Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
joeyluck

27 Jan 2021

certifiedbeatz wrote:
27 Jan 2021
joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Perpetual licenses are still an option and you can choose that route if you have the money as a new user to pay $399 or to upgrade for $129. Reason is still one the cheapest DAWs to upgrade and one of the few DAWs that doesn't have tiered upgrade paths. It's still $129 for everybody from any version.

Or there is the option to subscribe for less money up front and have access to Reason plus all the REs by Reason Studios. Prices didn't go up for perpetual licenses. An option for subscription was introduced. So you've got it all wrong. People now have options. It's up to the user to decide the best path, but we simply have more options. So I don't get your argument.
No sorry not an argument.. but $99 the first year I believe $199 a year after to never own anything?

I watch the whole stream and still not understanding..
It is an additional OPTION lol. Access to using Reason is now more flexible.

There have been others here saying they appreciate the move so now they can afford to use Reason and all the RS REs and sound packs. It is up to the individual to choose to subscribe or buy a license. If is up to them to weigh the pros and cons of each.

sprinkles__

27 Jan 2021

miscend wrote:
27 Jan 2021
sprinkles__ wrote:
27 Jan 2021

VC CEO will crash this company then tiptoe off into another CEO role like nothing happened. It's what they do. They never pay for their mistakes but operate in a totally different world in which getting it totally wrong has zero consequences for them personally.
Analogy falls flat. How do you compare the most powerful and successful PM since Thatcher to a failed CEO?

Anyway businesses exist solely to make profit. If they are making money they are doing well. If you dont like that model there is freeware and there is open source.
wow, some people are really stupid.

miscend

27 Jan 2021

sprinkles__ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
miscend wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Analogy falls flat. How do you compare the most powerful and successful PM since Thatcher to a failed CEO?

Anyway businesses exist solely to make profit. If they are making money they are doing well. If you dont like that model there is freeware and there is open source.
Indeed, I can see that too.

hfw

27 Jan 2021

sprinkles__ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
miscend wrote:
27 Jan 2021

I feel you

EdwardKiy

27 Jan 2021

miscend wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Yes, if you don't like something - just hide under the blanket. It's a very effective and fulfilling lifestyle.

joeyluck

27 Jan 2021

earwig83 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Reason+ is worth a try just for Companion!

It's such a breath of fresh air compared to Authorizer. You can choose to install and uninstall individual REs directly from Companion. There are currently 2 sync all options; one for all of the Reason+/Reason Studios REs and a separate one for all of your other REs. It's still not a completely customizable sync all, but it is already so much better, and I think one day we may see more options for that.

It also sorts uninstalled REs to the top of the list :thumbup:
The realtime search is super snappy (when browsing packs or your REs).

The sound packs are really great too. I think this is worth checking out, even if you are a user who owns everything already, just to checkout Companion and the packs.

20 a month so I can install my REs with a nicer GUI? Authorizer implementation was always an insult to anyone with a UX/UI brian.
I said "worth a TRY" ;)

You get 30 days free. So anybody can check out Companion and download some sound packs... And if you are an existing Reason user and you like it, you can sign up to pay $10/month for a year. I pay more for Netflix and they don't let me keep any movies or shows 😆

With all the time people are spending here on the forum, nobody can tell me it's a waste of time to try Reason+ and Companion for free and check out some packs. Or on that note, maybe we should reevaluate the value of a ReasonTalk membership 🤔 😛

miscend

27 Jan 2021

hfw wrote:
27 Jan 2021
sprinkles__ wrote:
27 Jan 2021

I feel you
I feel that too. I say to the naysayers come back here after 5 or 10 years. And see if the company has been crashed.

groggy1

27 Jan 2021

There's one thing I didn't understand (and maybe it's somewhere in this 50 page thread but I couldn't find it sorry :))

The blog says that if you're on the subscription you get features FIRST.

I totally get that you'll get new REs first. And sound packs first.

But does it mean that in the future some FEATURE (let's say "track folders") would be available to subscription folks immediately, but NOT be available as a dot-upgrade for folks that bought Reason12 (or latest version?)

I.e. will non-subscribers have to wait longer for actual features?

Popey
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

earwig83 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Popey wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I think this is a good idea for new users but think there is a lot of marketing required to make it work.

Let's face it if you were interested in a daw and starting out with no experience you most likely head to google for info. On google you would likely find reason in the bottom half of most top 10 lists. Then maybe look at price? £20 seems reasonable but look studio ones sphere is only £15. Now in my opinion reason has better instruments than S1 but if said beginner goes on you tube they are more likely to find ableton, logic, cubase S1 etc videos before they do reason so may be oblivious to this fact.

This leads me to my next point which is respecting loyal users. The poll on this page and comments on the you tube videos reason studios have posted are largely negative in my opinion and a bit of a pr disaster however do show a loyal following who care about the product. Considering reason staff have been on this thread I would ask them to consider liaising with loyal followers to look at tweaks to the subscription model to make this palatable (eg. One years subscription 12x £20 payments Grant's you the current version full perpetual licence and perhaps one re of your choice, 18 months payments eg another further 6 months subscription enables you one more free re etc). That way if people commit to a year they are safe in the knowledge they own something.

I am kinda worried how things are heading and what impact it may have on this reason talk forum which is a really decent community. Seems decisions at the moment are designed to grab new users which is fair enough as businesses need new revenue to survive but not at the cost alienating loyal customers who already have a connection with their brand.
STOP WITH THE LOGIC! :)
Dont worry I will sober up soon and all traces of logical thought will disappear🤣.

That live stream was horrendous.

stp2015

27 Jan 2021

groggy1 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
There's one thing I didn't understand (and maybe it's somewhere in this 50 page thread but I couldn't find it sorry :))

The blog says that if you're on the subscription you get features FIRST.

I totally get that you'll get new REs first. And sound packs first.

But does it mean that in the future some FEATURE (let's say "track folders") would be available to subscription folks immediately, but NOT be available as a dot-upgrade for folks that bought Reason12 (or latest version?)

That seems highly unlikely. I think they meant first in the sense that no one else gets them earlier. But anyone else who buys the upgrade separately will also get it "first".

WOO

27 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2021
earwig83 wrote:
27 Jan 2021

20 a month so I can install my REs with a nicer GUI? Authorizer implementation was always an insult to anyone with a UX/UI brian.
I said "worth a TRY" ;)

You get 30 days free. So anybody can check out Companion and download some sound packs... And if you are an existing Reason user and you like it, you can sign up to pay $10/month for a year. I pay more for Netflix and they don't let me keep any movies or shows 😆

With all the time people are spending here on the forum, nobody can tell me it's a waste of time to try Reason+ and Companion for free and check out some packs. Or on that note, maybe we should reevaluate the value of a ReasonTalk membership 🤔 😛
It is for someone like myself where it can take 5 -6 hours to download a 500 mb re and if I have to pause the download or the connection is lost there is no resume feature built in. Did reason fix that with this update?

aftrshok99

27 Jan 2021

Serious question.....was there this much of an uproar when Presonus introduced Sphere? Or was it less of an uproar because S1 tends to implement workflow improvements more often unlike RS.
Reason+ / Bitwig Studio 4 / NI Maschine MK3 / Novation Launchpad Mini MK3 / NI M32

Creativemind

27 Jan 2021

miscend wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Creativemind wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Listened to the stream now for 40 mins-ish (bit behind) and Mattias has just answered the question of what's happening to the core daw, he said, "nothing's changed" and talked for about a minute on it if that. Didn't really elaborate much. Said he'll continue adding what people have asked for, like feedback but they're hardly adding anything? I came away thinking, nothing's really gonna change. Made me feel really disheartened.

I've said it a week or so ago, I think Reason 12 is gonna be really telling. If Reason 12 doesn't really subsequently address major feature flaws then I think I'll finally concede and just continue using the RRP in Reaper and probably not give Reason the actual daw much thought after that.
DAW updates are a contentious issue. Last year Cubase updated to v11 and people on forums were absolutely livid. I think its a great update. As for Reason I cannot remember an update that didn't piss some people off. Even if they update major flaws with Reason v12 there will still be outrage. Someone else will not like that direction and wish they worked on other features instead. RS said 2020 was their best year ever and 40% of the user base is now using Reason as a plugin in other DAWs. So they must be doing something right with the new direction.
No I personally had to move away from Reason after 8 & a half years. Did so 'cause the features missing were just trickling in too slowly.

The devices / stock sounds are great, I'm used to the instruments etc and they provided a plug-in version so it was time to learn another daw. I won't be returning till significant workflow improvements are implemented. Looking like at least 2 full version releases time and that'll be pushing it. First time I booted it up was yesterday to upgrade. Last time I used it (months ago now) I just thought, this is so behind the times workflow-wise. Went back to Reaper.
Last edited by Creativemind on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Unisonus

27 Jan 2021

As long as this is an *alternative* and doesn't replace the option to upgrade selectively and keep the license, there's no reason to be upset. Whether or not Reason Studios honors that commitment in the long term is an open question.

I would welcome an OctoREX with cloud connectivity.

Auryn

27 Jan 2021

miscend wrote:
27 Jan 2021
That is a woefully one-sided take on Tony Blair and his 'legacy'
miscend wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I'm pretty sure that when rebirth and reason were first conceived, making money wasn't the first motivator, so this is another reductionist and dismissive view. This kind of corporate thinking continues to be a blight on our societies.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

Creativemind

27 Jan 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
27 Jan 2021
EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021

If people in this thread can take anything away from it, I should hope that it is this alone. ;)
That or the fact RS have pissed on their core users once again by saying they had a team of people working on this for the past year instead of focusing on the actual product. They didn't even plan on handling their core product despite what was going on at the forum. In fact, it seems they are going out of their way to display exactly how few f#$%s they give about user feedback. Even if they add two "+ +" in front of Reason, it still won't be able to go full screen, like my free web browser has been able to for what? 10 years? 15?

R12, last chance.
Yeah been waiting for an update for months and months seeing what features would be added and they hadn't even been working on any. This and the Hi-Res.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

Auryn wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I'm pretty sure that when rebirth and reason were first conceived, making money wasn't the first motivator, so this is another reductionist and dismissive view. This kind of corporate thinking continues to be a blight on our societies.
That's ridiculous.

Now, of course, there is an intrinsic motivation to make something awesome. But spending a year (or years) developing software full-time also has to come with the expectation of making money, otherwise, those programmers wouldn't be able to afford to buy food or rent, making them homeless and eventually starve to death.

Auryn

27 Jan 2021

avasopht wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Auryn wrote:
27 Jan 2021
That's ridiculous.

Now, of course, there is an intrinsic motivation to make something awesome. But spending a year (or years) developing software full-time also has to come with the expectation of making money, otherwise, those programmers wouldn't be able to afford to buy food or rent, making them homeless and eventually starve to death.
I said it wasn't the first motivator. It was obviously a motivator, but the idea that Reason Studios exists only to make money is really dismissive of the meaning of music.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-

MannequinRaces

27 Jan 2021

groggy1 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Yes, that’s one benefit of being a subscriber. I think the days of free point updates with new features are over. Bug fixes will probably be separate and I assume those would still be free including non-subscription users.

zoidkirb

27 Jan 2021

In the stream they mentioned wanting to lower the cost bar into the Reason world.
Ok fair enough but then why take away Reason Intro? It (and similarly Ableton Live Intro) are IMO the perfect introduction DAWs. Good pricing and a limited number of instruments and tracks to not overwhelm a new guy.

I could not in good conscience recommend Reason+ to a friend and get them hooked into an absurd amount of content they will think is necessary for all that money. At some point they will succumb to the sunk cost fallacy and stick forever to the expensive plan, or cancel and buy it all, or just eventually quit and walk away with nothing.

joeyluck

27 Jan 2021

Creativemind wrote:
27 Jan 2021
EdwardKiy wrote:
27 Jan 2021

That or the fact RS have pissed on their core users once again by saying they had a team of people working on this for the past year instead of focusing on the actual product. They didn't even plan on handling their core product despite what was going on at the forum. In fact, it seems they are going out of their way to display exactly how few f#$%s they give about user feedback. Even if they add two "+ +" in front of Reason, it still won't be able to go full screen, like my free web browser has been able to for what? 10 years? 15?

R12, last chance.
Yeah been waiting for an update for months and months seeing what features would be added and they hadn't even been working on any. This and the Hi-Res.
Hadn't been working on any? Graphics and features for R12 they have been working on.

Iapetus 9

27 Jan 2021

I walked away from Adobe at CS6 and subs. I can walk away from RS if they play the sub only card.

Somewhere, in the future, all this hatred gonna show up in the VCV forums when it goes commercial.
38L > 51D every time.

EdwardKiy

27 Jan 2021

avasopht wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Auryn wrote:
27 Jan 2021
That's ridiculous.

So by this logic if I'm a musician and I make terrible music, I should get paid anyway, because I have spent 10 years making terrible music and have a family to feed? Let's continue this line of thinking - why not go further and just redistribute all the wealth in the world to everyone equally, regardless of their actual input and output. There's even a word for it.

And talking about those poor Stockholm programmers starving to death - that one really cracked me up.

certifiedbeatz

27 Jan 2021

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jan 2021
certifiedbeatz wrote:
27 Jan 2021

No sorry not an argument.. but $99 the first year I believe $199 a year after to never own anything?

I watch the whole stream and still not understanding..
It is an additional OPTION lol. Access to using Reason is now more flexible.

There have been others here saying they appreciate the move so now they can afford to use Reason and all the RS REs and sound packs. It is up to the individual to choose to subscribe or buy a license. If is up to them to weigh the pros and cons of each.
Thanks for your patience

Auryn

27 Jan 2021

EdwardKiy wrote:
27 Jan 2021
So by this logic if I'm a musician and I make terrible music, I should get paid anyway, because I have spent 10 years making terrible music and have a family to feed? Let's continue this line of thinking - why not go further and just redistribute all the wealth in the world to everyone equally, regardless of their actual input and output. There's even a word for it.

And talking about those poor Stockholm programmers starving to death - that one really cracked me up.
I don't think he was advocating for socialism

but other than that if they had spent all their time working on improving the program rather than implementing new marketing ploys they would probably be doing better

• Information