Ernst Nathorst-Böös

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3030
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 21 Nov 2020

scotward57 wrote:
20 Nov 2020
Thanks for your opinion everybody. Glad to hear Lord Ernst still owns the company. I just miss his hands-on leadership. I imagine once upon a time during staff meetings he carried around a big VETO branding iron and used it with employees creating new devices behind his back.

As far as music goes, I know many of you disagree about what makes good music. I say to that: go listen to the Beatles. What lessons can you learn? First, try not to use these so called modern music production techniques as a means to impress anybody. Side-chain compression, wobble effects, trap drums, 808 this and that...if you are relying on that to create music, then it's time sell your Reason license.

Try mixing in mono and panning all tracks on one side or the other. And there is no "reason" to have more than 8 tracks. 4 is even better.

And when it comes to drums, whenever I hear modern tracks with compressed drums with effects and spread across the stereo spectrum, fake hi hat note repeat effects, kicks and snares down the middle...that's no way to treat the drums. Drummers need to know their place. Pan all of their tracks hard left or hard right. A listener should be able to experience that feeling of "oh there's the drummer in their rightful place". Drummers who know their place play their with a certain urgency and energy and that's the sound everyone should be after.
I’d be very interested to hear some of your music, following all these silly arbitrary rules.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2212
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 21 Nov 2020

scotward57 wrote:
20 Nov 2020
Thanks for your opinion everybody. Glad to hear Lord Ernst still owns the company. I just miss his hands-on leadership. I imagine once upon a time during staff meetings he carried around a big VETO branding iron and used it with employees creating new devices behind his back.

As far as music goes, I know many of you disagree about what makes good music. I say to that: go listen to the Beatles. What lessons can you learn? First, try not to use these so called modern music production techniques as a means to impress anybody. Side-chain compression, wobble effects, trap drums, 808 this and that...if you are relying on that to create music, then it's time sell your Reason license.

Try mixing in mono and panning all tracks on one side or the other. And there is no "reason" to have more than 8 tracks. 4 is even better.

And when it comes to drums, whenever I hear modern tracks with compressed drums with effects and spread across the stereo spectrum, fake hi hat note repeat effects, kicks and snares down the middle...that's no way to treat the drums. Drummers need to know their place. Pan all of their tracks hard left or hard right. A listener should be able to experience that feeling of "oh there's the drummer in their rightful place". Drummers who know their place play their with a certain urgency and energy and that's the sound everyone should be after.
You don't need Reason. You need a reel to reel, a recording room, and a nice collection of mics for the musicians. If you want to "recreate" the music you love, use the appropriate tools. And be happy.

Image

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 2235
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the New York

Post 21 Nov 2020

Gear envy simi erection in full force, Captain
Scotty, from the engine room,
She's about ta bloww
The Now Sound of MIDI Thru 🧂

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 2235
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the New York

Post 21 Nov 2020

The thing that the modern recording era has brought us old school fucks is the fact we no longer have to pay for tape
Celebrate, celebrate, dance to the musics
The Now Sound of MIDI Thru 🧂

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 1748
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Colombia

Post 21 Nov 2020

Boombastix wrote:
20 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
20 Nov 2020


I think Irish, or Welsh.

EDIT: turn's out it's Scottish :D
Historians have quite well established that Haggis came to Scotland with the Vikings, so yeah it has Scandinavian or Swedish origin. You can still buy that stuff in Swedish grocery stores, just as your can get Haggis in Scotland.

The reason many of us eat ham at Christmas is also due to a Viking tradition. Just some fun facts...
It looks like lungemos. I used to think haggis was this disgusting thing, but I like lungemos, which looks like and is made of pluck too, except it is pig and cow pluck instead of sheep as I believe haggis is made of? Yeah, not bad!
Perpetual license holder

DecafDreams
Posts: 159
Joined: 07 Oct 2020

Post 22 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
21 Nov 2020
scotward57 wrote:
20 Nov 2020
Thanks for your opinion everybody. Glad to hear Lord Ernst still owns the company. I just miss his hands-on leadership. I imagine once upon a time during staff meetings he carried around a big VETO branding iron and used it with employees creating new devices behind his back.

As far as music goes, I know many of you disagree about what makes good music. I say to that: go listen to the Beatles. What lessons can you learn? First, try not to use these so called modern music production techniques as a means to impress anybody. Side-chain compression, wobble effects, trap drums, 808 this and that...if you are relying on that to create music, then it's time sell your Reason license.

Try mixing in mono and panning all tracks on one side or the other. And there is no "reason" to have more than 8 tracks. 4 is even better.

And when it comes to drums, whenever I hear modern tracks with compressed drums with effects and spread across the stereo spectrum, fake hi hat note repeat effects, kicks and snares down the middle...that's no way to treat the drums. Drummers need to know their place. Pan all of their tracks hard left or hard right. A listener should be able to experience that feeling of "oh there's the drummer in their rightful place". Drummers who know their place play their with a certain urgency and energy and that's the sound everyone should be after.
I’d be very interested to hear some of your music, following all these silly arbitrary rules.
That was clearly a joke, come on!

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3030
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 22 Nov 2020

DecafDreams wrote:
22 Nov 2020
guitfnky wrote:
21 Nov 2020


I’d be very interested to hear some of your music, following all these silly arbitrary rules.
That was clearly a joke, come on!
given the totality of his comments in this thread, it definitely doesn’t seem like a joke.

DecafDreams
Posts: 159
Joined: 07 Oct 2020

Post 24 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
22 Nov 2020
DecafDreams wrote:
22 Nov 2020


That was clearly a joke, come on!
given the totality of his comments in this thread, it definitely doesn’t seem like a joke.
Well some of it was definitely tongue in cheek! Joking aside, The Beatles stuff is a great example of why anybody complaining in modernity that if only their DAW had this one extra feature or if they just had one more plugin, they'd be able to make the great music they "think" they can make... well, that person is full of shit. One should make the most of what one has today in the here and now and see anything above and beyond that as a bonus; not an essential. It's a better way to make music :)

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 3030
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 24 Nov 2020

DecafDreams wrote:
24 Nov 2020
guitfnky wrote:
22 Nov 2020


given the totality of his comments in this thread, it definitely doesn’t seem like a joke.
Well some of it was definitely tongue in cheek! Joking aside, The Beatles stuff is a great example of why anybody complaining in modernity that if only their DAW had this one extra feature or if they just had one more plugin, they'd be able to make the great music they "think" they can make... well, that person is full of shit. One should make the most of what one has today in the here and now and see anything above and beyond that as a bonus; not an essential. It's a better way to make music :)
I don't think anyone's said they can't make good music without specific features. modern features make it *easier* to make music. that's the point. no one wants to have to fight their DAW with a bunch of workarounds, when basic functionality should already be there.

also, how can you know whether a different user's posts are tongue in cheek? 🤔

scotward57
Posts: 25
Joined: 28 Jul 2019

Post 24 Nov 2020

As the saying goes, TRUST THE TALE NOT THE TELLER

If you are going to enter a Reason 1.0 contest, you might as well go there in mind, body and spirit. Put yourself in the shoes of a 1960s producer and not some millennial crybaby wanting everything to be easy.

fullforce
Posts: 334
Joined: 18 Aug 2018

Post 24 Nov 2020

selig wrote:
20 Nov 2020
Same here - Reason always was so much easier and far more fun than the other options I had used - and I’d used a few over the 20 years before I found Reason (@v2.0/2.5 in 2003). Plus, all the same tools from v1.0 are still available in Reason today, so if you liked working the “v1.0 way” you can still pretty much do it today!
No you can't, because the sequencer is radically different. Reason 1 didn't have clips.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce
Posts: 334
Joined: 18 Aug 2018

Post 24 Nov 2020

scotward57 wrote:
24 Nov 2020
As the saying goes, TRUST THE TALE NOT THE TELLER

If you are going to enter a Reason 1.0 contest, you might as well go there in mind, body and spirit. Put yourself in the shoes of a 1960s producer and not some millennial crybaby wanting everything to be easy.
It was probably easier in the 60's because not everything was already done. Even Michael Jackson (or rather Quincy Jones) just took presets from the then-brand-new synthesizers.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
selig
RE Developer
Posts: 9037
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods, CT, USA

Post 25 Nov 2020

fullforce wrote:
24 Nov 2020
scotward57 wrote:
24 Nov 2020
As the saying goes, TRUST THE TALE NOT THE TELLER

If you are going to enter a Reason 1.0 contest, you might as well go there in mind, body and spirit. Put yourself in the shoes of a 1960s producer and not some millennial crybaby wanting everything to be easy.
It was probably easier in the 60's because not everything was already done. Even Michael Jackson (or rather Quincy Jones) just took presets from the then-brand-new synthesizers.
So did Prince, the difference is they knew which preset to use in which role. In other words, they chose wisely and musically. 😏
Selig Audio, LLC

fullforce
Posts: 334
Joined: 18 Aug 2018

Post 25 Nov 2020

selig wrote:
25 Nov 2020
fullforce wrote:
24 Nov 2020


It was probably easier in the 60's because not everything was already done. Even Michael Jackson (or rather Quincy Jones) just took presets from the then-brand-new synthesizers.
So did Prince, the difference is they knew which preset to use in which role. In other words, they chose wisely and musically. 😏
They also got the gear before everyone else did.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

User avatar
zoidkirb
Posts: 492
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
Location: Brisbane Australia

Post 25 Nov 2020

The Beatles had the luxury of 4 dudes who had the chance to practice and play gigs constantly (full time career), had separate recording, mix, and master engineers as well as a dedicated producer aka 'fifth Beatle' so it's no wonder things had a good chance of turning out well.

Not a fan of the Beatles sound personally I think it's aged terribly, and the whole hard panned vocals thing went away for good reason. Can't deny the brilliant song writing of course.

However for solo music creators nowadays with limited time on their hands, Reason is their band, mixing, producing one stop shop, customers expect to see some QOL and added features to make things easier and more fun if they are expected to keep paying for updates.

But I'll still always agree with the idea of work with what you've got, and talent always beats gear .

User avatar
integerpoet
Posts: 18
Joined: 30 Dec 2020
Location: East Bay, California

Post 04 Jan 2021

selig wrote:
25 Nov 2020
fullforce wrote:
24 Nov 2020
Even Michael Jackson (or rather Quincy Jones) just took presets from the then-brand-new synthesizers.
So did Prince, the difference is they knew which preset to use in which role. In other words, they chose wisely and musically. 😏
Prince is also reputed to have done things like circuit-bend his drum machine because the knobs didn't turn far enough, which is kind of the opposite of punching up a preset.

He was also a big advocate of learning to play "real" instruments before touching digital toys and is widely regarded by world-class guitarists as the absolute top. No presets there.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this. I like me some Prince. Prince!

User avatar
sonicbyte
Posts: 277
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Argentina

Post 05 Jan 2021

Just follow him on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/ernstnathorst/

2chris
Posts: 40
Joined: 15 Mar 2019

Post 07 Jan 2021

The love for Ernst and some of the “reason can do no wrong” anecdote type stuff actually made me laugh out loud. Is this serious? Or am I not in on the joke? I love Reason, and it has provided me tons of joy - especially version 1. But this can’t be serious.

I was watching Ryan do his stream the other day on the Reason Studios YouTube channel, and it was the episode with Jeff Gibbons and they were both laughing about how bad and cheesy some of the early reason demos were, and how you could really hear a change in quality after a certain point. I tend to agree with that, and I stopped seriously using it after version 3 because I felt not developing VST support, midi in/out, and audio recording were becoming deal breakers for me upgrading. You’re welcome to think that was ground breaking, but I think it hurt the trajectory of the company by forsaking what most people wanted for so long.

I feel like version 10 was where they realized it was time to catch up with a few important features, and then 11 do something new with RRP and players that was kind of revolutionary.

I think sometimes when we look back, we have a tendency to disregard marginal work or stumbling blocks. It’s the same when people say one decade had the best music. What remains is the stuff that stood the test of time usually, and we don’t hear about all the other horrible stuff. I noticed nowhere did I hear about the Record fiasco or some of the other fun times like with a certain plugin problems that didn’t appear here. Reason was amazing early on and it’s aged nicely, but maybe don’t obsess about a guy that retired and remains as an owner of a company where they accomplished some cool stuff.

Will we see a post like this for Cubase next?

User avatar
integerpoet
Posts: 18
Joined: 30 Dec 2020
Location: East Bay, California

Post 07 Jan 2021

2chris wrote:
07 Jan 2021
I noticed nowhere did I hear about the Record fiasco…
I didn't perceive it as a fiasco. In fact, I vaguely remember being impressed at the time — from a software engineering perspective — that they folded it into Reason so nicely. I assume they didn't just throw out the code and start over; I suppose I could be wrong about that because I have no inside information and I wasn't reverse-engineering it or anything. But it looked that way superficially, so from my perspective the whole era was just a few changes in marketing direction which didn't affect me much and culminated in the single app I'd wanted in the first place. I'd be interested to hear what others thought would qualify as a "fiasco".

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 646
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 08 Jan 2021

integerpoet wrote:
07 Jan 2021
2chris wrote:
07 Jan 2021
I noticed nowhere did I hear about the Record fiasco…
I didn't perceive it as a fiasco. In fact, I vaguely remember being impressed at the time — from a software engineering perspective — that they folded it into Reason so nicely. I assume they didn't just throw out the code and start over; I suppose I could be wrong about that because I have no inside information and I wasn't reverse-engineering it or anything. But it looked that way superficially, so from my perspective the whole era was just a few changes in marketing direction which didn't affect me much and culminated in the single app I'd wanted in the first place. I'd be interested to hear what others thought would qualify as a "fiasco".
Having only been using Reason since v10 I always wonder how it was like when Record came out as a separate product & then was merged into Reason with v6 I think?

Compared to that, the current "controversies" regarding Suite and whether to buy RS' rack extensions separately or wait until they're included for free in next version / next Suite; seem trivial ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Baylo
Posts: 81
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 08 Jan 2021

antic604 wrote:
08 Jan 2021

Having only been using Reason since v10 I always wonder how it was like when Record came out as a separate product & then was merged into Reason with v6 I think?

Compared to that, the current "controversies" regarding Suite and whether to buy RS' rack extensions separately or wait until they're included for free in next version / next Suite; seem trivial ;) :D
It was a bit odd, but not complicated.

As I recall, you simply had two applications: Reason and Record. If you wanted to use Reason, then that’s what you launched and you got all the midi device goodness. If you wanted to do audio recording then you launched Record and you got something that looked like Reason but was audio tracks and had a big mixer. If you launched Record and then, while it was open, launched Reason, too, then you got an integrated product that looked similar to what we see today.

Then when everything was merged in v6 there was a “pay what you want” upgrade period, which smoothed over some of the Reason+Record transition politics as well as, I think, switching to better copy protection (or maybe that was introduced with Record.... Long time ago now!)

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], vmi and 2 guests