Using Reason 11 with Logic/Ableton "the old way"

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
grebby_garbo

02 Feb 2021

Hello everyone,

Sorry if this is a beginner question but I am struggling to find an exact answer anywhere. I recently got Reason 11 after continuing to use Reason 5 for a decade, because my old laptop was dying and the version of OSX on my new laptop wouldn't support the old software. I also had to upgrade to Logic X around the same time.

Now, nominally I welcome the additions and improvements to both DAWs, but one thing is really bugging me... If I am not mistaken, it seems that ReWire has been removed from Reason, probably a few version ago now, I don't know. I used to use ReWire a lot to record my tracks that I made in Reason into Logic, but now I am not really sure what to do. Yes yes, I have used the Reason Rack plugin which is indeed very cool and useful if I want to use one or two synths or effects from Reason whilst working on a project in Logic. But what do I do if I have made, say, a full song in Reason (for instance I still have many full but not quite finished songs I made in Reason 5 that open and play fine in Reason 11) and then I want to record it multi-track into Logic (or Ableton, which I also have now)?? It was very easy to do this in the past. I would be overjoyed if I am simply not understanding how to do this and it turns out to also be straightforward!

Anyone who can help me, I am extremely grateful :thumbup:

Thanks, G

deeplink
Competition Winner

02 Feb 2021

grebby_garbo wrote:
02 Feb 2021
But what do I do if I have made, say, a full song in Reason (for instance I still have many full but not quite finished songs I made in Reason 5 that open and play fine in Reason 11) and then I want to record it multi-track into Logic (or Ableton, which I also have now)?? It was very easy to do this in the past. I would be overjoyed if I am simply not understanding how to do this and it turns out to also be straightforward!
Perhaps bounce all mixer channels to tracks?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

DaveyG

03 Feb 2021

V10 was the last one with Rewire in it and I also miss it at times and V10 will happily co-exist with V11 if you have a licence for it.

Other than that, your best bet is to export each track as an individual AIFF or WAV file, or perhaps submix them into fewer stems. and then import each file into your other DAW. It's not as slick but it is something you only need to do once per song. The option is in "File -> Bounce Mixer Channels" and will take a few attempts to get the million different options correct!.

Incidentally, it's always a good idea to export tracks as stems or individual files for any song you value in any DAW. Store the files somewhere safe and in 5 or 10 years when you want to mess with that project you have some insurance against software updates, incompatibilites, missing plugins etc.

Billy+

03 Feb 2021

If you want to use ReWire your going to need a version of reason that is not RRP, not sure if that's 10?

You can have more than one version installed, you just need to change the default install location, what I normally do is append the version number to the reason part i.e. Reason6 reason9 reason11

Oquasec

03 Feb 2021

Reason 11+ (EMI and plugin only)
Reason 10 and below (Rewire/EMI)
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

grebby_garbo

07 Mar 2021

Oquasec wrote:
03 Feb 2021
Reason 11+ (EMI and plugin only)
Reason 10 and below (Rewire/EMI)