Why CV in Master Section? Best practices and reasons for it.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Brosefski

03 Jan 2021

Hello Reasoners!

I'm doing a deep dive into the master section in the hopes for a smoother, faster and precision oriented polish on the tunes I make. So far I see a good path forward. But I'm wondering, puzzled over the use of the CV inputs and the WHY of it. When I think about mastering, I think of primarily static inputs, a series of gear stacked together in a purposeful chain to tweak/maximize and glue the final output. Dynamics are fully managed by the plugins or RE's within the master section.

So here's my questions to advanced users: Why would I use the CVs in the Master Section? What is it good for? For what purposes would I use it for and what are the advantages?
:reason: :recycle: :re:

BRIGGS

03 Jan 2021

Brosefski wrote:
03 Jan 2021
Hello Reasoners!

I'm doing a deep dive into the master section in the hopes for a smoother, faster and precision oriented polish on the tunes I make. So far I see a good path forward. But I'm wondering, puzzled over the use of the CV inputs and the WHY of it. When I think about mastering, I think of primarily static inputs, a series of gear stacked together in a purposeful chain to tweak/maximize and glue the final output. Dynamics are fully managed by the plugins or RE's within the master section.

So here's my questions to advanced users: Why would I use the CVs in the Master Section? What is it good for? For what purposes would I use it for and what are the advantages?
It's for lazy people who can't be bothered with working cv/automation into 'parts' instead. :lol:
r11s

Brosefski

03 Jan 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
03 Jan 2021
It's for lazy people who can't be bothered with working cv/automation into 'parts' instead. :lol:
I'm not sure what you mean by "parts". Could you explain that some? When I think CV, I think pattern sequencer and I think change in movement over time so if there's some other detail I'm missing for possible workflow analysis, I'd like to know! :D

Billy+

03 Jan 2021

Brosefski wrote:
03 Jan 2021
BRIGGS wrote:
03 Jan 2021
I'm not sure what you mean by "parts". Could you explain that some? When I think CV, I think pattern sequencer and I think change in movement over time so if there's some other detail I'm missing for possible workflow analysis, I'd like to know! :D
Think sine wave as bi polar cv signal controlling a pan control.

rgdaniel

03 Jan 2021

The Master Section, like the Mix Channels, is at its heart a Combinator. So it has the same stuff: four knobs, four buttons, four CV ins etc. Same code being efficiently used, perhaps? Can be used via programmer to control devices in the master section. What I may have to check the manual and read up on is that "CV In Master Level"... not sure I've even noticed that before, let alone used it... guess its just what it sounds like....

BRIGGS

03 Jan 2021

Brosefski wrote:
03 Jan 2021
BRIGGS wrote:
03 Jan 2021
Parts could be busses, parallel channels, or the channels themselves.
r11s

Brosefski

03 Jan 2021

Billy wrote:
03 Jan 2021
Think sine wave as bi polar cv signal controlling a pan control.
Right, so if I put this into a matrix pattern sequencer I can get a sine wave pattern going left to right and back. But why would I want that in my master section? The assumption here is that in my master section, the sound I have going into it is already finished. If I wanted to pan the entire signal left to right and back, I would probably just put in a sub master bus that all the other buses feed into and use the cv pan on the mixer into the matrix pattern sequencer curve CV.

Billy+

03 Jan 2021

I wouldn't use a Matrix pattern sequencer for pan or volume modulation.

I guess the point is that before your "finished" you can use the cv for modulation, once your happy with it you can bounce to audio and remove any modulation, but I think quite a few don't bounce individual tracks just the final export leaving all the modulation in place.

I really depends how you want to work.

Brosefski

03 Jan 2021

rgdaniel wrote:
03 Jan 2021
The Master Section, like the Mix Channels, is at its heart a Combinator. So it has the same stuff: four knobs, four buttons, four CV ins etc. Same code being efficiently used, perhaps? Can be used via programmer to control devices in the master section. What I may have to check the manual and read up on is that "CV In Master Level"... not sure I've even noticed that before, let alone used it... guess its just what it sounds like....
Yep! :D. Yeah I can relate not noticing some of this stuff, I've gone forever never paying attention to this part of the master section. I think you're probably right, I doubt they've duplicated code there (DRY principle) and definitely reuse here. I'm just trying to figure out a reason to ever use it in the master section. It escapes me at this time.

Billy+

03 Jan 2021

I prefer to use a little ammo for modulation.
IMG_2360.JPG
IMG_2360.JPG (48.31 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... scillator/

Brosefski

03 Jan 2021

Billy wrote:
03 Jan 2021
I wouldn't use a Matrix pattern sequencer for pan or volume modulation.

I guess the point is that before your "finished" you can use the cv for modulation, once your happy with it you can bounce to audio and remove any modulation, but I think quite a few don't bounce individual tracks just the final export leaving all the modulation in place.

I really depends how you want to work.
So I went and took a quick look and the pan cv doesn't exist in the master section so the pan doesn't apply here. I was thinking what I COULD do, maybe put a sweep on an exciter tune or timbre. However I don't know what problem that would solve.

As far as the workflow, I can see what you mean by this. If I wanted to modulate something I could use the master section instead if I just want to bounce the master out as a sample I can put in to something else. This looks more like a sound design workflow rather than a finished composition workflow.

Brosefski

03 Jan 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
03 Jan 2021
Parts could be busses, parallel channels, or the channels themselves.
Ok I totally get what you're saying :lol:

Brosefski

03 Jan 2021

Billy wrote:
03 Jan 2021
I prefer to use a little ammo for modulation.
IMG_2360.JPG

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... scillator/
5 stars and only $15 so I couldn't say no to that. :D

Bes
Competition Winner

03 Jan 2021

i can easily see myself using a RE like HAMU's Newtrol_8 and a midi controller like the AKAI MidiMix for tactile control over some mastering elements or perhaps for live performance. i think the options are there for flexibility and if you're into cv then you'll find more ways of using it but you aren't missing out on anything by not using it either
- Certified Reason expert

Brosefski

03 Jan 2021

Bes wrote:
03 Jan 2021
i can easily see myself using a RE like HAMU's Newtrol_8 and a midi controller like the AKAI MidiMix for tactile control over some mastering elements or perhaps for live performance. i think the options are there for flexibility and if you're into cv then you'll find more ways of using it but you aren't missing out on anything by not using it either
Boom. There ya go, that makes a ton of sense. Connect the cv's to a controlling unit that would then be transferred to a midi controller, for instance a midi mix for tactile use. That makes a lot of sense. Forward thinking in that direction. Thanks, that's the missing link for that workflow. I went and grabbed it to tinker. It's free now.

• Information