Reason in a live environment

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Barriott

06 Mar 2021

Hi.

I'm fairly new to the idea of this.

Reason asks to be linked to the internet every time I load of an instance of it. If I playing, or indeed practicing in a place that doesn't have the t'net I'll be stuck in demo mode and unable to access rack extensions etc

Does anyone know s way of getting round this?

antic604

06 Mar 2021

Barriott wrote:
06 Mar 2021
Ignition Key? But only if you're on Windows and this might not work for too long either.

Just switch to some other DAW, before you spend too much money on Reason and REs.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

stillifegaijin

06 Mar 2021

You can currently write authorization licenses to 1 ignition key and 1 computer. This negates any need to have internet. When you authorize the licenses you need to do it for both Reason and for your Rack Extensions. You can sync all licenses from your Reason account using the "Manage License" links under Reason and Rack Extensions.

Before COVID cancelled all my live performances I had been using Reason live since 2004. Sometimes just for synth sounds, sometimes for full backing tracks, effects, and midi program changes. I have an Ignition Key with one set of authorizations plugged into my desktop (Note antic604 is wrong about Ignition Key being only for Windows. Ignition Keys work fine with Apple/Mac and always have) and I have another set of authorization on my laptop specifically for live performance.

Another note - from what I understand Reason+ does not currently support any offline authorizations so it's basically useless for live performance without a stable and constant internet connection. But all previous versions of Reason will be fine if you authorize both Reason and Rack Extensions licenses to your laptop.

antic604

06 Mar 2021

stillifegaijin wrote:
06 Mar 2021
(Note antic604 is wrong about Ignition Key being only for Windows. Ignition Keys work fine with Apple/Mac and always have)
Sorry, I wasn't precise in my post. It works on Apple computers right now, but not for long and as they confirmed on the R+ livestream it won't be taken care of:

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... -statement
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

dioxide

06 Mar 2021

If you're demoing a RE, you will need an internet connection to run it. For everything else you can authorise your computer. The Ignition Key isn't going to be supported going forward, and we're waiting to see how Reason Studios replace this.

stillifegaijin

06 Mar 2021

antic604 wrote:
06 Mar 2021
stillifegaijin wrote:
06 Mar 2021
(Note antic604 is wrong about Ignition Key being only for Windows. Ignition Keys work fine with Apple/Mac and always have)
Sorry, I wasn't precise in my post. It works on Apple computers right now, but not for long and as they confirmed on the R+ livestream it won't be taken care of:

Good clarification and certainly important info for everyone to keep in mind moving forward!

Billy+

06 Mar 2021

As things stand companion is the replacement for code meter / authorizer and possibly an offline solution might appear in the future for subscribers.

OS X big sur isn't supported but windows 10 should be fine for ignition until that changes but without any clear guidance other than ignition keys are discontinued you should expect that computer auth via the website is what your left with, your system should be fine with that unless you're running RE demos at which point you will have to login to use them.

moneykube

06 Mar 2021

Barriott wrote:
06 Mar 2021
Hi.

I'm fairly new to the idea of this.

Reason asks to be linked to the internet every time I load of an instance of it. If I playing, or indeed practicing in a place that doesn't have the t'net I'll be stuck in demo mode and unable to access rack extensions etc

antic604 wrote:
06 Mar 2021
stillifegaijin wrote:
06 Mar 2021

they need to fix offline authorization... I also have to log in and license every time now on Mac, and I am not subscribed to plus , nor am I running any trials or beta testing... even reverted to reason 11/3.16 which solved the problem for about a week... and now it's wonky again... we need the ability to authorize our computers without this nonsense !
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Barriott

06 Mar 2021

Thanks for the replies

I really hope they get it sorted out.

To me it seems like a fairly glaring issue. I understand why they need to put such measures in place but the solution shouldn't get in the way of legit users.

Im a suite user and have recently given the subscription ago. So in order for me to use something I don't own but comes with R+ like algoritm I must be playing some where with a internet connection. It's way to scary. I want to be absolutely sure it'll work.

LongFist

08 Mar 2021

Because I'm more of a take-charge person, I attacked this problem (remote authorization) from another angle: I use my phone's DataNet/Tether. Yep. I connected my Motorola Z4 (cell phone) to my computer via BlueTooth, and then told the cell phone to start passing 'net data to the computer. Instantly (and securely, even) my laptop (where Reason resides) could see the net, could authorize, and away I went! Live (and/or Remote) performance enabled!!! :clap:

As an Engineer, I spend lots of time thinking about problems, issues, and challenges. Unfortunately, since I am an Engineer, I'm expected to solve those problems, issues, and challenges myself. ("You're so smart, you figure it out!") Thus the Cell phone/Internet relay. And I'm told by my kids that everybody's phone can do this - it's not special any more. But folks, I mention it here because it works. No fuss, no muss, no missed opportunities. It just works.

I'm sure nobody else here will be able to use this solution for whatever reasons (and I didn't post it to argue with you; feel free to ignore this advice if it doesn't/can't/won't apply to you) I posted it here because somewhere, somehow, there is a live performer who lives off of his cell phone and will suddenly get a glimmer of hope, will try it, connect, authorize, and - against all odds - perform LIVE again!!!

Everybody else will just have to gripe about it. But that's how the ball bounces, the grass being greener on the other side of the fence and all. :lol:

(Oh, and I am a Reason+ user. And I think I like it.)
:rebirth: 2.0.1 :recycle: 2.2 :reload: 1.0 :record: 1.0 :reason: 11 Suite :reason:+ ________ :arrow: Love the entire product line!

stripedkeys

10 Mar 2021

LongFist wrote:
08 Mar 2021
I'm sure nobody else here will be able to use this solution for whatever reasons (and I didn't post it to argue with you; feel free to ignore this advice if it doesn't/can't/won't apply to you) I posted it here because somewhere, somehow, there is a live performer who lives off of his cell phone and will suddenly get a glimmer of hope, will try it, connect, authorize, and - against all odds - perform LIVE again!!!
It's good that you shared this, and this is exactly what I did in a recent rehearsal with the band. Personally, I'm not willing to accept the risk of a cell phone issue, Internet issue, lack of service, etc., when I'm relying on Reason for a gig. But as you say, some will find this workaround perfectly acceptable.

Jackjackdaw

11 Mar 2021

Sometimes the authorizer craps out even if there are not any demos installed. I had this happen at a rehearsal. It was a very informal affair so it didn't matter but it was enough to make me not trust it. I wouldn't trust a 4g connection either. What if your venue has thick walls, is in a basement or whatever. So I looked at getting an ignition key and they have been discontinued!

It's a shame because Reason is the only software solution that is stable enough for me to trust.

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2021

You only need to be connected to the internet to create/open a project. Maybe you could open your project at home and just leave your laptop on standby.

I rarely shut down my laptop, so when I have used Reason for live performance it was usually open and set up at home.

You can disable any VSTs you're not using.

Jackjackdaw

11 Mar 2021

After a long hard think I realised I was barking up the wrong tree. I'm putting together a hardware rig for gigs and that'll be the end of it! Got plenty of time at the moment to piece it together at least. The home studio can stay at home.

dioxide

11 Mar 2021

The cellphone solution works but yes you need this for every time you open a file. My live set is more like DJing with Reason files so I might open 14 Reason files as part of a set. I wouldn't want to rely on my phone connection for this.

• Information