Gradual fade clip

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
steve2221

02 Feb 2021

I was wondering how I can make an audio clip have a more gradual fadeout instead of just a sharp drop. All I want is for the end of the clip to just get quieter at a curve instead of being linear. How do I go about this?

joeyluck

02 Feb 2021

Unfortunately we didn't get curves added to audio clip fades when we got automation curves. However that said, you can instead automate the audio channel's fader and adjust the curve on that.

Alternatively, you can create an empty clip following the audio clip you want to fade-out, apply crossfade to the empty clip, and overlap that with your audio clip. If you want a fade-in, you would put an empty clip in front of your audio clip, and instead apply crossfade to the audio clip, and then overlap the two. You can then adjust the crossfade.

guitfnky

02 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
02 Feb 2021
Unfortunately we didn't get curves added to audio clip fades when we got automation curves. However that said, you can instead automate the audio channel's fader and adjust the curve on that.

Alternatively, you can create an empty clip following the audio clip you want to fade-out, apply crossfade to the empty clip, and overlap that with your audio clip. If you want a fade-in, you would put an empty clip in front of your audio clip, and instead apply crossfade to the audio clip, and then overlap the two. You can then adjust the crossfade.
unless the SSL is designed differently than most every other fader, you don’t need to add a curve to the fade automation. it happens automatically as part of the logarithmic nature of the fader design, as I understand it.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Billy+

02 Feb 2021

steve2221 wrote:
02 Feb 2021
I was wondering how I can make an audio clip have a more gradual fadeout instead of just a sharp drop. All I want is for the end of the clip to just get quieter at a curve instead of being linear. How do I go about this?
Depends on the audio,

Use a reverb if that suits or give selig gain a try https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... elig-gain/ it has a nice fade feature.

It got a lot more uses and is a handy tool to have....

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Feb 2021

Was just going to say Selig Gain too.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

steve2221

02 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
02 Feb 2021

This was almost perfect. Only issue is when it gets to the empty clip it makes a brief click noise. Is there a way to remove that?

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out. This was the perfect solution thank you!
Last edited by steve2221 on 02 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

02 Feb 2021

steve2221 wrote:
02 Feb 2021
joeyluck wrote:
02 Feb 2021

This was almost perfect. Only issue is when it gets to the empty clip it makes a brief click noise. Is there a way to remove that?
you should make sure the fade hits zero before the end of the clip. and make sure it stays there until any lingering effects reach total silence.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Kategra

04 Feb 2021

joeyluck wrote:
02 Feb 2021

OMG :o , I was on the fence to upgrade from R10 to R11 standard. Audio fade in, fade out curves and crossfade where the MAIN selling points for me. Glad I didn't upgrade, I would have terribly disappointed and angry for a short while.

I hope R12 improves workflow (besides basic audio fades). Otherwise Only device that I'm interested is a RE with 100% focus on programing and doing DJ scratching.

selig
RE Developer

04 Feb 2021

IF you want curve control, automate the fader or a gain plugin - then you can drag the fade out into any curve shape you want!
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

04 Feb 2021

steve2221 wrote:
02 Feb 2021
joeyluck wrote:
02 Feb 2021

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out. This was the perfect solution thank you!
Another issue with that approach is the fact you have to deal with two clips if doing any editing/moving. Wish they'd just add curves to the fade in/out…
Selig Audio, LLC

Kategra

04 Feb 2021

selig wrote:
04 Feb 2021
IF you want curve control, automate the fader or a gain plugin - then you can drag the fade out into any curve shape you want!
That is what I do, but it would have been a lot easier/faster to do it in the audio clip (if needed).. drag upper corner, right click and select desired curve without involving other devices.. I use to do this 20 years ago in Acid..

• Information