Reason+ trial expires... but I didn't even start it ?!?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ohmygoff

23 Feb 2021

Pretty strange - I just got a mail that my Reason+ trial is about to expire. But afaik I never actively started the trial. Was this done automatically for existing users?

Steedus
Competition Winner

23 Feb 2021

I recall the same thing happened to me back when they did 30 day trials for major releases. I don't remember what the outcome was, but I believe it's how their system handles the trials, merely opening up a page and looking at it whilst being logged in to your account starts the trial. So if you ever clicked on a link to read about the trial and were logged in, that's probably when it happened. At least I'm pretty sure that's what happened to me for one of the reason versions. If this is indeed what happened, I'm surprised it still behaves that way.

joeyluck

23 Feb 2021

On the home page there is: "Get started for free".
The next page is: "Almost there! We just need your email address"
And a button when submitting your email address to "Sign up now".

When logged in, go to 'My Account > Reason+ Subscription'

What does it say there? What does it show under 'Manage Subscription'?

ohmygoff

23 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
23 Feb 2021
Well, obviously I have a running R+ trial which ends in two days. The funny thing is - I wanted to keep the trial until they offer PayPal as payment option, so I did everything I could (or at least I thought so) to not accidentally start the trial just after the announcement.

Billy+

23 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
23 Feb 2021
ohmygoff wrote:
23 Feb 2021
Well, obviously I have a running R+ trial which ends in two days. The funny thing is - I wanted to keep the trial until they offer PayPal as payment option, so I did everything I could (or at least I thought so) to not accidentally start the trial just after the announcement.

So you did start the R+ trial?

:?

ohmygoff

23 Feb 2021

[/quote]

So you did start the R+ trial?

:?
[/quote]

Um... no. Not actively. That's why I wonder that it's expiring soon...

joeyluck

23 Feb 2021

ohmygoff wrote:
23 Feb 2021
joeyluck wrote:
23 Feb 2021
Gotcha ok. I was just checking because you only mentioned receiving an email that notified you, but didn't mention what your account shows. So perhaps you did accidentally start it?

Billy+

23 Feb 2021

ohmygoff wrote:
23 Feb 2021
joeyluck wrote:
23 Feb 2021
Gotcha ok. I was just checking because you only mentioned receiving an email that notified you, but didn't mention what your account shows. So perhaps you did accidentally start it?
So if you didn't start the trial, have you contacted Reason Studios support and asked them what is going on.

It's definitely better to do that now at the start of the week.

jamespember
Reason Studios

24 Feb 2021

Hey ohmygoff, feel free to reach out to support today (and tell them I sent you) and I'll talk to them now about this. We can most likely just terminate that trial for you and have you be able to run another trial at the time of your choosing.

The sign up flow is very friction-free (perhaps a little too much so hehe). Basically, if you were logged in on our site, and pressed the Try Reason+ button, it automatically assigned a new trial to your account without requiring you to fill out any new forms etc. For new users, we didn't want them to first have to create a Reason account and then a Reason+ trial, so we combined those two flows into one.

We'll continue to make changes/improvements to the sign up flow. Feel free to comment with any feedback/suggestions.

DaveyG

24 Feb 2021

jamespember wrote:
24 Feb 2021

The sign up flow is very friction-free (perhaps a little too much so hehe). Basically, if you were logged in on our site, and pressed the Try Reason+ button, it automatically assigned a new trial to your account without requiring you to fill out any new forms etc.
I think there is a big difference between "friction-free" and signing-up people without any confirmation button.
In your haste to launch R+ I think you have got many thing wrong that could have been avoided with just a little bit of thought.

And your "hehe" is very misplaced in this particular interaction with a pissed-off customer.

Billy+

24 Feb 2021

jamespember wrote:
24 Feb 2021
very friction-free
Sometimes a little bit of friction is a good thing ;)

joeyluck

24 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
24 Feb 2021
jamespember wrote:
24 Feb 2021
very friction-free
*friktion

Billy+

24 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
24 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
24 Feb 2021

*friktion
No I definitely meant friction :o

joeyluck

24 Feb 2021

DaveyG wrote:
24 Feb 2021
jamespember wrote:
24 Feb 2021
Hey ohmygoff, feel free to reach out to support today (and tell them I sent you) and I'll talk to them now about this. We can most likely just terminate that trial for you and have you be able to run another trial at the time of your choosing.

The sign up flow is very friction-free (perhaps a little too much so hehe). Basically, if you were logged in on our site, and pressed the Try Reason+ button, it automatically assigned a new trial to your account without requiring you to fill out any new forms etc. For new users, we didn't want them to first have to create a Reason account and then a Reason+ trial, so we combined those two flows into one.

We'll continue to make changes/improvements to the sign up flow. Feel free to comment with any feedback/suggestions.
I think there is a big difference between "friction-free" and signing-up people without any confirmation button.
In your haste to launch R+ I think you have got many thing wrong that could have been avoided with just a little bit of thought.

And your "hehe" is very misplaced in this particular interaction with a pissed-off customer.
Pissed-off? I'll let ohmygoff speak for themselves, but I got the impression of being confused and looking for an answer. I think pissed-off is the stage that comes if Reason Studios said, "That's tough—you pressed the button when you were signed in. Sorry can't help you..."

James chimed in to say they will fix it by terminating the trial, and allow it so another trial can be started at any time. He also said they will make improvements to the sign up flow. I think the "hehe" would be misplaced if there was nothing they could do to fix it...or if someone was charged for something they didn't intend to purchase...or if the blame was being put on the user. This is the first I've seen of this issue and it doesn't apply to purchased subscriptions (that involves entering credit card data), but here it is acknowledged by James and he agrees that it might be a bit too easy to start a trial.

Billy+

24 Feb 2021

jamespember wrote:
24 Feb 2021

I think James is being more than reasonable.

He said exactly what I said "contact support".

let him know via PM when you have a case number as he will look into it personally if you provide the right information, he is definitely trying to make it work!

jamespember
Reason Studios

24 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
24 Feb 2021
jamespember wrote:
24 Feb 2021

I think James is being more than reasonable.

He said exactly what I said "contact support".

let him know via PM when you have a case number as he will look into it personally if you provide the right information, he is definitely trying to make it work!
Absolutely! Just DM me when you get that case number ohmygoff.

bangaio

25 Feb 2021

I’m sorry but having a marketing person from the company who is a public face of reason studios appear to make light over how it is too easy to set up a trial to a paid service is very poor practice, in professional and doesn’t help improve relationships with a large proportion of disgruntled and confused customers.

In my line of work if I had sent a message like that either publicly or privately I would be facing a serious bollocking at best.

guitfnky

25 Feb 2021

wow, there’s really no secondary verification needed before the trial is triggered? you click the button and it just starts your timer? that seems really poorly thought out.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Billy+

25 Feb 2021

guitfnky wrote:
25 Feb 2021
wow, there’s really no secondary verification needed before the trial is triggered? you click the button and it just starts your timer? that seems really poorly thought out.
Or absolutely genius, depending on whether your card is stored or not! :o

guitfnky

25 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
25 Feb 2021
guitfnky wrote:
25 Feb 2021
yikes. I hope that doesn’t happen to anyone—hopefully it just expires if you don’t actually confirm. I’d be LIVID. 😅
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Billy+

25 Feb 2021

guitfnky wrote:
25 Feb 2021

yikes. I hope that doesn’t happen to anyone—hopefully it just expires if you don’t actually confirm. I’d be LIVID. 😅
You might be livid, but someone would be golden %30 ish of the user base suddenly hands over a month rental.

I still think it should be setup so that you get an email say 5 days before renewal and if you don't ok it then it stops.

joeyluck

25 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
25 Feb 2021
guitfnky wrote:
25 Feb 2021
No it is separate. That's why this isn't such a big deal...especially when they are willing to help out and reset the trial.

Some of us have expressed what feels like unnecessary steps in the shop to trial a RE. I for one feel there are too many clicks. I'm logged in, I click "download trial" (click#1)...I'm ready to go—I'm ready for it to download right then and there! But then I have to go to my cart (click#2) and complete the checkout of my trial for free (click#3), then I am presented with the option to download (click#4).

But I get that accidents happen. Someone's cat might click on a button, so it makes sense to have the extra steps. I simply don't get the outrage here.

It will be fixed for the user. They are looking at fixing it overall. No, it does not roll into a credit card charge—that is a separate step.

Billy+

25 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
25 Feb 2021

No it is separate. That's why this isn't such a big deal...especially when they are willing to help out and reset the trial.

Some of us have expressed what feels like unnecessary steps in the shop to trial a RE. I for one feel there are too many clicks. I'm logged in, I click "download trial" (click#1)...I'm ready to go—I'm ready for it to download right then and there! But then I have to go to my cart (click#2) and complete the checkout of my trial for free (click#3), then I am presented with the option to download (click#4).

But I get that accidents happen. Someone's cat might click on a button, so it makes sense to have the extra steps. I simply don't get the outrage here.

It will be fixed for the user. They are looking at fixing it overall. No, it does not roll into a credit card charge—that is a separate step.
Not sure there is any outrage? Certainly not from me! I called it genius

joeyluck

25 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
25 Feb 2021
joeyluck wrote:
25 Feb 2021

Welcome to how this forum operates.

Some people seem to want to be pissed off vicariously through someone else's issue. And when something is taken care of, they need to find a way to attack the next thing... "Well this has being taken care of...and I haven't noticed it being a widely reported issue after all...and he said the trial would be reset for the user...and that they have taken note to make changes...and it does not roll into a credit card charge even though Billy+ jokes about it...hmmmmmmmmmmm...but he did say 'hehe'...should we roll with that next?"

Billy+

25 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
25 Feb 2021
joeyluck wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Welcome to how this forum operates.

Some people seem to want to be pissed off vicariously through someone else's issue. And when something is taken care of, they need to find a way to attack the next thing... "Well this has being taken care of...and I haven't noticed it being a widely reported issue after all...and he said the trial would be reset for the user...and that they have taken note to make changes...and it does not roll into a credit card charge even though Billy+ jokes about it...hmmmmmmmmmmm...but he did say 'hehe'...should we roll with that next?"
Im still not sure what or how this pertains to me for you to quote me into the outrage?

If this is in reference to the original post, them I'm sure you can see I advised contacting support and James with the case number.

• Information