Where is Reason going ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
joeyluck

06 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
06 Mar 2021
joeyluck wrote:
06 Mar 2021

Because they are a separate product?

Do you have this same view when it comes to ReFills?
Content packs and refill are two completely different things.

I get that you see thing your way and I see it very differently and that we definitely won't be agreeing on this anytime soon, but you keep saying I could try it really misses my point and is disingenuous to my perspective over this.

I'm fairly certain that had RS given companion access including its content packs to everyone then the notion of a subscription service would have passed with minimal fuss just like the RE subscriptions from 2017.
Your view is certainly unique and the only one I've seen of its kind relating to Reason+

I've seen people happy to subscribe or try Reason+ to get the sound packs.

I've seen people say the sound packs simply aren't for them.

I've seen others say they'd like to see price tiers because they just want the sound packs (although there can be compatibility issues because designers are free to use any Reason+ device). But I think it can be done with disclaimers.

You're the only one I see arguing that you should get access to the sound packs for free, yet unwilling to even use the Reason+ trial. You literally are invited to try it free for 30 days and can get all of the sound packs today and for the rest of the month.

It's like you have a love hate relationship with Reason+ :)

Billy+

06 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote:
06 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
06 Mar 2021

Content packs and refill are two completely different things.

I get that you see thing your way and I see it very differently and that we definitely won't be agreeing on this anytime soon, but you keep saying I could try it really misses my point and is disingenuous to my perspective over this.

I'm fairly certain that had RS given companion access including its content packs to everyone then the notion of a subscription service would have passed with minimal fuss just like the RE subscriptions from 2017.
Your view is certainly unique and the only one I've seen of its kind relating to Reason+

I've seen people happy to subscribe or try Reason+ to get the sound packs.

I've seen people say the sound packs simply aren't for them.

I've seen others say they'd like to see price tiers because they just want the sound packs (although there can be compatibility issues because designers are free to use any Reason+ device). But I think it can be done with disclaimers.

You're the only one I see arguing that you should get access to the sound packs for free, yet unwilling to even use the Reason+ trial. You literally are invited to try it free for 30 days and can get all of the sound packs today and for the rest of the month.

It's like you have a love hate relationship with Reason+ :)
Not at all, I use Reason and I see the + like loopcloud or similar the free stuff that you get each week that maybe every now and again you find something you like but more often than not it's just something to pass time looking through.

EdwardKiy

06 Mar 2021

integerpoet wrote:
06 Mar 2021
tronam wrote:
05 Mar 2021
It will take a lot for me to switch back now because of so many common missing features I’ve grown accustomed to…
What are the top 5 features absent from Reason-the-DAW? I am both curious and ignorant.

Why 5? Let's take a 1000 and go from bottom up.

#1000: Menial task of duplicating 2 bars so the rest of the track moves 2 bars to the side. How many actions will it take you? (Some competitors (Live) do this in 2 actions: mouse select + hotkey)
how many actions will it take you.JPG
how many actions will it take you.JPG (664.59 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
Tell me when you're ready for #999.

It's so funny, there are only two forums where people share information about reason + there's youtube. All three sources currently have Reason completely pissed on by an overwhelming 80%+. These people are, obviously, just stupid and jelly (of something, I don't know) and RS know better. As is common knowledge, selling something that has 2/10 positive ratings from current user base to a new user base is a piece of cake - that's basically how it's done, a recipe for success.

And it's not like the DAW shortcomings are hidden behind a learning curve. These aggressive forum nerds should just shut up and abandon a 1( or 20)-year investment of time and money and pick up a new DAW that they will like. Shame on them to assume that features available in all competitor DAWs should be there in Reason too, so self-entitled. The nerve to be unhappy with getting the "Nothing + a FU" Bundle instead of something they were screaming they needed for years. Who could've possibly anticipated such a negative reaction? Also inconceivable how the 3rd party developers who helped Reason become Reason while making money for Reason are unhappy with being silently choked. It's not like they could have their livelihoods built around that work they did for decades.

Poor poor RS, just let them be, you meanies.

antic604

06 Mar 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
06 Mar 2021
#1000: Menial task of duplicating 2 bars so the rest of the track moves 2 bars to the side. How many actions will it take you? (Some competitors (Live) do this in 2 actions: mouse select + hotkey)
Page #198 of Operations Manual:

Screenshot from 2021-03-06 21-18-05.png
Screenshot from 2021-03-06 21-18-05.png (414.83 KiB) Viewed 2321 times
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

EdwardKiy

06 Mar 2021

antic604 wrote:
06 Mar 2021
EdwardKiy wrote:
06 Mar 2021

Doesn't move the rest of the track 2 bars to the side, sorry. You get 0 points. Also, post number of actions.

antic604

06 Mar 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
06 Mar 2021
Doesn't move the rest of the track 2 bars to the side, sorry. You get 0 points. Also, post number of actions.
It does, though.
Music tech enthusiast.

Rappelled Hero

06 Mar 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
06 Mar 2021
antic604 wrote:
06 Mar 2021

Yes it does. It pushes the whole track to the side by 2 bars. You can then slice the previous 2 bars using the razor tool in the ruler, and then select those clips and drag copy them to the new empty space (alt+drag and drop).

4 steps.

EdwardKiy

06 Mar 2021

antic604 wrote:
06 Mar 2021
EdwardKiy wrote:
06 Mar 2021
It does, though.
You are right. My bad. Never worked for me previously, but whatever. How many actions?

EdwardKiy

06 Mar 2021

antic604 wrote:
06 Mar 2021
Rappelled Hero wrote:
06 Mar 2021

Apologies again, but you are both wrong. It doesn't duplicate, just makes space for a duplicate, which you then have to slice and do manually. Task incomplete. 4 actions are just to make space for a duplicate. Unless you know of a shorter way.
Last edited by EdwardKiy on 06 Mar 2021, edited 1 time in total.

antic604

06 Mar 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
06 Mar 2021
You are right. My bad. Never worked for me previously, but whatever. How many actions?
Haven't you tried it right just now? ;)

As you can probably tell from my screenshot, I'm on Linux so obviously Reason doesn't run there. But I'm guessing 5?
1) Select clips you want copied
2) Ctrl+L to set loop to selection
3) right click or go to Edit menu
4) Select "Insert bars"
5) Ctrl+drag the selected clips to new location
Music tech enthusiast.

EdwardKiy

06 Mar 2021

[/quote]

[/quote]

I mean, I DID try it just now, but there's a year-old thread where I was asking just about this and got the same response that it's done easily and it didn't work for me, because it did not, in fact, duplicate a bar, so I just forgot. I've avoided these type of actions because of how cumbersome they are and it affects the way I work, and not in a good way.

EdwardKiy

06 Mar 2021

antic604 wrote:
06 Mar 2021
EdwardKiy wrote:
06 Mar 2021

As you can probably tell from my screenshot, I'm on Linux so obviously Reason doesn't run there. But I'm guessing 5?
4) Select "Insert bars"

2) no, I don't want to duplicate a loop, but a fragment of it. This turns setting markers into FOUR separate actions. You are now up to a minimum of 9. Edit: sorry, 8. Pretty drunk here atm.

But can you see my point here? 8 > 2? This kind of math I can still do
Last edited by EdwardKiy on 06 Mar 2021, edited 1 time in total.

antic604

06 Mar 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
06 Mar 2021
antic604 wrote:
06 Mar 2021

4) Select "Insert bars"

2) no, I don't want to duplicate a loop, but a fragment of it. This turns setting markers into FOUR separate actions. You are now up to a minimum of 9.
It doesn't duplicate the loop. It just uses the loop locators to determine where to make the cut and how many bars of empty space to insert. You then move or duplicate whatever you want into that empty space.

I never said it's perfect or faster than in other DAWs.

I'm just refusing your claim that all of this has to be done manually.
Music tech enthusiast.

Rappelled Hero

06 Mar 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
06 Mar 2021
antic604 wrote:
06 Mar 2021
Rappelled Hero wrote:
06 Mar 2021

Apologies again, but you are both wrong. It doesn't duplicate, just makes space for a duplicate, which you then have to slice and do manually. Task incomplete. 4 actions are just to make space for a duplicate. Unless you know of a shorter way.

It depends how granular you want to get with what is and isn't a step. Here it is in 3 simple points:

1) Place L and R points in the ruler where new space is needed and right click and choose insert bars
2) Change to razor tool and draw a slice in the ruler at the top of the sequencer above the parts needed for this new space
3) Select all those new sliced parts and alt+click drag them into the new 2 bar empty space to copy them there

It's hardly difficult to do and hardly needs to be done that frequently when composing unless you compose like a weirdo!

EdwardKiy

06 Mar 2021

antic604 wrote:
06 Mar 2021
EdwardKiy wrote:
06 Mar 2021

2) no, I don't want to duplicate a loop, but a fragment of it. This turns setting markers into FOUR separate actions. You are now up to a minimum of 9.
It doesn't duplicate the loop. It just uses the loop locators to determine where to make the cut and how many bars of empty space to insert. You then move or duplicate whatever you want into that empty space.

I never said it's perfect or faster than in other DAWs.

I'm just refusing your claim that all of this has to be done manually.
Let it in, man. Just setting left and right markers before duplicating a loop fragment is click + hotkey, click+hotkey. That's as "manual" as it gets, if you compare it to "select + hotkey" to have the whole thing done and forgotten in Live.

antic604

06 Mar 2021

Rappelled Hero wrote:
06 Mar 2021
...hardly needs to be done that frequently when composing unless you compose like a weirdo!
In which case Blocks is a blessing ;)
Music tech enthusiast.

Billy+

06 Mar 2021

Does live automatically slice the clips ?

antic604

06 Mar 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
06 Mar 2021
...if you compare it to "select + hotkey" to have the whole thing done and forgotten in Live.
Last time I checked selecting stuff and pressing a hotkey are both MANUAL actions, too :)
Music tech enthusiast.

antic604

06 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
06 Mar 2021
I'm not aware of any DAW that doesn't.
Music tech enthusiast.

EdwardKiy

06 Mar 2021

Rappelled Hero wrote:
06 Mar 2021
EdwardKiy wrote:
06 Mar 2021

It depends how granular you want to get with what is and isn't a step. Here it is in 3 simple points:

1) Place L and R points in the ruler where new space is needed and right click and choose insert bars
2) Change to razor tool and draw a slice in the ruler at the top of the sequencer above the parts needed for this new space
3) Select all those new sliced parts and alt+click drag them into the new 2 bar empty space to copy them there

It's hardly difficult to do and hardly needs to be done that frequently when composing unless you compose like a weirdo!
not granular at all. just want 2 friggin bars duplicated.
your simple step 1 is 6 actions (select + hotkey left marker, select + hotkey right marker, right click, click "insert")
step 2 is 3 actions (select tool + 2 cuts)
step 3 is 2 action (select with mouse and move while holding hotkey, could count as 3 actions but whatever, I'm only trying to make a point here)

= 10 actions (which require some degree of expertise)

Rappelled Hero

06 Mar 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
06 Mar 2021
Rappelled Hero wrote:
06 Mar 2021

not granular at all. just want 2 friggin bars duplicated.
your simple step 1 is 6 actions (select + hotkey left marker, select + hotkey right marker, right click, click "insert")
step 2 is 3 actions (select tool + 2 cuts)
step 3 is 2 action (select with mouse and move while holding hotkey, could count as 3 actions but whatever, I'm only trying to make a point here)

= 10 actions (which require some degree of expertise)
If you need this functionality frequently, and find it difficult following the simple steps I provided any time you do, then just get Autohotkey on Windows or Keyboardmaestro on Mac and write yourself a macro to automate those actions with a couple of key presses on your computer.

Alternatively, if you want to stay 100% in Reason, you could try composing using Blocks which makes it really easy to arrange your song using a single top level track!

Billy+

06 Mar 2021

antic604 wrote:
06 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
06 Mar 2021
Thanks.

So R for razor tool on the top time line will cut all track below, using insert between locations should create space and alt drag will duplicate any selected, that's what we are talking about?

integerpoet

06 Mar 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
06 Mar 2021
integerpoet wrote:
06 Mar 2021
What are the top 5 features absent from Reason-the-DAW? I am both curious and ignorant.
Why 5? Let's take a 1000 and go from bottom up.
I asked for a top 5 because I wanted to find out which seem most important to most people. I wanted to get a sense of the magnitude of deficiencies I might not know about. I'm not interested in an exhaustive laundry list of things Reason could theoretically do. If that's what I wanted I'd start developing my own DAW because then I could have total control of the list of deficiencies and make sure it always stays as long as possible. :-)

Before I started making music 20 or so years ago, I had access to literally all the well-known music production apps. (Yes, there's a short story there, but it is neither interesting nor relevant here.) Through that experience, I learned which apps I liked and why. Reason very clearly came out on top. Its user experience was head-and-shoulders above the others, and that was important because I recognized that my biggest limitation was me, not the feature list of the software. All the apps had far more functionality than I needed for the kind of music I found myself trying to make. Many of them were inelegant and/or inscrutable and/or unstable. What I cared about was a user experience and workflow that made sense to me, and for my personal use I ended up buying Reason.

Reason wasn't really a DAW at the time, but over the years it has become one and I now use it as one. (Record came along at just about the time I wanted something like it.) I've been paying attention to other DAWs informally by reading magazines and web sites and such, and every once in a while I'll be exposed to some other DAW in a little more depth through a friend or acquaintance, and so far I haven't seen anything so radically wonderful that it makes me want to jump ship. But I'm open to the possibility that I've been missing something because it isn't as if I'm actually using all the DAWs all the time myself.

I am frankly surprised to see so much bitter discontent on this forum and it makes me wonder if I'm simply so ignorant that I don't even know what I'm missing. Hence my question.

antic604

06 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
06 Mar 2021
antic604 wrote:
06 Mar 2021

Thanks.

So R for razor tool on the top time line will cut all track below, using insert between locations should create space and alt drag will duplicate any selected, that's what we are talking about?
Yes, exactly.
Music tech enthusiast.

EdwardKiy

06 Mar 2021

integerpoet wrote:
06 Mar 2021
Hence my question.
no problem

from memory:

freeze