Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
orthodox
RE Developer

03 Mar 2021

Jagwah

05 Mar 2021

Aosta wrote:
24 Feb 2021
I've had a growing feeling over the last couple of versions that for whatever reason they lack the ability to fully move the software forward in it's functionality and instead are pumping out shiny objects to calm the customers.
Sorry for the late reply, totally agree there could be something inherently wrong in the coding that has prevented development of the sequencer!

selig
RE Developer

05 Mar 2021

Jagwah wrote:
05 Mar 2021
Aosta wrote:
24 Feb 2021
I've had a growing feeling over the last couple of versions that for whatever reason they lack the ability to fully move the software forward in it's functionality and instead are pumping out shiny objects to calm the customers.
Sorry for the late reply, totally agree there could be something inherently wrong in the coding that has prevented development of the sequencer!
I admit I'm a dreamer, but at one point (exactly because of what you say above) I decided that the truly best path forward, although one I doubt we'll ever see, is to basically redesign the DAW and approach the current version of Reason as a plugin or series of plugins for the main DAW. That way they could start from scratch with the sequencer/mixer using with a scalable interface and at the same time more easily add all the base line features we expect, while still retaining backwards file compatibility with existing Reason files.
Along those lines, one solution is to treat the current SSL mixer like the old 14:2 mixer was treated in the move from Reason to Record. The SSL would thus act as a sub mixer wrapped by a larger//newer and more flexible mixer with interchangeable channels from SSL to Neve to API to Trident to Sphere to Harrison to MCI - you get the idea…
You could alternatively make the current files open directly into the new mixer using the SSL channels as the default channel.

Maybe that's been part of the plan all along - to move Reason to being thought of more as a Plugin, and THEN to create a new and more modernforward looking DAW.
Yea, what have I been smoking, I know. I'm a dreamer and I never said otherwise.
Selig Audio, LLC

Billy+

05 Mar 2021

I hope that's not the plan.....

selig
RE Developer

05 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
05 Mar 2021
I hope that's not the plan.....
It beats the status quo, no?
Selig Audio, LLC

Billy+

05 Mar 2021

Hey are you really asking me?

I still think they should implement vst midi routing for 2.4 devices, yeah I know the standard is dead but my vst's still work apart from the lack of routing inside Reason, they say they want to increase the user base / revenue and I say stop stiffing us then and do it right or don't bother..... I'm not interested in hi rez gpu accelerated graphics FFS I want to make music not play pong 2050 with VR headset.

moneykube

05 Mar 2021

Authorizations are screwing up through the site causing multiple times of licences being written... an updated rack will only work on my authorized computer with the dongle... I wish they would straighten out these server messes ! Server problems always happen on the weekend when they are away... this is getting highly annoying :thumbs_down:
It won't let me authorize using sync all ... man I thought it was the version of reason and went back to 11.3.6... yet this crap happens again without companion indicating they AGAIN are have server issues. Nothing has changed here other then turn2 on updated a rack to 2,0 and the last predator update... neither bought racks work off line without the licence key !(authorized predator 2 days ago and turn2 on >Catalyst Multimode Filter 2.0.0 today... tried multiple browsers to sync my purchased racks to this computer. :cry: Authorizing my computer was never a problem before the new service was introduced... and this issue has wasted much of my time! FIX the server weekend quirks please ! At one point it said I had to authorize my racks on line but when I click ok... it fails.(could not connect to server- yet ignition key can? wtf) The only way to use the two racks is to use the ignition key, they say they are dropping support for. ( a not a very well thought out decision imo)
Countless weekends have had the server malfunction in my many years of using Reason... why is this so difficult?
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

WOO

06 Mar 2021

selig wrote:
05 Mar 2021
Jagwah wrote:
05 Mar 2021

I admit I'm a dreamer, but at one point (exactly because of what you say above) I decided that the truly best path forward, although one I doubt we'll ever see, is to basically redesign the DAW and approach the current version of Reason as a plugin or series of plugins for the main DAW. That way they could start from scratch with the sequencer/mixer using with a scalable interface and at the same time more easily add all the base line features we expect, while still retaining backwards file compatibility with existing Reason files.
Along those lines, one solution is to treat the current SSL mixer like the old 14:2 mixer was treated in the move from Reason to Record. The SSL would thus act as a sub mixer wrapped by a larger//newer and more flexible mixer with interchangeable channels from SSL to Neve to API to Trident to Sphere to Harrison to MCI - you get the idea…
You could alternatively make the current files open directly into the new mixer using the SSL channels as the default channel.

Maybe that's been part of the plan all along - to move Reason to being thought of more as a Plugin, and THEN to create a new and more modernforward looking DAW.
Yea, what have I been smoking, I know. I'm a dreamer and I never said otherwise.
Yea I remember being certain that for its 20th anniversary reason was going to release a revolutionary new program that would include everything that makes reason special married with all of the best features from all other daws on the market. It would be so revolutionary that it would become the new industry standard daw for recording studio's around the world and the daw of choice for both professional's and hobbyists' alike. And that would be the start of reasons domination in the music software and hardware markets for the next 20 years! Seriously now and all smoking aside :lol: Fingers crossed

moneykube

06 Mar 2021

moneykube wrote:
05 Mar 2021
Authorizations are screwing up through the site causing multiple times of licences being written... an updated rack will only work on my authorized computer with the dongle... I wish they would straighten out these server messes ! Server problems always happen on the weekend when they are away... this is getting highly annoying :thumbs_down:
It won't let me authorize using sync all ... man I thought it was the version of reason and went back to 11.3.6... yet this crap happens again without companion indicating they AGAIN are have server issues. Nothing has changed here other then turn2 on updated a rack to 2,0 and the last predator update... neither bought racks work off line without the licence key !(authorized predator 2 days ago and turn2 on >Catalyst Multimode Filter 2.0.0 today... tried multiple browsers to sync my purchased racks to this computer. :cry: Authorizing my computer was never a problem before the new service was introduced... and this issue has wasted much of my time! FIX the server weekend quirks please ! At one point it said I had to authorize my racks on line but when I click ok... it fails.(could not connect to server- yet ignition key can? wtf) The only way to use the two racks is to use the ignition key, they say they are dropping support for. ( a not a very well thought out decision imo)
Countless weekends have had the server malfunction in my many years of using Reason... why is this so difficult?
fix this grrr... every time I open reason I have license again/// this is bloody pathetic... fix your software !

moneykube

06 Mar 2021

seems to fit here to add to 100 pages
Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 3.58.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 3.58.13 AM.png (310.96 KiB) Viewed 38144 times
AND YES I SUBMITTED 2 tickets so far since you said to do so>>>rather then discussing the PROBLEM... which seems your goal for some odd reason. SHHHHH
Surprise us and finally be humble "your greatness"
Last edited by moneykube on 06 Mar 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Yonatan

06 Mar 2021

This thread will get obsolete the day Reason gets the new "Ram-fix" update. Locked at 100.

Rappelled Hero

06 Mar 2021

Yonatan wrote:
06 Mar 2021
This thread will get obsolete the day Reason gets the new "Ram-fix" update. Locked at 100.
Has there been any word when it's coming?

moneykube

06 Mar 2021

Yonatan wrote:
06 Mar 2021
sure> but that is far from the fixes needed... don't care about daw features... make it work like it did ! Ram bug would be icing on the cake !

Melody303

06 Mar 2021

I've got a little rambling to do, and I suppose this thread is more appropriate for it than starting a new one.

I fear the overhaul some of the vocal users are hoping for.
Upgrading has always been a cost/benefit analysis for me, and I don't even mean the pricing of the upgrade as the cost. I admit it, I do fear change, I'm very good with Reason as it is (or more accurately, version 10.4 of Reason). The costs I fear are breaks in compatibility (a few of those have occurred along the way already), and changes to the workflow (even some that are nearly universally acclaimed).
Fortunately for me, the benefit doesn't easily eclipse the cost, it takes a 'killer feature' to make me take those leaps, and in a few cases, that killer feature was a new RE that required a newer version for SDK updates.

Another note that came to mind is how even if Reason implements all the features everyone has been vocal about wanting in a future version, it seems those same requesters would hail the new version as adequate, at best (at least according to how an apparent majority of those feature requests are phrased to begin with.) Simply up to par with current alternatives, or perhaps it'd even get to the point of indistinguishability from other DAWs.

None of that is about R+, which I'll remind you, I also fear, but so long as buying perpetual licenses remains an option, I don't mind too much.
Oh, and again, bring the shop link back to the top of the RS homepage already.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

Billy+

06 Mar 2021

Bookmark it :- https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/ I updated my favourites to go to the shop rather than the front page.

Melody303

06 Mar 2021

Billy+ wrote:
06 Mar 2021
Bookmark it :- https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/ I updated my favourites to go to the shop rather than the front page.
Thanks, but it's less about my own usage of it and more about the lack of visibility to the public.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

Billy+

06 Mar 2021

Melody303 wrote:
06 Mar 2021
Billy+ wrote:
06 Mar 2021
Thanks, but it's less about my own usage of it and more about the lack of visibility to the public.
Given that the current coverage is aimed at subscribers and preferably completely new to Reason it kinda makes sense that they have hidden the whole shop.

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 Mar 2021

WOO wrote:
06 Mar 2021

Yea I remember being certain that for its 20th anniversary reason was going to release a revolutionary new program that would include everything that makes reason special ...
Isn't that what R+ is? :thumbup:

plaamook

07 Mar 2021

Jagwah wrote:
05 Mar 2021
Aosta wrote:
24 Feb 2021
I have also wondered about this. That it's flawed at its core.
But there was a break of sorts between 10-11. You can run both versions in parallel. So maybe that's the way forward. A break which would mean that you'd lose back compatibility but with the option of porting projects over manually via copy paste and patches and so forth.
I wouldn't mind that so long as the options are there to do so. It would mean another work around but we're used to that round here.
If it gets us a decent sequencer it might be worth the hassle, no?
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Jagwah

07 Mar 2021

selig wrote:
05 Mar 2021
Jagwah wrote:
05 Mar 2021

That sounds great, anything would if it could move the software forward instead of just rack devices. Then again, they did add transient slicing and pitch correction among other things to the sequencer, keeps me in two minds about the whole thing. Some clarification from Props would be great, but if there is some inherent problem - probably best only they know about it $$ :twisted: $$

Jagwah

07 Mar 2021

plaamook wrote:
07 Mar 2021
All roads are leading to this conclusion. People have been saying it for a very long time. Just the other day Mattias was quoted on KVR saying Reason is a rack device program or some bollox to that effect, that's just lovely to hear. :thumbdown:

plaamook

07 Mar 2021

Jagwah wrote:
07 Mar 2021
plaamook wrote:
07 Mar 2021
All roads are leading to this conclusion. People have been saying it for a very long time. Just the other day Mattias was quoted on KVR saying Reason is a rack device program or some bollox to that effect, that's just lovely to hear. :thumbdown:
Yeah I saw somthing about that.
But still, fantasy or not, props stand the best chance of advancing things. RRP isn’t the solution. Not in its current form anyway. And porting projects to smother daw? That’s too much.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Billy+

10 Mar 2021

moneykube wrote:
05 Mar 2021
Has this fixed your licensing issues :- Added retry option when Rack Extension license download fails

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7522221

• Information