Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
Marc64

27 Jan 2021

If I use subsciption and get the free upgrade to Reason12 do I still have Reason12 if I stop the subscription or do I need to pay for it?

guitfnky

27 Jan 2021

jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021
And we think Reason's BIG superpower, compared to say, Splice or Arcade is that Reason is a sound design machine.
I suspect most users who love Reason would disagree, and would say its BIG superpower is that it’s an INSPIRATION machine.

having lots of sounds and devices sure plays a part in that, but at the end of the day, I think what we love most is that Reason is intuitive and only as complicated as you need it to be (sometimes it could stand to be slightly more so, given missing basic features, but you get my drift). it stays out of your way until you need it. that’s what makes Reason really special, IMO.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Billy+

27 Jan 2021

nbot wrote:
27 Jan 2021
@jamespember - can you confirm there will always be an option to upgrade Reason and not to go to subscription route?
This is confirmed :thumbs_up:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/intr ... eason-plus

Don’t like subscriptions?
As excited as we are about Reason+, we understand that subscription services aren’t for everyone. If you want to buy a full Reason license outright, we’ll still offer it as a perpetual license purchase. To simplify our lineup we will discontinue Reason Intro and Reason Suite—the software will continue to function, and you will still be able to upgrade to the full version of Reason. All of our Rack Extensions will still be available a la carte in our Add-On Shop. REs will work in Reason and Reason+ forever, including the ones you already own.

Loque

27 Jan 2021

Marc64 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
If I use subsciption and get the free upgrade to Reason12 do I still have Reason12 if I stop the subscription or do I need to pay for it?
AFAIU, you get access to R12 if it is released. You do not buy anything, you subscribe to use it for a fee. So, if you stop using R+, you will fall back to what you already own. So you cannot get cheap a R12 upgrade by subscribing for a month, if that is your question.
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

27 Jan 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
you'll find no straight up Moog clones or an LA2A here!
I wouldn’t tout not having an LA2A as a plus, now that the Cakewalk one isn’t available in the shop anymore. ;)
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Loque

27 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I suspect most users who love Reason would disagree, and would say its BIG superpower is that it’s an INSPIRATION machine.

having lots of sounds and devices sure plays a part in that, but at the end of the day, I think what we love most is that Reason is intuitive and only as complicated as you need it to be (sometimes it could stand to be slightly more so, given missing basic features, but you get my drift). it stays out of your way until you need it. that’s what makes Reason really special, IMO.
Well summed up.
Reason12, Win10

dan_g

27 Jan 2021

i can already tell this is going to be a massive massive thread.

as is alread y commented on the yt video:
"i don't like this direction at all"
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

seqoi

27 Jan 2021

jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Or you can get it included free in Reason+.
No it's not included for free.

It's included in Subscription model which is PAID model. Stop spreading that. I am aware you are staff member, but especially because of that you need to be transparent.

Also what happened to Reason trial?

R11 can not be trialed anymore. I just tried to run trial on friend computer. R11 click on 30 day trial button and it redirect to Reason + Subscription page.

Does this mean that we need to enter our card billing details just in order to Trial product?

nbot

27 Jan 2021

Ok, cool - thank you!

craste

27 Jan 2021

jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021
craste wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Everybody stop getting shot! Ha ha

Its business as usual for us licence holders. You don't have to subscribe.

But for Noobs just getting into music production this will be great - getting hundreds of pounds worth of kit to play on for $20 per month is great for some people! This will really fill the Reason Studios pockets and that's great because they can then reinvest in more people and more products! So therefore it will have a nice snowball effect. If they have more people that means more frequent quality fixes/upgrades etc!

A win win for Reason Studios.

If you was just starting out and you was unsure which daw to go for, this is a great way to try Reason and we all know its really fun to use so people will 'stick' with it. its a good way to get 'sticky' customers!

Its a great idea. Now just hurry up and give us the next Reason Update for us the long standing loyal customers!
Hey! And thanks. We think so too. We spent a lot of time researching during 2020 and we know there is a huge market of music makers out there who are looking for these sorts of services to help inspire them and make more music. We think Reason+ is the best way to add that Reason goodness to your workflow, whether that is inside Reason or Logic or Live.

And as you say, new users means more sustainable revenue streams which means more investment in Reason.

As Mattias said, you cannot spell Reason+ without Reason. Reason is the core of Reason still.
You're welcome James, I have copied and pasted my post above on the various Reason Studio Users Facebook Groups to try and doubt the flames!! People are getting triggered! Hopefully it's made people calm down and understand the bigger picture.

parma

27 Jan 2021

jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021

And we think Reason's BIG superpower, compared to say, Splice or Arcade is that Reason is a sound design machine. The best music has always been unique, and we think Reason can give a music maker the tools to sound unique, hence Sound Like You.

Perhaps my "marketing" hat is sitting a little too tight, but I do believe this and think Reason+ can vastly expand the number of Reason users out there. And that can ONLY be a good thing for you all, the hardcore fans who want us to invest more in the core product.
I think this is somewhat telling that you see Arcade and Splice as the competition and not other DAWS. It's disappointing seeing Reason being slowly turned into a lame content delivery service.

You guys keep saying that each new non-core addition (RRP, now +) is a good thing for core users but core users haven't seen much in the past couple years. I hope you guys are going to deliver on this "good for core users" thing pretty soon. If there aren't a decent amount of sequencer and general workflow improvements in 12 it's gonna look really bad to us "hardcore fans" that, would you believe it, actually want to use your product.

(And no, I don't consider HD graphics to be a "core improvement" - that's just something you guys need to do to stay usable in modern setups)

gritz

27 Jan 2021

I have purchased reason since reason 9 and not sure how this will effect me as a user - don’t want to spread my rings to logic or other daws as I have a ton of reason refills Rex files etc and the thought of learning a new daw after all these years fills me with dread

boesOne

27 Jan 2021

As long as there will be stand-alone releases of the main app, i dont care. Did a quick check of what you get now with R+, but for a moderately invested R10 user with some RE's from the sales there is not much that one needs or justifies a subscription. Matthias knows this, so this model is geared towards new users.
I am not afraid the installed base will be forced to switch over, that would be bad business. Also the other DAWs are not subscription only, so i dont think reason will go that route.
Oh, and please give the RE devs some love. They deserve it.

WasteLand

27 Jan 2021

nice; subscription plans; i hate them. personal opinion.

so for european customers it will be €20 per month, i.e. €240 per year. add €40 and that are my costs, give or take for reason studios reason 11 suite.

i bought reason 10, second hand, for a low price, and the upgrade/update in sale, for reason 11 suite (not in last sale, which was cheaper.. no regrets, because i count the time as money, as reason does, huh, o well, strange..)

i think i have reason 10, for 3 years?, reason 11 suite, less than a year.

the websites looks very strange now; yes promotion, propaganda for reason+.

the users of reason (whichever version), and also owning other RE's. (so indeed i spent more than i mentioned above, noise engineering bundles 1 & 2, spectra additve, some utiltilies, a great filter (forgotten convolver), and some of the free ones. o yes, complex-1, but that disappeared, is only as an order still in my account, after bought 11 suite.. the RE policy i find myself very problematic. don't won't to sell anything, i like what i have. but €50 disappeared, the complex-1...), are not forgotten, but upgrade prices are in the making, this means 12 is on the way?

for 3 years: €720... wow... and if you stop the subscription; gone. nothing. o well of course what you have made with reason+ in 3 years, for some people it can be worht it.
6 years: €1440... and if you buy RE's?

o well...

by the way: Rewards are a joke.

and also always a disclaimer: i use reason 11 (suite) more and more. so i own it with great pleasure (except my eyes..).
Win 10 Pro. R11 suite + R12. Nektar Panorama p1. Ryzen 9 5900X. Cubase Pro 11, Bitwig Studio 4.4, Reaper 6.68, Ableton Live 11 Suite. RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface.

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

https://soundcloud.com/user-873737123

Mataya

27 Jan 2021

Edin_16 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I have to say, that I dont like the subscription model. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but if you listened more to the user base, maybe Reason would not had struggled so much to attrct new users. New and old users want to have a good WORKFLOW in the DAW and not more and more sounds, refills and synths. You can get that stuff so easy for free, record it on your own, I DONT WANT MORE & MORE, I need to have a rest of that mentality and I need music to break out of "consumism"

Why is this so hard to understand? I mean, Behringer for example listen to their userbase and their business explode, they need no extra investors or fancy strategies to attrct new users. OK even some things are maybe a bit to "copied" from a morality perspective.

All what reason needs is one thing: no more extra fancy Sounds and Players in masses, because Reason is great as it is. Reason needs just more DAW featueres, a dedicated controller, better recording flow, better MIDI implementations and stuff like this ... technically improvements to inspire and fasten workflow.

But its like talking to a wall here, its all the years like 75% the opposite what is requested and so its clear that there is a struggle.

Greets & stay healthy!
Excatly that.

M

ksniod

27 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
27 Jan 2021
guitfnky wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Well summed up.
I agree too, inspiration is the key feature of Reason.
I also must say that i quite enjoyed the sound packs released recently, not by themselves, not for the sounds themselves, but as starting points for inspiration of new tracks or new sounds of my own. So i understand the marketing argument being raised behind Reason+

Creativemind

27 Jan 2021

plaamook wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Another Synth RE!!!!!
I've got tears of joy streaming down my face!!!!!
What will it be, maybe an FM synth? it's about the only one they haven't got that's just dedicated to that synthesis type (sorry they did havr, PX7) but...

Subtractor - Subtractive
Thor - Everything
Malstrom - Graintable
NN-19 / NN-XT - Samplers
Parsec - Additive
Europa - Spectral Morphing / Wavetable
Friktion - Physical Modelling

Maybe it's be a really top class Rompler akin to Nexus or FL's FLEX?
Last edited by Creativemind on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

graeme75

27 Jan 2021

Hi all,

I have owned Reason since v6 and have GAS (and got too many REs and Instruments to list - but that's for a different thread)

I may be in the minority, but the way I am viewing this is as follows :-

I'm entitled to 50% off annual subscription as R11 owner which makes it £99.50 per year

The absolute minimum I get for this is :
PX7 type synth (March) [which as night/follows day I would have bought)
Major update to reason (sometime this year) [see above]
Sound banks (meh - but option is there)
Whatever REs are produced within the next 12 months

I'm guessing that this would normally sum to more than £99.50, so I feel the 1st year is doable.

However at £199 per year not so sure, and I'm guessing once subscription has lapsed you lose access to all of the above?

Cheers
Graeme

adfielding

27 Jan 2021

jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Perhaps my "marketing" hat is sitting a little too tight, but I do believe this and think Reason+ can vastly expand the number of Reason users out there. And that can ONLY be a good thing for you all, the hardcore fans who want us to invest more in the core product.
This is the big thing for me. I'm generally not massively into subscription services for software, but I can absolutely see the appeal for (and frequently dip into) sound-pack and content subscription services. Regardless of whether or not I find a use for it, I think Reason+ is going to attract more users, which can only be a good thing for folks like me who want to see Reason develop further. So long as perpetual licenses remain a thing then that's just fine by me.

Basically - if it means more stuff like Beat Map/Pattern Mutator/Friktion in the future then I am absolutely a-ok with that! :)

Loque

27 Jan 2021

graeme75 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Whatever REs are produced within the next 12 months
From RS only.
Reason12, Win10

sdst
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

you could see it coming

but no problem, if the subcriction is not mandatory

ShelLuser

27 Jan 2021

jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Perhaps my "marketing" hat is sitting a little too tight, but I do believe this and think Reason+ can vastly expand the number of Reason users out there.
Sure... just look what a similar move did for Adobe. Their top product, which even managed to become a verb of its own, has fallen from grace pretty heavily.

Fact of the matter is that a software subscription is only useful for short-term users: people who want to 'do' something for 1 - 3 months don't have to cough up a small fortune but they can use the product and move on. There's no benefit for loyal customers here because those would end up paying even more than they already did without any direct benefits. No offense intended here but many users skipped Reason versions because they thought it was a bit underwhelming at that time.

And of course this move also spreads fear: will the next updates be locked into the subscription model? Maybe not now or within a year, but what about 2 - 3 years? Most professionals plan ahead when they purchase a new environment, and SaaS doesn't make that appealing.

IMO this could have been better received if you guys had also provided some new additions and made them available for both sale models. Now you're simply 'scaring' veterans and about attracting new customers... in these dark times when many people have lost their jobs and where the entertainment industry is at an all time low? I have some serious doubts there.

Even so: thanks for sharing your side of the story. I don't agree and personally forsee dark times, but yeah... it is good to see that you guys are willing to back up your actions and decisions with reasoning and explaining.
--- :reason:

tt_lab

27 Jan 2021

When they got the RRP out, I though, my DAW is reason nothing for me here, I don't like other DAWs as they are, but now I think I have to jump ship and find the most suitable for me. RS said now you can opt if you are license owner or subscriber, but as in other companies that have done the same in my experience with other SW companies and subscription, it is 1 to 2 year reallity. After that they'll cut the license upgrades and we are stuck with our reason 12 or 13 latest update and if we want to get 14 15 etc we'll be forced to subscribe. Happened to me with Octane Render and a couple more and I've learnt my lesson, them too were saying they will keep permanent not subscription updates too, but then it is not quite so. The marketing kool-aid they are selling now it is to not have massive ship jumps. Thanks, but no thanks.

scotward57

27 Jan 2021

Wow. I'm so glad I jumped over to Logic. Will always be grateful for the devices I have in Reason 11 suite. But I no longer have to worry about Reason playing DAW catch up or have to worry about new rack devices when I can buy third party AUs. For a long time I was fully entranced by the Reason universe, the rack, the cables and a long history of CPU friendliness and stability. But the weird and unpredictable behavior ever since they became Reason Studios.

Ask yourself if you are willing to pay $240 a year to a company that lives in its own bubble and has had no real direction or identity since the Founder Lord Ernst abandoned ship to go fight anti-Trump wars on Twitter.

I'm hoping Apple buys out Reason Studios like they did Alchemy. The rack paradigm works really well in Logic and I would love it if I could place Logic devices within the Reason rack.

Loque

27 Jan 2021

Creativemind wrote:
27 Jan 2021
plaamook wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Another Synth RE!!!!!
I've got tears of joy streaming down my face!!!!!
What will it be, maybe an FM synth? it's about the only one they haven't got (that's just dedicated to that synthesis type, sorry they did, PX7 but...

Subtractor - Subtractive
Thor - Everything
Malstrom - Graintable
NN-19 / NN-XT - Samplers
Parsec - Additive
Europa - Spectral Morphing / Wavetable
Friktion - Physical Modelling

Maybe it's be a really top class Rompler akin to Nexus or FL's FLEX?
Its obviously a FM synth as stated in the blog post:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/what ... for-reason
it'll make you miss PX7 way less
Reason12, Win10

• Information