Reason+ value calculator

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
guitfnky

31 Jan 2021

I put together a spreadsheet that may hopefully help some folks figure out if a Reason+ subscription is right for them. pretty sure I got all the math right, but if anyone finds something wrong, please let me know.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... te/preview

it's fairly straightforward, I think, but I also did a video showing how it works, just in case.

*EDIT: I modified the spreadsheet link so we don't have to fight with other simultaneous users anymore. you'll just need to click the USE TEMPLATE button in the upper right after you click the link. while it was fun to be able to watch others put their scenarios in, it's not really great if you want to work on your own scenario. :lol:

Last edited by guitfnky on 31 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

EnochLight

31 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
31 Jan 2021
I put together a spreadsheet that may hopefully help some folks figure out if a Reason+ subscription is right for them. pretty sure I got all the math right, but if anyone finds something wrong, please let me know.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

it's fairly straightforward, I think, but I also did a video showing how it works, just in case.

That's pretty sweet - thanks for sharing! Just a couple of comments: 1. I think the value of Sound Packs are being far undervalued in your example, but I get that this is something that is going to differ vastly between users. 2. One of the biggest - and I mean BIGGEST - values of a Reason+ sub is that you can cancel at anytime - and resume at anytime - and pick right back up where you left off, but also gain all major updates and new RE's that are released in the meantime without paying "extra". So if you are a casual musician that needs to take a few years off because "life", this increases the value of R+ a great deal, while also lowering it's cost over your 10-year example.

But otherwise, that's a pretty sweet spreadsheet!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

guitfnky

31 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
31 Jan 2021
guitfnky wrote:
31 Jan 2021

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

That's pretty sweet - thanks for sharing! Just a couple of comments: 1. I think the value of Sound Packs are being far undervalued in your example, but I get that this is something that is going to differ vastly between users. 2. One of the biggest - and I mean BIGGEST - values of a Reason+ sub is that you can cancel at anytime - and resume at anytime - and pick right back up where you left off, but also gain all major updates and new RE's that are released in the meantime without paying "extra". So if you are a casual musician that needs to take a few years off because "life", this increases the value of R+ a great deal, while also lowering it's cost over your 10-year example.

But otherwise, that's a pretty sweet spreadsheet!
thanks!

yeah, that’s one upside of R+ that I couldn’t figure out how to put a $ value on. as for the example, that’s all it was—users can set whatever amount they want for how much the sound packs are worth monthly. I went mainly with my own answers there, but if it was exactly as I valued it, I would have left it blank/0, since the sound packs thing is meaningless to me. so as far as I’m concerned my example was far overvalued. :lol:

PhillipOrdonez

31 Jan 2021

Nice Excel/sheets skills. Respect.

guitfnky

31 Jan 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
31 Jan 2021
Nice Excel/sheets skills. Respect.
thanks! :)

gullum

31 Jan 2021

thats cool calculator
but waiting in the fact the RS re's I don't have I have little to no interest in getting or using of the RE's I don't have now that I might want to get is Friction. SO a subscription at this point would be me paying $20 a month for things I already have paid full price for.

tt_lab

31 Jan 2021

Nice sheet! :D
Although you don't contemplate the posibility of skipping updates. For instance going from 11 to 13 if 12 does not offer you a good value.
Thank you

guitfnky

31 Jan 2021

tt_lab wrote:
31 Jan 2021
Nice sheet! :D
Although you don't contemplate the posibility of skipping updates. For instance going from 11 to 13 if 12 does not offer you a good value.
Thank you
thanks! yeah, I couldn’t account for all scenarios. I did mention that in the video, but obviously there’s not much need to watch it for most (hopefully).

jam-s

31 Jan 2021

You could include sale/intro prices to add another scenario for those that only get new Props/RS REs when on sale.

Billy+

31 Jan 2021

lol I'm glad I got suite when I did, even managed to grab Friktion for less than £99 and I'm still not sure about Mutator but there's one thing I do know and that is I don't need a spreadsheet to work out the value of a subscription service.

Billy+

31 Jan 2021

I do get that a new user is really going to enjoy getting Reason 11 with the rack extensions included and content packs that show of Reasons capabilities and for £20 a month it's going to sound like a bargain.

I'm just sure it could have been done a different way and that some of that development time could have been better spent on enhancements that we've all been dying to see for quite sometime.

guitfnky

31 Jan 2021

jam-s wrote:
31 Jan 2021
You could include sale/intro prices to add another scenario for those that only get new Props/RS REs when on sale.
I did consider that, but it was another layer of complexity that would’ve taken a lot more work to get right. someone on the reddit forum pointed out that with the subscription service, the likelihood of sales will probably go down anyway, which makes sense to me (unfortunately).

joeyluck

31 Jan 2021

This looks pretty good! I agree it can be difficult to figure the worth of a subscription, particularly for current owners of Reason.

It's difficult to figure the value of the unknown for sure. Right now, you can certainly figure the value for the first month and today based on what is available and what you own today. But soon, aside from the new sound packs every week, there will be new devices and features, and you can only guess about those. So if you join, what you get today will be different than what you get in the future. People have to realize that it's not $10 or $20/month to pay and receive only what is available today. It's something current users can reassess as new things are added.

guitfnky

31 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
31 Jan 2021
This looks pretty good! I agree it can be difficult to figure the worth of a subscription, particularly for current owners of Reason.

It's difficult to figure the value of the unknown for sure. Right now, you can certainly figure the value for the first month and today based on what is available and what you own today. But soon, aside from the new sound packs every week, there will be new devices and features, and you can only guess about those. So if you join, what you get today will be different than what you get in the future. People have to realize that it's not $10 or $20/month to pay and receive only what is available today. It's something current users can reassess as new things are added.
this can still be accounted for in the tool. the existing REs you get automatically with Reason+ are really just included in the upper grid because we already know what they are now. all future plugins, be they REs or VSTs, and whether they're third party, or from RS, can be budgeted for in the annual budget field.

• Information