When will vst 3 support be available?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
exxx

01 Dec 2020

I bought the plugin some time ago without thinking, but I found out that it was vst3 support and hurried to refund it.

Someday reason will support vst3, but hopefully that will be in the near future, and at least reason 12 does not separate generations.

Hope to have vst3 support in 11

antic604

01 Dec 2020

exxx wrote:
01 Dec 2020
I bought the plugin some time ago without thinking, but I found out that it was vst3 support and hurried to refund it.

Someday reason will support vst3, but hopefully that will be in the near future, and at least reason 12 does not separate generations.

Which plugin was it? There's very few that are VST3 only.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

EnochLight

01 Dec 2020

exxx wrote:
01 Dec 2020

In the meantime, why don't you just use a VST3 wrapper in Reason? Plenty of options out there.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

exxx

02 Dec 2020

EnochLight wrote:
01 Dec 2020
exxx wrote:
01 Dec 2020

In the meantime, why don't you just use a VST3 wrapper in Reason? Plenty of options out there.
I know there are many daws in the world, and I know other daws support vst3.

But I am the reason user, and you are also the reason user.

From the perspective of the same user

Wouldn't hoping daw have a new feature would have more positive consequences for each other than telling him to leave here?

Why focus on advocating studio?

Oquasec

02 Dec 2020

Minihost loads them all
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EnochLight

02 Dec 2020

exxx wrote:
02 Dec 2020

Wouldn't hoping daw have a new feature would have more positive consequences for each other than telling him to leave here?

You misunderstand - I totally want VST3 support in Reason DAW proper! I feel it's long overdue and just silly that we have RRP as a VST3 itself, yet the actual DAW can't load them. :o :? I'm not saying you to leave here - not sure where you got that idea. I'm suggesting that you don't have to ignore VST3 plugins in Reason DAW proper if you use a simple wrapper inside Reason, for the time being, while we wait for Reason Studios to add the support into Reason DAW proper.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

iamthor4

02 Dec 2020

EnochLight wrote:
02 Dec 2020
exxx wrote:
02 Dec 2020

You misunderstand - I totally want VST3 support in Reason DAW proper! I feel it's long overdue and just silly that we have RRP as a VST3 itself, yet the actual DAW can't load them. :o :? I'm not saying you to leave here - not sure where you got that idea. I'm suggesting that you don't have to ignore VST3 plugins in Reason DAW proper if you use a simple wrapper inside Reason, for the time being, while we wait for Reason Studios to add the support into Reason DAW proper.
kushview element
can load your vst3s

EnochLight

02 Dec 2020

iamthor4 wrote:
02 Dec 2020
kushview element
can load your vst3s
Yes, that's one of many wrappers available. Not an ideal solution, but the only ones we have currently.

toddbooster

02 Dec 2020

I know it's not the be all and end all, but even Ardour/Mixbus support VST3 now. Reason may be the only outlier at this point.

DNGmaestro
Competition Winner

09 Dec 2020

A lot of plug-ins and keyboard editors i want to use are in VST3, so it's kind of a pain Reason still does not support it.

Are there any rumors or news regarding this topic?

Loque

09 Dec 2020

No.
Reason12, Win10

GothicJJ

09 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote:
01 Dec 2020
exxx wrote:
01 Dec 2020

Which plugin was it? There's very few that are VST3 only.
Very few I don't know but very important for sure. Just to name two basic VST3 only: Melodyne and Revoice Pro 4/VocAlign Pro 4/VocAlign Project 3.
For the crazy people, like me, who persist in using Reason for professional mixing, these are basic VST's. Furthermore there are more and more software house working only with VST3, just like DrumCore4 by Sonoma Wire Works, all of the new plugins by Tone Empire and the list is growing up month after month.

I take advantage of a particular wrapper, DDMF Metaplugin64, but working with a wrapper can be a temporary lifeline, not a definite solution, because you can make some things but not all the things you could do if VST3 were supported by Reason. Don't misunderstand me: the pitch-editing in Reason is great, audio time-stretching is good, automatic quantizing pretty revisable but when this comes to be clearly not enough, you have "to go VST" and leave Reason features, which are by the way excellent for producers or for home-recorders.

So I too hope VST3 as well as ARA can be *the* turning point for Reason 12, otherwise as far as I'm concerned I will have to migrate to another DAW for mixing thrid party's works, yet retaining Reason for producing my stuff. And that would be really painful to me, since I'm in love with Reason, I've been using it for 15 years and I can't wonder change my workflow at my age (I'm no more a newbie, unfortunately and fortunately).

Trivia: it took 5 hours for me to manually time-aligning a large number of vocal (and guitar) tracks in Reason, whereas I would have spent only 30 minutes using Revoice or VocAlign. (I tried other VST2 like AutoAlign by SoundRadix and MAutoAlign by MeldaProduction but they work well only if you have two or more identical tracks delayed in time whereas they don't work if you have differently performed tracks delayed in time).

Billy+

09 Dec 2020

What vst3 device are you trying to load?

Billy+

09 Dec 2020

DNGmaestro wrote:
09 Dec 2020
A lot of plug-ins and keyboard editors i want to use are in VST3, so it's kind of a pain Reason still does not support it.

Are there any rumors or news regarding this topic?
You can run vst3 in Reason using a few different software applications, what device are you trying to run.

GothicJJ

09 Dec 2020

Billy wrote:
09 Dec 2020
I can successfully load many VST3 unless they don't require the ARA integration, like Revoice Pro 4. Since Reason doesn't support ARA, I can load neither Revoice Pro 4, nor "the little brothers" VocAlign Pro and VocAlign Project. That's a kind of a bummer. By the way working with a VST wrapper is like generating light by a bottle dynamo: in case of emergency it can save you, OK, but in the rest of cases it's a pain in the neck, especially if you think that all the others got a power circuit at home where they have to simply push a button in order to turn on the light.

O.T.
The only rumours about improvements I heard of are about hi-res device previews and that doesn't bode well for Reason as a DAW if Reason Studios really want to compete with other DAWs in the field of music recording, editing, mixing and mastering. I hope to be wrong but from the latest releases of RS it seems they are focusing on a different market, that of "home music maker", MIDI music maker especially. And that's a good point but, c'mon, there's a whole world out there to conquer, just where Studio One or BitWig arrived in much less time (just to name two emerging DAWs).
Actually if you use Reason as a "music maker" tool, I admittedly could find only very few minor points for improvement, because it's just perfect as it is. But if you want to use that as your mixing console, well, only my huge love for the SSL mix and the hardware-like interface has kept me so far from migrating to more "confortable" DAWs. And I hate admitting this since I love Reason, got almost 400 RE's and I'm doing everything I can to keep on working professionally on Reason for my everyday mixing work. Rant over.

DNGmaestro
Competition Winner

11 Dec 2020

Billy wrote:
09 Dec 2020
Trying to use the Roland Integra 7 official editor for example, and some others i require ocasionally.

As GothicJJ mentioned, i'm one of the crazy people who use Reason profissionally, both to make and mix music, and it can be tireing to always be so far on the backpack.

Billy+

11 Dec 2020

DNGmaestro wrote:
11 Dec 2020
Billy wrote:
09 Dec 2020
Trying to use the Roland Integra 7 official editor for example, and some others i require ocasionally.

As GothicJJ mentioned, i'm one of the crazy people who use Reason profissionally, both to make and mix music, and it can be tireing to always be so far on the backpack.
I was just curious as I've started seeing a few vst3 only devices lately and really don't like the idea of using a "bridge" I to would also like to see vst3 support just to get my izotope vst's working as expected. I was glad to see that RS finally updated the shop to include neutron3 and ozone9 not that I've upgraded yet as I'm still waiting for my massively delayed book.

exxx

11 Dec 2020

I think the RS staff should comment. The user's demand for a flow closer to the industry's next-generation standards is a very important issue.

It doesn't matter if there are no new players, but the lack of a roadmap for scalability is an important issue.

The flow of most RS studios is focused on short-term profits, leaving even loyal fans out of the way.

EnochLight

13 Dec 2020

exxx wrote:
11 Dec 2020
I think the RS staff should comment. The user's demand for a flow closer to the industry's next-generation standards is a very important issue.

It doesn't matter if there are no new players, but the lack of a roadmap for scalability is an important issue.
To be clear, I doubt Reason will ever - EVER - come close to doing things like Pro Tools, Logic, Live, etc - can do. I'm sure we'll continue to see small incremental additions in features, that will always be behind those other DAW, but Reason's focus (both DAW proper and RRP) will always be to inspire playing with sound creation and mangling first and foremost. After literally almost 20 years of users asking for features that other DAW have always had, I think it's pretty clear what direction the ship has set its course. Whether you feel that ship has sailed or you want to remain on board as a permanent or occasional passenger is another question, though. I don't think us users will ever get everything we truly want in Reason (which is where RRP comes in).
exxx wrote:
11 Dec 2020
The flow of most RS studios is focused on short-term profits, leaving even loyal fans out of the way.
I completely disagree, but that's cool.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Dec 2020

EnochLight wrote:
13 Dec 2020
exxx wrote:
11 Dec 2020

To be clear, I doubt Reason will ever - EVER - come close to doing things like Pro Tools, Logic, Live, etc - can do. I'm sure we'll continue to see small incremental additions in features, that will always be behind those other DAW, but Reason's focus (both DAW proper and RRP) will always be to inspire playing with sound creation and mangling first and foremost. After literally almost 20 years of users asking for features that other DAW have always had, I think it's pretty clear what direction the ship has set its course. Whether you feel that ship has sailed or you want to remain on board as a permanent or occasional passenger is another question, though. I don't think us users will ever get everything we truly want in Reason (which is where RRP comes in).
exxx wrote:
11 Dec 2020
I completely disagree, but that's cool.
I’m just glad he didn’t mention Balance Enoch...now what was it you called it again?

🙃😉
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

13 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
13 Dec 2020
I’m just glad he didn’t mention Balance Enoch...now what was it you called it again?

🙃😉
Hahahahah! :lol: :lol: :lol:

dead_product.jpg
dead_product.jpg (137.91 KiB) Viewed 4601 times

exxx

13 Dec 2020

Extensibility provides creativity. Why do you think that expanding scalability hurts creativity?

Musicians want to create their own sound.

The company can help a little more with vst3 support.

I also make sound with daw as reason, but the range of use of the sound needs to continue to expand.

At least in order to keep the business going, the company needs to be properly grounded.

Mike B

14 Dec 2020

EnochLight wrote:
13 Dec 2020

Reason's focus (both DAW proper and RRP) will always be to inspire playing with sound creation and mangling first and foremost.
In this case VST 3 should be a top priority since they are leaving many sounds behind and they’re not being on par with modern formats.

EnochLight

14 Dec 2020

Mike B wrote:
14 Dec 2020
In this case VST 3 should be a top priority since they are leaving many sounds behind and they’re not being on par with modern formats.
You won't get any complaints from me - I fully support our request to get Reason DAW proper to support VST3! I've been asking for this since 9.5 dropped and actually added support for VST, and even more so when RRP appeared in 11 and turned out to be a VST3 itself! :o :shock: :lol:

But leaving many sounds behind? I think the industry-wide requirement of VST3 is being a bit exaggerated, here. The majority of devs still offer VST2 versions of their plugins (that's not to say there are plenty of devs that do require VST3 support - I get that! And I am also aware that VST2 has been deprecated by Steinberg)...

DJMaytag

14 Dec 2020

EnochLight wrote:
14 Dec 2020
But leaving many sounds behind? I think the industry-wide requirement of VST3 is being a bit exaggerated, here. The majority of devs still offer VST2 versions of their plugins
I can't think of a single plugin that's only available as a VST3. I can only think of one situation where someone had their plugins as AU-only for a little while, but they quickly developed a VST2.x version (Beep Street Sunrizer).

VST3 would be nice, but it's not life or death to not have it yet.

• Information