Where is Reason going ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Oper-8

04 Mar 2021

I still don't understand where Reason is going, nor where Reason Studios are leading us. Tons of "new" (FM in 2021 ? Wow, awesome !) synths always hide a feeling of "hey, here are fillers so we can give you the illusion we consider you, dear users".
Instead of focusing on useful things (all the features that had been suggested in the now dead PUF), they keep giving (well, selling) things people never asked for.
The only real novelty since years have been VST support (though we're still waiting for VST3...), a few REs or devices, and the Players. We're still (hopefully I'm not the only one...) waiting for a browser, popup menu from post-1990, a Tools window from post-1990, MIDI tools/functions/maths from post-1990, constant mouse/keyboard focus, and a bunch of things that were never fixed or addressed.
Instead of watching the concurrent products, Reason Studios have always preferred being stubborn, never communicating (apart from annoying videos full of "wow" and "we're proud of", always replying to praises and meticulously avoiding replies to negative comments).
I'm seriously fed up with their attitude. The support is inexistent or doesn't help - two replies in 4 years AFAIC, and yet when they reply, it's off-topic anyway. When you suggest anything, they'll either reply (when they do) "Thank you for your suggestion", and that's all.
What will be coming with version 12 ? The only thing that has been promoted everywhere is hi-res graphics. I don't give a damn about graphics. You're gonna charge me €129 for new graphics and what ? "Workflow improvements" ? Which ones ? What will be improved ? Things people have been genuinely asking since years, or things you think are useful ? Do you remember that you have a user base ? Maybe you consider that killing the PUF did kill their suggestions ?
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

guitfnky

04 Mar 2021

well, I don’t think things are nearly as dire as that, although I do agree their general lack of communication about plans is starting to cause problems.

the high res update is hugely important, for more reasons than just giving people with 4k monitors a better experience. the UI is almost as fundamental to a DAW as the audio engine—there will need to be updates to many areas of the UI that non-hi-res users will benefit from. it cannot be a simple re-skin of what’s already there. I would expect some of the items you mentioned may be addressed (the janky looking tools window, for example), but there are tons of other things that they will need to update as well, just for this one major feature.

that said, after the whole Reason+ announcement debacle, I’m genuinely starting to question whether to take them at their word when they say the DAW is still a focus, and my good will toward RS has started to erode. the happy go lucky videos and streams are starting to come across as grating, rather than getting me excited for what’s to come, which is a real shame.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

SoundObjects

04 Mar 2021

Maybe it wouldn't create so much negative wonder if RS had a product "Dev Diary" in there blog.
Same as there country-sister company Paradox games ;)
The Universe Is Vibrating

stratatonic

04 Mar 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
04 Mar 2021
Reason Studios have always preferred being stubborn, never communicating
guitfnky wrote:
04 Mar 2021
their general lack of communication about plans is starting to cause problems
Uh, since when has Propellerhead ever stated what their future plans are? I haven't been with them from the start, but I have never seen that from the PUF or any social media in the last decade.
guitfnky wrote:
04 Mar 2021
the high res update is hugely important... it cannot be a simple re-skin of what’s already there.
But it probably will be. Of just the Rack. Imo.
Oper-8 wrote:
04 Mar 2021
What will be coming with version 12 ? The only thing that has been promoted everywhere is hi-res graphics. I don't give a damn about graphics. You're gonna charge me €129 for new graphics
If they are charging 129 for mostly hi-rez, I will be passing another upgrade. Still not on the monitors that need that kind of thing. Nor do I care because I can zoom in if needed - if it's a tad fuzzy, bfd.
Oper-8 wrote:
04 Mar 2021
I still don't understand where Reason is going, nor where Reason Studios are leading us.
It's one big adventure! No one knows. If they offer something of value to you, pay up to stay for the ride. If RS is not giving you what you need, don't upgrade.

Billy+

04 Mar 2021

Didn't this stuff all get covered in the chaos thread? :- viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7521443

EdGrip

04 Mar 2021

You guys know you can just go outside, right? Go for a nice walk?

guitfnky

04 Mar 2021

EdGrip wrote:
04 Mar 2021
:lol: do that every day. a balm for the soul.

moneykube

04 Mar 2021

EdGrip wrote:
04 Mar 2021
but it's soooo scary out there... put's on tin foil hat :lol:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Billy+

04 Mar 2021

EdGrip wrote:
04 Mar 2021
Yeah but shouting at random strangers during a pandemic has far greater consequences when done outside :lol:

arqui

04 Mar 2021

I saw that they closed the thread of the Memory Bug in Reason 11, I wonder since it has been more than a month that I do not see that it has been corrected: Will they fix it? or it will be fixed in version 12 ... I'm impatient and worried ... If I have to do a Downgrade, what version worked well? And how do I do it since I don't have the installer and Reason Studios doesn't provide it to me either.
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

Billy+

04 Mar 2021

arqui wrote:
04 Mar 2021
I saw that they closed the thread of the Memory Bug in Reason 11, I wonder since it has been more than a month that I do not see that it has been corrected: Will they fix it? or it will be fixed in version 12 ... I'm impatient and worried ... If I have to do a Downgrade, what version worked well? And how do I do it since I don't have the installer and Reason Studios doesn't provide it to me either.
The installers are available on the main site
the bug fix is "being tested",
we can't find a version 11 that doesn't include it

It should be getting released as a minor update - but information is thin.

Jagwah

04 Mar 2021

SoundObjects wrote:
04 Mar 2021
Maybe it wouldn't create so much negative wonder if RS had a product "Dev Diary" in there blog.
Considering a very long disappointing history of upgrades, if this diary was implemented a long time ago there would have been a mass exodus. If implemented now it could have the same effect. Best to keep us ignorant then give Ryan and Mattias the difficult job of selling us things we don't want when they are released. Poor little ryan and mattias :cry:

joeyluck

04 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
04 Mar 2021
arqui wrote:
04 Mar 2021

I am confirming again that it is being tested :-) There are those of us that are testers. It takes time to test these things and there are other bug fixes as well that will make it into the release. It will be a free point update.

Billy+

04 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote:
04 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
04 Mar 2021

I am confirming again that it is being tested :-) There are those of us that are testers. It takes time to test these things and there are other bug fixes as well that will make it into the release. It will be a free point update.
So like I said :thumbs_up:

Also why have you not merged this into the chaos thread?

guitfnky

04 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
04 Mar 2021
joeyluck wrote:
04 Mar 2021

if they had to move topics with any overlap with that thread, they may as well merge every topic on the site into it.

Noise
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2021

arqui wrote:
04 Mar 2021
I think I may have found something else, but I will try to replicate:
My spitfire plugin is giving me trouble, and is closing Reason (11) unexpectedly.
After opening Reason again, the interface is very laggy, the graphical rendering is slow, I can almost see the graphical things appearing inside rack extensions.
The only fix is to reboot.
Need more research.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

joeyluck

04 Mar 2021

guitfnky wrote:
04 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
04 Mar 2021

if they had to move topics with any overlap with that thread, they may as well merge every topic on the site into it.
Yeah, the OP's post doesn't have a direct focus on Reason+ or 11.3.8... Maybe there's confusion that the "chaos thread" has become the "opinion" thread? Or maybe Billy, you just want to hit that 100 page mark? :lol:

That said, merging also gets relaxed as things calm down. It's usually just in the beginning with any big news that we try to prevent forum chaos when everybody wants to create their own thread because everybody wants their voice to be louder. And merging threads of the same topic makes sense. Yes, one crazy thread is A LOT to follow, but easier than people trying to navigate multiple busy threads on the same topic, and forgetting in which thread they made their point, so then they too are posting the same comment into all 30 threads, etc.

SoundObjects

04 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote:
04 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
04 Mar 2021

Good to know - thank you :thumbup:

Billy+

04 Mar 2021

joeyluck wrote:
04 Mar 2021

Yeah, the OP's post doesn't have a direct focus on Reason+ or 11.3.8... Maybe there's confusion that the "chaos thread" has become the "opinion" thread? Or maybe Billy, you just want to hit that 100 page mark? :lol:
Yeah you know it, come on #100

kuhliloach

04 Mar 2021

With all due respect to the community I am very disappointed with the direction Reason has gone. I come to this forum hoping for good news and usually leave pretty sad due to the behavior of Reason Studios.

joeyluck

04 Mar 2021

Oper-8 wrote:
04 Mar 2021
(FM in 2021 ? Wow, awesome !)
As opposed to other synthesis types that are actually older than FM? Subtractive, wavetable, additive...all older than FM.

jappe

04 Mar 2021

SoundObjects wrote:
04 Mar 2021
That would be awesome!
Maybe inviting hardcore users to review pull requests...

Billy+

04 Mar 2021

Open Source the main DAW and allow community features, folks and custom builds :?

SoundObjects

04 Mar 2021

jappe wrote:
04 Mar 2021
SoundObjects wrote:
04 Mar 2021
That would be awesome!
Maybe inviting hardcore users to review pull requests...
Yes - just a few words about the projects and how it's going.
Of course we will miss some of the surprise factor but that has not always shown to be good for RS anyway ;)

MannequinRaces

04 Mar 2021

Their current mission statement is basically to be a leading creative instrument and effect developer. To expect any thing else at this point would be a futile attempt of your mental faculties.

• Information