Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
DougalDarkly

27 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Old/current users can still upgrade to new versions, just like always, and purchase RE's separately. This is exactly the same as always. New users can still buy Reason standalone perpetual license, just like always. So it is true. Of course there are changes now that there is a new service being offered, but the traditional purchase paths are still there.
I appreciate your input - you and the other mods have been doing an admirable (I hope paid!) job in attempting to sell RS' new angle - it's a shame you didn't read my post though... :puf_smile:

SoundObjects

27 Jan 2021

jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Loque wrote:
27 Jan 2021

Yes.
To clarify a little. You need to be online to login to Reason if you want to use all your devices you get via the subscription. But once logged in, you can of course be offline. An improved offline mode for Reason (without codemeter) is something in our plans for 2021.

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... n-offline-

It sounds a little hassle to me as I always work offline on my DAW :?
I only goes online shortly when I have to update or get a new RE.
The Universe Is Vibrating

dv8godd

27 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021
dv8godd wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Not at all interested in a subscription, and concerned at the cancellation of Suite.
If I'm reading things right, when version 12 drops, you can still upgrade via the traditional path for (presumably) $129 USD and get the new features being offered in 12 at that time.
Yeah, I assumed that I'd be able to keep the additional REs and upgrade normally. That's not at all why I have concerns over its cancellation.
- dv8godd

EnochLight

27 Jan 2021

buddard wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Maybe this is a premature assessment, but to me this sounds like the final nail in the coffin for us 3rd party RE developers.

The link to the RS shop is now hidden away in the footer on the front page, so it might as well not exist as far as RS customers are concerned, especially the newcomers.
Unless the Reason+ Companion app somehow highlights and/or lets you browse 3rd party products, the shop will probably be all tumbleweeds from now on...

And who will want to buy fixed RE licenses when they're subscribing to the host DAW?
Maybe this will cause a slight increase in RE subscriptions (if they promote them in any way, that is), but that won't provide nearly enough income to recoup the investment of developing new REs.
And when everyone has access to every Reason Studios RE and ReFill from the outset, they're not likely to buy a competing third party RE.

(Mind you, this development was not communicated in advance to any RE developer before today as far as I'm aware.)

Well, it was fun while it lasted! :?
I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. It's the official launch of a brand new product/service, so clearly they want to draw attention to it for now. I'm sure the regular RE Shop will appear again on the homepage after things die down. Also, just because R+ subscribers get all RS RE's doesn't devalue the RE's that third party devs offer - most of your catalog still offers things that simply don't come from RS.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

stp2015

27 Jan 2021

buddard wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Maybe this is a premature assessment, but to me this sounds like the final nail in the coffin for us 3rd party RE developers. The link to the RS shop is now hidden away in the footer on the front page, so it might as well not exist as far as RS customers are concerned, especially the newcomers.
Thanks for the great work you have done. Unfortunately, I agree with you. The "nothing has changed" -angle may appear to be true in terms of some superficial assessment ("you can still buy perpetual licenses"), but clearly once you go deeper you can see a lot has changed.

EnochLight

27 Jan 2021

moneykube wrote:
27 Jan 2021
EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Many new computers these days don't even come with an old fashioned USB Type-A slot.
the new computer I bought this year has them ... so... that is untrue
Just because you bought one with a Type-A slot doesn't mean they all come with one. Additionally, as said before - Ignition Key hasn't shipped with Reason for years, and is no longer (officially) supported. ..so...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

TrueStory

27 Jan 2021

KGB wrote:
26 Jan 2021
TrueStory wrote:
26 Jan 2021
If anything we should be getting a Piano Roll + which is long overdue. A complete overhaul of the piano roll allowing you to set custom scales on it would be super.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
It has to be in the next update...
Yeah in Reason 12 you will have to subscribe for a better piano roll when Reason goes full Adobe.

challism

27 Jan 2021

So for all you who don't want R+ and aren't interested in a subscription, that is fine. This product isn't for you. It never was intended for you. You can all keep using your Reason & RE licenses the same as you did before, and you can keep buying perpetual license upgrades in the future (if you so wish). Those perpetual licenses are NOT going away. Reason Studios knows that would be a devastating move for their business. This is just another option for users and another revenue stream for Reason Studios. I, for one, want them to be profitable so they can keep innovating and improving the products I love so much.

Go make some music!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Ignition Key hasn't shipped with Reason for years, and is no longer (officially) supported. ..so...
Shut up shut up shut up shut up!!!!!!!!
😂😂😂
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Aosta

27 Jan 2021

Been a user since V6 and I am not interested in a subscription model whatsoever.
Don't need access to ALL the REs because if I really like a RE I trial it and buy it.
Don't need weekly 'soundpacks' because I have refills and samples stuffing my hard drive already and more will just create more clutter.
I also don't like being strong armed into subbing for future version updates.

I predict Reason+ will fall flat on it's arse.

RS dropped the pooch on this one.
Tend the flame

QVprod

27 Jan 2021

DougalDarkly wrote:
27 Jan 2021
The 'headline' from RS and some forum users is 'nothing has changed, just more options added' - this is not true - some things have clearly changed.

There is now a definitive difference between an 'old Reason user' and a 'new Reason user':

The old Reason user thinks sound-design is at the heart of why they use Reason - the new Reason user wants monthly 'soundpacks'.

The old Reason user buys third-party REs - the new Reason user does not.

The old Reason user cares about backwards-compatibility, and can load a song they made in previous versions (right back to Reason 1.0!) - the new user doesn't care and cannot play the song they made last night if the sub runs out today.

Put simply, there are obvious ongoing implications of the main fact that the old Reason user owns Reason - the new Reason user does not.

To put it another way, the old Reason user is 'invested' in Reason and its continued development - the new Reason is not.

At least it may finally put an end to feature requests I guess? If you don't even own the software, why would you care about its development - it's only worth what it's worth to you month-on-month right? If you decide that next month's subscription doesn't make sense you can just walk to the nearest (actually feature-updating) competitor.

To everyone saying that the next update will be the one - the one where they finally catch-up? I'll remind you again that track-folders were requested in 2008 - your faith is going from admirable to delusional at this point.

I don't think RS are lying when they say the regular update isn't leaving - but it will definitely have to cost more than a yearly sub no?

RS and anyone else can't seriously think the soundpacks are the usp? Soundpacks where the song you made with them will stop working when your sub runs out? I seriously can't think of any competing product like this - can you?

If you're a long-term Reason user and you think nothing has changed for you, then great, but things have definitely changed for me. I was looking forward to more third-party REs, particularly from devs like Noise Engineering, Robotic Bean and Lectric Panda, now I'm not.

A couple of random final thoughts - now that Codemeter is no more, replaced by Companion, will we see future Reason Cracks? Is this a hidden part of their strategy? We all know Ableton is probably the most popular DAW for many AND it's the most widely-available Crack too...

I think the biggest disappointment I'll be taking away from today is that I didn't know there were jobs going sitting around making Combinator patches!
There are a lot of misconceptions here. Indeed nothing has changed if you choose not to subscribe. When the next version releases, you buy a license like normal. The price wouldn’t go up because Reason+ includes Reason plus every RS rack extension plus a weekly supply of sound packs. Pretty much for the price of what the suite upgrade would’ve been.

Way too much emphasis is on the shop right now, I get from developers feeling their products are hidden, but it’s a new release, so that’s where their marketing focus is. I have doubts about sales being hurt, only die hard fans check the shop for new RE regularly. They’ll continue to do so. The shop url still takes you to the same place. https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/

Putting an end to feature requests? One would think that a person paying a subscription would feel far more entitled to updates as they should vs people here so have payed for an as is product.

Packs will not disappear if your subscription runs out. They’re patches in a folder on your hard drive. You’d only lose access to any REs you don’t own licenses to.
think the biggest disappointment I'll be taking away from today is that I didn't know there were jobs going sitting around making Combinator patches!
And as far as this, most if not all of the packs are made by 3rd parties.

Truly this is no different than any of the other services RS has done in the past (RE subscription, Rent to own) in the effect that you can ignore it if you’re not interested and your user experience doesn’t change.

EnochLight

27 Jan 2021

MrFigg wrote:
27 Jan 2021
EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Ignition Key hasn't shipped with Reason for years, and is no longer (officially) supported. ..so...
Shut up shut up shut up shut up!!!!!!!!
😂😂😂

DougalDarkly

27 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021
...just because R+ subscribers get all RS RE's doesn't devalue the RE's that third party devs offer...
This is starting to get annoying now - you cannot be naive enough to believe what you just wrote?

If I subscribe to Reason+, why would I buy a third-party RE?

Why would I buy an instrument/tool that stops working when the sub runs out?

Your existing argument seems to be that I should buy a regular Reason licence, and third-party REs IN ADDITION to the sub?

QVprod

27 Jan 2021

Aosta wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I also don't like being strong armed into subbing for future version updates.
You’re not. It’s completely optional. They’ve already said they don’t intend to kill perpetual licenses.

vertibration

27 Jan 2021

jamespember wrote:
27 Jan 2021
obscured08 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on this yet on the FAQ...

I am a current Reason 11 license owner. If I subscribe to Reason+ and receive a version update, say the Reason 12 update, but have to cancel my subscription at a later date, will my investment dollars into Reason+ allow me to continue using Reason 12, or do I revert to my last purchased Reason 11 perpetual licenses? Thanks!
In your example, yes you would revert to the last owned license you had. Everything you get via the subscription (Reason and REs) is yours as long as you subscribe. Everything you own today, you will own tomorrow and every other day despite what you do with Reason+. To be 100% clear - Reason+ does not touch your existing licenses at all. They don't change, they aren't removed etc. Reason+ doesn't even use a license. It's account based.
James, the companion opens at the same time as Reason, that seems a bit annoying. ....can that be fixed?

stp2015

27 Jan 2021

DougalDarkly wrote:
27 Jan 2021
EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Old/current users can still upgrade to new versions, just like always, and purchase RE's separately. This is exactly the same as always. New users can still buy Reason standalone perpetual license, just like always. So it is true. Of course there are changes now that there is a new service being offered, but the traditional purchase paths are still there.
I appreciate your input - you and the other mods have been doing an admirable (I hope paid!) job in attempting to sell RS' new angle - it's a shame you didn't read my post though... :puf_smile:
:lol: :clap: :thumbup:

ab459

27 Jan 2021

I did not picked up all thread, but have to say subscription not for me, but as i understood it will optional, so, absolutely no cares here.
UPD hope new FM will contain PX7 code as well.

Creativemind

27 Jan 2021

craste wrote:
27 Jan 2021
On the live feed later today it would be nice to see some new exciting things like the high res instruments in the rack or even some new yet unannounced stuff and especially sequencer improvements - that will really make everyone's day!

Fingers crossed!
+1
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

stp2015

27 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Also, just because R+ subscribers get all RS RE's doesn't devalue the RE's that third party devs offer [...]
:lol: :lol: :lol: Are you kidding me or yourself? :lol: :lol:

nbot

27 Jan 2021

exxx wrote:
27 Jan 2021
The funniest thing is that they are insanely cheating on users.

Since a few years ago, we have been developing tools that we haven't even requested, ignoring the features that we need.

Why did they do a survey?
Ok, confess now - who voted for subscription in the survey? :puf_bigsmile:

aftrshok99

27 Jan 2021

I wish the companion had a place to choose where you download or install all the content to. It filled up my c: drive, had to do the mklink thing and move it all.
Reason+ / Bitwig Studio 4 / NI Maschine MK3 / Novation Launchpad Mini MK3 / NI M32

cmstrike

27 Jan 2021

The subscription model is not for me, especially these days, but I certainly hope it does what they're hoping it'll do for them so we can finally get the updates and upgrades to Reason as a program that many feel are long overdue. As someone who uses Reason on the side as a hobby, I don't need access to every single RE and I have no interest in weekly sound packs. I just want the program I've used all these years to continue to develop. If that means they need to introduce an additional business model, that's fine. My fear is that the days of buying software licenses outright are numbered. All it takes is one company to eliminate perpetual licenses before others follow suit. Netflix is fine for a subscription because I don't need to own everything I watch. Creative software, to me, is quite different, and I'll likely never be on board with the subscription model (at least one that's not rent-to-own). Just my perspective as a Reason user since version 3, and as someone whose income was drastically impacted by the pandemic.

Lotuz2019

27 Jan 2021

Loud_Silence wrote:
27 Jan 2021
What does that mean for Reason Intro, now that it's discontinued? Is it possible that after a future update of Windows I won't be able to use it anymore? Should I start saving money to purchase a full Reason license?
Your license won't disappear, so you'll still be able to use it. There just won't be a new version of Intro. Which is unfortunate, because not everyone wants to upgrade to the full version. The full version doesn't offer me enough to justify the upgrade price. I just would like Intro to have a larger GUI.

TrueStory

27 Jan 2021

That sucks for newcomers that Reason Suite is gone and replaced by Reason +. Looks like the shop is still there if you scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen but they should have left it at the top.

I'm glad I jumped on the Black Friday upgrade sale. No way would I subscribe to this + nonsense. Reason is definitely taking a turn for the worst with this subscription crap. Though if nothing changes with as far as having the option to still buy players and RE's I guess that's not too bad for now until Reason goes full Adobe. If that happens Reason 11 will become the new Reason 5 / Adobe Audition 3.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

12 (or whatever) then stop for me. All good.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information