Create generic unassigned MIDI track?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
doctorvague

04 Jan 2021

(Coming from Digital Performer)
When recording an external synth audio track, I also like to record a MIDI track at the same time just in case I want to double the track later, or replace/edit the sound, etc. It seems like a simple function, but I can't figure out how to just create a generic unassigned (for now) MIDI track in Reason.

antic604

04 Jan 2021

doctorvague wrote:
04 Jan 2021
When recording an external synth audio track, I also like to record a MIDI track at the same time just in case I want to double the track later, or replace/edit the sound, etc. It seems like a simple function, but I can't figure out how to just create a generic unassigned (for now) MIDI track in Reason.
I think dragging in a MIDI Out device should create a track that can record incoming MIDI and send it to your synth. Would that work?

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... s/midi-out

There's no "MIDI tracks" like in DP, Cubase or Studio One in Reason.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

doctorvague

04 Jan 2021

antic604 wrote:
04 Jan 2021
doctorvague wrote:
04 Jan 2021
I think dragging in a MIDI Out device should create a track that can record incoming MIDI and send it to your synth. Would that work?

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... s/midi-out

There's no "MIDI tracks" like in DP, Cubase or Studio One in Reason.
Thanks for your reply. I'm not trying to send MIDI to an external device, just record into Reason as a safety track, basically.
Unless I'm missing something, It appears there's no way to do what I want in Reason, other than creating a "dummy device" in order to create a MIDI track. Seems really strange to me, but every DAW has its quirks, I guess.

antic604

04 Jan 2021

doctorvague wrote:
04 Jan 2021
Thanks for your reply. I'm not trying to send MIDI to an external device, just record into Reason as a safety track, basically.
I know you don't want to send MIDI out, but that's the only way I know of to create a MIDI track that doesn't have an "instrument" on it. You can look at it as an empty MIDI track with input set to your synth and output - via MIDI Out device - set to nowhere. I believe MIDI tracks in Cubase, DP or Studio One also have input & output? Here the difference is the output is in a form of device.

I wouldn't say it's a "quirk". It's a consequence of Reason's "virtual hardware studio" paradigm - in a real studio a sequencer also has to be a device of some sort :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

doctorvague

04 Jan 2021

Thanks for that info. That's what I thought, but the confirmation is helpful!

selig
RE Developer

04 Jan 2021

Thing is, if you want to send it out at a later date you need the MIDI device - so why not just add it from the start and you're good to go! I take it a step further because of how I've worked with MIDI since the middle 1980s, which is to record THROUGH the sequencer so there are no surprises and a quicker (for me) workflow.

That is to say, if there was no device then the MIDI data would be useless, no? Again, to make any MIDI data actually useful, there HAS to be some way of using it! So it's not as illogical as it may seem, but stems from the fact that Reason was not originally a MIDI sequencer (or an audio recorder), so these functions must conform to the original "paradigm" of a "device" as the center of any current or future action. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information