What will a perpetual licence upgrade bring?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
guitfnky

29 Jan 2021

yeah, I’m curious how much value the average user thinks there is in sound packs. kind of like my Xbox subscription gives me 4 new games every month, and now I have access to a few hundred games that I have no interest in. I mean, it’s nice to have the option, I guess, but it’s an almost pointless benefit, most of the time.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

gullum

29 Jan 2021

If only this would mean that Reason gets developed as a daw and the R+ sub will get the new synths, FX and players then this is heaven sent, because then I only need to buy the devices I need and not have a million devices that I don't need or use inside reason.

Popey
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
29 Jan 2021
Popey wrote:
29 Jan 2021
Suppose new version will answer our questions but be good if a reason studio employee could offer some clarity.
You can't get much clearer than this:

Reason_12_upgrade_coming.jpg
Yep fair play had not seen that or the blog.

Billy+

29 Jan 2021

Well I'm not sure that I could pay full upgrade price for 12 if all I get is HiRes graphics, and although "workflow enhancements" are something I always welcome I'm not convinced I/we will get what we have been expecting.

I don't know what priority my number 1 workflow enhancement is getting but I did get a response.
Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
When will we get fully supported vst2 midi, that's all I've wanted since Reason 9.5?
Is it even on the list of todos
MattiasHG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
It's definitely on the list of todos, but I can't say when. Got a lot of stuff lined up for Reason!
Only I guess the second part of the response is a lot less promising.

Personally I really would have liked to have seen this in V10 I definitely would have wanted it before the plus chaos and I guess it could be an olive branch that might convince me to stop clicking the not now option but I'm not holding my breath it will be in V12 or even V12.5 which is a shame.

miscend

29 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
29 Jan 2021
yeah, I’m curious how much value the average user thinks there is in sound packs. kind of like my Xbox subscription gives me 4 new games every month, and now I have access to a few hundred games that I have no interest in. I mean, it’s nice to have the option, I guess, but it’s an almost pointless benefit, most of the time.
You'd be surprised at how many people subscribe to services that provide only sounds like Output Arcade and Splice.

There's a whole other world out there outside of the Reason bubble. If you go to VI-Control those dudes there spend a fortune buying presets and sample libraries. Sound designers like The Untitled and Luftrum have become so big. Hans Zimmer for example has Howard Scarr as his staff sound designer. What I've gathered is that alot of composer types dont want to waste time on sound design. They have tight production deadlines and just want immediate access to production ready sounds.
Last edited by miscend on 29 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

EnochLight

29 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
When will we get fully supported vst2 midi, that's all I've wanted since Reason 9.5?
Is it even on the list of todos
At this point, I'd be happy if they'd support VST 3 in Reason standalone DAW. Since VST 2 SDK is now deprecated and not-supported by Steinberg, I wonder what the likelihood is that we'll see any changes to how VST 2 is handled right now? I guess there's always a chance.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

29 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
29 Jan 2021
At this point, I'd be happy if they'd support VST 3 in Reason standalone DAW. Since VST 2 SDK is now deprecated and not-supported by Steinberg, I wonder what the likelihood is that we'll see any changes to how VST 2 is handled right now? I guess there's always a chance.
Yeah it's a shame, but I think I'm going to stay away from any negative discussions as I seem to have upset a few mods over the last few days. Sorry all. Will try to be more positive in future.

Loque

29 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
29 Jan 2021
EnochLight wrote:
29 Jan 2021
Yeah it's a shame, but I think I'm going to stay away from any negative discussions as I seem to have upset a few mods over the last few days. Sorry all. Will try to be more positive in future.
:clap: :thumbup:
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

29 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
29 Jan 2021
Not to derail this topic, but there is no requirement that all community members remain positive here. It's certainly not in our Forum Rules and Guidelines, anyway.

Us mods are just feeling stressed and beat down because we've been trying to weed out the spammers, trolls, and literally dozens of posts a day that keep asking to be approved by first time posters that literally have zero to contribute other than spam or b i t c hing. Please be patient with us.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

guitfnky

29 Jan 2021

miscend wrote:
29 Jan 2021
guitfnky wrote:
29 Jan 2021
You'd be surprised at how many people subscribe to services that provide only sounds like Output Arcade and Splice.

There's a whole other world out there outside of the Reason bubble. If you go to VI-Control those dudes there spend a fortune buying presets and sample libraries. Sound designers like The Untitled and Luftrum have become so big. Hans Zimmer for example has Howard Scarr as his staff sound designer. What I've gathered is that alot of composer types dont want to waste time on sound design. They have tight production deadlines and just want immediate access to production ready sounds.
fair point. I wonder how prevalent that sort of thing is within the Reason community as compared to other DAWs. guessing it’s probably about the same.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Billy+

29 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
29 Jan 2021
Not to derail this topic, but there is no requirement that all community members remain positive here. It's certainly not in our Forum Rules and Guidelines, anyway.

Us mods are just feeling stressed and beat down because we've been trying to weed out the spammers, trolls, and literally dozens of posts a day that keep asking to be approved by first time posters that literally have zero to contribute other than spam or b i t c hing. Please be patient with us.
It's all good, emotions and life's stresses always make bad situations worse and I've always found it's better to do something positive and productive when I start feeling that way. It is a shame that it was done in public but I accept I've been told and this is the last I will say of it. :oops:

motuscott

29 Jan 2021

You mods are doing great. Appreciate it.
Reason Studios and western civilization in general are going through an ugly phase right now.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Loque

29 Jan 2021

motuscott wrote:
29 Jan 2021
Reason Studios and western civilization in general are going through an ugly phase right now.
The world is going through a weird phase atm...Its on us to stay calm, open, respectfull and hel peach other...

And thanks :thumbup:
Reason12, Win10

cymek74

29 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
29 Jan 2021
motuscott wrote:
29 Jan 2021
The world is going through a weird phase atm...Its on us to stay calm, open, respectfull and hel peach other...

And thanks :thumbup:
Yes, I agree, I felt a bit disgruntled on the announcement of Reason+ hoping maybe some long asked for stuff would accompany it, but do you know what, I bloody love Reason, and I appreciate this forum and its members and moderators very much. If Reason never changed at all from today I'd be very disappointed, but it would still be my favorite piece of music software along with Renoise, yes, I'm a weirdo.
Reason 12, Bitwig 4, Win 10 :recycle: :reason: :re:

WOO

29 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
29 Jan 2021
Popey wrote:
29 Jan 2021
Suppose new version will answer our questions but be good if a reason studio employee could offer some clarity.
You can't get much clearer than this:

Reason_12_upgrade_coming.jpg
How about adding backward compatibility to the software. Maybe in the form of a utility so those of us who might consider trying the subscription would have access to what we create using it in older versions of reason. I know the devices and sound packs wouldn't travel with them but they could show up as placeholders like they do now with option to buy.

JunctionArsonist

29 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
29 Jan 2021
How did you have made the announcement and tried to reach new ppl investing in Reason?
They are doing just fine with new customers, and everyone should realize that is also good news for us.

When it comes to connecting with their existing community, I really wish they would end the secrecy about new feature improvements. I fully understand secrecy around innovative instruments, players, and even utilities. However, showing us that they have a zoomable rack (an improvement of an existing feature) in a test environment would set this community on fire!

JunctionArsonist

29 Jan 2021

WOO wrote:
29 Jan 2021
How about adding backward compatibility to the software.
Failing to provide some form of backward compatibility from one version to the next is laziness at best and malicious at worst.

Loque

29 Jan 2021

JunctionArsonist wrote:
29 Jan 2021
Loque wrote:
29 Jan 2021
How did you have made the announcement and tried to reach new ppl investing in Reason?
They are doing just fine with new customers, and everyone should realize that is also good news for us.

When it comes to connecting with their existing community, I really wish they would end the secrecy about new feature improvements. I fully understand secrecy around innovative instruments, players, and even utilities. However, showing us that they have a zoomable rack (an improvement of an existing feature) in a test environment would set this community on fire!
I saw the itching in Mattias' hands, that he had liked to show us the hires...But i think they are currently not there, that ppl wont rage as they did yesterday. And IIRC his post, they are not only working hires, they are working on a complete rewrite of the UI with smooth scrolling and stuff. Obviously a lot of work to do, probalby a lot of refactoring crappy code bound directly to the UI... I hope they get it done well, hopefully GPU accellerated. It would be awsome if i can smoothly zoom in and out, but i do not really expect this to happen, since even most VST are struggling to do it right or it just looks unsharp. Well, we will see, hopefully not too far in the end of this year...
Reason12, Win10

electrofux

29 Jan 2021

JunctionArsonist wrote:
29 Jan 2021
Loque wrote:
29 Jan 2021
But this is getting old when development is still so friggen slow. I mean last time RRP was the main feature aimed to get in more customers and adding nothing to Reason itself. Now we have Reason+ with frustrated Re developers and seemingly get a patch that has Hires as the main feature.
DAW development is stalling really hard for a long time now.

jlgrimes

30 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
29 Jan 2021
I speculate, that the HiRes UI will come with 12. I dont expect much else.

So, yes, hires only IMO.
I'd hope not.

Hires is an opportunity to improve/rethink alot of legacy devices.

Groove Mixer.
Redrum
Matrix
Thor sequencer
Drum sequencer
Kong Modules
Sample editor
Slice editor
NN19
NNXT
Mclass devices
Combinator
Mixer?
Dr. Rex?

Reason's older devices are pretty archaic. Going Hires for the sake of hires would be pointless. If NN19 was designed in 2021, how would it work? How would Mclass compressor look/work? Do any devices need to be axed(or merged with other devices)?

If there is a chance to improve legacy devices, this would be the time.

Creativemind

30 Jan 2021

illlumen wrote:
29 Jan 2021
I am so happy not having upgraded for those fancy new automation curves. I'll wait what happens with R12 and if there will be any important change at all.
Curve, singular. Most competitors have 3 to 5 curves + linear.

Why does Reason have to be so basic all the time, do they think Reason users will be too confused by making it more advanced? lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

QVprod

31 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
29 Jan 2021
guitfnky wrote:
29 Jan 2021
that’s like getting everyone excited for Reason 12, only to announce that Reason 12 consists solely of an update to the factory soundbank.
Or like getting everyone excited for Reason 8, only to announce that Reason 8 just has a mediocre browser improvement, removed Line6 amps, and refreshed GUI/UX that a lot of people hated at first.

I'll see myself out... :lol:
Oh I remember that! Literally drag and drop was the main feature. Not even any valuable new devices (sorry Softube amps) and that was years before the Verdane acquisition... Anytime people say a Reason update/announcement is the worst, I think they don’t know or forgot about this. :lol:

QVprod

31 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
29 Jan 2021
Quite a lot actually. Splice is very popular and many producers who sell beats also sell loop packs and drum kits. You can’t go on YouTube without seeing a midi pack ad. But you have to take the entire package into consideration to see the whole value. Right now it has no value to you and other veteran owners (especially suite owners) because of what you already own. I feel the same way about Presonus Sphere. I have all of the best they have to offer already and I’m still on 4. All that’s left is loops and samples. At least R+ comes with presets to a considerably better set of instruments.

Think to a new user having nothing. R+ to them is getting a Splice equivalent as well as a DAW/plugin to use it in. Feel like the DAW is lacking features? Use it as a plugin in another DAW of your choosing and it grows with you. Things improve and you want to switch back, you already have the latest version.

easyrider

31 Jan 2021

Let’s face it if Reason 12 Perpetual offers nothing but an updated Hi REs GUI we will all still upgrade....

Don’t kid yourselves.....😂

The Sub will offer new REs but nothing about the standard Daw and feature set will be Sub exclusive....this would alienate owners even more...

I’ll be glad when all this sub nonsense as blown over tbh....

If you have suite all is good. If you don’t have suite I would buy it now from a third party seller while upgrade licences still exist. :thumbup:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2021

From Blog.
“ high resolution graphics, workflow enhancements and some new devices, too. ”

New devices.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information