upgrading too soon ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
iamthor4

18 Nov 2020

hi just bought reason 3 cheap with the intention of upgrading it , im using the 11 trial at the mo , question should i upgrade to 11 or wait for 12 as it seems it should be just around the corner , and this hi res thing wil it be in 12 or in a point update like vst was cheers

deeplink
Competition Winner

18 Nov 2020

Maybe there will be BF special so upgrade then
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

antic604

18 Nov 2020

iamthor4 wrote:
18 Nov 2020
hi just bought reason 3 cheap with the intention of upgrading it , im using the 11 trial at the mo , question should i upgrade to 11 or wait for 12 as it seems it should be just around the corner , and this hi res thing wil it be in 12 or in a point update like vst was cheers
Why you think it's "around the corner"? High-res update, which will definitely NOT be a 11.x, is labeled as 2021 and considering they've only recently started the work I'd rather expect it to be 2nd half of the year :(

But also, wait for discount on ugrades and then... go to Audio Deluxe or JRR. Both gonna be cheaper, especially if you're in Europe.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

fieldframe
RE Developer

18 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
18 Nov 2020
High-res update, which will definitely NOT be a 11.x, is labeled as 2021 and considering they've only recently started the work I'd rather expect it to be 2nd half of the year :(.
No guarantees (especially in light of Ableton having just skipped 10.2 and gone straight to 11), but based on past practices, hiDPI support appears to be on track for an 11.x release.

The reason for this is that Reason Studios has never in its history given progress updates on functionality coming in a new major version, while they have for significant point releases (most notably the 10.3 performance update). So while hiDPI could still be a Reason 12 feature, it would be very unlike RS to have pre-announced it a year in advance and given various confirmations that it’s in development. Major-version features have always stayed under wraps until the major version itself is announced.

iamthor4

18 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
18 Nov 2020
iamthor4 wrote:
18 Nov 2020
Why you think it's "around the corner"? High-res update, which will definitely NOT be a 11.x, is labeled as 2021 and considering they've only recently started the work I'd rather expect it to be 2nd half of the year :(

But also, wait for discount on ugrades and then... go to Audio Deluxe or JRR. Both gonna be cheaper, especially if you're in Europe.
i guess if its that far away then ill upgrade now , thanks ill check those shops out gonna wait until black friday hopefully get a little discount

iamthor4

18 Nov 2020

and yes in in the uk

iamthor4

18 Nov 2020

fieldframe wrote:
18 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
18 Nov 2020
High-res update, which will definitely NOT be a 11.x, is labeled as 2021 and considering they've only recently started the work I'd rather expect it to be 2nd half of the year :(.
No guarantees (especially in light of Ableton having just skipped 10.2 and gone straight to 11), but based on past practices, hiDPI support appears to be on track for an 11.x release.

The reason for this is that Reason Studios has never in its history given progress updates on functionality coming in a new major version, while they have for significant point releases (most notably the 10.3 performance update). So while hiDPI could still be a Reason 12 feature, it would be very unlike RS to have pre-announced it a year in advance and given various confirmations that it’s in development. Major-version features have always stayed under wraps until the major version itself is announced.
that would be great i hope your right

iamthor4

18 Nov 2020

deeplink wrote:
18 Nov 2020
yeah im holding out for that

BRIGGS

18 Nov 2020

iamthor4 wrote:
18 Nov 2020
deeplink wrote:
18 Nov 2020
yeah im holding out for that
I'm trialing R11, too...so, yeah, a sale would be awesome! :puf_smile:
r11s

buddard
RE Developer

18 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
18 Nov 2020
Got any sources that say that they "only recently started the work", or are you presenting your own assumptions as facts?

Creativemind

18 Nov 2020

buddard wrote:
18 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
18 Nov 2020
Got any sources that say that they "only recently started the work", or are you presenting your own assumptions as facts?
Yeah (from memory) Mattias said they were working on it about 3 months ago or more, so in something like July or August he said that, possibly June. I expect it's release before the years out.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

PhillipOrdonez

18 Nov 2020

They've been working on it for at least a few months when they mentioned it here, I assume they'd been at it for a while long before announcing it. Others may assume they just started it when they announced it or even later. (🤷‍♂️)

It is bothersome that some assumptions are presented as facts. Language should be more mindfully used, especially these days of rampant misinformation having more reach than ever before in history.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

18 Nov 2020

They could have started with hi res right after the buffer size thing was completed. Perhaps even before as they seem to have done a lot of experimentation a while back with VSTs, with browser plugins, RE in HW, etc, who knows if they also played with high res back then.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

antic604

19 Nov 2020

buddard wrote:
18 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
18 Nov 2020
Depends how you define recently.

From what we know, they only started work on this earlier this year, which - considering they've been aware of the problem and at least the trajectory where they should be headed - is recently. One of Matthias most recent posts implies he saw high-res renders of "some" of the native devices, which means they're not ready for all of them even. This is "recently".
Music tech enthusiast.

EdGrip

19 Nov 2020

I'll bet a pound that hi-res is an 11.x update.

My reasoning is,
- it's been acknowledged for ages
- while it makes things easier on the eye, it doesn't add to or change the functioning of the software.
- the preview this week, while 11 is still fairly fresh, and the general sense that RS know they are behind the curve with graphics

antic604

19 Nov 2020

EdGrip wrote:
19 Nov 2020

My reasoning is,
- while it makes things easier on the eye, it doesn't add to or change the functioning of the software.
- the preview this week, while 11 is still fairly fresh, and the general sense that RS know they are behind the curve with graphics
I'm tempted to make a bet with you :D
Music tech enthusiast.

EdGrip

19 Nov 2020

Forgot one:
RS have a proud tradition of spicy .X updates.

antic604

19 Nov 2020

EdGrip wrote:
19 Nov 2020
Forgot one:
RS have a proud tradition of spicy .X updates.
Hope you're right, but considering the below post from just 9 days ago I highly doubt it's soon (or in 11.x).
MattiasHG wrote:
10 Nov 2020
Well, since that's pretty much exactly the truth: we're getting there. There's still a lot to do before I can comfortably say when it'll be done, but it's progressing well.

It's a big chunk of work because it includes many things. We're re-architecturing all of Reason to be GPU accelerated with a new graphics framework, designing how Reason and Rack Plugin will adapt to your resolution, preparing the Rack Extension build pipelines and distribution system, sorting out how compatibility between versions will work when REs have hi-res assets, re-making all Reason and native device assets that aren't already hi-res and so on. :)

I've seen some re-drawn native devices recently that look stellar, so I'm very much looking forward to it—just like you!
Music tech enthusiast.

EdGrip

19 Nov 2020

Well, that's why I only bet a pound. ;)

iamthor4

19 Nov 2020

EdGrip wrote:
19 Nov 2020
Well, that's why I only bet a pound. ;)
mate you could buy 4 pints of milk with that you rebel!

scratchnsnifff

19 Nov 2020

I was under the impression they had this going for them since the development of NN19. Is that not what the read me file said? either way the high res devices look so damn beautiful i just literally ran around my apartment like a mad man

antic604 wrote:
18 Nov 2020
iamthor4 wrote:
18 Nov 2020

Mayor of plucktown :evil:

guitfnky

19 Nov 2020

EdGrip wrote:
19 Nov 2020

My reasoning is,
I think you’re right (I’ve been convinced—previously expected it to come with 12). I think there actually could be more functionality tied to the GUI than we might think. they also know there are a lot of gripes about other areas of the GUI (mixer difficult to differentiate tracks/no “dark mode for it; not great frequency resolution in the spectrum EQ window; probably a whole bunch of stuff I can’t think of right now)—I think it would be a big missed opportunity if they don’t address some of that stuff along with the update. the fact that they’re allowing GPU to do most of that work I think may open some more doors too.

also, fun thing to wonder about—will they be replacing every single screenshot in the manual(s)? 😳
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

guitfnky

19 Nov 2020

as for timing, I think they announced they were working on it pretty early this year. the fact that they’re sharing some teaser images makes me think it’s not really all that far off. if it comes in a point update, which I expect it will, I think we might expect it in the first half of 2021. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t be trying hard to put out a v12 by the end of next year.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

antic604

19 Nov 2020

Guys, I'd love to share your optimism :)
I'll be more than happy to be wrong!
Music tech enthusiast.

Electric-Metal

19 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
19 Nov 2020

I think you’re right (I’ve been convinced—previously expected it to come with 12). I think there actually could be more functionality tied to the GUI than we might think. they also know there are a lot of gripes about other areas of the GUI (mixer difficult to differentiate tracks/no “dark mode for it; not great frequency resolution in the spectrum EQ window; probably a whole bunch of stuff I can’t think of right now)—I think it would be a big missed opportunity if they don’t address some of that stuff along with the update.
Good point. Gives me hope this solves the issue of dragging the whole device when missing a knob/slider by one pixel.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

• Information