When is the 0.5 update?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

20 Jan 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
19 Jan 2021
Creativemind wrote:
19 Jan 2021

No I was saying they're not in the midi editor in Reason. I don't see them? I saw them as automation lanes though in the track automation dropdown.

Yes they should be in the midi editor.
Ah Roger that!
In the editor to the top right there's some (tiny) icons that have expandable drop down menus. One of them is what type of editor (drum, midi...and something else)
And the other is your show CC lanes.
Oh so it is. Just seen that. It's Drums, Midi and Rex but the other one where the pitch bend etc is, is just another way of accessing the automation lanes the same as you can with the automation icon above the track panel. It isn't a CC lane though, it's an automation lane.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

EnochLight

20 Jan 2021

Creativemind wrote:
19 Jan 2021
Considering it's [Reaper] 6yrs younger than Reason (2006) it's 5 versions ahead in terms of functionality with only 2 coders.
To be completely fair, this is VERY disingenuous. Reaper always started out as a stand-alone DAW only from the very start, had NO stock sounds, instruments or effects, and didn’t even address the same customer base as Reason.

From the very start, Reason was specifically a collection of instruments and effects - which are arguably far more difficult and time consuming to create - with a sequencer tacked on as an afterthought. It didn’t enter the true standalone DAW world until Reason 6.5 - which was 2012 (Record and Reason 5 not withstanding), and if we’re being truly fair - not until VST support came which was 2017 and 9.5.

And before everyone says “yeah but Studio One has baked in instruments and effects!” - PreSonus is arguably a far larger company with far deeper pockets and far greater resources, and frankly - its stock sounds, instruments and effects don’t hold a candle to what comes with Reason. There - I said it! ;)

I completely agree Reaper is far superior when it comes to being a DAW sequencer first and foremost - but even to this day - its stock sounds, built in instruments and effects - ARE LAUGHABLE compared to Reason 11.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

gbuck

20 Jan 2021

I am a working singer/guitarist (yes it's tough singing with a mask) and I use a DAW for manipulating audio and midi. I have Reason 11S, Cakewalk, Mixcraft, Reaper, Studio One, Cubase 11, Ableton Live 10, Waveform, Sampltude and oh, yes Band in a Box 2021. While each one has it's uses Reason is the best and Cakewalk second for my routine. I can import midi file into either of these two and it loads and immediately playable. Can't do that in the others without a lot of extra pita steps (except Mixcraft). I've been around since Master Tracks Pro, Cakewalk Pro Audio 1 and Reason 1. There is nothing wrong with using and combining different platforms to get the job done.

Creativemind

21 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
20 Jan 2021
Creativemind wrote:
19 Jan 2021
Considering it's [Reaper] 6yrs younger than Reason (2006) it's 5 versions ahead in terms of functionality with only 2 coders.
To be completely fair, this is VERY disingenuous. Reaper always started out as a stand-alone DAW only from the very start, had NO stock sounds, instruments or effects, and didn’t even address the same customer base as Reason.

From the very start, Reason was specifically a collection of instruments and effects - which are arguably far more difficult and time consuming to create - with a sequencer tacked on as an afterthought. It didn’t enter the true standalone DAW world until Reason 6.5 - which was 2012 (Record and Reason 5 not withstanding), and if we’re being truly fair - not until VST support came which was 2017 and 9.5.

And before everyone says “yeah but Studio One has baked in instruments and effects!” - PreSonus is arguably a far larger company with far deeper pockets and far greater resources, and frankly - its stock sounds, instruments and effects don’t hold a candle to what comes with Reason. There - I said it! ;)

I completely agree Reaper is far superior when it comes to being a DAW sequencer first and foremost - but even to this day - its stock sounds, built in instruments and effects - ARE LAUGHABLE compared to Reason 11.
You're right Reaper's stock plug-ins / sounds aren't anywhere near Reasons (although some plug-ins are great) but there is the ability for people to make their own (JS Plug-Ins) which as I said earlier, there's a fantastic Pro Q2/3 emulation someone has made for it and it's really is top drawer.

Still can't get away from the fact that Reason goes at snails pace and must have more coders than Reapers 2 surely?

Although, this is the new journey for Reason now with it now being Reason Studio's and maybe we'll see a different speed / approach who knows. I think Reason 12 will be telling.

EnochLight

21 Jan 2021

Creativemind wrote:
21 Jan 2021
Still can't get away from the fact that Reason goes at snails pace and must have more coders than Reapers 2 surely?

Although, this is the new journey for Reason now with it now being Reason Studio's and maybe we'll see a different speed / approach who knows. I think Reason 12 will be telling.
Sure, Propellerhead/Reason Studios have a lot more coders than Cockos, but for most of Reaper's early existence those 2 coders at Cockos only needed to focus on the sequencer - and that's it. Even at its launch over 2 decades ago ( :shock: :o :? ), Reason was far more complex as it was a collection of plugins and a sound library. Developing plugins - instruments, effects, utilities - is just a far more complex process. Talk to any VST or RE dev that has made a well thought out synth or effect - even bringing one single product to market is a lengthy process.

Now multiply that by the dozens upon dozens that were in stock Reason up until 6.0-6.5 (and that's not even taking into consideration the time and effort that went into developing the RE SDK and infrastructure, and of course the failed attempts at diversifying their products with hardware and other services). I'm not making excuses - I just see Reason Studios in a completely different arena than Cockos, whose sole thing is still really just a stock DAW. I'm not saying what Cockos did (does) is easy by any stretch - I know they are loved and respected by a lot of users.

I even tried my hand at using Reaper for years. :thumbs_up: Never could get into it, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Creativemind

21 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote: Sure, Propellerhead/Reason Studios have a lot more coders than Cockos, but for most of Reaper's early existence those 2 coders at Cockos only needed to focus on the sequencer - and that's it. Even at its launch over 2 decades ago ( :shock: :o :? ), Reason was far more complex as it was a collection of plugins and a sound library. Developing plugins - instruments, effects, utilities - is just a far more complex process. Talk to any VST or RE dev that has made a well thought out synth or effect - even bringing one single product to market is a lengthy process.

Now multiply that by the dozens upon dozens that were in stock Reason up until 6.0-6.5 (and that's not even taking into consideration the time and effort that went into developing the RE SDK and infrastructure, and of course the failed attempts at diversifying their products with hardware and other services). I'm not making excuses - I just see Reason Studios in a completely different arena than Cockos, whose sole thing is still really just a stock DAW. I'm not saying what Cockos did (does) is easy by any stretch - I know they are loved and respected by a lot of users.

I even tried my hand at using Reaper for years. :thumbs_up: Never could get into it, though.
Yeah Reaper is initially slow to get your head around but perseverance is what got me there. Took me about 6 months (but I waited from 2012 till 2019 to mute a midi note in Reason and still waiting for a good dozen more midi editing) so I thought with the arrival of the Rack Plug-In, just best go for it, the sooner I start, the sooner I can get the hang of it. Bit by bit, I started to learn more and more about it and realised virtually anything is possible in Reaper. I've only got a few features I'm wanting in it now, everthing else I've found or you can find a script for it online. People say it's like an excell spreadsheet but once you know where everything is, I can navigate to anywhere quite quickly and every menu has a shortcut (I think).

I think some shortfalls in Reason though are design decisions. Like I contacted Reason about 4 years ago about the graphics in clips in the sequencer. I had a 16th row of hi-hats stretching the whole clip and then on the chorus it changes to an open hat. The hats didn't line up graphically in the sequencer on differernt clips and looked wrong. For a moment it mislead me into thinking I had the midi on the wrong rows but they weren't. I was told it was behaving as designed. There are graphical ratio differences depending on the amount of lanes / rows of midi information in the clip as they're displayed in the sequencer. I checked FL Studio at the time and noticed it behaves similarly in that too but doesn't make you think rows of notes of the same drum are on different rows. I have used Logic, Ableton, Cakewalk By Bandlab and obviously Reaper too and never had the same issue. Then there's the design decisions of the sequencer behaviour and still have no idea what 0-127 relate to on some parameters (and later devices do have proper readings) and it's not midi or if it is there's no relevance to the actual parameter you're altering. I don't think it will ever be changed either because I think it might not be backwards compatible unless the 0-127 mathematically equates (say it was filter cut-off) to 20Hz-20kHz. If it wasn't designed with that in mind, they couldn't just change it and the readings be the same in your old projects when the cut-off was at the same level if that makes sense.

• Information