Novation Impulse and Novation Launchkey mk3 - Reason support

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
GRB

23 Nov 2020

I got a Novation Impulse 49 two weeks ago. Nice keybed but they dropped AutoMap support and now this nice controller it's supposed to do everything through HUI... but it doesn't. (it works in Studio One 4.5+ and in Reaper to some extent but it fails in Reason).

After many hours I've discovered that Reason doesn't auto-detect all needed AutoMap controllers to keep track of the faders, knobs and transport bar. You need to manually add a 4th controller to use faders as volume channels and yet you must keep track of a tiny yellow icon that's on the mixer to be on the far left, otherwise you only control Chan 1 and not the others.

After unsuccessfully tried to get support from Novation I saw that Reason just recently supports Launchley MK3, is there anyone using this keyboard here?

Is it possible to change channel volume with the sliders? I saw a small Novation video and they change presets, use the transport bar buttons, move some knobs, changing presets, having Undo, Click track and that's it, nothing about moving faders and seeing sliders moving along in Reason or muting/solo channels.

I've also checked inside the newly added "Launchkey MK3.remotemap" and it seems that it will control faders in the main mixer. At least there is a Scope regarding "Propellerheads Reason Master Section" that mentions Faders 1 thru 8 (no mention of the 9th master fader)

Can somebody confirm this? I don't want to have another Reason-useless Novation keyboard here :)

Thanks!

R12 12.2d36 / Reason+ / R11 Suite - Win10 64bit HP i7 - 32Gb RAM - SSD / Scarlett 2i4 / Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 / Nektar Impact LX61+ / JBL 305 MKII

scotward57

24 Nov 2020

I have the Launchkey 49 MK3. Yes there is an installer script specifically for Reason for this keyboard. It will map to specific devices up through Reason 10. But there is no documentation on specific Remote mappings that I know of. Also the mapping for the Combinator is weird. It maps Rotary 1-4 to the first 4 knobs like you'd expect. But then they map Buttons 1-4 to the other 4 knobs. Bizarre since the 49 MK3 has faders and buttons.

Let's face it. Reason's Remote technology needs a serious overhaul. It does not represent any kind of industry wide accepted standard. I'm noticing more manufacturers are moving away from supporting it. For example, Akai didn't even bother making a Remote file for the Mini MPK MK3, even though they did for MK2.

If I were running Reason Studios, Remote version 2 would just be users being able to create their own Remote files in a more user friendly way. I like Remote override, but I want to be able to create multiple mappings (like separate scenes) within a Reason project and to be able export/import scenes between projects.

GRB

24 Nov 2020

scotward57 wrote:
24 Nov 2020
I have the Launchkey 49 MK3. Yes there is an installer script specifically for Reason for this keyboard. It will map to specific devices up through Reason 10. But there is no documentation on specific Remote mappings that I know of. Also the mapping for the Combinator is weird. It maps Rotary 1-4 to the first 4 knobs like you'd expect. But then they map Buttons 1-4 to the other 4 knobs. Bizarre since the 49 MK3 has faders and buttons.

That's good news! Sorry to bother you with this questions :)
  • Can you confirm that if you move a slider on the keyboard it will change the channel volume?
  • Is it possible to make mute/solo using pads or buttons?
  • The script allows you to map specific buttons to functions?
  • What can you do besides Undo / Quantize / Click track / Select track and the regular transport bar buttons?
  • I mean, the script takes care of the sliders in any way or is it like you can't use them?
Please, tell me more about this since I can't do all this tests in the music shop! (they sells keyboards as they were selling chairs without letting you sit on)
scotward57 wrote:
24 Nov 2020
Let's face it. Reason's Remote technology needs a serious overhaul. It does not represent any kind of industry wide accepted standard. I'm noticing more manufacturers are moving away from supporting it. For example, Akai didn't even bother making a Remote file for the Mini MPK MK3, even though they did for MK2.

If I were running Reason Studios, Remote version 2 would just be users being able to create their own Remote files in a more user friendly way. I like Remote override, but I want to be able to create multiple mappings (like separate scenes) within a Reason project and to be able export/import scenes between projects.
I'm reading the SDK looking for making Remote maps, maybe it is possible to make something about it. Novation and Focusrite has been on the market since many years, it seems that with a little bit of work we can make this keyboard customizable for our Reason needs (changing configs/scenes on the air based on a project, etc.)

I've just unpacked the Novation provided script that you mention, it contains Maps and LUA Codecs for the 3 latest models (Mini MK3, MK3 and SL).

Looking at the scripts (dated jun 22/2020) seems that it can be changed to your needs regarding combinators, they actually use knobs 1 to 4 and then buttons 1 to 4. Do you want to get knobs 5 to 8 mapped to the rest of the combinator knobs?

It seems that in the Record Master Section uses PADs to select channels and then knobs to adjust Ratio, Threshold, Release, etc. and with Cliplaunch you change to the next 8 channels.

It also seems to have working Patch Name on the LCD, Track Up, Track Down, LOOP, STOP, PLAY, RECORD, CLICK, Quantize, Undo but can't see that the sliders are mapped to the actual channels...

Please confirm that you can move a slider and the volume of the selected channel goes up and down

Thanks!

PS: Tell me you whislist for knobs and combinator, its a matter of carefully modify a single file and the copy that to a specific Reason folder ;)
R12 12.2d36 / Reason+ / R11 Suite - Win10 64bit HP i7 - 32Gb RAM - SSD / Scarlett 2i4 / Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 / Nektar Impact LX61+ / JBL 305 MKII

Italophile

24 Nov 2020

GRB wrote:
23 Nov 2020
Nice keybed but they dropped AutoMap support and now this nice controller it's supposed to do everything through HUI... but it doesn't.
Novation may have dropped support for Automap but it still works perfectly with Reason on Windows. Unless either Remote gets an unlikely update or a Windows update breaks it I expect Automap will continue working. It remains the best integration IMO, so long as you realise that you need to create your own mappings. The whole point of Automap was that you created the mappings how you wanted them rather than be forced to accept someone else’s workflow.

GRB

25 Nov 2020

Thanks Italophile, Automap still works but it has many issues to make a map that actually manages mixer channels, you must keep the mix channel with a tiny yellow icon to the left so the rest of the faders works on the 2nd 3rd etc mix channels. It works but its annoying.

I was lucky seems I've managed to change the recently bought Impulse 49 for a Launchkey 49 MK3 at the music store, now I'm trying to understand how it works but so far I can say that this is a really nice Reason compatible MIDI controller (I can get a Panorama here so...).

It doesn't have a FF or REW button, didn't noticed that when I saw it, but the rest of the buttons works (Quantize/Click track/Undo/Loop/Play/Stop/Rec)

After updating the firmware and using the provided remotemap still misses some devices but it seems that you can add them with a little bit of knowledge.

The keybed is very nice (better than my M-AUDIO Oxygen 61), is not a almost-semi-weighted like the Impulse 49 but I prefer it that way.

Nice keyboard, not too much expensive and it works also with other DAWs (it you use Ableton this is made it for... but also works on Reaper and Studio One).

Currently trying to control the custom sliders to move the master channel faders...

Can somebody tell me in this thread if they are using Launchkey MK3 49/61 besides scotward57 so we can share Reason-related tips?

Thanks!

• Information