Holding out on Sale for Friktion?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1043
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 21 Nov 2020

iamthor4 wrote:
20 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
20 Nov 2020


Physical modelling, instead of samples - so they probably dont' sound as realistic, but you have much more control over the sound and expressions AND can make it sound NOT like string instrument, too.

Check this, for example:

yeah not my thing cheers bud
Trial it, you may change you mind.
R11 Suite

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2656
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 21 Nov 2020

Even though I found Friktion pretty cool when I trialed it, I'm not gonna buy it. Reason Studios has kind of shot themselves in the foot imo. Based on their history I'm just gonna assume every RE they release will eventually end up in a Reason uprade, a bundle or in a Suite version.

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 333
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 21 Nov 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
21 Nov 2020
Trial it, you may change you mind.
Lol, that's why I'm avoiding the trial. Even at current discount I'm not sure I need it, but I know I want it :D

How good it is for non-real (not sounding like violin, cello, etc.) sounds? Like for some weird basses, leads or pads? Can it even pull those out?
MPC One // A4 Mk1 // OT Mk1 + Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5547
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 21 Nov 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Nov 2020
Even though I found Friktion pretty cool when I trialed it, I'm not gonna buy it. Reason Studios has kind of shot themselves in the foot imo. Based on their history I'm just gonna assume every RE they release will eventually end up in a Reason uprade, a bundle or in a Suite version.
This, unfortunately.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 333
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 21 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020
TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Nov 2020
Even though I found Friktion pretty cool when I trialed it, I'm not gonna buy it. Reason Studios has kind of shot themselves in the foot imo. Based on their history I'm just gonna assume every RE they release will eventually end up in a Reason uprade, a bundle or in a Suite version.
This, unfortunately.
While understandable, this is also a wrong attitude. You might be waiting a year or two for the device to get added, while you could've been using it in dozens of tracks in the meantime.
MPC One // A4 Mk1 // OT Mk1 + Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2656
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 21 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020


This, unfortunately.
While understandable, this is also a wrong attitude. You might be waiting a year or two for the device to get added, while you could've been using it in dozens of tracks in the meantime.
I wouldn't say it's the "wrong" attitude. But I understand your point. Yes if you really want a device NOW, it sure can be worth spending the extra money just to not have to wait for it. I get that. But still RS way of doing things make me not want to buy their REs seperately.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5547
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 21 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020


This, unfortunately.
While understandable, this is also a wrong attitude. You might be waiting a year or two for the device to get added, while you could've been using it in dozens of tracks in the meantime.
If I had an RE for every time I heard someone say that. That’s the only thing that’s in first place over RTFM.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 333
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 21 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020


While understandable, this is also a wrong attitude. You might be waiting a year or two for the device to get added, while you could've been using it in dozens of tracks in the meantime.
If I had an RE for every time I heard someone say that. That’s the only thing that’s in first place over RTFM.
Doesn't make both of them any less true, though :)

Reading manuals and using what you buy is actually important.
MPC One // A4 Mk1 // OT Mk1 + Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2696
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 21 Nov 2020

using what you buy is a good thing, but the point is, he’s saying he’s not actually going to buy it, so that point is moot.

there’s nothing wrong with that “attitude”. clearly there’s not enough of a pressing need for him to buy it—if he felt compelled enough by the sounds and features in any particular device and felt it was something important to have right now, he’d buy it.

it’s the same approach many of us take. nothing wrong with that.

strangers
Posts: 543
Joined: 06 Mar 2017
Location: NJ

Post 21 Nov 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
21 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020


While understandable, this is also a wrong attitude. You might be waiting a year or two for the device to get added, while you could've been using it in dozens of tracks in the meantime.
I wouldn't say it's the "wrong" attitude. But I understand your point. Yes if you really want a device NOW, it sure can be worth spending the extra money just to not have to wait for it. I get that. But still RS way of doing things make me not want to buy their REs seperately.
You can find me in this boat, too. I recently upgraded from Reason 9.5 to 11 Suite. Seeing how many RS REs were included that were and still are separate REs to buy, I'm in no rush to buy Friktion. Do I need it? No. Would I have fun using it? Probably. Do I need it now? Nope.

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 333
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 21 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
21 Nov 2020
using what you buy is a good thing, but the point is, he’s saying he’s not actually going to buy it, so that point is moot.

there’s nothing wrong with that “attitude”. clearly there’s not enough of a pressing need for him to buy it—if he felt compelled enough by the sounds and features in any particular device and felt it was something important to have right now, he’d buy it.

it’s the same approach many of us take. nothing wrong with that.
It's not moot. There are 2 alternatives:
1) He's compelled to get it because he wants to use it here & now
2) He wants to have it just because

If he's in 1st, then he should get it now. If he's in 2nd, then he can wait indefinitely until its added to future Reason version for free.

The scenario you're making to say my point is moot - he can't use it, because he refuses to buy it - doesn't make logical sense! If he wants to use it, he should buy it. If he refuses to buy it, he doesn't want to use it.
MPC One // A4 Mk1 // OT Mk1 + Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5547
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 21 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
If he's in 2nd, then he can wait indefinitely until its added to future Reason version for free.
? That’s exactly what he said he was going to do.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 333
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 21 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
If he's in 2nd, then he can wait indefinitely until its added to future Reason version for free.
? That’s exactly what he said he was going to do.
But that is also what I said and he implied my point is moot. You can only complain about RS adding REs to future Reason versions if you're NOT planning to use that RE in the meantime. If you are, then you're gonna get your money's worth and you shouldn't complain. If you're not planning to use it, then you also shouldn't complain it's gonna be added in the future.
MPC One // A4 Mk1 // OT Mk1 + Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5547
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 21 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020


? That’s exactly what he said he was going to do.
But that is also what I said and he implied my point is moot. You can only complain about RS adding REs to future Reason versions if you're NOT planning to use that RE in the meantime. If you are, then you're gonna get your money's worth and you shouldn't complain. If you're not planning to use it, then you also shouldn't complain it's gonna be added in the future.
He didn't complain. He said he was going to wait with buying it because it would probably either land up in a bundle or be included in Reason as has happened in the past.
丰2ॐ

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 333
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 21 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020


But that is also what I said and he implied my point is moot. You can only complain about RS adding REs to future Reason versions if you're NOT planning to use that RE in the meantime. If you are, then you're gonna get your money's worth and you shouldn't complain. If you're not planning to use it, then you also shouldn't complain it's gonna be added in the future.
He didn't complain. He said he was going to wait with buying it because it would probably either land up in a bundle or be included in Reason as has happened in the past.
Not really. He implied he'd get it, if it wasn't for RS's track record including REs in future releases. That's a veiled complaint.
MPC One // A4 Mk1 // OT Mk1 + Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5547
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 21 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020


He didn't complain. He said he was going to wait with buying it because it would probably either land up in a bundle or be included in Reason as has happened in the past.
Not really. He implied he'd get it, if it wasn't for RS's track record including REs in future releases. That's a veiled complaint.
Or maybe that's just how you read it. Possible he didn't mean it that way either right? In which case he doesn't have a "wrong attitude" or?
丰2ॐ

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2696
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 21 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
...using what you buy is actually important.
other users, including myself: wrote:I'm not gonna buy it.
antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
...using what you buy is actually important.
other users, including myself: wrote:I'm not gonna buy it.
couldn’t possibly be more moot. :lol:

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 333
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 21 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
21 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
...using what you buy is actually important.
other users, including myself: wrote:I'm not gonna buy it.
antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
...using what you buy is actually important.
other users, including myself: wrote:I'm not gonna buy it.
couldn’t possibly be more moot. :lol:
Let me guess. You skipped basic logic at school, did you? :D
MPC One // A4 Mk1 // OT Mk1 + Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 333
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 21 Nov 2020

MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020
antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020


Not really. He implied he'd get it, if it wasn't for RS's track record including REs in future releases. That's a veiled complaint.
Or maybe that's just how you read it. Possible he didn't mean it that way either right? In which case he doesn't have a "wrong attitude" or?
That's possible. True.

But as I outlined already, there are 2 alternatives and none of them requires leaving a comment like he did:

1) I want it right now to use it in my music, hence I don't care it will get included in 1-2 years for free. Nothing to complain about.

2) I don't need it, but it looks fun so I want to have it someday. I'll wait until it's added for free or heavily discounted. Nothing to complain about, again.

Anything else is looking for a reason to complain.
MPC One // A4 Mk1 // OT Mk1 + Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2696
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 21 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
guitfnky wrote:
21 Nov 2020








couldn’t possibly be more moot. :lol:
Let me guess. You skipped basic logic at school, did you? :D
ha, dude, I literally work logic problems for a living. if you don’t see how irrelevant your “point” is, I don’t know what to tell you.

User avatar
MrFigg
Posts: 5547
Joined: 20 Apr 2018

Post 21 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
MrFigg wrote:
21 Nov 2020


Or maybe that's just how you read it. Possible he didn't mean it that way either right? In which case he doesn't have a "wrong attitude" or?
That's possible. True.

But as I outlined already, there are 2 alternatives and none of them requires leaving a comment like he did:

1) I want it right now to use it in my music, hence I don't care it will get included in 1-2 years for free. Nothing to complain about.

2) I don't need it, but it looks fun so I want to have it someday. I'll wait until it's added for free or heavily discounted. Nothing to complain about, again.

Anything else is looking for a reason to complain.
ok
丰2ॐ

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 333
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 21 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
21 Nov 2020
ha, dude, I literally work logic problems for a living. if you don’t see how irrelevant your “point” is, I don’t know what to tell you.
I pity your employer.

You're making a straw man built from basic causal consequence - someone refuses to buy something, therefore they won't be using it. It's obvious. But that's not at all the point I'm making.
MPC One // A4 Mk1 // OT Mk1 + Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2696
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 21 Nov 2020

antic604 wrote:
21 Nov 2020
guitfnky wrote:
21 Nov 2020
ha, dude, I literally work logic problems for a living. if you don’t see how irrelevant your “point” is, I don’t know what to tell you.
I pity your employer.

You're making a straw man built from basic causal consequence - someone refuses to buy something, therefore they won't be using it. It's obvious. But that's not at all the point I'm making.
indeed, you’re not making much of a point at all. 🙃

User avatar
rgdaniel
Posts: 413
Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Location: Canada

Post 21 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
21 Nov 2020
I literally work logic problems for a living.
That's awesome.
I have a philosophy degree, and the best I could manage was to work logic problems as a hobby.
And the occasional Sudoku...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... l=en&gl=US

User avatar
tt_lab
Posts: 305
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 21 Nov 2020

I want it right now, but I'm not going to buy it because I know RS is going to include it with some update/bundle in the future. I'm not complaining. Just stating facts based in precedent. :>|

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Ahornberg, CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests