Your Upgrade History?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
plaamook

31 Jan 2021

I started on 3 and bought every one inc. Record.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

arnigretar

31 Jan 2021

I started on 1
and upgraded to 2
and then to 2.5
and then to 4
and then to 5 (greatest Reason ever imo)
and then to 6
and to 6.5
and then to 8
and then I got 9, 10 and then 11 suite

So if I remember correctly I skipped 3 and 7. And I would say 5 being my favorite Reason - still have it installed on one of my PC computers. GOAT music software. The design and it's capabilities inside the rack are top.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

Faastwalker

31 Jan 2021

Bought Reason on version 2. Bought every paid upgrade since without hesitation .......

....... until 11 launched. First one I’ve ever skipped.

MFW

31 Jan 2021

2003: R2.5
2009: R4
2020: R11
I expected better, but it's just PUF rebranded. Cya.

r2101

31 Jan 2021

must have been 2004. i wandered into my local musicstore, back then it still had a synth and electronic music department, and whilst i was browsing through the synths the synth guy asked me if knew reason. i was like... well ... is it a toy? (i used hardware with cakewalk as sequencer during the 90s) a few minutes later i walked happily out of the store with my boxed copy of reason 2.5

discovered reasonstation which was a tremendous help in learning the program. being able to examine the rack setups and sequencer stuff was the best tutorial i could wish for, the rack made instant sense...and looked much tidier with its swinging cables than my actual hardware setup which was a sprawling mess). also i got into contact with some really knowledgeable and helpful folks through reasonstation. great times

bought reason 3.0 upgrade at said musicstore when it came out. the combinator felt really good, like a supercharged multi patch on a workstation synth.

then the music store got rid of its synth and software department (probably because of the business for that stuff moving onto the internet, which i blissfully ignored)

around 2009 i finally gave my hardware setup to a friend who still dabbled with non virtual stuff. and happily used reason 3.0 til... erm... 2015

2015 i thought it was time for an overhaul. got myself new studio monitors, new soundcard, new everything (ableton suite, push 2, reason 8),

i think i did not uprgrade to 9 but got 10 (vst support, and performance improvements with said vst support) and then 11 because of the rack. in the meantime i kinda bought every RE i considered interesting :oops:

i am still amazed at how technology evolved. in the 90s i wished for a setup ala Future Sound of London... and today i have so much more options and possibilities with a small laptop and a midi controller (apart from the apparent lack of talent on my side :puf_bigsmile: )

lately i am dabbling with the reason rack together with acoustica mixcraft which is strangely full featured (video editing, ableton like clip launching, score editor, automated beat chopping etc.) considering it´s rather affordable price tag. might have been slightly less expensive to get mixcraft and a launchpad instead ableton plus push2 (amazing controller, but shitty knobs...even my cheap mini midikeyboard has better ones). but then again my cat loves the push2 ...

Aquila

31 Jan 2021

Started v2.5
v3
v4
v5
v6.5 (skipped v6)
v7
v8 (nearly skipped, but got an upgrade discount)
v9.5
currently on v10 (was going to skip, but needed it for a paid collab)

ECHLN

31 Jan 2021

Pirated 5 :puf_bigsmile:
Bought 7
Upgraded to 8
Upgraded to 9
Upgraded to 10
Upgraded to 11 via Reason+

Melody303

31 Jan 2021

r2101 wrote:
31 Jan 2021
discovered reasonstation which was a tremendous help in learning the program. being able to examine the rack setups and sequencer stuff was the best tutorial i could wish for, the rack made instant sense...and looked much tidier with its swinging cables than my actual hardware setup which was a sprawling mess). also i got into contact with some really knowledgeable and helpful folks through reasonstation. great times
Oh wow, I forgot about that, and it's definitely noteworthy. publicly available RPS and RNS files were a tremendous help back when I was starting. If I remember correctly, there was also a song archive on the Props' site way back when, right?
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

Aquila

31 Jan 2021

ECHLN wrote:
31 Jan 2021
ssssh! :lol:

Melody303

31 Jan 2021

ECHLN wrote:
31 Jan 2021
Bought 7
Upgraded to 8
Upgraded to 9
Upgraded to 10
Upgraded to 11 via Reason+
I remember the Reason Studios team in the livestream being very excited about having a subscriber from South Africa (as if everyone in SA are poor). If they were referring to you, they 'neglected' to mention the versions you've bought previously. :P
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

buddard
RE Developer

31 Jan 2021

Started with the Reason 5 / Record 1.5 duo, bought every upgrade since, including R11 Suite.
I've been an RE developer since Reason 7.1, so I basically couldn't afford NOT to buy every upgrade after that.

orthodox
RE Developer

31 Jan 2021

First bought 6 (not telling you what I had been using for 8 years before that :puf_bigsmile: )
Then 8, 10, 11-suite.

arqui

31 Jan 2021

I started with Reason 2
2,5 and 3
for personal (financial) problems, I sold my license and others things in 2006.
I restarted in September 2011 with Reason 6 and from there I always updated the day each update was released up to Reason 11 suite.
never use cracked software ...

Today I use Reason 11 for composing and Studio One 5 pro for mixing and mastering.
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

ScuzzyEye

31 Jan 2021

I messed around with Reason starting with version 3. I was really interested in the vocoder, but with only be able to use samples of vocals to process it wasn't worth buying. When Reason+Record Duo came out, I bought the box, and still have (and use) my Ignition Key that it included.

I've owned every release since then. I only paid $15 for the Reason 6 upgrade, because I had actually just upgraded to Reason 5 three months before.

Reason 6.5 was neat for me, because I had been writing code since I was a kid. Having the ability to add my own effects to my favorite music software was exciting.

VST support in Reason 9 was sort of tipping point. I started seeing everything else out there, and relying more on them than REs. The thing keeping me at home on Reason though was major alternative was Ableton Live, and I just can't get my head around the session view. I know I could use just the sequencer, but isn't that missing the point of Live?

Right before Reason 11 was being released, I finally had another DAW click with me for sequencing, that was Studio One. Its sequencer was close enough to Reason's that I felt at home. And then, what do you know, Reason is now a VST! I can load into Studio One, and keep using my favorite Rack Extensions in a new home.

utdgrant

31 Jan 2021

Started out with Reason Adapted which came bundled with M-Box 1. It was allegedly possible to run the Pro-Tools LE (which was also bundled) in parallel via ReWire, but my PC was very low-powered. My bandmate had really taken to Reason since the beginning, and I was seriously impressed by what he could do totally inside the box on version 2.5. :o

When I got a Core i3 laptop around 2010, I bought a second-hand copy of 4, and that kept me happy for years. Fell head-over-heels in love with Thor, and it is still my go-to synth 99% of the time. :thumbup:

In parallel, while experimenting with Reason, I also started buying Arturia soft-synths, but could never find a satisfactory environment where they would work together. At least, an environment which wouldn't extinguish the flame of creativity by the time it came to recording. I looked on in envy as my bandmate upgraded and started having the ability to record audio inside the box, and eventually to integrate third-party plug-ins. :mrgreen:

When Reason 11 Intro came out, all my prayers had been answered. Best software purchase I have ever made! I might upgrade to the full version of 11 at some point, but I'm not feeling limited in any way by Intro so far. Recently bought the entire V-Collection 7 when it was on offer, so I've got enough new instruments to keep me out of trouble for the foreseeable future. :D
Grant Middleton (records as "Under the Dome")

:reason: 12, Windows 10, 64-bit

Personal Website

YouTube channel

eusti

31 Jan 2021

Rebirth > Reason 1 > 2 > 2.5 > 3 Then my computer wasn't able to go any further for a while... 6.5 > 7 > 8 > 9 > 10 > 11.
At first I was using Reason rewired to Cubase VST... Upgraded to 11 because of cross fading of audio... Saved my a lot of time!
Tried to go back to Cubase as a friend I'm collaborating with uses it, but it didn't click... Sometimes I use Logic or Garageband and I get different results as different tools seem to get for me... Basically waiting for Audio Folders and VST midi out... Those are the two main ones for me for 12... We'll see, I guess... ;)

D.

zoidkirb

31 Jan 2021

Started with 10, stayed with 10. I'd been with Cubase for years and wanted to branch out. Also grabbed Live 10 at the same time.
Europa and funnily enough Drum Sequencer were what it took to show me the power of the rack.

mooseharris

01 Feb 2021

Started with 1.0, went to 1.1 then to 2, 2.5, 3.0 and so on up to 11 suite. I've bought every version, some twice, and also Record, ReBirth, ReCycle and some of the standalones for iOS.

My main stumbling blocks in continuing to upgrade were 9, 10 and 11, all of which I bought late, when they were heavily discounted, particularly 11 Suite, which I managed to get through a US download sale for about 60 quid, otherwise I'd still be on 10.

On a couple occasions Props/RS forced upgrades by not bothering to support legacy software through various MacOS updates. If 8 had carried on working on my Mac I might have stopped there, as it was fine for my needs.

I've spent £1000s on Rack Extensions, Refills and other bundled software, but apart from buying Pop Chords Guitar before it disappeared, I've not bought much in the past year.

I've reverted to hardware and modular gear, and there's only so many synths you need, let alone all the tiny variants on a basic compressor.

As such, I think I'm done with Reason upgrades and updates, and certainly have no interest in a subscription model, having spent literally thousands on Reason and related software to date.

I was under the impression I owned it, now they want me to rent it as well?

So, no Reason + for me. I'll see what they do with Reason 12, and if it's really worth the bother. If it includes Friktion Strings and the upgrade is less that £100 then maybe...

syncanonymous

01 Feb 2021

I started with Rebirth in 1998 I guess; started with a crack and then bought an official disc straightaway
then had found access to the Rebirth Mods in 1999 which I really liked.
I was talking to someone one night at a pub and she was talking about using Recycle; so I had a look and bought it
I still have both discs :-)

No sooner did I start tinkering with Recycle than Reason came out which I purchased straightaway.

So my upgrade path was:
2.5 (Scream and RV7000)
4.0 (Thor, improved Sequencer, RPG-8, MClass, Combi)
8.3 (extended color palette; REs, Audio, Kong, MIDI Out, Audiomatic, The Echo, Pulveriser)
10 (Klang, Pangea, VST implementation, Europa, Grain...and now I get how great the Players are)

In 2013 I started spending much, much more time in music and audio in a more serious capacity.
I did many projects in Reason 4.0. I was one of the users who thought Reason shouldn't have audio recording in it back in the day. One thing I really wanted was more colors for sequencer clips. Then 8.3 came out with extended color palette and I bought that immediately. Having audio recording in Reason is great, I was definitely wrong about that.

I still have never gotten Klang or Pangea as they were a huge DL torrent and my internet speed is too slow.

I currently have separate Reason 10 and 8.3 licenses
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

syncanonymous

01 Feb 2021

mooseharris wrote:
01 Feb 2021
...I think I'm done with Reason upgrades and updates, and certainly have no interest in a subscription model, having spent literally thousands on Reason and related software to date.

I was under the impression I owned it, now they want me to rent it as well?

So, no Reason + for me. I'll see what they do with Reason 12, and if it's really worth the bother. If it includes Friktion Strings and the upgrade is less that £100 then maybe...
I've zero intention on renting software; no thanks, I won't do that! If they force me to rent, I'm going with another DAW.

pushedbutton

01 Feb 2021

Pirated 3
Bought 4
Upgraded to 5
Bought Record and Balance
Upgraded to 6 pwyw £60
Upgraded to 7
Upgraded to 8
Upgraded to 9
Upgraded to 10
Upgraded to 11 Suite in the December sale.

Hoping that 12 will be available as a no strings upgrade.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Mich01

01 Feb 2021

I started at Reason 1.1.
Upgraded every time till 8.
Skipped R9 and upgraded to R10.
I'm still on R10. I think Reason is 'sofisticated' enough since R7 to only upgrade when I really need it. LOL
Maybe I upgrade on 12, maybe not.

Greetzz Michel

PeterP

01 Feb 2021

I was already using Cubase when a friend showed me Rebirth. It looked very fun but I didn't think it was for me since I'm mainly a rock guy and record a lot of guitars.

But when Reason 2.5 was released I got it just to play around with since it looked so fun and had some great synths and effects. Mostly kept it as something on the side to play with and didn't really use it for any real songs.

Then when Reason 6 was released I switched over to it as my main DAW since it could now handle audio really well too and I like the whole "hardware studio" concept a lot. I've upgraded to every version as it was released since.

Around version 9 I started to drift away a bit from Reason as my main DAW and started to use Ableton and Cubase a lot more.

When the Rack version arrived I thought it was an amazing upgrade for me and I use it in almost all projects I do.

I'm not sure yet if I'll upgrade to 12. Depends on how good the new devices are and the price for the regular license.

ltbrunt00

01 Feb 2021

Started with Reason 1.0, someone gave me a random CD Rom and said there is a program I should look at. They knew I was into collecting synths, drum machines, playing guitar. I have purchased every upgrade starting with 2.0.

I brought Reason Record.

I famously paid 1 dollar for reason six...They did say name your price but I made that up by spending quite a bit on Rack Extensions.

My longest delay in upgrading came between version 7 and 8. 8 was out half a year before I upgraded.

The biggest update IMO is 9.5 with the addition of VST. Had they done this some years earlier could have saved me money purchasing Studio One.

I think if you own a license software upgrades is a fairly cheap price.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Yonatan

01 Feb 2021

R4 production bundle (drums, piano, abbey, bass).
Record 1.5
R5
R6
R6.5
R7
R8
R9
R10
R11 Suite

Wish I would have skipped some upgrades in the aftermaths.

• Information