I've become to appreciate the Reason stock devices more and more...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Heigen5

29 Nov 2020

When we used to have only the stocks, I did't know the value of them as well as I do now.
The RE and VST world is awesome, but so are all the stocks. My mastering section has still lots of stocks in it's chain.
So basically taken, they are great for certain tasks I do. The beauty of the M-class as example is that they are simple and do the job.
The Scream4 is an old muthafucka, but still In heavy use by me. :thumbs_up:

STIM

30 Nov 2020

When I recently purchased Serum I watched a lot of Tutorials, many of them used 'FM from B' to get some really great sounds going.

My use of Serum has also inspired me to go back to the stock reason devices like Subtractor & Thor, both of which can use the same technique (Thor in the mod matrix, Subtractor has a dedicated FM knob).

EnochLight

30 Nov 2020

Heigen5 wrote:
29 Nov 2020
When we used to have only the stocks, I did't know the value of them as well as I do now.
The RE and VST world is awesome, but so are all the stocks. My mastering section has still lots of stocks in it's chain.
So basically taken, they are great for certain tasks I do. The beauty of the M-class as example is that they are simple and do the job.
The Scream4 is an old muthafucka, but still In heavy use by me. :thumbs_up:
Indeed! I've spent countless hours mixed up in Serum (overrated), Avenger (LMAO, what a convoluted mess), Spire (a classic, but.. still..), and Omnisphere (Pffffffffft... :lol: overpriced - sold it). Reason's stock devices fulfill the vast majority of all of those, IMHO. Europa and Grain, along with everything else, gets me all of the way there.

That said, I do find it hard to walk away from iZotope's Neutron 3 and Ozone 9. Love their GUI/UX and core features. Reason's options just don't hold a candle to those, IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loque

30 Nov 2020

Yea, the stock stuff is clearly useful. I use them all, even the old NN19 sometimes or the half-rack stuff. Each has it's own sound character and i like it, that some of them are quite easy. The only drawback imo is, that at some certain point you cannot go beyond there limitations which come quite quickly compared to some high class stuff of today (just as an example the modules in Kong). On the other side, a lot of the high class stuff is also limited in a lot of ways too, so i am still waiting for THAT simple to use tools than can go freaking deep if needed...
Reason12, Win10

hfw

30 Nov 2020

I got back into Thor and Kongs Analogue kick module recently.

Always use redrum, and have a multi out set up patch for bitwig via RRP.

MClass are ok but it would be nice to see an upgrade (the mixer strip ones recently are great but something with an ozone like gui in terms of spectrum displays etc etc would be handy and cool)

Oquasec

30 Nov 2020

I've been using RE and stock way more these days since I have the time n resources to really get going
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

iamthor4

30 Nov 2020

i think reason has way better and more
interesting and creative stock devices than all other daws , ableton doesnt have anything remotely as good or fun imo

Loque

30 Nov 2020

Check out this sound if you like:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7520545
Reason12, Win10

estuary

30 Nov 2020

Recently I realised how good is "pulverizer"
Great to shape the sounds, it gives great character to any instruments or vocal.
"Tone" and "Frequency" do the job and avoid me endless adjustements on a basic equalizer
"Squash" and "Dirt" to give some punch,
Then push the "spread" button and meticulous settings on the "TREMOR"
One of the best way for me to glue elements to the mix
On the vocal it's amazing it gives some vintage/analog character, very warm drive.

It can also be used for distorded sounds, etc
A great device!

iamthor4

30 Nov 2020

i just love how i can get beats going in redrum on the sequencer and pop the midi in the timeline , i dont even use kong or rytmik for this reason

jlgrimes

30 Nov 2020

iamthor4 wrote:
30 Nov 2020
i think reason has way better and more
interesting and creative stock devices than all other daws , ableton doesnt have anything remotely as good or fun imo
Depends but Reason definitely have more fun synths. Reason overall have a more creative edge in terms of devices where Ableton stuff is more utilitarian and practical. Ableton's stock compressor for example is one of my favorite stock compressors as it is so easy to tune and clean sounding.

Ableton has some great creative devices as well though where without them I feel limited. Drum Racks is Abletons best invention and the way Simpler and Sampler integrates.

CloudsOfSound

30 Nov 2020

jlgrimes wrote:
30 Nov 2020

Ableton has some great creative devices as well though where without them I feel limited. Drum Racks is Abletons best invention and the way Simpler and Sampler integrates.
Indeed, Ableton has plenty of great tools, at least with the full version and suite, but I for one was an Ableton Live Suite user, and I just can't imagine anything less creative in terms of the UI / UX aspects of the DAW.

It's like trying to get inspired for doing renaissance painting while you're trapped in a room filled with sterile surgical steel and bright white light.

I know that it may seem strange to many, but I feel much more comfortable when I see Reason's user interface, that actually looks like something that could be used creatively to make music, with its rack, cables and all... Ableton, well it is very German. As in meticulous focus on technical details. Not my cup of shrooms.
:reason: Reason 10 running on  MacBook Pro 16" 2019
(6-Core Intel Core i7 / AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB / 16GB RAM)
macOS Catalina v.10.15.2
Software Developer and Wannabe Musician

• Information