Ernst Nathorst-Böös

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
guitfnky

Post 21 Nov 2020

scotward57 wrote:
20 Nov 2020
Thanks for your opinion everybody. Glad to hear Lord Ernst still owns the company. I just miss his hands-on leadership. I imagine once upon a time during staff meetings he carried around a big VETO branding iron and used it with employees creating new devices behind his back.

As far as music goes, I know many of you disagree about what makes good music. I say to that: go listen to the Beatles. What lessons can you learn? First, try not to use these so called modern music production techniques as a means to impress anybody. Side-chain compression, wobble effects, trap drums, 808 this and that...if you are relying on that to create music, then it's time sell your Reason license.

Try mixing in mono and panning all tracks on one side or the other. And there is no "reason" to have more than 8 tracks. 4 is even better.

And when it comes to drums, whenever I hear modern tracks with compressed drums with effects and spread across the stereo spectrum, fake hi hat note repeat effects, kicks and snares down the middle...that's no way to treat the drums. Drummers need to know their place. Pan all of their tracks hard left or hard right. A listener should be able to experience that feeling of "oh there's the drummer in their rightful place". Drummers who know their place play their with a certain urgency and energy and that's the sound everyone should be after.
I’d be very interested to hear some of your music, following all these silly arbitrary rules.

bxbrkrz

Post 21 Nov 2020

scotward57 wrote:
20 Nov 2020
Thanks for your opinion everybody. Glad to hear Lord Ernst still owns the company. I just miss his hands-on leadership. I imagine once upon a time during staff meetings he carried around a big VETO branding iron and used it with employees creating new devices behind his back.

As far as music goes, I know many of you disagree about what makes good music. I say to that: go listen to the Beatles. What lessons can you learn? First, try not to use these so called modern music production techniques as a means to impress anybody. Side-chain compression, wobble effects, trap drums, 808 this and that...if you are relying on that to create music, then it's time sell your Reason license.

Try mixing in mono and panning all tracks on one side or the other. And there is no "reason" to have more than 8 tracks. 4 is even better.

And when it comes to drums, whenever I hear modern tracks with compressed drums with effects and spread across the stereo spectrum, fake hi hat note repeat effects, kicks and snares down the middle...that's no way to treat the drums. Drummers need to know their place. Pan all of their tracks hard left or hard right. A listener should be able to experience that feeling of "oh there's the drummer in their rightful place". Drummers who know their place play their with a certain urgency and energy and that's the sound everyone should be after.
You don't need Reason. You need a reel to reel, a recording room, and a nice collection of mics for the musicians. If you want to "recreate" the music you love, use the appropriate tools. And be happy.

motuscott

Post 21 Nov 2020

Gear envy simi erection in full force, Captain
Scotty, from the engine room,
She's about ta bloww
Vlad the thread stopper 🧂

motuscott

Post 21 Nov 2020

The thing that the modern recording era has brought us old school fucks is the fact we no longer have to pay for tape
Celebrate, celebrate, dance to the musics
Vlad the thread stopper 🧂

PhillipOrdonez

Post 21 Nov 2020

Boombastix wrote:
20 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
20 Nov 2020

I think Irish, or Welsh.

EDIT: turn's out it's Scottish :D
Historians have quite well established that Haggis came to Scotland with the Vikings, so yeah it has Scandinavian or Swedish origin. You can still buy that stuff in Swedish grocery stores, just as your can get Haggis in Scotland.

The reason many of us eat ham at Christmas is also due to a Viking tradition. Just some fun facts...
It looks like lungemos. I used to think haggis was this disgusting thing, but I like lungemos, which looks like and is made of pluck too, except it is pig and cow pluck instead of sheep as I believe haggis is made of? Yeah, not bad!

DecafDreams

Post Yesterday

guitfnky wrote:
21 Nov 2020
scotward57 wrote:
20 Nov 2020

I’d be very interested to hear some of your music, following all these silly arbitrary rules.
That was clearly a joke, come on!

guitfnky

Post Yesterday

DecafDreams wrote:
Yesterday
guitfnky wrote:
21 Nov 2020

That was clearly a joke, come on!
given the totality of his comments in this thread, it definitely doesn’t seem like a joke.

• Information