Are all synths in Reason slow in changing presets?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
samsome
Posts: 338
Joined: 18 Dec 2015

Post 20 Jan 2021

Are all STOCK synths in Reason slow in changing presets?

I mean nothing comes close to comparing to the speed of sylenth1 right? when changing presets........

isn't this like very demotivating? waiting like 1-2 seconds for each preset?

please let me know ur thoughts

thanks

User avatar
mcatalao
Posts: 1398
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 20 Jan 2021

I don't have delays in changing presets in Reason Synths, so most synths load in less than 1 sec. For example, loading a preset by drag and drop on Europa, is fast. Faster than 1 sec. Same for most of the core synths, and I'm testing on a Microsoft Surface which is a slow machine compared to my studio's machine.

The slower device is probably NN-XT, but that depends a lot on the patch you're working with. The reason for NN-XT being slower than synths is that it has to load its samples into memory. And the more complex is the sound (nn-xt is a multi velocity layer sample, so some sounds can be huge), more memory it loads and more time it takes. But the time it takes to load is compensated by the quality of the sounds and very low CPU usage.

Another thing you have to consider, combinators will take the sum of all devices inside. So if you have a great sounding combinator with 10 nn-xt's (for example a Reason Drum Kit from the refill) it will take a lot of time to load, and you have to consider the method how these were created (multiple velocities for each drum, recorded with multiple mics). These are HUGE refills, all NN-XT. Account also for the complexity of cable routings between devices, may it be audio or CV.

Anyway, tbh... What is one second?

samsome
Posts: 338
Joined: 18 Dec 2015

Post 20 Jan 2021

trying to find the right sound sometimes is frustrating enough so each 1-2 seconds it adds up

have u tried sylenth1?

User avatar
esselfortium
Posts: 1401
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 20 Jan 2021

Synths load patches pretty quick for me, but Combinators are slow to browse through. It'd be nice if there was some way it could recognize when a combi patch is mostly identical to the previously-loaded one and just has a different Thor patch inside it (or whatever), so it could avoid having to reload its entire contents every time.

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1293
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 20 Jan 2021

No problems here. Are you out of cpu?
R11 Suite

deeplink
Posts: 226
Joined: 08 Jul 2020
Location: Dubai

Post 20 Jan 2021

I've always compared Reason's patch changing to say that of Slylenth - which is instanteous, whereas Reason seems to idle for a bit.

User avatar
Jagwah
Posts: 1835
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 21 Jan 2021

I have an Alligator patch I use a lot, it was in a folder full of lots of things on my desktop and Reason would freeze while it scanned the contents of that folder when I tried to access it, I put it in a folder by itself and the issue stopped and the patch loads instantly from my favourites section in the Reason browser. Patches can be a bit slow but once I'm in the right folder it's fine.

samsome
Posts: 338
Joined: 18 Dec 2015

Post 21 Jan 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
20 Jan 2021
No problems here. Are you out of cpu?
hey have u compared it with sylenth1? when you say no problems maybe u have the patience to just wait 1-2 seconds, but some synths like sylenth1 are instantly changing their sounds

my laptop is pretty ok.......corei7 8th Gen

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2232
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 21 Jan 2021

No problems here.
You should tell us the synths you are using causing you the most grievance. A combinator is slower to load than a patch for Substractor, imho.



(I remember that 3D rendering in your thumbnail, Mr Woody :puf_smile: )

User avatar
Noise
Posts: 249
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 21 Jan 2021

I9 9900K overclocked to 4.5hz
DDR4 3200MHZ

( manual measurement, seconds, not inside combis )
Massive X: 00.77 ~ 01.00
Europa : 00.80 ~ 01.00
Monotone: 00.80 ~ 01.00
Spire 1.5 VST: ~ 00.20 (almost instant)
Diva VST: ~ 00.20 (almost instant)

The vst are in a 7200rpm disk, and the ReExtensions in SSD.
Yup, maybe when you change presets in RExtensions, it's asking for the codemeter to send statistics (conspiracy)

This is a very bad test, but, yes, there is a 1 second delay between presets, but to be fair, I spend more time after is loaded, trying them out.
But I understand, we want snappy things and we are spoiled by good vst coding.

User avatar
EpiGenetik
Posts: 377
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: Glasgow, EU

Post 21 Jan 2021

samsome wrote:
20 Jan 2021
Are all STOCK synths in Reason slow in changing presets?
waiting like 1-2 seconds for each preset?
None of the true synths take anywhere near that long. On a decent spec machine without masses of optimization and without overclocking it's like 0.3-0.4s per load. That's "true" synths though like Thor / Monotone / Malstrom / Subtractor. Synths which are based on sample content are an entirely different matter and depend on multiple hardware factors.

fullforce
Posts: 337
Joined: 18 Aug 2018

Post 21 Jan 2021

samsome wrote:
20 Jan 2021
Are all STOCK synths in Reason slow in changing presets?

I mean nothing comes close to comparing to the speed of sylenth1 right? when changing presets........

isn't this like very demotivating? waiting like 1-2 seconds for each preset?

please let me know ur thoughts

thanks
You have some sort of dinosaur harddisk?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1293
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 21 Jan 2021

fullforce wrote:
21 Jan 2021
samsome wrote:
20 Jan 2021
Are all STOCK synths in Reason slow in changing presets?

I mean nothing comes close to comparing to the speed of sylenth1 right? when changing presets........

isn't this like very demotivating? waiting like 1-2 seconds for each preset?

please let me know ur thoughts

thanks
You have some sort of dinosaur harddisk?
lol : )

Image
R11 Suite

fullforce
Posts: 337
Joined: 18 Aug 2018

Post 22 Jan 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
21 Jan 2021
fullforce wrote:
21 Jan 2021


You have some sort of dinosaur harddisk?
lol : )

Image
Not the mama!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
SynthRatings
Posts: 41
Joined: 06 Sep 2018

Post 23 Jan 2021

Yes, they are all pretty slow compared to VSTs.

Some devices are slower than others, the Combinator and any samplers of course being the slowest, but even Europa and Subtractor are slower than VSTs like Synthmaster, DUNE, Spire etc (not just the relatively simple Sylenth1).

The more I use VSTs, the more this annoys me when I pull a Reason device into the rack :puf_unhappy:
I publish ratings of VST and RE instruments on a dedicated YouTube channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/SynthRatings

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Trendiction [Bot] and 3 guests