Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
Faastwalker

26 Feb 2021

Anyone re-assessing Reason+ following Algoritm release? I really like the look of Algoritm. So it gave me cause for thought. Still on Reason 10. So with a Reason+ subscription I'd currently gain the following;

Reason 11

Algoritm FM Synthesizer
MIDI Out Device (new version)
Scenic Hybrid Instrument
Umpf Club Drums
Umpf Retro Beats
Reason Electric Bass
Reason Drum Kits
Processed Pianos
Radical Keys
Layers Quadrasonic Sample Player
Layers Waves Edition

Sweeper Modulation Effect
Quartet Chorus Ensemble
Master Bus Compressor
Channel Dynamics
Channel EQ
Rotor Rotary Speaker

Pattern Mutator
Beat Map Algorhythmic Drummer
Quad Note Generator
PolyStep Sequencer

:crazy:

EnochLight

26 Feb 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
26 Feb 2021
Anyone re-assessing Reason+ following Algoritm release? I really like the look of Algoritm. So it gave me cause for thought. Still on Reason 10. So with a Reason+ subscription I'd currently gain the following;

Reason 11

Algoritm FM Synthesizer
Scenic Hybrid Instrument
Umpf Club Drums
Umpf Retro Beats
Reason Electric Bass
Reason Drum Kits
Processed Pianos
Radical Keys
Layers Waves Edition

Quartet Chorus Ensemble
Master Bus Compressor
Channel Dynamics
Channel EQ
Rotor Rotary Speaker

Pattern Mutator
Quad Note Generator
PolyStep Sequencer

I advise you to just download the Algoritm demo from the Shop and give it a spin for 30 days. Then choose whether you want to spend $99 USD and buy it outright for use in R10 and continue as you were, or drop $20/month and get everything NOW - including R11 and Algoritm. That said, it's been stated that R12 is coming later this year, so then you'd be out another (at least) $129 USD to get the R12 upgrade, so now you're in $229 USD for Algoritm and the latest version of Reason proper. That's almost 1 year of a R+ sub, where you could have had everything.

To be frank, as of today - just signing up for a R+ sub at least for the next 11-12 months will offer you more. A metric ton more, since current Reason owners can sub to R+ for 50% off for the first year. If you want Algoritm and would want R12, it would be unwise to pass up that deal - assuming you're prepared to keep subbing in the future.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

RoryM0

26 Feb 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
26 Feb 2021
... So with a Reason+ subscription I'd currently gain the following;

Reason 11
Algoritm FM Synthesizer
Scenic Hybrid Instrument
Umpf Club Drums
Umpf Retro Beats
Reason Electric Bass
Reason Drum Kits
Processed Pianos
Radical Keys
Layers Waves Edition

Quartet Chorus Ensemble
Master Bus Compressor
Channel Dynamics
Channel EQ
Rotor Rotary Speaker

Pattern Mutator
Quad Note Generator
PolyStep Sequencer

I'm in a similar position with regards to what I'd gain (also include Friktion!), but I just can't get past the mental blockade that is the subscription. This is a hobby, I have no intention of it not being a hobby, so I'd have to keep paying no matter what. I can't get past that in my head... For better or worse.

Right now I'm considering buying Algoritm AND Friktion with the knowledge that R12 is on the horizon. That's at least £330. Probably more. But I just can't convince myself that R+ is good deal for me. Silly really I suppose.

jaeproduced

26 Feb 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
26 Feb 2021

Reason 11

Algoritm FM Synthesizer
Scenic Hybrid Instrument
Umpf Club Drums
Umpf Retro Beats
Reason Electric Bass
Reason Drum Kits
Processed Pianos
Radical Keys
Layers Waves Edition

Quartet Chorus Ensemble
Master Bus Compressor
Channel Dynamics
Channel EQ
Rotor Rotary Speaker

Pattern Mutator
Quad Note Generator
PolyStep Sequencer

The Big Road Block for me is that you have to be Online to access Reason+. So if you don't have wifi or access to an internet connection you want be using any of those RE's you will only be able to access the last version of Reason you purchased to use offline...

gbball

26 Feb 2021

GRIFTY wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Don't follow reason anymore so I've only just heard about this update but my take: shit sucks just as bad as the last five years of reason updates have. See you guys the next time reason drops some shit corporate SAAS bullshit & tries to market it as a benefit to long time users
I don't understand this. As someone who chose Reason as my first DAW, on version 7, I couldn't be happier with the updates.

I've walked into a mature Rack Extension ecosystem, the addition of VST support, great new devices, including the introduction of players, the ability to use Reason in my other DAWs (Reaper and Bitwig). Soon there will be a hires upgrade. I don't see what everyone's complaining about all the time. Other DAWs might have advanced in certain ways, but it would be hard for any of them to bring the library of native devices that Reason offers, not to mention its unique and experimental workflow. Bitwig has some similarities and offers the raw patching capabilities that Reason does, but even then, it's still not quite the same for some reason. I'm happy to see what they have in store for the DAW, because they've shown themselves to be a company that continuously innovates. Why not just appreciate it for what it does well and be patient for the other stuff?

Billy+

26 Feb 2021

lol I can't believe how many are considered subscription just to lay their hands on the latest synth....

It's not a difficult decision, £$€20 per month for what you get is fairly good, and if you don't use it every month you can pause / cancel the subscription.

We never get a major update every 12 months, but we do seem to have gotten a few devices lately even if some of us had already paid for them before they got rolled into a new major update, and as the suite devices got rolled into the subscription it does make a nice collection all in all.

What you really need to ask yourself is how pissed off are you going to be when for whatever reason you can't afford the subscription in a year or two and figure out that you could have just brought the extras and would own it.

I hardly think about my update costs and the odd RE, shall I share my secret with you.....

I put £20 to one side every payday generally for my upgrade over the year it's definitely above £240 and if I get cash for my birthday or something I'll put that in my tin as well and before I know it I've usually put enough money to one side to get the things I really want.

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2021

I'm finding the subscription hard to justify right now. It's up to ReasonStudios to make R+ at $20/mo a no-brainer. Right now it's not. We'll just have to wait and see what they've got, but Algoritm is pretty lit.

Faastwalker

26 Feb 2021

EnochLight wrote:
26 Feb 2021
I advise you to just download the Algoritm demo from the Shop and give it a spin for 30 days. Then choose whether you want to spend $99 USD and buy it outright for use in R10 and continue as you were, or drop $20/month and get everything NOW - including R11 and Algoritm. That said, it's been stated that R12 is coming later this year, so then you'd be out another (at least) $129 USD to get the R12 upgrade, so now you're in $229 USD for Algoritm and the latest version of Reason proper. That's almost 1 year of a R+ sub, where you could have had everything.

To be frank, as of today - just signing up for a R+ sub at least for the next 11-12 months will offer you more. A metric ton more, since current Reason owners can sub to R+ for 50% off for the first year. If you want Algoritm and would want R12, it would be unwise to pass up that deal - assuming you're prepared to keep subbing in the future.
Lots of ways to look at it. But I must admit Algoritm has definitely made it a lot more appealing. And I want the extra features of R11 but can't justify the cost as it was mostly about VST, which I wouldn't use currently. Then there's 'R12', whatever form that may take. It's an unknown at the moment, although we have some some of the devices made into hi-res (finally!). I'd definitely get use out of many of the RE's and Players I don't currently own, although some I doubt I'd use at all. Erm :?
RoryM0 wrote:
26 Feb 2021
I'm in a similar position with regards to what I'd gain (also include Friktion!), but I just can't get past the mental blockade that is the subscription. This is a hobby, I have no intention of it not being a hobby, so I'd have to keep paying no matter what. I can't get past that in my head... For better or worse. Right now I'm considering buying Algoritm AND Friktion with the knowledge that R12 is on the horizon. That's at least £330. Probably more. But I just can't convince myself that R+ is good deal for me. Silly really I suppose.
Agreed. I'm not fan of subscriptions at all. It's not that I don't think Reason+ is worth it. I'd have to say it is because I use Reason all the time. But it's not just Reason+ is it. There's ALL the other monthly subscriptions and outgoings. That's why I dislike the subs model so much. On their own they don't amount to much. But all together they become a monster! When you think about all the monthly outgoings people have & how much disposable income they have after it all. Before you get to the icing on the cake like your TV subs, software subs (Adobe, Reason etc.). There's internet, mobile phone, electric, gas, gym, car loan/lease, medical insurance, rent/mortgage ......... the list goes on. With luxuries, hobbies etc. it's nice to think you can buy them / own them separate to all that. Having my favorite thing ever, Reason, become just another monthly outgoing does leave a nasty taste in the mouth. For something I and everyone here has so much invested in it's not a nice place we're going to. Feels like a big step towards our pay checks not going into our bank account but instead being disrupted to a stack of other accounts, with less and less left over for unforeseen circumstances ................ Christ, that was another hugely melodramatic post wasn't it!! Apologies!! :oops:

Faastwalker

26 Feb 2021

jamespember wrote:
25 Feb 2021
Faastwalker wrote:
25 Feb 2021

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. Existing users get a discount don't they? How do they get this? I seem to recall getting an email. But it's long gone now!!

EDIT: scrub that. Found info here - https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... 0019069760

EDIT EDIT: Actually the question I initially asked is answered on that page as well! :thumbs_up:
:thumbs_up: Yep, let me know if you run into any problems/issues.
I've chosen to Reason+ trial, selected 'annual sub' as option from here https://www.reasonstudios.com/plus/subscriber/

This shows 'Will change to Reason+ Annual Subscription ($99.50/year) on 2021-03-29'. However, when I go to 'manage subscription' I see;

I thought existing users automatically got the 50% annual discount?! :? Why have I not got this? (hovering over the 'cancel subscription' button circa March 28th 2021!!).

Jagwah

27 Feb 2021

I want to get Algoritm as rent to own, but I feel hesitant as it could be the main / big feature of the Reason 12 upgrade.

@ the question above no it certainly did not want me to change to a subscription model, I already have too many tools to learn in depth, that's all for the kiddies who get wild eyed at the sight of two thousand rack devices assuming that's what makes a great musician - at least the advertising can reflect that for them.

RoryM0

27 Feb 2021

Jagwah wrote:
27 Feb 2021
I want to get Algoritm as rent to own, but I feel hesitant as it could be the main / big feature of the Reason 12 upgrade.
I would say that is highly unlikely.

marcotronic

27 Feb 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
26 Feb 2021
jamespember wrote:
25 Feb 2021

I've chosen to Reason+ trial, selected 'annual sub' as option from here https://www.reasonstudios.com/plus/subscriber/

This shows 'Will change to Reason+ Annual Subscription ($99.50/year) on 2021-03-29'. However, when I go to 'manage subscription' I see;

I thought existing users automatically got the 50% annual discount?! :? Why have I not got this? (hovering over the 'cancel subscription' button circa March 28th 2021!!).
Hi there, the same happened to me today. This is totally confusing and actually caused me to cancel the whole thing again (and I'm sure a lot of other users as well...). I also opened a ticket for this.

edit: I have now enabled the yearly subscription again and it still says 199 instead of 99.50 but maybe they will put their discount on that when the payment is actually done. I have look into their FAQs where the say that 50% will be made upon payment. Still highly confusing! If they charge me the full price I will definitely ask for a 50% refund.

here's what they write in their FAQ
https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... 0019069760

"We’ll automatically apply a 50% discount to your first transaction upon first payment if you enter your billing details and do not cancel your subscription during the free month."

Marco

OverneathTheSkyBridg

27 Feb 2021

marcotronic wrote:
27 Feb 2021
Faastwalker wrote:
26 Feb 2021

Hi there, the same happened to me today. This is totally confusing and actually caused me to cancel the whole thing again (and I'm sure a lot of other users as well...). I also opened a ticket for this.

edit: I have now enabled the yearly subscription again and it still says 199 instead of 99.50 but maybe they will put their discount on that when the payment is actually done. I have look into their FAQs where the say that 50% will be made upon payment. Still highly confusing! If they charge me the full price I will definitely ask for a 50% refund.

"We’ll automatically apply a 50% discount to your first transaction upon first payment if you enter your billing details and do not cancel your subscription during the free month."

Marco
Looks like the 50% discount only applies if you're committing to an annual subscription up front.

marcotronic

27 Feb 2021

if they offer me a personal link - being logged in to my account - saying "change to a yearly subscription for 99.50 EUR" I can expect that they only charge 99.50 EUR.

Also on one page they actually say I will pay 99.50 EUR:
9950.PNG
9950.PNG (24.39 KiB) Viewed 5830 times
and then in the details it's 199 EUR:
199.PNG
199.PNG (17.12 KiB) Viewed 5830 times

jamespember
Reason Studios

27 Feb 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
26 Feb 2021
jamespember wrote:
25 Feb 2021

Hi there, apologies for the confusion here. This is because the discount coupon is applied at the time of the transaction, not before. We show you the right price on our page (99.50) which you pointed out, but on the manage subscription page, it shows 199 because the discount code hasn't technically been applied to the next invoice yet.

So rest assured, you will only be billed 99.50 if you choose to go for it.

There is no glitch or bug or anything going on with your account, it's just a quirk of how the coupon system works in our subscription management platform. That said, we are working to reduce the confusion here by seeing if we can "pre-apply" the coupon to the next invoice amount before the transaction.

Please feel free to DM me if you want to go through this in more detail or 1 on 1.

jamespember
Reason Studios

27 Feb 2021

marcotronic wrote:
27 Feb 2021
Faastwalker wrote:
26 Feb 2021

Marco
See my post above. You definitely will not be charged the full amount. And you are 100% correct, the coupon/discount is applied at the time of the transaction. We're trying to make this a bit clearer. Thanks for your input!

jamespember
Reason Studios

27 Feb 2021

And just to be even clearer, even if you cancel your initial trial now, you still have until April 27th to redeem the 50% off the first year deal, even if you have used up the trial period.

This article explains how you redeem the offer even if your trial has already expired.

Again, if you are currently in a trial and have entered your card, this all happens automatically, but this is good to be aware of too if you want more time to decide.

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... what-s-up-

marcotronic

27 Feb 2021

jamespember wrote:
27 Feb 2021
See my post above. You definitely will not be charged the full amount. And you are 100% correct, the coupon/discount is applied at the time of the transaction. We're trying to make this a bit clearer. Thanks for your input!
That's great to hear! Yes, please make that more obvious. I'm pretty sure a lot of people will face this issue in the coming days ;)

Thanks!
Marco

Jagwah

27 Feb 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
27 Feb 2021
Europa and Grain were sold like this, that's why I am hesitant. I've already started using it in my work so I will rent to own. It's a great modern FM synth.

RoryM0

27 Feb 2021

Jagwah wrote:
27 Feb 2021
RoryM0 wrote:
27 Feb 2021
Europa and Grain were sold like this, that's why I am hesitant. I've already started using it in my work so I will rent to own. It's a great modern FM synth.
Europa and grain were not sold as seperate REs before being added to R10. They have never been available to buy from the shop.

TBH Reason+ has convinced me that buying RS stuff is safer than ever when it comes to worries that it'll be added to standard Reason at some point in the near future. Doing that would detract from the value of the subscription. Doubt that their recent stuff will appear in Reason for several years, if ever.

Jagwah

27 Feb 2021

RoryM0 wrote:
27 Feb 2021
Jagwah wrote:
27 Feb 2021

Europa and grain were not sold as seperate REs before being added to R10. They have never been available to buy from the shop.
Correct, I mean they were sold as part of an upgrade. Who can say this will not happen with Algoritm, I don't find it highly unlikely like you do, therefore I am a little hesitant like I mentioned. :thumbup:

BTW, Radical Piano was sold in the shop, then it was included in an upgrade, that's just off the top of my head.

RoryM0

27 Feb 2021

Radical piano is certainly an example of something that began life as a separately available RE being added to full Reason as part of an upgrade. However Radical piano was released in 2012. So Algoritm could go that way I guess after 5-6 years. It's possible I agree.

Europa and Grain are not examples of things that started life as a separately available RE being added to Reason as part of an upgrade.

Billy+

27 Feb 2021

Jagwah wrote:
27 Feb 2021
Correct, I mean they were sold as part of an upgrade. Who can say this will not happen with Algoritm, I don't find it highly unlikely like you do, therefore I am a little hesitant like I mentioned. :thumbup:
While you are right to say that as it has happened on more than one occasion I don't think anything will be getting included in the next major upgrade as it's clear that subscription is the preferred model and it's a lot easier to sell that with a clear difference between the all included subscription vs the minimum major license.

What I would personally prefer is the daw being enhanced for a reasonable cost to perpetual owners, with the RE's continuing to be offered as normal including sales / rent-to-own and extra subscription as they are currently.

Some people will prefer to rent a few months a year or for particular projects, while others like me will continue to buy a license because they prefer to.

Jagwah

27 Feb 2021

If only Reason upgrades consisted of actual Reason upgrades we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
Billy+ wrote:
27 Feb 2021
...I don't think anything will be getting included in the next major upgrade as it's clear that subscription is the preferred model and it's a lot easier to sell that with a clear difference between the all included subscription vs the minimum major license.
Well there's a first for everything, and RoryMO seems almost certain about it, but we will just have to see as nothing is set in concrete.

However that subscription model is set now so I don't see it changing, though I would prefer your idea of just paying for reason enhancements. Then again, I am not their preferred customer, I already spent a bunch of money and I'm quite content with my tools now.

RoryM0

27 Feb 2021

:thumbup: I'm just doing my bit to get us to 100 pages :puf_smile:

• Information