In the market for a new MIDI controller

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
utdgrant

Post 08 Jan 2021

I'm currently in the market for a new MIDI controller keyboard for use with Reason. Currently, I own an Alesis QX49 (4-oct, 8 sliders, 8 knobs) and an Arturia Minibrute (2-oct with aftertouch). I use the QX49 the vast majority of the time, mainly because of the span and the number of MIDI Continuous Controllers I can assign to tweak parameters in real time. However, I DO like to use aftertouch (which the QX49 lacks), especially when playing Arturia V Collection instruments like the CS-80 V, so in those situations I use the Minibrute. I'm not looking for poly/key aftertouch, as my keyboard chops aren't that great (and I don't think any Reason devices can process it), but mono aftertouch/MIDI channel pressure is a "must have" for my next keyboard.

The QX49 isn't recognised as a supported controller by Reason, but it's not too much hassle to assign the knobs and sliders to parameters on devices.
So, my first question is: Is there any great advantage in using an OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED controller over a generic one?

Secondly: Do any of you use a controller with full-size keys, at least four octaves, at least 16 knobs / sliders and with aftertouch? Based on your experience with it, would you recommend it or advise against it?

Thirdly: Do the Reason internal devices play nicely with incremental 'infinite' knobs or am I better sticking to absolute controllers? I don't have much preference either way.

Thanks in advance, Grant.
Grant Middleton (records as "Under the Dome")

:reason: 11 Intro, Windows 10, 64-bit

Personal Website

YouTube channel

Billy+

Post 08 Jan 2021

I love my P6

https://nektartech.com/panorama-p4-p6/

https://nektartech.com/reason/
IMG_2373.JPG
SPECIFICATIONS
Keyboard
• 49 or 61 note semi-weighted, velocity-sensitive
• keyboard w/aftertouch
• 5 velocity curves plus fixed
• Pitch bend & Modulation assignable wheels
• Octave shift buttons
• PB1/2 buttons
• 4 keyboard zones programmable with controller filters and program changes
• 5 keyboard maps store all settings
Preset Controls
• 16 encoders
• 9 45mm faders
• 10 assignable LED buttons
• 11 dedicated transport buttons
• 20 preset locations store all settings including links to keyboard, pad and F-keys maps
Pads
• 12 pads with velocity and pressure sensitivity
• 7 velocity curves
• Note-learn,
• Scale mode with 30+ scales and interval setting
• Velocity spread functions spreads the selected pad assignment over all 12 pads, at different velocity levels
• Transpose and Octave shift in both pad-map and scale mode
• Pads freely assignable in Reason mode
• Load or Save to any of 20 pad maps
F-keys
• 11 assignable Function Keys (accessible using shift and transport keys)
• Load or Save to any of 10 F-Keys maps
• F-Keys assignable even in 3 Reason modes

System Requirements
USB Class compliant, no driver is needed for:
Apple iOS, Apple OSX
Windows XP, or higher
Linux (MIDI driver software required)
Nektar DAW Integration
Mac OS X 10.7 or higher
Windows Vista, 7 & 8 or higher
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Billy+ on 08 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

utdgrant

Post 08 Jan 2021

That looks awesome! I do like a semi-weighted action - I miss my old Ensoniq ESQ-1 for that.

Thanks for the reply. :thumbs_up:
Grant Middleton (records as "Under the Dome")

:reason: 11 Intro, Windows 10, 64-bit

Personal Website

YouTube channel

Billy+

Post 08 Jan 2021

No worries, have a good read about it at the URL above it integrates nicely with Reason, and a lot of people have built quite a large collection of remote maps for it as well.

• Information