Recording audio for a screenshare in Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
groggy1

13 Feb 2021

Hi, I wanted to record a screenshare of me using Reason (Windows, ASIO audio drivers)

The VIDEO recording is working just fine with XBox GameBar, but it looks like audio isn't being recorded (since I'm using ASIO drivers).

My plan is to record the VIDEO portion using Gamebar, and then separately record the AUDIO track in Reason - and merge later.

My question is: How do I setup to record in Reason without using an audio track? I want the recording to keep going, even if Reason's transport is stopped (i.e. I need the audio to perfectly match the video). E.g. is there some sort of "sampling" I can enable at the end of the mastering chain? Or something?

(I'm sure there are other screen-recorders for Windows that can capture ASIO, and I could probably do something with loopback audio. But first just checking if I can more-easily record Audio in Reason without a track...)

platzangst

14 Feb 2021

As far as I know, the only things that can record audio when the transport isn't running are the samplers and such-like Rack devices. But! I'm not sure if you can get those to continually record while you're playing around with Reason, starting and stopping it and so on. Even if you could, you'd need to go through a bit of a process to export that recorded audio to a file you could match up with your video.

It would probably be far easier to record through a different app than it would be to go to the trouble of recording in Reason outside of the usual audio tracks.

Aquila

14 Feb 2021

Unfortunately using ASIO is a direct link between your audio interface and Reason, so no other app can receive any audio data.

I've been told using VoiceMeeter can provide a workaround by acting as the ASIO driver and routing the audio elsewhere by itself, but it's quite a brain bender to set up.

The only other option would be to set Reason use either the MME Speakers or DX Primary Sound Driver options, which your gaming app should be able to use, but latency may go through the roof.

groggy1

14 Feb 2021

Aquila wrote:
14 Feb 2021
Unfortunately using ASIO is a direct link between your audio interface and Reason, so no other app can receive any audio data.

I've been told using VoiceMeeter can provide a workaround by acting as the ASIO driver and routing the audio elsewhere by itself, but it's quite a brain bender to set up.

The only other option would be to set Reason use either the MME Speakers or DX Primary Sound Driver options, which your gaming app should be able to use, but latency may go through the roof.
Thanks for confirming that ASIO can't easily be recorded. (I'm not an expert on ASIO vs. DX, so that helped)

I think I found a way to record continuous audio in Reason: Reaktor has a built-in "tape recorder", and can be configured to continuously record (ignoring transport start/stop). I think I can put it at the end of my mastering chain, and hit record. I think if my Microphone is routed into Reason as an input to a Track, I can enable Monitoring, so the Microphone audio will always be heard (and thus recorded by Reaktor).

I really want the low latency while I'm recording the video, unfortunately

orthodox
RE Developer

14 Feb 2021

There are many onboard audio chips that implement hardware output loopback to one of their inputs named "Stereo Mix". You can use ASIO to output audio to such interface, then record it from that "Stereo Mix".

• Information