25 Cents Flat?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
True

02 Dec 2020

Recently I've been having an issue where I can have a guitar or bass guitar input, tuned with an electric tuner or with the built-in Reason tuner, playing a perfect E. The pitch editor shows it as a perfect E. But when I play a perfect E on a synth (e.g., a sawtooth on a Subtractor or Thor), the synth sounds flat. Very flat. Like 25-cents flat.

It's hard to imagine that this has been a problem for so long that I haven't noticed, but I'm not sure what I would have changed to cause it. The Master Tune is set to 440. My electric tuner is set to 440. I'm running straight into a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which has nothing on it that should affect tuning. I've been using Reason since the Record days and even before, so I'm not a noob to recording. Currently I'm running Reason 11 Suite on Windows 10 with an i7 3.0 GHz processor and 16 GB of RAM, so it shouldn't be a performance issue.

Any ideas?

nooomy

02 Dec 2020

True wrote:
02 Dec 2020
Recently I've been having an issue where I can have a guitar or bass guitar input, tuned with an electric tuner or with the built-in Reason tuner, playing a perfect E. The pitch editor shows it as a perfect E. But when I play a perfect E on a synth (e.g., a sawtooth on a Subtractor or Thor), the synth sounds flat. Very flat. Like 25-cents flat.

It's hard to imagine that this has been a problem for so long that I haven't noticed, but I'm not sure what I would have changed to cause it. The Master Tune is set to 440. My electric tuner is set to 440. I'm running straight into a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, which has nothing on it that should affect tuning. I've been using Reason since the Record days and even before, so I'm not a noob to recording. Currently I'm running Reason 11 Suite on Windows 10 with an i7 3.0 GHz processor and 16 GB of RAM, so it shouldn't be a performance issue.

Any ideas?
Have you checked your midi-keyboard, is the pitch wheel zeroed?

What happens if you take a radical piano standard patch and put a E in the sequencer and play that instead?

selig
RE Developer

02 Dec 2020

Is the pitch flat, or does it just sound flat? If you play the synth and guitar at the same pitch at the same time, are they in tune/no beating? What does the tuner show for the synth tuning? Could just be a difference between acoustically vs synthetically generated sounds and how we perceive them...
Selig Audio, LLC

True

02 Dec 2020

Thank you!

Based on the suggestions here, I've concluded that it must be a psychoacoustic issue, possibly combined with the attack of the notes pulling slightly sharp.

• Information