Fm between samples

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kooshan

01 Dec 2020

Obviously we have fm in subtractor ,thor and other synths . But I find no fm possibility in nn19 or nnxt . Maybe it could be possible to do so by using thor? Any ideas?

Loque

01 Dec 2020

Not fully, Thor can only FM the oscillators and the filters. You can FM the filter from outside by sending a sample into the filter as audio and send another sample to the Filter FM. It's not quite the same as real FM, since you FM the filter frequency only.
Reason12, Win10

zoidkirb

01 Dec 2020

I got some strange harsh distorted sounds by FM'ing the oscillator with samples from NNXT. At first I thought that's bit useless but then I tried short decay, no sustain and a medium release on the Thor amp envelope and I was getting some decent noisy yet melodic percussion sounds going. Tweaking the NNXT envelopes gave some more good results.

Oquasec

01 Dec 2020

Doing that without a vocoder using thor's inputs eh?
Wow. Sounds useful man. If you can modulate those osc like that it's useful man
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

loopeydoug

01 Dec 2020

I'll have to try this. I've been on a pitched percussion synthesis kick lately, using Parsec, Zero, Noxious, Resonans, and my Hydrasynth. I was getting some great results with a patch on the VirtualCZ plug in that I picked up on sale, but a simple, lightly polyphonic MIDI clip choked my CPU so bad I had to abandon it.

Loque

01 Dec 2020

If you try the FM stuff, keep in mind the the loudness of the modulator has a huge impact to the final sound, so keep a Gain control reachable when you try this. Sometimes if the sound is way too harsh, you can use some LPF or BPF to smooth out the highfrequencies, which result in "slower" modulations, which may not sound that harsh. One last thing is, that Thor does not do some kind of oversampling and i am not sure, if the mod matrix really works in audio rate modulation frequency, so the result might be better with a higher sample rate.

Happy experimenting!
Reason12, Win10

• Information