What will a perpetual licence upgrade bring?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
miyaru

31 Jan 2021

MrFigg wrote:
31 Jan 2021
From Blog.
“ high resolution graphics, workflow enhancements and some new devices, too. ”

New devices.
New devices and workflow enhancements would be nice........
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

Melody303

31 Jan 2021

jlgrimes wrote:
30 Jan 2021
Hires is an opportunity to improve/rethink alot of legacy devices.

Groove Mixer.
Redrum
Matrix
Thor sequencer
Drum sequencer
Kong Modules
Sample editor
Slice editor
NN19
NNXT
Mclass devices
Combinator
Mixer?
Dr. Rex?

Reason's older devices are pretty archaic. Going Hires for the sake of hires would be pointless. If NN19 was designed in 2021, how would it work? How would Mclass compressor look/work? Do any devices need to be axed(or merged with other devices)?

If there is a chance to improve legacy devices, this would be the time.
Breaking backwards compatibility is a huge negative, and not a fair price to pay for the improvement of legacy devices. Hires for the sake of hires is not pointless, because displays nowadays all but require it.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

DonnieAlan

31 Jan 2021

Well, one thing I know for sure is that Reason + won't bring VST hosting with the Rack used in another DAW....something many of us have been wanting since VST hosting in Reason first came out. For myself, until VST hosting can be used in any DAW, I don't see much benefit in switching to Reason +. I'll stick with R-11.x for now.

guitfnky

31 Jan 2021

QVprod wrote:
31 Jan 2021
guitfnky wrote:
29 Jan 2021
yeah, I’m curious how much value the average user thinks there is in sound packs. kind of like my Xbox subscription gives me 4 new games every month, and now I have access to a few hundred games that I have no interest in. I mean, it’s nice to have the option, I guess, but it’s an almost pointless benefit, most of the time.
Quite a lot actually. Splice is very popular and many producers who sell beats also sell loop packs and drum kits. You can’t go on YouTube without seeing a midi pack ad. But you have to take the entire package into consideration to see the whole value. Right now it has no value to you and other veteran owners (especially suite owners) because of what you already own. I feel the same way about Presonus Sphere. I have all of the best they have to offer already and I’m still on 4. All that’s left is loops and samples. At least R+ comes with presets to a considerably better set of instruments.

Think to a new user having nothing. R+ to them is getting a Splice equivalent as well as a DAW/plugin to use it in. Feel like the DAW is lacking features? Use it as a plugin in another DAW of your choosing and it grows with you. Things improve and you want to switch back, you already have the latest version.
I agree that sort of thing is valuable to some, but my question was about the average user. obviously, Reasontalk isn’t emblematic of all reason users, but I almost never saw anyone here talking about such services, before R+.

and I didn’t mean to imply you can only look at the value of sound packs in a vacuum. the value of what you’re renting is also key, of course. but for most perpetuals like you and I, the value proposition of R+ does come down largely (and for many, entirely) to sound packs. at $240 per year, it’s just cheaper to keep upgrading our perpetual licenses and buying any new Reason devices we want ala carte. so that leaves the one thing you get with R+ that you don’t get with a perp license: sound packs.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

QVprod

31 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
31 Jan 2021
QVprod wrote:
31 Jan 2021

Quite a lot actually. Splice is very popular and many producers who sell beats also sell loop packs and drum kits. You can’t go on YouTube without seeing a midi pack ad. But you have to take the entire package into consideration to see the whole value. Right now it has no value to you and other veteran owners (especially suite owners) because of what you already own. I feel the same way about Presonus Sphere. I have all of the best they have to offer already and I’m still on 4. All that’s left is loops and samples. At least R+ comes with presets to a considerably better set of instruments.

Think to a new user having nothing. R+ to them is getting a Splice equivalent as well as a DAW/plugin to use it in. Feel like the DAW is lacking features? Use it as a plugin in another DAW of your choosing and it grows with you. Things improve and you want to switch back, you already have the latest version.
I agree that sort of thing is valuable to some, but my question was about the average user. obviously, Reasontalk isn’t emblematic of all reason users, but I almost never saw anyone here talking about such services, before R+.

and I didn’t mean to imply you can only look at the value of sound packs in a vacuum. the value of what you’re renting is also key, of course. but for most perpetuals like you and I, the value proposition of R+ does come down largely (and for many, entirely) to sound packs. at $240 per year, it’s just cheaper to keep upgrading our perpetual licenses and buying any new Reason devices we want ala carte. so that leaves the one thing you get with R+ that you don’t get with a perp license: sound packs.
Completely agreed here. The value will however increase over time. For those here who are RE collectors, there’s several, it may become worth it. Once there’s more than just 2 RE that aren’t in Suite and if the updates are frequent enough.

guitfnky

31 Jan 2021

QVprod wrote:
31 Jan 2021
guitfnky wrote:
31 Jan 2021

Completely agreed here. The value will however increase over time. For those here who are RE collectors, there’s several, it may become worth it. Once there’s more than just 2 RE that aren’t in Suite and if the updates are frequent enough.
yep, totally agree. the value proposition is going to keep changing, over time, for sure.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

illlumen

01 Feb 2021

Creativemind wrote:
30 Jan 2021
Curve, singular. Most competitors have 3 to 5 curves + linear.
One curve? I really thought that you could draw many points and connect them - curved or not like in Wavelab. That would be really sad and too basic for my taste.

Creativemind

01 Feb 2021

illlumen wrote:
01 Feb 2021
Creativemind wrote:
30 Jan 2021
Curve, singular. Most competitors have 3 to 5 curves + linear.
One curve? I really thought that you could draw many points and connect them - curved or not like in Wavelab. That would be really sad and too basic for my taste.
Yes Reason has linear and 1 curve, I'm presuming bezier?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

illlumen

01 Feb 2021

Creativemind wrote:
01 Feb 2021
Thanks for the confirmation. What I need is the possibility to draw different points and "smooth" out the lines in between. I even had to look it up in a tutorial on YT.
In R11 it still looks complicated task. So I'll just wait.

Creativemind

01 Feb 2021

illlumen wrote:
01 Feb 2021
Creativemind wrote:
01 Feb 2021
Thanks for the confirmation. What I need is the possibility to draw different points and "smooth" out the lines in between. I even had to look it up in a tutorial on YT.
In R11 it still looks complicated task. So I'll just wait.
Just fired up Reason for the first time in ages, loaded a Malstrom, lowered the Freq parameter 16 and then added an automation lane for it. Still in 2021, there is no way of adding or it telling you in the automation clip where 16 is so you can apply it from there. Struggling to find the curve too. Lol!

EDIT - Found it. Read the manual lol! If you hover over the line, not the point, the icon changes which allows you to bend / alter the automation curve.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

• Information