Reason+ FAQ: a handy reference

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

30 Jan 2021

Since many of the items below have come up in conversation, we thought it would be helpful to post a curated FAQ of info. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in this thread, but we request that all conversations remain on-topic, respectful, and constructive.

Thanks!

What is Reason+?
  • Reason+ is a new optional subscription service from Reason Studios
  • While your subscription is active, you can use all Rack Extension from Reason Studios ever created, including new ones
  • You get the Companion app for Reason+ to manage your RE and download additional content like Sound Packs
  • You automatically get any updates to Reason (all periodic maintenance as well as major version upgrades), as well as Reason Rack Plugin
But what if I don't want to subscribe but still want to use Reason?
  • Reason+ is completely optional
  • You still can use and buy the Reason DAW including the Reason Rack Plugin as a perpetual license (meaning: no subscription needed)
  • You still can use and buy any Rack Extension and Refills
  • Reason still can be updated by buying a upgrade license
  • Any Rack Extension can be updated and if there is a payed upgrade offer it can be bought
I already own a previous version of Reason and have several Rack Extensions. What happens to them?
  • Nothing happens, you can continue to use them just as you have under your current license
I have a USB Ignition Key. Can I authorize standard Reason and my Rack Extensions to this?
  • The USB Ignition Key has been discontinued. Reason has not shipped with a physical USB key in many years, and Reason Studios is now discontinuing support for physical USB keys. You can, however, authorize your computer (using a "virtual dongle") so you can use standard Reason as well as your RE's offline.
  • Some users are reporting that if you already have a USB Ignition Key with Reason and any RE's licensed to it, it is continuing to work on some computers. YMMV.
Can I authorize Reason+ for offline use?
  • Currently you cannot, however; Reason Studios are aware that this is an issue and they are working on a solution. To be clear, for now in order to use Reason+, you MUST have access to an Internet connection.
What is Companion?
  • Companion is a "companion" app to Reason+, which serves several functions:
  • You will use this in place of Authorizer to sync and manage your Rack Extensions
  • You will use this to download and install optional Sound Packs that are released weekly
  • Sound Packs are forever - if you cancel your Reason+ sub, you'll still have all of your Sound Packs that you downloaded and installed. You can use these in a perpetual licensed version of Reason, however; if you do not own the Rack Extensions used in the Sound Pack, they will appear as cardboard cutouts in a non-subscription version of Reason.

As a Reason+ subscriber, can I still buy RE's and ReFills from the Shop?
  • YES! Purchased RE's and ReFills are also perpetual, meaning if you cancel your Reason+ subscription and buy a perpetual license, you will have access to any purchased RE's or ReFills.
I currently own Reason 11 Suite. What happens?
  • Nothing. You will always own the additional Rack Extensions that were bundled with Reason 11 Suite, meaning you can use them in any future version of Reason, as well as Reason+ if you choose to subscribe. Your current version of Reason 11 Suite will continue to work just like it always has. That said, Reason Studios has discontinued new sales of Reason 11 Suite and it will no longer be sold in the Reason Studios shop. You may still be able to find Suite available through other retailers while they still have the stock. The only products Reason Studios are currently selling is Reason 11 (perpetual license), and Reason+ (optional subscription license), and Reason 11 upgrade (from any previous version of Reason). Once a future upgrade is released (say Reason 12, 13, etc) you will have the option of upgrading to that version - and of course take all RE's that came with Suite to that version.
Note: if you are already a current Reason user and plan to trial Reason+ or subscribe to Reason+, please follow the instructions at this link:

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... his-first-

Disclaimer: this information was collected through the Reason Studios product pages and various public sources. This information is subject to change. Please contact Reason Studios prior to purchasing to verify any information provided in this post. Reasontalk, nor its owners, moderators, or administrators cannot be held liable for any information in this sticky. This FAQ will be updated as more information becomes available or changes.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loz

08 Mar 2021

Hi. Are Reason files self contained? i.e when saving a Reson file to an external Hard.Drive are the audio files saved also.

guitfnky

08 Mar 2021

Loz wrote:
08 Mar 2021
Hi. Are Reason files self contained? i.e when saving a Reson file to an external Hard.Drive are the audio files saved also.
yep. everything gets stored in one file. but samples (from a Refill or sample library, for instance) used in a project aren’t included in the file by default—they’re only referenced by the project. I believe there is an option to include them in the saved file (“self-contained...” something or other, in the menu, if I’m remembering it right.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

integerpoet

28 Mar 2021

guitfnky wrote:
08 Mar 2021
Loz wrote:
08 Mar 2021
yep. everything gets stored in one file. but samples (from a Refill or sample library, for instance) used in a project aren’t included in the file by default—they’re only referenced by the project. I believe there is an option to include them in the saved file (“self-contained...” something or other, in the menu, if I’m remembering it right.
Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 7.41.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 7.41.14 PM.png (116.48 KiB) Viewed 28595 times

Social Exodus

18 Apr 2021

I didn't spot this in the FAQ, so I'll ask; if I take advantage of Reason Studios' offer of $99 per year, will that rate be every year I keep it or only the first year?
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

joeyluck

18 Apr 2021

Social Exodus wrote:
18 Apr 2021
I didn't spot this in the FAQ, so I'll ask; if I take advantage of Reason Studios' offer of $99 per year, will that rate be every year I keep it or only the first year?
It just says "50% off your first year..."

I don't know what offers they might make in the future when renewing an annual subscription to Reason+, but for now I don't see anything about locking in a price.

Social Exodus

18 Apr 2021

joeyluck wrote:
18 Apr 2021
Social Exodus wrote:
18 Apr 2021

I don't know what offers they might make in the future when renewing an annual subscription to Reason+, but for now I don't see anything about locking in a price.
Maybe I'll ask them directly, but I'm guessing it's year one only. To me, that makes a big difference because for $99 a year I'm in, but for $199 not so much. I have until May 6th to decide.

Thanks.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

joeyluck

18 Apr 2021

Social Exodus wrote:
18 Apr 2021
joeyluck wrote:
18 Apr 2021

Maybe I'll ask them directly, but I'm guessing it's year one only. To me, that makes a big difference because for $99 a year I'm in, but for $199 not so much. I have until May 6th to decide.

Thanks.
Yeah best to ask them, but I do think the offer is just for one year. At the same time, I wouldn't rule out sales and offers in the future for existing subscribers. It could be that a new offer arises to renew for another year for $99 or similar...but who knows...

DaveyG

18 Apr 2021

I think the undiscounted subscription price is not sustainable but I'm happy to be wrong and for others to subsidise my Reason PL. :)

WaxTrax

19 May 2021

I hope RS will consider the ability for a person to extend their R+ subscription when deals come out. I am a current R+ subscriber, and though I have a little less than a year left on my annual subscription, I was just curious to see what would happen if I tried to take advantage of the current May Madness 2021 sale to extend my subscription. The RS website simply detects that I'm already a R+ subscriber and doesn't let me extend.

I can completely understand RS not wanting to put out a really good deal and then have someone extend their subscription for 10 years at the good price (just as an example), but I really think they should consider putting in place a check on a person's account where if they have less than 1 year remaining on their current subscription, they can extend it by 1 year at any time during the final year.

This would demonstrate a lot of goodwill toward subscribers who wish to take advantage of periodic deals (MM, Black Friday, etc), but not let people "abuse" the pricing, either. This provides the flexibility of letting people take advantage of deals for the final year, but still letting RS change the subscription price over time as appropriate.

deeplink
Competition Winner

19 May 2021

WaxTrax wrote:
19 May 2021
I hope RS will consider the ability for a person to extend their R+ subscription when deals come out. I am a current R+ subscriber, and though I have a little less than a year left on my annual subscription, I was just curious to see what would happen if I tried to take advantage of the current May Madness 2021 sale to extend my subscription. The RS website simply detects that I'm already a R+ subscriber and doesn't let me extend.

I can completely understand RS not wanting to put out a really good deal and then have someone extend their subscription for 10 years at the good price (just as an example), but I really think they should consider putting in place a check on a person's account where if they have less than 1 year remaining on their current subscription, they can extend it by 1 year at any time during the final year.

This would demonstrate a lot of goodwill toward subscribers who wish to take advantage of periodic deals (MM, Black Friday, etc), but not let people "abuse" the pricing, either. This provides the flexibility of letting people take advantage of deals for the final year, but still letting RS change the subscription price over time as appropriate.
Maybe the option will come on a per person basis - once you start to reach the end of your subscription
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

ccsmith1

11 Oct 2021

I do not know if these questions have been asked before, if so I sorry. Let say I get the subscription for a year and decide I want to purchase the product outright. Do I lose any of the work that I did using the sound packs that come with the subscription? Also is the price of the product an upgrade or a outright purchase? Thanks in advance.

EnochLight

11 Oct 2021

ccsmith1 wrote:
11 Oct 2021
I do not know if these questions have been asked before, if so I sorry. Let say I get the subscription for a year and decide I want to purchase the product outright. Do I lose any of the work that I did using the sound packs that come with the subscription? Also is the price of the product an upgrade or a outright purchase? Thanks in advance.
No, you keep all work (song files) and Sound Packs that you download - forever. The issue is that if you create something in R+ that utilizes one of the RS-included Rack Extensions (since you get everything RS has ever made and will make in R+), and then you cancel your R+ sub and go with a standard perpetual license. If you don't own the RE that came with R+ sub, it'll come up missing in your song file as a cardboard cutout (though you'll have the option to buy it separately if it's still sold in the store).

The price of a Reason perpetual license standard "upgrade" is an upgrade if you already own any previous version of Reason versions 1-11, which is currently $199 USD. If you don't already own Reason, then a perpetual license is an "outright purchase" for the entire program, which is currently a whopping $499 USD.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

11 Oct 2021

ccsmith1 wrote:
11 Oct 2021
EnochLight wrote:
11 Oct 2021
No, you keep all work (song files) and Sound Packs that you download - forever. The issue is that if you create something in R+ that utilizes one of the RS-included Rack Extensions (since you get everything RS has ever made and will make in R+), and then you cancel your R+ sub and go with a standard perpetual license. If you don't own the RE that came with R+ sub, it'll come up missing in your song file as a cardboard cutout (though you'll have the option to buy it separately if it's still sold in the store).

The price of a Reason perpetual license standard "upgrade" is an upgrade if you already own any previous version of Reason versions 1-11, which is currently $199 USD. If you don't already own Reason, then a perpetual license is an "outright purchase" for the entire program, which is currently a whopping $499 USD.
Probably a good idea to remember that R+ includes rack extensions that would also need to be purchased if you decided to switch from subscription to perpetual licensing and currently the whole package is going to set you back a very considerable amount :-

Reason Studies Collection

Obviously you wouldn't have to buy them all at once or even at full price if you waited for annual sales, there is also the option to rent to own but you're still looking at a considerable sum total

gullum

11 Oct 2021

it is really important that you also stat in the FAQ that if your perpetual license is lower than the currant version of Reason+ lets say you have perpetual license for Reason 11 and your on Reason 12+ and you cancel you can't open any of the projects made with the Reason 12 + in Reason 11

moofi

16 Nov 2021

Oh and in case a new release causes severe issues on an indivdual setup not making it possible to work porperly anymore while not having a perpetual license back up, the affected person is bascially f... until a working update is being handed. ;-)

EnochLight

16 Nov 2021

moofi wrote:
16 Nov 2021
Oh and in case a new release causes severe issues on an indivdual setup not making it possible to work porperly anymore while not having a perpetual license back up, the affected person is bascially f... until a working update is being handed. ;-)
Or, you can "downgrade" to the version of R+ that worked for you until the fix is released... ;)

moofi

16 Nov 2021

What about those just having joined with that new release? I read in another thread about someone having gotten into Reason+ with Reason 12 that didn´t run properly on his machine and couldn´t "downgrade" because Reason 11 isn´t supported anymore. He´s got a perpetual license for Reason 10 at least, so it´s not that bad.
EnochLight wrote:
16 Nov 2021
moofi wrote:
16 Nov 2021
Or, you can "downgrade" to the version of R+ that worked for you until the fix is released... ;)

EnochLight

16 Nov 2021

moofi wrote:
16 Nov 2021
What about those just having joined with that new release? I read in another thread about someone having gotten into Reason+ with Reason 12 that didn´t run properly on his machine and couldn´t "downgrade" because Reason 11 isn´t supported anymore. He´s got a perpetual license for Reason 10 at least, so it´s not that bad.
Yeah, if you weren't already on R+ before then (hence, you wouldn't have access to old installers via Companion), then that sucks.

Barriott

22 Nov 2021

Hi my subscription runs out in march. I'd like to take advantage of the black Friday %50 off. Is this possible?

Billy+

22 Nov 2021

Barriott wrote:
22 Nov 2021
Hi my subscription runs out in march. I'd like to take advantage of the black Friday %50 off. Is this possible?
You will loose the months you have left.
It would be nice if they allowed top ups but they don't.

StephenHutchinson

22 Aug 2022

[Moved topic and content to it's own post as I apparently can't delete my own message.]
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

antic604

13 Oct 2023

Some questions I don't think were answered here or on RS' website:
1) Can I stack R+ licenses, e.g. buy 5 of them on sale and have 5 years covered?
2) Can I buy a R+ license at 3rd party reseller (like: Audiodeluxe, Plugin Boutique, etc.) and not activate it for some time? Does it have expiry / maturity date?
3) If for some reason I'd like to sell my annual R+ license 3 months in, can I do it and the buyer will have 9 months left?
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

EnochLight

13 Oct 2023

antic604 wrote:
13 Oct 2023
1) Can I stack R+ licenses, e.g. buy 5 of them on sale and have 5 years covered?
2) Can I buy a R+ license at 3rd party reseller (like: Audiodeluxe, Plugin Boutique, etc.) and not activate it for some time? Does it have expiry / maturity date?
3) If for some reason I'd like to sell my annual R+ license 3 months in, can I do it and the buyer will have 9 months left?
I don't think you can sell/transfer a subscription once it's registered to an account, but you might want to reach out to RS support to get clarification.

antic604

13 Oct 2023

EnochLight wrote:
13 Oct 2023
antic604 wrote:
13 Oct 2023
I don't think you can sell/transfer a subscription once it's registered to an account, but you might want to reach out to RS support to get clarification.
Thanks, I might.

I guess #1 is a no, but what about #2? That works with Bitwig, although they also allow for #1 (my upgrade plan is good until Nov 4th, 2025 :D).
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

• Information