Comp Edit Mode Question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Carlita

20 Nov 2020

When you're in comp edit mode, editing vocals, and you want to move, say, one word over slightly for better timing,
how would you do that, without pulling the whole the audio clip over?

Would I have to use a duplicate and, move it over and select the word, or is there some better way!?

Thanks a bunch :)

Grog

29 Jul 2021

Razor slice the word then you can move it freely. Make sure that snap is off

Ottostrom

29 Jul 2021

Sounds like you should be using Pitch Edit mode instead of Comp Edit!
In the top part of pitch edit (where you see the audio waveform) you can select different parts of your vocal and move it around easily to fix timing issues (without having to cut the audio itself) :)

guitfnky

29 Jul 2021

yeah, you probably want either pitch edit mode or slice edit mode. you can stretch with either of those. I want to say the general process is to do comp mode edits first, then use either pitch edit or slice edit to correct timing. if you’re doing vocals, pitch edit probably makes the most sense.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Ottostrom

29 Jul 2021

zabukowski wrote:
29 Jul 2021
Duplicate lane and move it.
You could do that. But for every new adjustment you have to duplicate it again since you can't use the last one without messing up the timing on it.
This, in my opinion, is a very slow and counterintuitive way of doing it.

selig
RE Developer

29 Jul 2021

I did a tutorial for the Props a while back that included this very subject, but it's missing images etc. so I'll post it here and paste in the original images - hopefully everything still applies since this is 10 years old now and Reason 6 was the current version at the time… ;)

Part One: The Clip Slide Edit

The situation you often may find yourself in is that you’ve recorded an audio track that has a few ‘timing’ errors you’d like to correct. You can do this in the main sequencer window, but it’s time consuming. The workflow would involve using the Razor tool to isolate the offending note(s), and then grab the clip and move it to be more ‘in time’. THEN, you’ll notice there’s a gap left by this edit, so you will need to trim that edit. So you’re essentially doing two jobs: correcting the timing and filling the gaps. You can also use the Comp Editor to do this, but you have to create a new comp row for each edit. Wouldn’t it be nice to do it all in a single row and in a single step? Here’s how!

This technique uses “Single Mode” instead of “Comp Mode”, so if you have a track that is already using Comp Mode, you’ll first need to “Bounce Clips to New Recording”. This creates a new audio file (reflecting the edits made in Comp Mode) and places it as the current ‘take’ in the editor.

In this tutorial, I will show you the five easy steps to performing a Clip Slide edit on audio tracks.

1- double click on the clip you wish to edit. This takes you to Single Mode in the editor.
2- de-select the clip (click in the “Blocks” area above the waveform and below the ruler) and select the Razor Tool (the “R” key).
3- use the Razor Tool to isolate the audio that is out of time, which creates a new clip. See “Additional Tips” for information on how to select the best edit points
4- select the new clip for editing by double-clicking on it.
5- (making sure Grid Snap if off), slide the new clip until it’s ‘in time’.
Finally, exit Edit Mode and enjoy the fruits of your labors!

Part 2: Clip Slide Editing Rules

When initially isolating the audio to be corrected (using the Razor Tool), choosing the exact edit points based on which way the audio will be moved, and what the surrounding audio looks like will prevent you from having to adjust edit point after the timing has been corrected. Here are a few basic rules to help eliminate unnecessary edit fixes.

There are two “edits points” with most edits, called the “IN” point and the “OUT” point. The Razor Tool gives you total control over where to place these points (providing the Snap feature is off). The type of edit you are performing determines where you want these edit points to be placed (relative to the grid and the existing audio).

There are different rules for audio that is moved earlier vs later.

Audio is Late - when moving audio earlier (to the left), place the IN edit point slightly to the left (earlier) of where the moved audio SHOULD be (and where it will eventually end up). In the following image, the first hit should be on beat 2, but it’s a little late, so I used the razor to make the IN cut just ahead of beat 2.

The OUT cut “rule” is to make the cut at the very end of the audio you’re moving (don’t cut any audio off). This allows you to move the audio earlier/left without causing any edit issues. Here is the “corrected” audio:

Audio is Early - when moving audio later (to the right), place the IN point in front of the attack of the audio, and the OUT point almost to the attack of the next sound.

Here’s the correct audio:

By following these simple rules, you probably won’t have to adjust any edits. This will help in making a tedious job take a little less time, and will allow you to focus more on the creative aspects of editing.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information