Soundpacks available to buy for non Reason+ users?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Magnus101

10 Mar 2021

I saw that you released a lot of soundpacks for the new Algoritm RE that could be available to download for Reason+ users.
I was a 100% sure that you would release them to us non-subscribers to pay for.
Haven't bought Algorithm yet, wanted to wait for this to be answered.
But, I can't find them in the store!
Are you so greedy that you now have created a new category, soundpacks, instead of the standard "refills", THEN just create a few number of not-so-good "factory" sounds for new instruments, forcing people to pay for the subscripton to get the "good stuff"?
You could just as well just create a new RE with no presets at all and force users to subscribe to Reason+ for the "Soundpacks".

If not true , if I didn't search good enough in the store, then I apologize.
If true, then all you said that "it will be exactly the same" for us non subscribers is just utter (Wanted to say something stronger)...lies!

Billy+

10 Mar 2021

Magnus101 wrote:
10 Mar 2021
I saw that you released a lot of soundpacks for the new Algoritm RE that could be available to download for Reason+ users.
I was a 100% sure that you would release them to us non-subscribers to pay for.
Haven't bought Algorithm yet, wanted to wait for this to be answered.
But, I can't find them in the store!
Are you so greedy that you now have created a new category, soundpacks, instead of the standard "refills", THEN just create a few number of not-so-good "factory" sounds for new instruments, forcing people to pay for the subscripton to get the "good stuff"?
You could just as well just create a new RE with no presets at all and force users to subscribe to Reason+ for the "Soundpacks".

If not true , if I didn't search good enough in the store, then I apologize.
If true, then all you said that "it will be exactly the same" for us non subscribers is just utter (Wanted to say something stronger)...lies!
Sound packs are the incentive to subscription, you can trial plus if you want to get your hands on them.

PhillipOrdonez

10 Mar 2021

They sell them for 20 bucks. Just subscribe for a month and save them all. Or use the free trial. Future sound packs will be 20 bucks each time. The longer you wait, the more packs will be available for the same 20. 🤑

Billy+

10 Mar 2021

This is today's

https://share.reasonstudios.com/pack/199

You get a few / several each week
Check the current crop here :- https://share.reasonstudios.com

Billy+

10 Mar 2021

And this is the blog thread for the ones made available

https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/category/sound-packs

joeyluck

10 Mar 2021

Magnus101 wrote:
10 Mar 2021
...THEN just create a few number of not-so-good "factory" sounds for new instruments, forcing people to pay for the subscripton to get the "good stuff"?
You should start by trying Algoritm. Or as suggested here, you can try Reason+ which will get you access to both Algoritm and the sound packs.

But rest assured that there is certainly no effort to deliver "not-so-good" factory presets :) I don't know why anybody would do that. Algoritm's presets are amazing. Among the factory presets, you will find patches by Plugin Guru (John Lehmkuhl), who goes by my typical initials in the Algoritm presets (JL) :D So seeing as they got a well-known sound designer to contribute to the factory presets, I don't think your theory sticks. And aside from his, there are tons of incredible presets—over 250.

The sound packs with Reason+ have also been very good, but they are a separate thing. They are great for further exploring Algoritm, but a great bonus to the wealth of patches already included.

WOO

10 Mar 2021

What is the average size of these sound packs? The reason I'm asking is because my internet is super slow. Took about 12 hours to download reason 11 suite. That's the one downside to living in rural America in the 21st century.

StephenHutchinson

11 Mar 2021

Here's a list of all current Sound Packs at this time, with their file sizes, listed from smallest to largest. Hope this helps. Screenshots:
SoundPacks-001.png
SoundPacks-001.png (191.53 KiB) Viewed 2771 times
SoundPacks-002.png
SoundPacks-002.png (98.93 KiB) Viewed 2771 times
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

lowtom

11 Mar 2021

StephenHutchinson wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Here's a list of all current Sound Packs at this time, with their file sizes, listed from smallest to largest. Hope this helps. Screenshots:
SoundPacks-001.png
SoundPacks-002.png
This does not really make them favour as most of the size comes from audio previews or demo songs.
Presets themselves are very small in comparison.
When I trialed R+ I copied most of presets into my folders and got rid of the junky audio previews, which they should consider making as .ogg files.
:reason: :refill: :re:

StephenHutchinson

11 Mar 2021

lowtom wrote:
11 Mar 2021
StephenHutchinson wrote:
11 Mar 2021
SoundPacks-001.png
SoundPacks-002.png
This does not really make them favour as most of the size comes from audio previews or demo songs.
Presets themselves are very small in comparison.
When I trialed R+ I copied most of presets into my folders and got rid of the junky audio previews, which they should consider making as .ogg files.
I understand what you're saying. :puf_smile: At first I was wondering why have the audio previews at all... then after taking some time to look into a bunch of folders, it became more clear. Some patches don't match their audio counter parts... there is some tweaking you may have to do to the patch to make it sound exactly (or as close to exactly) the same as the audio preview. This may mean twiddling with the mod wheel (where the parameter info isn't saved in the patch) or some other kind of tweaking. So now I look at them as references.

For example, in Seán Murray's "Dark Pop" sound pack (see screenshot below), there is a "Retro Thor" patch that I opened up and noticed that it doesn't sound the same as the "Retro Thor" audio file... At first I was perplexed until I realized that that the modwheel probably wasn't in the proper position to replicate the sound in the audio file. When I moved the mod wheel, it sounded much more like the audio file until it completely matched.
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 3.16.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 3.16.29 AM.png (55.95 KiB) Viewed 2734 times
In creating my own commercial ReFills, I have always added discrete values for the modwheel parameters for Combinators, patches etc. so that the user can find the exact position to replicate what I have created. I even go so far as to make notations in the reference guide that comes with each ReFill so that the user will understand how the modwheel is supposed to be positioned.

This is one thing I wish could be fixed in Reason, in that when you save a patch, it doesn't save the position of the modwheel.

Also, not all of the sound pack folders are consistent in terms of what you will find inside. Some have only audio previews of songs, others include the individual patches with previews. Still others will include samples and/or reason songs. So each sound pack is unique in what it offers, depending on how the artist wishes to share their work.

Lastly, yes some of the sound packs are quite huge. "Cinematic Gamescapes for example... The patches are only 1.7mb... whereas the audio prviews are huge. Using something like .OGG might be of benefit for people who aren't on super high speed internet. Lossless compression has come a long way, so I get what you're saying. :puf_smile:

DaveyG

11 Mar 2021

If the soundpacks continue to be produced at this rate they are desperately going to need a better browser/librarian to keep them under control.

Billy+

11 Mar 2021

I was under the impression that they included a reason song file that allowed you to see the content in use, but from what I'm reading that is not the case and actually all your getting is processed audio files? Along with the patches.

deeplink
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
11 Mar 2021
I was under the impression that they included a reason song file that allowed you to see the content in use, but from what I'm reading that is not the case and actually all your getting is processed audio files? Along with the patches.
No Reason files
It's the separate wave of the demo used in the Demo Song
As well as the individual patches
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Billy+

11 Mar 2021

deeplink wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
11 Mar 2021
No Reason files
That's different than when I posted with joey :- viewtopic.php?p=541957#p541957

I said way back then that the inclusion of the actual project files would be a good idea so that all the new users would be able to actually learn how to use Reason and the devices.

It's a shame that all that investment is going to waste on just rebranded refills. I was at least under the impression that the packs had more uses than new patches - being able to show new content in use would be a real incentive and including a project file that reproduce the demo song in full would really help new users understand the techniques used.

Rappelled Hero

11 Mar 2021

Quick question for Reason+ users; is there a way to download all Sound Packs with one click, or do you have to go through and click a button next to every soundpack?

nickb523
RE Developer

11 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
11 Mar 2021
deeplink wrote:
11 Mar 2021

No Reason files

I said way back then that the inclusion of the actual project files would be a good idea so that all the new users would be able to actually learn how to use Reason and the devices.

It's a shame that all that investment is going to waste on just rebranded refills. I was at least under the impression that the packs had more uses than new patches - being able to show new content in use would be a real incentive and including a project file that reproduce the demo song in full would really help new users understand the techniques used.
Some of the packs do contain the Reason files. I've completed 8 packs thus far and all of them have been supplied to RS with the Reason files. The inclusion of the song file is of immense educational value to users. In my early days I would have killed to have access to professional song files and patches.

Behind the scenes there have definitely been some changes to the format in literally the past two weeks and I really hope there isn't an intention to change the inclusion of the Reason files. The sound packs amounting to nothing more than micro ReFills would be a bit boring to be honest.

Billy+

11 Mar 2021

nickb523 wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
11 Mar 2021

Some of the packs do contain the Reason files. I've completed 8 packs thus far and all of them have been supplied to RS with the Reason files. The inclusion of the song file is of immense educational value to users. In my early days I would have killed to have access to professional song files and patches.

Behind the scenes there have definitely been some changes to the format in literally the past two weeks and I really hope there isn't an intention to change the inclusion of the Reason files. The sound packs amounting to nothing more than micro ReFills would be a bit boring to be honest.
So you are a content pack creator?

To be fair like I said I thought that the packs had been including project files, and I agree the inclusion of the demo song is probably the most valuable learning resource for a new user. Being able to access the content is one thing but having access to a project is far more valuable when your getting into something new.

I was really enjoying pulling the patches apart that got released prior to plus being launched - the free ones from the blog.

nickb523
RE Developer

11 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
11 Mar 2021

To be fair like I said I thought that the packs had been including project files, and I agree the inclusion of the demo song is probably the most valuable learning resource for a new user. Being able to access the content is one thing but having access to a project is far more valuable when your getting into something new.

I was really enjoying pulling the patches apart that got released prior to plus being launched - the free ones from the blog.
Yes, there are 8 SKP packs queued up for future release. I don't know the internal plans but they are coming at some point.

At the moment, from digging through the Companion as far as I can see there are two distinctive types of packs:

1.  A theme based construction kit that contains a 1-2 minute song, the stem audio parts and 6-15 Reason patches. These packs are usually named in a way that is open to artistic interpretation such as "Summer Day", "I Can Fly" or "Heart Wrench". These patches often (and should) contain the song file as that file acts as a tutorial clearly illustrating how the included patches are intended to be used. These packs are a great source of inspiration and are also of immense educational value to users.

2.  A more utilitarian approach much like a micro ReFill, the recent Algoritm packs are good examples of this pack type. These packs are named a bit differently, usually something more direct along the lines of "Growl Basses", "EDM Pads" or "Big Room Leads" - These packs always contain 10 patches that are focused on on the title description. They do not usually contain a song file and the demo often contains elements such as drums that are not included in the pack itself. These packs are pretty much micro ReFills, the approach to creating and marketing them is identical. 

I would suggest that these packs should probably have separate designations. With type 1 being "Sound Packs" and type 2 being something like "Sound Expansions" or even just "Micro ReFill" - They are clearly very different in approach so could probably do with some indication of that. 

I think a lot of the issues I'm seeing are related to these two distinctive pack types being mixed together with no designation on pack type. This confusion seems to be everywhere from people on social media to developers/content creators and even Reason Studios themselves. A lot of people do not seem to understand what the packs purposes are. Some people say they are a source of inspiration, some call them construction kits, some call them ReFills and others seem to think they are sample packs where the audio would be more of a focus - There is lots of confusion out there. 

WOO

11 Mar 2021

StephenHutchinson wrote:
11 Mar 2021
SoundPacks-001.png
SoundPacks-002.png
Ok thanks for the screenshot. Helps with my decision to sign up for the free trail of reason plus and grab as many of these as I can during the next 30 days!

Billy+

11 Mar 2021

nickb523 wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
11 Mar 2021

Yes, there are 8 SKP packs queued up for future release. I don't know the internal plans but they are coming at some point.

At the moment, from digging through the Companion as far as I can see there are two distinctive types of packs:

1.  A theme based construction kit that contains a 1-2 minute song, the stem audio parts and 6-15 Reason patches. These packs are usually named in a way that is open to artistic interpretation such as "Summer Day", "I Can Fly" or "Heart Wrench". These patches often (and should) contain the song file as that file acts as a tutorial clearly illustrating how the included patches are intended to be used. These packs are a great source of inspiration and are also of immense educational value to users.

2.  A more utilitarian approach much like a micro ReFill, the recent Algoritm packs are good examples of this pack type. These packs are named a bit differently, usually something more direct along the lines of "Growl Basses", "EDM Pads" or "Big Room Leads" - These packs always contain 10 patches that are focused on on the title description. They do not usually contain a song file and the demo often contains elements such as drums that are not included in the pack itself. These packs are pretty much micro ReFills, the approach to creating and marketing them is identical. 

I would suggest that these packs should probably have separate designations. With type 1 being "Sound Packs" and type 2 being something like "Sound Expansions" or even just "Micro ReFill" - They are clearly very different in approach so could probably do with some indication of that. 

I think a lot of the issues I'm seeing are related to these two distinctive pack types being mixed together with no designation on pack type. This confusion seems to be everywhere from people on social media to developers/content creators and even Reason Studios themselves. A lot of people do not seem to understand what the packs purposes are. Some people say they are a source of inspiration, some call them construction kits, some call them ReFills and others seem to think they are sample packs where the audio would be more of a focus - There is lots of confusion out there. 
Well :thumbs_up: for seeing the potential purpose as more than just a refill and including a project file with yours.

And it's a shame to hear that there is confusion over the process as it seems like a large amount of resources have been put into the whole plus / project / ecosystem and even though I don't agree with it I would still like to see it succeed as I'm a long term owner who would like to continue with Reason, I've always loved the product and never liked any of the other DAW's and it would be a shame to see Reason fall after all these years just because they backed the wrong horse.....

And thanks for coming here and putting things in black and white :clap:

StephenHutchinson

11 Mar 2021

WOO wrote:
11 Mar 2021
StephenHutchinson wrote:
11 Mar 2021
SoundPacks-001.png
SoundPacks-002.png
Ok thanks for the screenshot. Helps with my decision to sign up for the free trail of reason plus and grab as many of these as I can during the next 30 days!
You're most welcome. I can completely understand rural areas with low internet speeds. My parents live in such a place and get modem speeds barely above an old US Robotics 56K modem... so yes... I can completely empathize with your situation. :thumbup:

david1806

11 Mar 2021

Soundpacks? Yet something else for me to discover since getting Reason+ a couple of days ago! Have no idea what they are yet! I am guessing pre-set sounds.....? I think I have enough to be getting on with for now....!

Lordy, does it ever end (and I mean that in a good way!) :D

demt

11 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
11 Mar 2021
nickb523 wrote:
11 Mar 2021

Well :thumbs_up: for seeing the potential purpose as more than just a refill and including a project file with yours.

And it's a shame to hear that there is confusion over the process as it seems like a large amount of resources have been put into the whole plus / project / ecosystem and even though I don't agree with it I would still like to see it succeed as I'm a long term owner who would like to continue with Reason, I've always loved the product and never liked any of the other DAW's and it would be a shame to see Reason fall after all these years just because they backed the wrong horse.....

And thanks for coming here and putting things in black and white :clap:
Isle ,armed with this info, play around with new content.really didn't have a clue...absolute blank on how to use R+.
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

jamespember
Reason Studios

11 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Some packs have project files included, others don't. We are still experimenting here and gathering feedback from users on the idea. Personally, I like the idea, but we need more feedback. To get the project file to see how the demo was constructed and get some insightful tips on how the sounds were created and used, feels interesting to me. That said, half of the user base are working in another DAW, so we'd need to find a way to make that a logical process.

jamespember
Reason Studios

11 Mar 2021

nickb523 wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
11 Mar 2021

I really like this idea. Another "theme" or category we've been playing around with is purely pattern-based/player patches. Things like https://share.reasonstudios.com/pack/197. This pack is 80 Drum Sequencer patterns. Maybe that fits into "Sound Expansions" though, or could be it's own "Player Patterns" category.

• Information