound Packs at this time, with their file sizes, listed from smallest to largest. Hope this helps. Screenshots:
SoundPacks-001.png
SoundPacks-002.png
This does not really make them favour as most of the size comes from audio previews or demo songs.
Presets themselves are very small in comparison.
When I trialed R+ I copied most of presets into my folders and got rid of the junky audio previews, which they should consider making as .ogg files.
That depends on the package. A smaller package built on patches will have a bigger part in sound demos and songs.
But the bigger sample based packages, will have a big part on the patch samples.

As for other things in life, package size isn't equivalent to quality!

• Information