Control Automation from outside Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
raccoonboy

13 Nov 2020

Hi all

So. Not sure if this is possible.

Let's say I want to control the Attack of a Synth from outside Reason. Attack varies from 2ms to 10s..
That is probably 1000s of possible settings. So a simple (7-bit) MIDI message here won't suffice as 128 values is not enough. The other problem is, even if I were to use some sort of 14-bit MIDI, pitch bend or something similar, I wouldn't know what the values are. How am I to know that value (e.g.) 1000 is 27ms.

Obviously when I use the automation lane this is as easy as pie, but is there a way to do this externally somehow? Choose exact values of any amount from outside Reason, via MIDI or otherwise?

thanks

rmtcvolte

14 Nov 2020

Hi, you can do this with some limitations.

First of, the remote sdk makes it possible to send out a text string that is called "item_name_and_value", for example “Level: -3 db” or “Pan: -12”, if you have a programmable display per encoder you can make use of it. But this works only with re´s and it is the same what you can see in the tooltip, when moving a knob with the mouse. Vst´s output is in 00.0% format, like for the threshold on Waves L2 it is "Thresh Slider 100,0%" at "0,0". Hope this make sense.

For the resolution of an encoder, I use 1024 steps (14bit with min=0, max=1023) this is the resolution of the ssl-mixer channel fader, this is enough for me in most cases. For the above Waves L2, it`s in "0,1" step from 0,0 to 30,0 -> 300 steps, way less than 1024.

raccoonboy

15 Dec 2020

rmtcvolte wrote:
14 Nov 2020
Hi, you can do this with some limitations.

First of, the remote sdk makes it possible to send out a text string that is called "item_name_and_value", for example “Level: -3 db” or “Pan: -12”, if you have a programmable display per encoder you can make use of it. But this works only with re´s and it is the same what you can see in the tooltip, when moving a knob with the mouse. Vst´s output is in 00.0% format, like for the threshold on Waves L2 it is "Thresh Slider 100,0%" at "0,0". Hope this make sense.

For the resolution of an encoder, I use 1024 steps (14bit with min=0, max=1023) this is the resolution of the ssl-mixer channel fader, this is enough for me in most cases. For the above Waves L2, it`s in "0,1" step from 0,0 to 30,0 -> 300 steps, way less than 1024.
Thanks for this. This is what I wanted to know.

I'm quite new to programming. Is it hard to use remote sdk? I have a little python experience. Are there guides online etc? I take it it's on the props website somewhere.

rmtcvolte

15 Dec 2020

https://developer.reasonstudios.com/dow ... r-products

Idk if it is hard for you. A little knowledge about Lua is needed, but it should be not to difficult to find resources all over the net.

djsmex

17 Dec 2020

Just as a side note, if you program web code, you can use things like webmidi.js together with the reason remote & loopback to interface between your midi hardware and reason remote.
see this quick video proof of concept where I use this tech.

• Information