What will high-res Reason include?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Which of those features you think will be in high-res upgrade

High-res assets (bitmaps)
50
21%
Textured vector graphics
27
11%
GPU acceleration
46
19%
Independent GUI scaling (like Bitwig, Live or FL can be 150% when Windows is 200%)
32
13%
Ability to arrange work areas (sequencer, rack, mixer) whatever we want on 1 screen
13
5%
Ability to independently scale individual work areas (e.g. sequencer at 150%, rack at 100%)
13
5%
Up-sized tiny GUI elements (e.g. triangle "buttons" on tracks or devices)
20
8%
Multi-touch compatibility
7
3%
Added bar/strip with custom commands for touch operation w/o using menus (copy/paste, undo/redo, etc.)
5
2%
Ability to scale DPI-unaware plugins (NI, Waves, etc.)
13
5%
Integration of VST GUIs into the Rack
16
7%
 
Total votes: 242
User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 1535
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 21 Feb 2021

I disagree, if you really need to see it all at once then sort yourself out triple display.

Getting things working right and up to standard would be time well spent.
Perpetual License Crew
11.5 vst midi last chance.
:Nektar P6: : Mac Mini: :EiEPro: :Alesis M1 Mk2: :🎧KNS8400: :🎤Marantz MPM 1000:

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 648
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 21 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
21 Feb 2021
I disagree, if you really need to see it all at once then sort yourself out triple display.

Getting things working right and up to standard would be time well spent.
How is that different from if I said "if you really need MIDI out from VSTs sort yourself another DAW"?
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 1535
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 21 Feb 2021

antic604 wrote:
21 Feb 2021
Billy+ wrote:
21 Feb 2021
I disagree, if you really need to see it all at once then sort yourself out triple display.

Getting things working right and up to standard would be time well spent.
How is that different from if I said "if you really need MIDI out from VSTs sort yourself another DAW"?
Well currently I am waiting to see what the next version bring and if it no fully implemented VST / midi routing I fully intend to buy Logic.

But the actual difference is multiple displays is supported right now and in a way that actually works, where as we only got a half arse vst2.4 implementation and it was never actually brought up to standard!
Perpetual License Crew
11.5 vst midi last chance.
:Nektar P6: : Mac Mini: :EiEPro: :Alesis M1 Mk2: :🎧KNS8400: :🎤Marantz MPM 1000:

User avatar
pushedbutton
Posts: 1336
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Lancashire, UK

Post 21 Feb 2021

I'm sure it'll be lovely but honestly I don't care.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6819
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 21 Feb 2021

antic604 wrote:
21 Feb 2021
EnochLight wrote:
21 Feb 2021
...I'm going to vote for "Independent GUI scaling" (though how I think it will be handled differs in what has been mentioned in the poll description).
How do you think it will be handled?
Well, how I *hope* it will work is in a manner that we can zoom in on devices in focus, and not necessarily the whole application. But I don't see an easy road to that implementation I guess.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6819
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 21 Feb 2021

Billy wrote:
21 Feb 2021
where as we only got a half arse vst2.4 implementation and it was never actually brought up to standard!
Well, VST 2.x is deprecated by Steinberg now so I seriously doubt you'll ever see it get brought up to standard in Reason - that ship has sailed. But what about VST 3 support being fully realized? I'd honestly prefer that, myself.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 1535
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 21 Feb 2021

EnochLight wrote:
21 Feb 2021
Billy wrote:
21 Feb 2021
where as we only got a half arse vst2.4 implementation and it was never actually brought up to standard!
Well, VST 2.x is deprecated by Steinberg now so I seriously doubt you'll ever see it get brought up to standard in Reason - that ship has sailed. But what about VST 3 support being fully realized? I'd honestly prefer that, myself.
I don't expect they will complete 2.4 implementation but that was the point "we got a half arsed implementation" they should concentrate on fully implementing whatever they decide to incorporate, rather than just half chucking stuff in and saying tadar done next.......

Actually concentrate there efforts to do it right
Perpetual License Crew
11.5 vst midi last chance.
:Nektar P6: : Mac Mini: :EiEPro: :Alesis M1 Mk2: :🎧KNS8400: :🎤Marantz MPM 1000:

User avatar
tronam
Posts: 362
Joined: 04 Mar 2015

Post 21 Feb 2021

R12 is likely to be one of those core overhauls, not just for the highDPI GUI and GPU acceleration, but for other things too like native VST3 and Apple silicon support. As mentioned before, now that Steinberg has officially discontinued VST2 it would make sense for this to be a higher priority item now. Since RRP itself is a VST3 plugin, they clearly understand the format. I'm a Reason addict for life, so I'm hoping for the best.

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6819
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 21 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
21 Feb 2021
I don't expect they will complete 2.4 implementation but that was the point "we got a half arsed implementation" they should concentrate on fully implementing whatever they decide to incorporate, rather than just half chucking stuff in and saying tadar done next.......

Actually concentrate there efforts to do it right
tronam wrote:
21 Feb 2021
Since RRP itself is a VST3 plugin, they clearly understand the format.
Right, I'm less interested in focusing on unfinished/half-arsed features and more interested in them getting s hit done right now, today. The fact that they clearly understand VST3 (since RPP is a VST3) gives me hope that the VST3 implementation will be done right. At least more hope than I had when VST2 support appeared, anyway. That was so out of the blue (does anyone remember the 9.5 launch?), I just wasn't expecting it. Anyway, here's to hoping they don't f u ck up VST3 support if it does appear. The jury is still out on that one.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 648
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 22 Feb 2021

EnochLight wrote:
21 Feb 2021
Well, how I *hope* it will work is in a manner that we can zoom in on devices in focus, and not necessarily the whole application. But I don't see an easy road to that implementation I guess.
You mean like the 6th point from the poll?
"Ability to independently scale individual work areas (e.g. sequencer at 150%, rack at 100%)"
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 648
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 22 Feb 2021

Billy+ wrote:
21 Feb 2021
Well currently I am waiting to see what the next version bring and if it no fully implemented VST / midi routing I fully intend to buy Logic.

But the actual difference is multiple displays is supported right now and in a way that actually works, where as we only got a half arse vst2.4 implementation and it was never actually brought up to standard!
Sure, I understand your frustration, but "grass is always greener..." still holds true and e.g. Live or Studio One still don't pass CC from VST3 plugins (which is a standard spec), Studio One doesn't see internal audio chains in VST effects (only from multi-out instruments).

It's not like Reason is the only DAW that doesn't implement everything 100% :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6819
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 22 Feb 2021

antic604 wrote:
22 Feb 2021
EnochLight wrote:
21 Feb 2021
Well, how I *hope* it will work is in a manner that we can zoom in on devices in focus, and not necessarily the whole application. But I don't see an easy road to that implementation I guess.
You mean like the 6th point from the poll?
"Ability to independently scale individual work areas (e.g. sequencer at 150%, rack at 100%)"
Hahah! Maybe. But yeah, this should be interesting. :lol:
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 9043
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 22 Feb 2021

"I'm not asking for what you WANT, because you could tick all boxes :puf_wink: "

Good luck with that - these threads always turn into "what I want" because that is literally the only question that each of us can (and want to) accurately answer. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 648
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 22 Feb 2021

selig wrote:
22 Feb 2021
"I'm not asking for what you WANT, because you could tick all boxes :puf_wink: "

Good luck with that - these threads always turn into "what I want" because that is literally the only question that each of us can (and want to) accurately answer. ;)
And actually the results look quite plausible and realistic, with two options that were clearly signaled by Mattias in the lead, followed by those that would be really usefule and/or are standard elsewhere.

My faith in ReasonTalk people wasn't misplaced :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 1318
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 22 Feb 2021

antic604 wrote:
22 Feb 2021
And actually the results look quite plausible and realistic, with two options that were clearly signaled by Mattias in the lead, followed by those that would be really usefule and/or are standard elsewhere.

My faith in ReasonTalk people wasn't misplaced :)
I'm pretty sure nothing except those two options will be there. Or that's rather what I want to believe just not to get disappointed.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise. -- L.Carroll

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 9043
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 22 Feb 2021

antic604 wrote:
22 Feb 2021
selig wrote:
22 Feb 2021
"I'm not asking for what you WANT, because you could tick all boxes :puf_wink: "

Good luck with that - these threads always turn into "what I want" because that is literally the only question that each of us can (and want to) accurately answer. ;)
And actually the results look quite plausible and realistic, with two options that were clearly signaled by Mattias in the lead, followed by those that would be really usefule and/or are standard elsewhere.

My faith in ReasonTalk people wasn't misplaced :)
My point is ALL of us know what we want, but NONE of us know what will actually happen. As they say, "write about what you know"…how can we do otherwise? I get why it's fun to speculate about what we want to see, but not so much about what will actually happen - unless you are a professional industry prognosticator… ;)

And remember, you began the thread with what you WANT to happen, then ask the rest of us to resist the obvious temptation to do what you did - and do instead what you asked… ;)

Just saying that how these threads aways end up for the most part in my experience, just making commentary and grabbing the popcorn!

And to contribute in the spirit you requested - I expect the actual implementation to fall short of my expectations, as it almost always does. But it will be better than nothing…
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3033
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 22 Feb 2021

selig wrote:
22 Feb 2021
...I expect the actual implementation to fall short of my expectations, as it almost always does. But it will be better than nothing…
“the arc of improvements to Reason’s core experience is long, but it bends toward efficacy.”

at least I think that’s how that quote goes... :lol:

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6819
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 22 Feb 2021

selig wrote:
22 Feb 2021
And to contribute in the spirit you requested - I expect the actual implementation to fall short of my expectations, as it almost always does. But it will be better than nothing…
Same, though I am cautiously optimistic. :lol:

* throws salt over shoulder; sacrifices livestock *
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

Rackman
Posts: 108
Joined: 28 Dec 2019

Post 22 Feb 2021

They'll do as little as they can get away with. That is the Reason Studios way.

User avatar
BonsaiMacKay
Posts: 86
Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Location: A sane place

Post 22 Feb 2021

Their new high-res graphics will be so sophisticated that when you look at Subtractor from a 45º angle, its name changes into Subscribe.👹

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 914
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 25 Feb 2021

tronam wrote:
21 Feb 2021
R12 is likely to be one of those core overhauls, not just for the highDPI GUI and GPU acceleration, but for other things too like native VST3 and Apple silicon support. As mentioned before, now that Steinberg has officially discontinued VST2 it would make sense for this to be a higher priority item now. Since RRP itself is a VST3 plugin, they clearly understand the format. I'm a Reason addict for life, so I'm hoping for the best.
It just occurred to me today that if Reason Studios were ever to update the vintage devices – Subtractor, Malstrom, etc. – this would be the one and only time for it since they're already redoing all the UIs for hiDPI.

Obviously they wouldn't change them drastically, and despite a lot of user wishlists, I highly doubt they'd add any features or change the devices' workflow at all. Feature-wise, newer devices like Europa already cover that ground. But it would be the perfect opportunity to take advantage of modern computers with some DSP updates to the classics: Some basic oversampling, updated filter models, and so on. With a compatibility switch on the back to return them to their Reason 2.5 versions, naturally.

RS marketing always has a themed tagline for every new version of Reason, and I could easily imagine all this falling neatly into something like "Reason: Re-mastered."
The Iron Law of Reason forums: All topics eventually turn into feature request threads; the only difference is how many posts it takes.

Looking for UI design? DM me for a portfolio.

User avatar
tronam
Posts: 362
Joined: 04 Mar 2015

Post 25 Feb 2021

I would definitely like to see an oversampling option for Subtractor in particular and maybe a unison mode. It doesn't need to be a major overhaul, but some modern nips and tucks would be welcome.

OverneathTheSkyBridg
Posts: 331
Joined: 15 Jan 2016

Post 25 Feb 2021

My hopes are that R12 is going to be a complete overhaul of the entire program, but as with everything are hopes our never fully realized. My expectations are that they will focus mostly on the rack and add a few more themes. I also expect that the subscription stuff is going to be heavily integrated into the layout as well, and that the R12 release thread is going to easily be one of the largest collections of b!tching every to be seen on this forum haha.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3033
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 25 Feb 2021

I decided to buy Ableton for two new features, and now that I’m using it, I realize there are four that are must-haves for me now, which Reason doesn’t have, and a boatload more that aren’t dealbreakers, but are sorely missed.

I’m worried that Reason is just too far behind to win me back as a core DAW user for at least another couple of full versions. they’ll have to do a ton of heavy lifting on top of the high res update. I’m still rooting for them, but it’s getting harder to be optimistic.

Mike B
Posts: 61
Joined: 28 Sep 2019

Post 26 Feb 2021

guitfnky wrote:
25 Feb 2021
I realize there are four that are must-haves for me now, which Reason doesn’t have, and a boatload more that aren’t dealbreakers, but are sorely missed.
Which are ?

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], fieldframe, J96one, plesio and 3 guests