Reason updates (11.3.7 / 11.3.8) and Reason+

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you try or subscribe to Reason+?

No, I won’t even try it
74%
I will try it, but the subscription is not for me
10%
I will try it and consider subscribing
8%
I will likely subscribe monthly
2%
I will likely subscribe annually
6%

Total votes: 497
earwig83

27 Jan 2021

People here protecting Reason Studios like all the chumps protecting Cyberpunk and CDPR. These companies are not our friends and they are all just like Adobe. Greedy and only interested in money, not the product that makes it.

When that venture capital guy came in, we all knew this would happen. And we were poo-pooed.

Plus look at Native Instruments, they are about to do the same. They all sold out and likely to follow with some sort of uncomfortable sub paradigm.

Mac dropping support for old software every ten minutes will lead to a lot of people eventually being forced into this sub scenario. Sad days, if you ask me.

yahsmith

27 Jan 2021

People you need to calm down reason is not going to be a full subscription only product. There is no DAW on the market that is a completely subscription based product.. There are too many daws in the market for reason to take way that option...its just another Option...Unlike Adobe Which pretty much had no competition and was able to force it (Affinity making some waves) ....reason cant

chaosroyale

27 Jan 2021

Thanks for the info. OK, that's not too bad - although one device only....it means I can't use Reason across a variety of portable/desktop PCs any more when traveling...hmm.
Ottostrom wrote:
27 Jan 2021
chaosroyale wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Please let me know if you get the answer to this. Online-only authorization is a big no-no for me, I sometimes might be working in the mountains or a forest or something. I will not be updating until a few of these questions are sorted out clearly.

This is what Mattias wrote in a new thread about ignition key not being supported anymore:

"You can still authorize your Reason license on one computer (being a single user license) for offline use even under new Macs. What's not supported is specifically the USB Ignition Key. The hardware key is discontinued and we haven't shipped that with Reason in years. Many new computers don't even have traditional USB ports, so it was high time to move to a purely digital solution that also saves on the environment."

sdst
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2021

what I see is that this is mostly for new users

not much to see, only wait for Reason 12 hi-res

mytuba

27 Jan 2021

Well, as a self-described "career lurker", at least you've had time to soak in all of the awesomeness. :D
[/quote]

No disrespect intended to anyone, honestly. I don’t have to spend time on the internet because all of you lovely people have already asked and answered all my questions. Got sucked into reading this to get info on the latest update to Reason.

EnochLight

27 Jan 2021

earwig83 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
People here protecting Reason Studios like all the chumps protecting Cyberpunk and CDPR. These companies are not our friends and they are all just like Adobe. Greedy and only interested in money, not the product that makes it.

When that venture capital guy came in, we all knew this would happen. And we were poo-pooed.

Plus look at Native Instruments, they are about to do the same. They all sold out and likely to follow with some sort of uncomfortable sub paradigm.

Mac dropping support for old software every ten minutes will lead to a lot of people eventually being forced into this sub scenario. Sad days, if you ask me.
sdst wrote:
27 Jan 2021
what I see is that this is mostly for new users

not much to see, only wait for Reason 12 hi-res
^^ THIS ^^
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

lowtom

27 Jan 2021

earwig83 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Sad days, if you ask me.
Unfortunately, welcome to 21st century and capitalism.

Looking ahead?
Free, open source systems, Raspberry Pi's, Arduinos, VCV rack, Algoraves, SuperCollider.
Kiss the future man! :puf_bigsmile:
Last edited by lowtom on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: :refill: :re:

arqui

27 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2021
chaosroyale wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Please let me know if you get the answer to this. Online-only authorization is a big no-no for me, I sometimes might be working in the mountains or a forest or something. I will not be updating until a few of these questions are sorted out clearly.

The answer is YES. If you purchase a traditional "forever license" upgrade for $129 USD, or the full-version of Reason 11 for $399 USD, then you can authorize for offline use just like always. That said, if every other subscription model is to be used as an example, even Reason+ subscribers will eventually be able to authorize for offline use.
Reason+ only supports online login to Reason. Once logged in you can continue to use Reason offline until you close the program. Note, though, that opening a previously saved song again will also require you to be online.
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

miscend

27 Jan 2021

Kypresso wrote:
27 Jan 2021
miscend wrote:
27 Jan 2021

A made up shit storm? We knew subscriptions were coming eventually and we knew they would be optional.
No, some people feared it would turn to a subscription after the vulture capitalists got involved but hoped to be proved wrong and yet here it is.

the next logical step is that sometime not too far away, the permanent upgrade option will disappear and it will be subscription only. Thats the funding model companies wet dreams are made from.

So why wait, i'm getting off of reason studios treadmill as i hate paying for things i dont own that i can lose at moments notice.
Right. So you're quitting Reason now because you fear that in the future there will be no permanent upgrade options apart from the subscription. Even though RS have said perpetual purchases and upgrades are not going away.

In my opinion when you purchase software, you're paying for what you get at the time of purchase. If things change ten years in the future that has no bearing on my purchase decisions in the present. For all we know there could be another pandemic that wipes out half the world population or even a major war before perpetual purchases are removed from the shop.

craste

27 Jan 2021

On the live feed later today it would be nice to see some new exciting things like the high res instruments in the rack or even some new yet unannounced stuff and especially sequencer improvements - that will really make everyone's day!

Fingers crossed!

JunctionArsonist

27 Jan 2021

Certainly expected by many so not a suprise. RRP was probably a boon for sales, and R+ is just marketing 101: sell the same product to different people for different amounts.

What i did hope to see was a hi-res reskin as a good-faith point release and not as R12. Wishful thinking for sure, but I feel the same burn as a lot of others who have supported RS for so long.

Skimrok

27 Jan 2021

mytuba wrote:
27 Jan 2021
What a wonderful and hilarious read. Does no one here have a job? Are you all blind to the decisions people have had to make to actually keep human beings employed and happy doing their job?

I’m not a fan of spending time on the internet but I am a fan of making music. I am 100% excited for this. I will be cancelling Splice, which I struggle to integrate into my setup.

I’d like to hear some stories from you guys about how much you sacrifice your own way of life and employees to satisfy the demands of 12 people that have been loyal customers for 10 years.
you obviously haven't heard what Is going on in the world with a lot of people not able to work because of it , congtats on being on the moon don't come down soon you might be shocked , houston we have a problem :lol:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

ShelLuser

27 Jan 2021

seqoi wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Also it seems Reason 11 can not be trialed anymore. Whenever anyone click on 30 day trial - redirection to subscription page.
This seems to be a correct conclusion. I found the Reason product page on their (now hidden) shop and we'll...

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/product/reason-11/

... As you can see there are 2 options: buy the product or give Reason+ a try. Ergo, the one month free subscription period has become the official trial. I didn't bother to try and provide an email address but I guess you do need a valid payment method before you can trial it.
--- :reason:

ltbrunt00

27 Jan 2021

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Nothing changes if you don't want to use R+. I for one will always trial then purchase and purchase the yearly upgrade. I hope this works out giving them new revenue strings to help keep them to keep advancing the core product.

If anyone has used East/West composer cloud this is not much different than that other than EastWest - Quantum Leap grossly over prices their devices forcing you to use CC if you want to be able to use their tools. Anything that helps the core product improves(mo-money) is a winner in my book.

I was hoping R+ was going to be R12 rebranded since it wasn't that I rather have them continue working on making R12 the best they can.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

pongasoft
RE Developer

27 Jan 2021

From the FAQ: "Currently Reason+ subscribers cannot purchase Rack Extension licenses"

So does it mean that if you even try Reason+, you can't use RE anymore?

earwig83

27 Jan 2021

Again, to the people who reply with corporate protectionist tones of positivity. Really re-think about the free PR work you do for a company that is now only interested in separating us from our money now. The burying of the shop is the most hostile thing to come of this whole ordeal. The venture capital investment was always a hostile take over.

If you all want to live in corporate feudalism, be my guests. I haven't decided yet, myself. I for one believe all software should run in perpetuity. That was the whole benefit of computers in the first place, that something could theoretically run forever.

Reason Studios should have made the subscription for entire RE bundle and sound bank access and kept software as a separate license or at least rent to own. They still do for the moment, but for how long? This model is purposely predatory because they will yank the perpetual license option when they wedge us with a scalable UI offering in R12. I hope I am dead wrong, of course!

It is actually disrespectful to the people who sank money, time and effort into building and investing in their proprietary RE platform. Only to get shafted when they implemented VST because they decided they needed the market access. I being one of them.

plasticfractal

27 Jan 2021

vertibration wrote:
27 Jan 2021
They should have waited till the end of the year when Hi Rez was available and other upgrades. Releasing it now just pisses people off because they likely dont see value in moving to a subscription model. Waiting until the end of the year when the updates were ready, offers a choice for people who would have to pay to upgrade to Reason 12 anyway (or now its Reason +)

This was a bad decision for Reason Studios to do the subscription right now, it would have been less of a backlash if they waited
I agree. By announcing this by itself, it gives the impression that this is the next big update for Reason instead of a traditional feature and version update. They have clarified in a blog post that a version update is coming later this year, but I think the PR damage is done, unfortunately. I would have advised rolling the subscription announcement out alongside news of a version update so people would be clear that the daw features are still a priority. Even if the version update isn't ready yet, a concrete announcement of r12 features/fixes/improvements would have gotten a much better reception than just a subscription announcement alone. The R+ solo announcement adds to the sentiment that the company prioritizes content over DAW functionality. I am eager to see the R12 notes. It's not too late, they can open their livestream with a discussion of upcoming R12 notes and that would go a long way in getting people to chill out.

earwig83

27 Jan 2021

miscend wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Kypresso wrote:
27 Jan 2021

No, some people feared it would turn to a subscription after the vulture capitalists got involved but hoped to be proved wrong and yet here it is.

the next logical step is that sometime not too far away, the permanent upgrade option will disappear and it will be subscription only. Thats the funding model companies wet dreams are made from.

So why wait, i'm getting off of reason studios treadmill as i hate paying for things i dont own that i can lose at moments notice.
Right. So you're quitting Reason now because you fear that in the future there will be no permanent upgrade options apart from the subscription. Even though RS have said perpetual purchases and upgrades are not going away.

In my opinion when you purchase software, you're paying for what you get at the time of purchase. If things change ten years in the future that has no bearing on my purchase decisions in the present. For all we know there could be another pandemic that wipes out half the world population or even a major war before perpetual purchases are removed from the shop.

See I tend to feel differently. When I buy hardware, I am responsible for keeping it working. And can do so for 20 years if I am careful. Can't do that with software updates, especially when companies purposely stop supporting. Or when annoying Apple decides to drop support on a whim. Software is a scam.

jamespember
Reason Studios

27 Jan 2021

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I'm curious about the subscription soundpacks, maybe someone can clear this up. If I make a bunch of songs employing these packs and then opt out of the subscription will those sounds used in my songs be deactivated? This would be a major turnoff having a body of work that's dependent on a constant subscription service.

Also, I'm hoping that R12 really knocks it out of the park or you're going to see a lot of long time users jumping ship. There's a lot of resentment basically everywhere I look online over this decision. Wish you guys luck though.
All the patches that you install from Reason+ packs live on your disk forever, they aren't removed or locked if you unsubscribe. Yours to keep! That said, if the patches use devices you don't have, then you'll get some missing cardboard boxes. But that's always the case with sharing patches I guess?

aftrshok99

27 Jan 2021

Not sure why everyone keeps saying that the shop is buried. Yes it's not at the top of the page but it's not hard to scroll to the bottom and click on shop. Looks and works just like it always has, still shows what 3rd party RE's I have subscribed to.
Reason+ / Bitwig Studio 4 / NI Maschine MK3 / Novation Launchpad Mini MK3 / NI M32

Reasonable man

27 Jan 2021

With a title like Reason + ...how can that possibly be good neews for us ..the users?

Plese dont put the ceo on the livestream ..keep the livestram excusilvly for music people

jamespember
Reason Studios

27 Jan 2021

seqoi wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Hey James! Very interesting that you "missed" my question.

How one can trial R11 standalone?

AFAIK it is impossible to Trial Reason 11. Whenever I click in Reason 11 trial it redirect me to Reason + Subscription page account creation. Why?

1. Does this mean general public can not trial standalone Reason (not +) anymore?
2. Do you ask for CC details in order for people to Trial R11? Asking because when we clicked Reason 11 trials it says - 30 days free, cancel anytime. ?!?!?? Why would user need to cancel Trial if no Credit Card data is asked for?
Hi there! I'm sorry, I did not mean to miss anything, but please bear with me if you can. There are like 30 pages of comments here and I'm trying very hard to balance responding and keeping tabs on this thread whilst also working on a new Companion release and helping out support with the thousands of new R+ trials we are onboarding today. I do want to respond, so please remind me like this if I miss something important!!!

1. There is no more R11 standalone trial. It was replaced with the R+ trial.
2. Yes that means the only trial we offer is R+, which gives you an even better experience. You get Reason 11 which you can try for 30 days BUT in addition you get all the REs and the sound packs. And you dont need to enter a credit card and it does not auto renew if you do not enter a credit card. So we think its a much better trial for Reason!
3. The cancel anytime refers to that you can cancel your subscription anytime, once you go beyond the trial!

Creativemind

27 Jan 2021

Billy+ wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Creativemind wrote:
27 Jan 2021

:thumbs_up:
Thought you would like that, would be nice to see if included before the next major upgrade but I doubt it's going to happen
Yeah. I would like to know if we're getting another workflow feature point update before 12. I was expecting the Hi-Res to be in an 11.5 update but apparently not. Will we see an 11.5 say in a month or so? if not, 11 was a very lacklustre update feature-wise.

Also, I'd like to ask Mattias, are we gonna see things finished off:-

Themes haven't been finished (add more - black, silver, mauve), allow them to be applied without having to restart Reason and allow them to affect the Main Mixer.

Bounce In Place hasn't been finished off (Merge Clips, Mono Bounce Option).

Browser not finished - allow both browsers to sync together, add audio wave display (with pitch shift, tempo match, live snapping, reversing, bpm display, route to a track to audition them with effects) and being able to play or loop from anywhere to anywhere in the waveform, being able to add tags for searching and branch searching and a refresh button for folders (all newly added files show up in a different colour than the other files), midi auditioning in the browser too (plays with the patch of whatever track you have selected).

Have these things been ticked off as done because that's what it feels like?
Last edited by Creativemind on 27 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Nielsen

27 Jan 2021

aftrshok99 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
Not sure why everyone keeps saying that the shop is buried. Yes it's not at the top of the page but it's not hard to scroll to the bottom and click on shop. Looks and works just like it always has, still shows what 3rd party RE's I have subscribed to.
I wouldn't be surprised if the shop link returns into plain sight once the Reason+ dust has settled somewhat.

Loque

27 Jan 2021

Nielsen wrote:
27 Jan 2021
aftrshok99 wrote:
27 Jan 2021
I wouldn't be surprised if the shop link returns into plain sight once the Reason+ dust has settled somewhat.
Probably this, since RS earns a lot of money with RE too.
Reason12, Win10

• Information