Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
368
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
48
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
39
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
10
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
32
6%
 
Total votes: 497
User avatar
WillyOD
Posts: 280
Joined: 20 Jan 2015
Location: Left of stardust

Post 27 Jan 2021

Should have seen it coming when Propellerheads started hiring monkeys with typewriters and dollar signs in their eyes. :thumbup:
buddard wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Maybe this is a premature assessment, but to me this sounds like the final nail in the coffin for us 3rd party RE developers.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

User avatar
tt_lab
Posts: 323
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jan 2021

Reason+ I guess nobody thought it was a subscription plan....20$ a month LMFAO....

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 2781
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 27 Jan 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021


When will we get fully supported vst2 midi, that's all I've wanted since Reason 9.5?

Is it even on the list of todos
It's definitely on the list of todos, but I can't say when. Got a lot of stuff lined up for Reason!
Then I shall be watching the stream later to see what's lined up, but seriously there is nothing appealing to me as a 20 year vet and it makes me sad. But thanks for taking your time to answer.
VST 2.4 MIDI It's definitely on the list of todos
What MIDI tools are you itching to use

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ Time for a good long sleep ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1980
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jan 2021

Live Stream question - curious to know how RE developers will get paid under the subscription model.

User avatar
Marc Swing
Posts: 107
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 27 Jan 2021

Soooo.... no virtual/AI Ryan? :(

User avatar
pushedbutton
Posts: 1402
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Lancashire, UK

Post 27 Jan 2021

If the message was 'We're Changing over to a subscription model' I'd be pissed but as they're adding it as an option and I have Reason 11 suite anyhow then I'm happy to live and let live.
You do you Reason Studios, it's not my thing but it's important to be inclusive, you crazy little monkeys.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

User avatar
Neo
Posts: 157
Joined: 21 May 2015
Location: Melbourne Australia

Post 27 Jan 2021

Loque wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:52 am

Neo wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:44 am


https://www.reasonstudios.com/plus/subscriber/

Looks like my automatic trial~ has already started.

Reason+

Your trial ends on 2021-02-26
Make sure to update your billing info to not lose access!
Will change to Reason+ Annual Subscription ($99.50USD/$130AUD)/year) on 2021-02-26
Pay monthly ($19.99/month) instead?

Hopefully this is a bug and you wont get charged automatically :exclamation: :!:

Hi everyone!! James here from Reason Studios. I am the PM on the Reason+ project. I'll introduce myself properly here later once I catch up :)

But there is no bug, you will of course not be charged unless you actively add your credit card details before the trial ends. It says "Make sure to update your billing info to not lose access!".

Cheers Loque | James
Last edited by Neo on 27 Jan 2021, edited 2 times in total.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3836
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jan 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Creativemind wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Just what I was thinking. Nearly 19 pages on a forum later with this speculation and that speculation and all's it is is a subscription model (which I'm not against as long as they don't take away the usual upgrade method) just so you can access more instruments, more sounds. WHY WHY WHY do we need more dounds, more instruments? Not interested in subscribing. It's like giving a very overweight kid free access to the sweet shop when really, learning to eat the right sweets at the right time in moderation would be better. Lol!
Well said! Getting access to more sounds and more devices isn't the most important thing when making music. Sure, a cool patch can inspire a song but can you just keep chucking more sounds on it until it's a full song?
I also never really understood this whole sound-chasing thing. isn’t there some plugin that’s advertised to have millions or billions of presets? 😅 having a great sound palette is important, but if you spend so much time looking through sounds, you’re not doing the important thing—making music.
I write bad music for good people

latest release—The Lake Door:
bit.ly/TheLakeDoor-Soundcloud
https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/track/the-lake-door

User avatar
craven
Posts: 651
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jan 2021

I don't think RS dares to go subscription only, I was afraid of such a move for years and always hoped it would never happen. I understand the worries, but it would be the wrong move to axe the normal upgrade plan and RS must know this. A shame that the mobile app never got more attention, to me this would have been so cool to work on the road and then complete ideas at home. Well, that was pre-pandemic anyway.
:ugeek:

eiresurfer
Posts: 56
Joined: 22 May 2015

Post 27 Jan 2021

jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Yonatan wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Ok, so hopefully some new users might jump on to Reason bandwagon. But for those who bought 11 suite, not much to hurray over. But will see what that app may bring, if only soundpacks or something other. Sounds are everywhere nowadays, so not enough for me to jump in. But who knows next time around when next upgrade comes out, but if that is after the 50% deal expires, it will be a hard choice (or not). Will check out the livestream to get better grip of the plans ahead.
As Mattias has said, this isn't just sounds! We think the Sound Packs are a great product and a lot of fun to play with. But you also get every RE we've ever made, and will ever make. Historically, that's been at least a handful a year. You'll also get every update to Reason we ever make, including major versions.

By actively investing in Reason, you also help build a more sustainable and predictable revenue stream for Reason Studios which means we can invest more in product development and features that you are all looking for. We hope we can convince you to join us :) If not, you can of course continue to use Reason and buy perpetual upgrades as you always have.
Hi James, the subscription service is definitely something that will suit a lot of people. I've upgraded on every version of Reason since (I think) version 3, including the latest Reason 11 Suite. And I'll definitely consider Reason+.

Question: what happens if you subscribe, and then un-subscribe at a later date. Do we still have access to Reason 11? I gone through periods over the last 20 years where I've might have used Reason 3 times in 6 months (e.g. after a new baby), but then gone back to much more regular use of Reason.

Also, do you think that in a few years time the subscription model will be the ONLY way to use Reason?
Last edited by eiresurfer on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

jamespember
Reason Studios
Posts: 1442
Joined: 05 Feb 2020

Post 27 Jan 2021

Aquila wrote:
27 Jan 2021
jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Hey! I'm James. I'm the PM (together with Mattias) on the Reason+ project. I'll be answering everything for sure, but it may take me some time to catch up :)
There's a post by a respected Rack Extension developer expressing concern that the new website layout makes it virtually impossible for users to find new Rack Extensions.

Can this please be addressed?
I mean, the website has been live for less than an hour, and after working on a brand new service for a year, we'd like to make Reason+ the hero for a little while! Hence the simplified website. Once the dust settles, of course things will move around and we have no plans to turn our backs on the RE community or REs in general.

DecafDreams
Posts: 159
Joined: 07 Oct 2020

Post 27 Jan 2021

At the end of the day this is about adding value to the business. Once they hit x amount of subscribers they'll be a valuable company in the eyes of the marketplace. They're doing what they have to do to survive in the industry. I think they've got a great product that will appeal to a much more lucrative audience and what they're doing makes sound business sense.

I wish them every success with this but it's just not my idea of music technology. I'm stuck being old fashioned. I've got no time for these hip modern music technology services. I don't want endless packs. I don't want all the lifestyle nonsense that comes with the marketing of these late-stage capitalist media consume/creator services. I just want to turn my computer on and get down to making some beautiful music, without internet access, with well thought-out instruments. I just want to escape it all without being bothered or bombarded out of a desperation to keep me hooked on things. Sometimes I just feel sick of being treated like a consumer all the time - music's my escape from that, not somewhere I really want to go to be commoditised even further! But maybe that's just me...

Anyway, I think the one price fits all is no good and is too high. Unless they're just aiming this at Suite customers to begin with to test the water. I think they should start as they mean to go on and have a tiered system of pricing:
  • Freemium: $0 a month - Reason Intro equivalent of stuff - get people engaging and invested in the platform. Only free packs downloadable.
  • Bronze: $10 a month - Reason stock equivalent but no REs extra, Access to most sound packs inclusive.
  • Silver: $20 a month - Reason Suite equivalent and all future RS devices. Access to all sound packs inclusive.
  • Gold: $40 a month - The whole RE shop pick and mix at all times. Access to all sound packs plus you get ReCycle+ and some special Platinum-only sound packs.

jamespember
Reason Studios
Posts: 1442
Joined: 05 Feb 2020

Post 27 Jan 2021

eiresurfer wrote:
27 Jan 2021
jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021


As Mattias has said, this isn't just sounds! We think the Sound Packs are a great product and a lot of fun to play with. But you also get every RE we've ever made, and will ever make. Historically, that's been at least a handful a year. You'll also get every update to Reason we ever make, including major versions.

By actively investing in Reason, you also help build a more sustainable and predictable revenue stream for Reason Studios which means we can invest more in product development and features that you are all looking for. We hope we can convince you to join us :) If not, you can of course continue to use Reason and buy perpetual upgrades as you always have.
Hi James, the subscription service is definitely something that will suit a lot of people. I've upgraded on every version of Reason since (I think) version 3, including the latest Reason 11 Suite. And I'll definitely consider Reason+.

Question: what happens if you subscribe, and then un-subscribe at a later date. Do we still have access to Reason 11? I gone through periods over the last 20 years where I've might have used Reason 3 times in 6 months (e.g. after a new baby), but then gone back to much more regular use of Reason. Do you think that in a few years time the subscription model will be the ONLY way to use Reason?
Hey there! Glad to have you considering Reason+ and of course being a long time Reason user!

So, when you start a Reason+ trial, we do not actually assign any licenses to you. One of the big projects we took on during 2020 was refactoring our entire backend to not require the need for actual licenses for subscriptions. You are assigned access to Reason (always latest version) and all the RS REs. If you unsubscribe, you just lose access to what you were given via the subscription. If you owned Reason 11 and a bunch of REs before Reason+, of course you'll still have access to those! Any 3rd party REs you buy during your time a subscriber, of course you'll keep those too!

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 4329
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 27 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
27 Jan 2021
DaveyG wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Blog article:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/what ... for-reason

"If subscription's not your bag, you'll still be able to buy a traditional Reason license. In fact, we're currently working hard on the next big Reason upgrade for release later this year which will include the mythical hi-res update and many other really exciting features. We'll have more to share about this soon!"
good find. big takeaway: the hi-res update won’t be a point release, but a paid upgrade to Reason 12 (or whatever they call it).
Hopefully not. Another update in 2 or 3 weeks may not be off the cards but it is a bit of a kick in the teeth if there isn't, for people such myself that upgraded hoping (as was stated at the time by Mattias) that because people were saying how lacklustre 11 was in terms of features, not to worry as 11 isn't over yet which is always the case with Reason. You have to count the features added in point updates too but this time since 11's release there hasn't been a single one, oh maybe a couple to the RRP.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 12.2 / Cockos Reaper 6.35 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

olive6741
Posts: 279
Joined: 11 May 2016

Post 27 Jan 2021

Loque wrote:
27 Jan 2021
dhruan wrote:
27 Jan 2021
...
My 2¢ on this: As long as we get to buy the core updates and REs as usual, I am good.
...
Depends on the pricing policy...If they go the PA route, we will see each RE from them for 399,- and Reason core for 999,-.
Fair point.

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 9258
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 27 Jan 2021

guitfnky wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Ottostrom wrote:
27 Jan 2021


Well said! Getting access to more sounds and more devices isn't the most important thing when making music. Sure, a cool patch can inspire a song but can you just keep chucking more sounds on it until it's a full song?
I also never really understood this whole sound-chasing thing. isn’t there some plugin that’s advertised to have millions or billions of presets? 😅 having a great sound palette is important, but if you spend so much time looking through sounds, you’re not doing the important thing—making music.
I think the point should be to find quickly the right patch and than continue making music. This is way i always want a tagging db for all my patches (for samples i have one).

I make all the patches on my, because most patches do not fit my taste and creating a good patch can eat up to hours(!). If i am in the flow, and just need "that special sound", i want to have it immediately. If R+ or Companien could get it for me quickly, i am interested. So i need a search like: "psy synth lead fx strange simon possford shpongle" or "vocoder sphongle dmt". If this works, i am in... :thumbs_up:
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
Aquila
Posts: 644
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 27 Jan 2021

jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021
after working on a brand new service for a year, we'd like to make Reason+ the hero for a little while! Hence the simplified website.
Understood, but it still seems a little unfair to almost completely obliterate access to your other products.
Once the dust settles, of course things will move around and we have no plans to turn our backs on the RE community or REs in general.
Good to hear.

jamespember
Reason Studios
Posts: 1442
Joined: 05 Feb 2020

Post 27 Jan 2021

craste wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Everybody stop getting shot! Ha ha

Its business as usual for us licence holders. You don't have to subscribe.

But for Noobs just getting into music production this will be great - getting hundreds of pounds worth of kit to play on for $20 per month is great for some people! This will really fill the Reason Studios pockets and that's great because they can then reinvest in more people and more products! So therefore it will have a nice snowball effect. If they have more people that means more frequent quality fixes/upgrades etc!

A win win for Reason Studios.

If you was just starting out and you was unsure which daw to go for, this is a great way to try Reason and we all know its really fun to use so people will 'stick' with it. its a good way to get 'sticky' customers!

Its a great idea. Now just hurry up and give us the next Reason Update for us the long standing loyal customers!
Hey! And thanks. We think so too. We spent a lot of time researching during 2020 and we know there is a huge market of music makers out there who are looking for these sorts of services to help inspire them and make more music. We think Reason+ is the best way to add that Reason goodness to your workflow, whether that is inside Reason or Logic or Live.

And as you say, new users means more sustainable revenue streams which means more investment in Reason.

As Mattias said, you cannot spell Reason+ without Reason. Reason is the core of Reason still.

User avatar
zoidkirb
Posts: 656
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
Location: Brisbane Australia

Post 27 Jan 2021

Aquila wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Just found this whilst snooping around the trial:
Some choice lines of corporate fluff in this video:

"..a subscription service for people who make music because they love it" Ok cool well I hate music so i guess subscriptions aren't for me :lol:
and "...use the Rack inside Reason, our included DAW." which kinda makes the DAW sound a bit like a throwaway extra.

Gotta say, these weekly companion sound packs are very reminiscent of those meal recipes and ingredient packages you can order and cook at home yourself. Also seems a bit like the old "paint by numbers" .
Good thing I can turn a few knobs and make it sound like me :thumbup:

jamespember
Reason Studios
Posts: 1442
Joined: 05 Feb 2020

Post 27 Jan 2021

Aquila wrote:
27 Jan 2021
jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021
after working on a brand new service for a year, we'd like to make Reason+ the hero for a little while! Hence the simplified website.
Understood, but it still seems a little unfair to almost completely obliterate access to your other products.
Once the dust settles, of course things will move around and we have no plans to turn our backs on the RE community or REs in general.
Good to hear.
I personally feel obliterate access is a little harsh, but sure I hear you and understand you. And of course, Mattias and I are already discussing this as we speak.

User avatar
SoundObjects
Posts: 108
Joined: 10 Dec 2018

Post 27 Jan 2021

Is it possible to work offline if you only have a the subscription licens? ;)
The Universe Is Vibrating

User avatar
hfw
Posts: 40
Joined: 30 Nov 2020

Post 27 Jan 2021

I’m really saddened by this move, though inevitable I guess.

What do you mean always up to date reason? I buy my liscence and my reason is always up to date as I install bug fixes - don’t try and sell it like you guys are there fixing bugs daily and making updates, that sucks

Weekly sound packs - no one that helped you guys build this company asked for this. The market is over saturated , again, wtf. That sucks

Now my suite purchase feels like a cash grab before the planned transition to subscription. Man, reason+, jeez. Genuinely, I’m out. I know I’m just a number, but I’m gutted as been around since v1.

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 9258
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 27 Jan 2021

DecafDreams wrote:
27 Jan 2021
  • Freemium: $0 a month - Reason Intro equivalent of stuff - get people engaging and invested in the platform. Only free packs downloadable.
  • Bronze: $10 a month - Reason stock equivalent but no REs extra, Access to most sound packs inclusive.
  • Silver: $20 a month - Reason Suite equivalent and all future RS devices. Access to all sound packs inclusive.
  • Gold: $40 a month - The whole RE shop pick and mix at all times. Access to all sound packs plus you get ReCycle+ and some special Platinum-only sound packs.
This is a interesting idea, maybe not $0 for Intro, better for 5 bucks or something like this.

The thing with other RE is interesting too. Currently you get for $20 RE subscriptions a value based amount of RE, so in fact its already available and tbh, 20 bucks for more ~500 RE is a bit too less.

Whoops: RE subscription is removed :!:
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
zoidkirb
Posts: 656
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
Location: Brisbane Australia

Post 27 Jan 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Aquila wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Just found this whilst snooping around the trial:
Some choice lines of corporate fluff in this video:

"..a subscription service for people who make music because they love it" Ok cool well I hate music so i guess subscriptions aren't for me :lol:
and "...use the Rack inside Reason, our included DAW." which kinda makes the DAW sound a bit like a throwaway extra.

Gotta say, these weekly companion sound packs are very reminiscent of those meal recipes and ingredient packages you can order and cook at home yourself. Also seems a bit like the old "paint by numbers" .
Good thing I can "turn a few knobs and make it sound like me" :thumbup:

jamespember
Reason Studios
Posts: 1442
Joined: 05 Feb 2020

Post 27 Jan 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Aquila wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Just found this whilst snooping around the trial:
Some choice lines of corporate fluff in this video:

"..a subscription service for people who make music because they love it" Ok cool well I hate music so i guess subscriptions aren't for me :lol:
and "...use the Rack inside Reason, our included DAW." which kinda makes the DAW sound a bit like a throwaway extra.

Gotta say, these weekly companion sound packs are very reminiscent of those meal recipes and ingredient packages you can order and cook at home yourself. Also seems a bit like the old "paint by numbers" .
Good thing I can turn a few knobs and make it sound like me :thumbup:
Hi there :)

One might say corporate fluff, but let me explain how we are thinking about this.

Reason has struggled of recent times to break out of our niche. We have a very loyal and engaged audience (this thread is evidence of that), but we have struggled to attract new users. There are a variety of reasons for that (which we can go into at another time) but one of the things we think is really holding Reason back is the way we talk about it. Making music isn't about the gear. And we think we've talked too much about the gear in our marketing. Reason+ is an attempt to look up a little, and realise that making music is about being creative and expressing yourself.

And we think Reason's BIG superpower, compared to say, Splice or Arcade is that Reason is a sound design machine. The best music has always been unique, and we think Reason can give a music maker the tools to sound unique, hence Sound Like You.

Perhaps my "marketing" hat is sitting a little too tight, but I do believe this and think Reason+ can vastly expand the number of Reason users out there. And that can ONLY be a good thing for you all, the hardcore fans who want us to invest more in the core product.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], integerpoet, Jackjackdaw, Melody303, olive6741, reusenoise and 9 guests