What would make you consider Reason+ sub?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What would make you consider Reason+ sub?

Exclusive DAW features
12
4%
Inclusion of 3rd party REs
21
7%
Inclusion of Refills
8
3%
Partial rent-to-own (i.e. % of sub payments accrue as store credit)
52
17%
Tiered price (e.g. 10 for just the DAW, 15 DAW+REs, 20 DAW+REs+sound packs)
22
7%
Lower price altogether
42
14%
Nothing. I would never use Reason+
146
48%
 
Total votes: 303
User avatar
R303
Posts: 32
Joined: 15 Feb 2021

Post 16 Feb 2021

I personally really like Vengeance/reFX. And Vengeance is under "About Reason" in "Signature sound design", but overall it could be more.
If Reason+ had this or a "Re(ason)Venger" that would be great. A lot of high quality sound packs, big leads, pads and basses.

I'm a bit worried that especially young buyers will end up at FL Studio instead of Reason.
The barrier to buy is higher than before. A pupil or student cannot subscribe for 20 EUR/month.

And of course it's a hard step to get all of these packs from these developers. It could also be exist a similar way in Reason+.
I know the expansion packs are overeffected, but for me, the service needs this mainly because soundpacks are a central point.

I must also thanks James to stay here. I've read a lot of comments and some critic is very harsh.

CaptainBlack
Posts: 84
Joined: 24 Mar 2015

Post 20 Feb 2021

I've had the trial of Reason+ for nearly a month, but decided not to renew. My reasons (cough):
a) Online-only is a dealbreaker.
b) I already have more than enough to play with when you include VSTs as well - though I did like Friktion
c) I was still on 10 and it merely confirmed my suspicion that 11 was barely worth the upgrade
d) Comes back to a). I like to do my main work on a powerful desktop PC, then bounce it to all my laptop so I can record the singer or have a backing track for gigs. If I do things in Reason+, then the laptop's going to need the same Reason version. Which means it needs to be online. Which means using it for playing gigs is also out of the question.
e) £100 a year trial offer isn't too bad, but £240 is simply too much. That's almost like buying the full software every year.
f) The soundpacks in Companion weren't for me - I don't want to sound like everybody else. Also having Companion running seemed to spike my CPU more. As does having the internet on generally.

User avatar
tronam
Posts: 390
Joined: 04 Mar 2015

Post 06 Mar 2021

I'm still considering it, at least for the discounted first year. It's not a bad price for current users and should include the next version of Reason as well.

stripedkeys
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Mar 2021

Post 10 Mar 2021

I've been a Reason user since Reason 3, but I never upgraded from 10 to 11. I recently tried the trial of Reason+ because I use Gig Performer as my gig platform and I wanted to use some Reason sounds without jumping through a bunch of technical hoops. The Reason Rack Plugin works great for me, but I'll be upgrading my owned version rather than continuing past the Reason+ trial. I wouldn't be opposed to paying the $99 for the first year in order to possibly be protected from an upgrade, but the online requirement of Reason+ is a complete deal-breaker. I can't imaging being at a gig and not being able to pull up any of my sounds because I couldn't get to the Internet! My knees sweat just thinking of that possibility!

Jim

jaeproduced
Posts: 67
Joined: 29 Apr 2020

Post 11 Mar 2021

CaptainBlack wrote:
20 Feb 2021
I've had the trial of Reason+ for nearly a month, but decided not to renew. My reasons (cough):
a) Online-only is a dealbreaker.
b) I already have more than enough to play with when you include VSTs as well - though I did like Friktion
c) I was still on 10 and it merely confirmed my suspicion that 11 was barely worth the upgrade
d) Comes back to a). I like to do my main work on a powerful desktop PC, then bounce it to all my laptop so I can record the singer or have a backing track for gigs. If I do things in Reason+, then the laptop's going to need the same Reason version. Which means it needs to be online. Which means using it for playing gigs is also out of the question.
e) £100 a year trial offer isn't too bad, but £240 is simply too much. That's almost like buying the full software every year.
f) The soundpacks in Companion weren't for me - I don't want to sound like everybody else. Also having Companion running seemed to spike my CPU more. As does having the internet on generally.
All Great points especially being ONLINE is impossible if your a mobile or live producer. Always having to search for a wifi connection sucks so on that Reason alone count me out of buying it...

DaveyG
Posts: 814
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 11 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
15 Feb 2021
Looks like there's more available here :- https://www.thomann.de/gb/reason_studio ... pgrade.htm

And it's really cheap!

IMG_2497.PNG
Thomann now list prices excluding VAT for UK customers because of Brexit. The courier will hit you for VAT plus a service charge upon delivery. So not so cheap.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/faq_question_ ... tries.html

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 2243
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 11 Mar 2021

£10/mo, with a permanent licence after 2-3 years (or something). It's just not in the no brainer category.

It's close, but they've botched the value proposition.

They could easily become a must have, but they're missing the easy wins, losing perspective, and have lost their connection to their users IMO.

At the right price point, Reason would be a no brainer. They should also consider buying out the Sonic Reality refill library and revamping the patches. There's a lot of gold in there.

At £20/mo they'd need to throw in enormous value as right now that gets me EWQL Cloud X.
---

david1806
Posts: 82
Joined: 26 Jan 2018
Location: London, UK

Post 11 Mar 2021

I literally subscribed a couple of days ago - and I couldn't hit that subscribe button quick enough. As you may know from my rambling posts I have made last couple of days, I personally think that what I am getting for £20 a month is just unbelievable. I know everyone is in different situations, but for me that is nothing coming out my wages each month, I won't even notice it to be honest. To think I pay (and again, pay it happily) a tenner a month for Spotify, and some months I pay for Netflix, what's twenty quid?

One of the options I noticed was "Partial rent-to-own (i.e. % of sub payments accrue as store credit)" - what does this mean exactly? Surely this does not mean that eventually I will own my copy of Reason+...? That would be just too good! :-)

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6919
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 11 Mar 2021

david1806 wrote:
11 Mar 2021
One of the options I noticed was "Partial rent-to-own (i.e. % of sub payments accrue as store credit)" - what does this mean exactly? Surely this does not mean that eventually I will own my copy of Reason+...? That would be just too good! :-)
You saw that in the options for Reason+?? As far as I know, that was only for the Rack Extension rental program:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/press/280 ... on-plugins

If they added Reason+ into that, well - that's a new one. I don't think that's the case, though...
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

jamespember
Reason Studios
Posts: 1216
Joined: 05 Feb 2020

Post 11 Mar 2021

EnochLight wrote:
11 Mar 2021
david1806 wrote:
11 Mar 2021
One of the options I noticed was "Partial rent-to-own (i.e. % of sub payments accrue as store credit)" - what does this mean exactly? Surely this does not mean that eventually I will own my copy of Reason+...? That would be just too good! :-)
You saw that in the options for Reason+?? As far as I know, that was only for the Rack Extension rental program:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/press/280 ... on-plugins

If they added Reason+ into that, well - that's a new one. I don't think that's the case, though...
Not the case. Reason+ is separate from the RTO and RE Subscription products.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6919
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 11 Mar 2021

jamespember wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Not the case. Reason+ is separate from the RTO and RE Subscription products.
That's what I thought. @david1806 - are you sure you didn't see that option for the Rent-to-Own Rack Extension program (which is still a service being offered)?
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

david1806
Posts: 82
Joined: 26 Jan 2018
Location: London, UK

Post 11 Mar 2021

EnochLight wrote:
11 Mar 2021
That's what I thought. @david1806 - are you sure you didn't see that option for the Rent-to-Own Rack Extension program (which is still a service being offered)?
Hi.....It is probably me getting it all wrong, I normally do...! :D

The heading of this is "What would make you consider Reason+ sub?" Is that different to what I have (the £20/month deal for Reason (almost) Suite i.e. Reason Full with a few more devices (I think) included). This is what I have (I think!!):
https://www.reasonstudios.com/?channel= ... SrEALw_wcB

D

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2004
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 11 Mar 2021

david1806 wrote:
11 Mar 2021
EnochLight wrote:
11 Mar 2021
That's what I thought. @david1806 - are you sure you didn't see that option for the Rent-to-Own Rack Extension program (which is still a service being offered)?
Hi.....It is probably me getting it all wrong, I normally do...! :D

The heading of this is "What would make you consider Reason+ sub?" Is that different to what I have (the £20/month deal for Reason (almost) Suite i.e. Reason Full with a few more devices (I think) included). This is what I have (I think!!):
https://www.reasonstudios.com/?channel= ... SrEALw_wcB

D
Reason+ give you suite plus Friktion / Mutator and Algorithm along with access to the content packs.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6919
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 11 Mar 2021

david1806 wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Hi.....It is probably me getting it all wrong, I normally do...! :D

The heading of this is "What would make you consider Reason+ sub?" Is that different to what I have (the £20/month deal for Reason (almost) Suite i.e. Reason Full with a few more devices (I think) included). This is what I have (I think!!):
https://www.reasonstudios.com/?channel= ... SrEALw_wcB

D
You tell me.. :lol: You're either paying £20/month for a Reason+ subscription, or you're paying £20/month for a Rack Extension rent-to-own package. When you log into Reason, go to Help => About Reason and see if it says "Active Reason+ subscriber" in the lower left.

rplus.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

david1806
Posts: 82
Joined: 26 Jan 2018
Location: London, UK

Post 11 Mar 2021

EnochLight wrote:
11 Mar 2021
You tell me.. :lol:
LOL...that did make me chuckle :-)

How do I include an image in my post, make life easier, I could just show you what happens when I log in etc....? If I click the 'Insert Image' button I get this similar text to when you bold/italic, but I can't show it cause it makes the post go funny - but I can't cut and paste images into my post like EnochLight has in his post.....

OK, so I had Reason Intro, which I bought, and is still on my PC. Then I spotted this:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/?channel= ... nwEALw_wcB

This is what I am paying £20/month for. When I open up Reason I get Reason 11 open up (11.39d22) and another page called Reason+ Companion with the list of all the devices I have installed, which I always shut down as I don't need it (and it says Your Reason+ trial will expire in xx days as you get the first month free). And the title here is What would make you consider Reason+ sub? - surely that is the same thing. What I do know is I am not renting any individual rent-to-own devices (I have done that before) - just the whole package for 20/month called Reason+......!!!

And back to my earlier question, one of the options is Partial rent-to-own (i.e. % of sub payments accrue as store credit)
- that is why I asked about it....ya see?

I want my mummy!!

Does that make sense now?

User avatar
jam-s
Posts: 1334
Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Location: Aachen, Germany

Post 11 Mar 2021

david1806 wrote:
11 Mar 2021
This is what I am paying £20/month for. When I open up Reason I get Reason 11 open up (11.39d22) and another page called Reason+ Companion with the list of all the devices I have installed, which I always shut down as I don't need it. And the title here is What would make you consider Reason+ sub? - surely that is the same thing. What I do know is I am not renting any individual rent-to-own devices (I have done that before) - just the whole package for 20/month called Reason+......!!!

And back to my earlier question, one of the options is Partial rent-to-own (i.e. % of sub payments accrue as store credit)
- that is why I asked about it....ya see?

I want my mummy!!

Does that make sense now?
So you've got the Reason+ subscription. This poll on the top of this thread is just a poll from a forum member here to get some feeling of what people would wish for to be included in that Reason+ subscription to make it enticing to them. Because the Reason+ subscription model was/is perceived very negatively around the many people on this forum who bought Reason (Suite) before.
If you're in Aachen, come and visit us at the Voidspace. ... Pool's closed due to corona.

david1806
Posts: 82
Joined: 26 Jan 2018
Location: London, UK

Post 11 Mar 2021

jam-s wrote:
11 Mar 2021
This poll on the top of this thread is just a poll from a forum member here to get some feeling of what people would wish for to be included in that Reason+ subscription to make it enticing to them. Because the Reason+ subscription model was/is perceived very negatively around the many people on this forum who bought Reason (Suite) before.
AH! Now I get it! It is what people want in a subscription. It reads to me like if they were to subscribe, what (which is already included) would make you want to do so (which, to be fair, that is an easy mistake to make the way it is written - it is!!! LOL!)

Glad we cleared that up - thanks jam-s, I was beginning to wish I had never asked (as was probably everyone else! :D )

And interesting what you say about the people who have already paid for Reason Suite. I made a post yesterday wittering on about how I had just discovered Reason+, and how awesome it is for twenty quid a month, and I did mention I was half-expecting a bit of moaning, and that was the exact reason why (but thankfully they (so far) stayed away). It is an interesting one, I am trying to put myself in that situation and wonder how I would feel if just before they made Reason+ I had just paid nearly £500 for Suite. Yeah, I guess I wouldn't be too happy. Well, it depends. Did RS offer anything to Suite owners, especially those who had bought it relatively recent to when they released Reason+...? Any kind of money back, maybe the difference in price between Full and Suite....anything?
Last edited by david1806 on 11 Mar 2021, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6919
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 11 Mar 2021

david1806 wrote:
11 Mar 2021
LOL...that did make me chuckle :-)

How do I include an image in my post, make life easier, I could just show you what happens when I log in etc....? If I click the 'Insert Image' button I get this similar text to when you bold/italic, but I can't show it cause it makes the post go funny - but I can't cut and paste images into my post like EnochLight has in his post.....

OK, so I had Reason Intro, which I bought, and is still on my PC. Then I spotted this:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/?channel= ... nwEALw_wcB

This is what I am paying £20/month for. When I open up Reason I get Reason 11 open up (11.39d22) and another page called Reason+ Companion with the list of all the devices I have installed, which I always shut down as I don't need it (and it says Your Reason+ trial will expire in xx days as you get the first month free). And the title here is What would make you consider Reason+ sub? - surely that is the same thing. What I do know is I am not renting any individual rent-to-own devices (I have done that before) - just the whole package for 20/month called Reason+......!!!

And back to my earlier question, one of the options is Partial rent-to-own (i.e. % of sub payments accrue as store credit)
- that is why I asked about it....ya see?

I want my mummy!!

Does that make sense now?
You attach an image by clicking the attachments tab at the bottom of your window, add files, and after the image is uploaded, select place inline. There is a limit to the size of the file you can upload, though (if you get an HTTP Error, the file is too big, so make it smaller).

Anyway, sounds like you have a Reason+ sub. And no, the rent-to-own program is separate and only for Rack Extensions.
david1806 wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Did RS offer anything to Suite owners, especially those who had bought it relatively recent to when they released Reason+...? Any kind of money back, maybe the difference in price between Full and Suite....anything?
No, Suite was a one-time product. That said, current Suite owners could sub to Reason+ for 50% off for a year. Actually all current Reason owners could sub for 50% off for a year, so there's that.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2004
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 11 Mar 2021

david1806 wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Did RS offer anything to Suite owners, especially those who had bought it relatively recent to when they released Reason+...? Any kind of money back, maybe the difference in price between Full and Suite....anything?
Discount on an annual subscription plan.......................... :? Same as anyone that had a reason license

david1806
Posts: 82
Joined: 26 Jan 2018
Location: London, UK

Post 11 Mar 2021

EnochLight wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Actually all current Reason owners could sub for 50% off for a year, so there's that.
I don't suppose that includes Reason Intro owners.....LOL?? I don't want much do I?

Oh dear god - i did try and delete it as I did not realise it would be so feckin massive, but it won't let me - it is there for ever it would seem.....

Oh well, me in the 80s with the hair and the shoulder pads....... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6919
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 12 Mar 2021

david1806 wrote:
11 Mar 2021
I don't suppose that includes Reason Intro owners.....LOL?? I don't want much do I?
No, the 50% off program offer is only for Reason owners that own a full version of Reason already.
david1806 wrote:
11 Mar 2021
Oh dear god - i did try and delete it as I did not realise it would be so feckin massive, but it won't let me - it is there for ever it would seem.....

Oh well, me in the 80s with the hair and the shoulder pads....... :D
That's a lot of 80's. :lol: :thumbup: There is a time limit for how long you can edit your posts. That said, attachments (including photos) can be deleted/removed/changed during that edit window - you just have to click the attachments tab and click "delete file"...
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
R303
Posts: 32
Joined: 15 Feb 2021

Post 13 Mar 2021

There are many instruments in the sub. But the sequencer must be better for that price range.
-overview in large projects (lack of (optional) track numbers, loop names)
-maybe volume control
-adjust multiple track names via tab
-midi note colours
-simultaneous working in seq and edit mode
-quick-zooming in bar numbers
-locator quick-start with double-click
-transpose without ctrl (or + shift)
-also a slider to reduce contrast from grid-lines in blue and dark theme is good
-macro-toolbar
-...

Studio One 5.2 was a great update. Here i'm getting the AAX or the AU-version.
And I don't want to change DAW for a lots of reasons.

Also the launch of R+ in the current situation with reducing the offer at the same time wasn't a good choice.
That made it seem like something would be taken away in a severe crisis.

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2004
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 13 Mar 2021

I've been racking my brain for weeks now thinking of a reason that would get me to subscribe and no matter what I come up with I still can't ever see myself using a software subscription service.

I'm really not interested in getting extra devices every quarter.
I'm really not interested in getting daily content packs.
I'm definitely not interested in getting regular video tutorials.

I'm finding it easier accepting that my consumption of Reason is drawing to a conclusion than I'm going to see standalone features that I would be willing to pay for....

Anyone else getting to that point?

Gungnir
Posts: 35
Joined: 27 Jan 2021

Post 13 Mar 2021

I voted “nothing”, but it is not in disgust for subs or whatever. I recognize that to some, subscriptions make good sense, and they should be granted the pleasure then. It is just that my bandmate and I have surpassed what we need long ago, so there is no necessities left for us. Basically we need some analogish stuff for bas/sequences, a lot of electro-effects, and then some physical modelling and samplepacks to imitate accoustic instruments (apart from our guitars, which are real). We already got the relevant REs and refills and got a pile of hardware synths in addition. Besides, we like Reason’s DAW features as is and do not miss anything in particular. Our style is very focused and thus we do not really need every possible thing Reason has to offer now or in the future. Would be pointless overkill and waste of money. So respect to the sub’ers, but I hope you equally will find us excused when we decline.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 8325
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 13 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
13 Mar 2021
I've been racking my brain for weeks now thinking of a reason that would get me to subscribe and no matter what I come up with I still can't ever see myself using a software subscription service.

I'm really not interested in getting extra devices every quarter.
I'm really not interested in getting daily content packs.
I'm definitely not interested in getting regular video tutorials.

I'm finding it easier accepting that my consumption of Reason is drawing to a conclusion than I'm going to see standalone features that I would be willing to pay for....

Anyone else getting to that point?
I typically buy perpetual licenses, but I do really like the flow of content.

And as an existing Reason user, with Reason's simple and inexpensive upgrade path ($129 from any version), that does make it a little easier to consider a subscription. It's not like some other DAWs that have upgrade tiers, where coming from older versions costs more to upgrade to the latest.

So if subscribing to Reason+ and then deciding later on that you want to move back to a perpetual license with Reason 13 or whatever, you won't have fallen off some upgrade path benefit, as it will still only cost you $129 to get your perpetual license up to date (assuming nothing changes there). Sure you might think about the money put into the subscription, and that doesn't get you the RS RE licenses, but it does get you up to date with the DAW at an inexpensive price.

And I think a point system and a better rewards system would help to alleviate most concerns with the future. You could then use those points to buy REs, Reason, whatever. IMO there shouldn't be a need for a rewards shop or vouchers for this. Points could simply be used in the shop for Reason or any RS RE. On the shop page for Algoritm, it would say Buy for $100, or Buy for 100 points...or whatever it is.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], dan_g, Synthonym and 7 guests