The Reason 1.0 Contest

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chaosroyale
Posts: 483
Joined: 05 Sep 2017

Post 16 Nov 2020

Strawmans gonna strawman.

Last time I checked Reason was not still on version 1, so obviously they don't think it was good enough 20 years ago. What version are you on? Why don't you only use version 1 if that's better?
There is no relevant point of comparison between a company not updating its software, and musicians enjoying using classic pieces of gear from the 70's. Also, have you noticed how Yamaha don't make the DX7 any more? That was a classic, so why didn't they just stop doing R&D there?

One of my favorite albums is solo voice only. By your analogy, there is no market for guitars, or synths, or any kind of instrument, right?

EDIT; my reply looks a little aggressive so lemme tone it down a bit - I absolutely agree that old synths and fx can be awesome. And as an exercise it could be interesting for some people to try setting a limit for a piece of music, only use 4 channels, don't use any samples, or whatever. I love Amigas and chiptune and all that jazz, so my issue is not with some kind of "top spec" snobbery, either. My issue is with the promotion of Reason as a dead software museum from 20 years ago, to appeal to people who get nostalgic about 4-track cassettes.
Loque wrote:
16 Nov 2020
chaosroyale wrote:
16 Nov 2020
Do you really wanna keep promoting the image that Reason is something from 20 years ago, for nostalgic old guys living in the past, not a modern ongoing tool for contemporary music makers...
...
I agree so far. All those old dudes wanting analog synths, retro EQs and compressors, Mic emulations, pre-amps that "humm" and all that crap from the 60s to the 90s are just a bunch of ignorant guys, not liking the clean modern sound of an alias free digital synth with pure digital effects :lol: :thumbs_up:

</sarcasm>

I think its interesting to try to get something awesome out of old synths and fx. One of my favorite albums was made with only one ("1" !!!) synth of the seventies. Check it out if you like:

User avatar
adfielding
Posts: 796
Joined: 19 May 2015

Post 16 Nov 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
16 Nov 2020
My issue is with the promotion of Reason as a dead software museum from 20 years ago, to appeal to people who get nostalgic about 4-track cassettes.
I'm not getting that vibe at all - and I'm certainly not old enough to fall into the latter category! I'm seeing it as a celebration of where Reason started, and how it compares to where it is now.

edit: I'd love to see Ableton and Steinberg (especially Steinberg!) do something similar because I bet it'd be fascinating.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1941
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 16 Nov 2020

Yes for Steinberg Pro 12 on the ST :-)

Why do we have to be so serious all the time? Nihilism is a hell of a drug.

User avatar
supersplaron
Reason Studios
Posts: 121
Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Location: Stockholm

Post 16 Nov 2020

We just announced the song challenge in our blog. Check it out. :)

https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/reas ... -challenge

And don't miss Ryan's video:

Can't wait to hear what you come up with! :)

chaosroyale
Posts: 483
Joined: 05 Sep 2017

Post 16 Nov 2020

I don't disagree here. ..but...
adfielding wrote:
16 Nov 2020

edit: I'd love to see Ableton and Steinberg (especially Steinberg!) do something similar because I bet it'd be fascinating.
Untitled-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Electric-Metal
Posts: 649
Joined: 10 Dec 2015
Location: Landstuhl, Germany

Post 16 Nov 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
16 Nov 2020
I don't disagree here. ..but...
adfielding wrote:
16 Nov 2020

edit: I'd love to see Ableton and Steinberg (especially Steinberg!) do something similar because I bet it'd be fascinating.
Untitled-1.jpg
Well, for a fair comparision there should at least be Europa instead of Subtractor in the right hand pic, imho.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

chaosroyale
Posts: 483
Joined: 05 Sep 2017

Post 16 Nov 2020

Guilty as charged.

Subtractor is still one of the best-designed virtual synths ever, and it could be cool if someone does a whole track using ONLY that, for drums and everything. I'd rather RS were looking forwards, not backwards, that's all.
bxbrkrz wrote:
16 Nov 2020
Yes for Steinberg Pro 12 on the ST :-)

Why do we have to be so serious all the time? Nihilism is a hell of a drug.

chaosroyale
Posts: 483
Joined: 05 Sep 2017

Post 16 Nov 2020

Why? did they update Redrum and Subtractor and the GUI when I wasn't looking?

(also..it's not supposed to be "fair", it's supposed to be making a satirical point.)
Electric-Metal wrote:
16 Nov 2020
chaosroyale wrote:
16 Nov 2020
I don't disagree here. ..but...



Untitled-1.jpg
Well, for a fair comparision there should at least be Europa instead of Subtractor in the right hand pic, imho.

User avatar
Billy
Posts: 582
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 16 Nov 2020

I think it's a testament to Reason that V1 and V11 look and feel the same and I hope they keep it that way for the next twenty years
:ignition: :reason: :refill: :re: :rebirth: :PUF_figure: :nektar: :mac: :EiEPro: :Alesis Mk2:

chaosroyale
Posts: 483
Joined: 05 Sep 2017

Post 16 Nov 2020

See, this is why we can't have nice things. ;)
Billy wrote:
16 Nov 2020
I think it's a testament to Reason that V1 and V11 look and feel the same and I hope they keep it that way for the next twenty years

User avatar
Billy
Posts: 582
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 16 Nov 2020

This is why props doesn't listen to the forum
:lol:
chaosroyale wrote:
16 Nov 2020
See, this is why we can't have nice things. ;)
Billy wrote:
16 Nov 2020
I think it's a testament to Reason that V1 and V11 look and feel the same and I hope they keep it that way for the next twenty years
I've used Reason since V1, It looked super sexy then and twenty years later she's still the sexiest DAW out there.
:ignition: :reason: :refill: :re: :rebirth: :PUF_figure: :nektar: :mac: :EiEPro: :Alesis Mk2:

scotward57
Posts: 20
Joined: 28 Jul 2019

Post 16 Nov 2020

Billy wrote:
16 Nov 2020
This is why props doesn't listen to the forum
:lol:
chaosroyale wrote:
16 Nov 2020
See, this is why we can't have nice things. ;)

I've used Reason since V1, It looked super sexy then and twenty years later she's still the sexiest DAW out there.
I miss the old transport bar. A lot of apps now have the flat look, thanks to Ableton.

User avatar
EsotericSound
Posts: 89
Joined: 17 Feb 2016

Post 16 Nov 2020

Uploaded. Looking forward to listening to everyone's contribution.

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1043
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 16 Nov 2020

EsotericSound wrote:
16 Nov 2020
Uploaded. Looking forward to listening to everyone's contribution.
same :puf_smile:
R11 Suite

User avatar
supersplaron
Reason Studios
Posts: 121
Joined: 15 Jan 2016
Location: Stockholm

Post 17 Nov 2020

Just listened to your submission, BRIGGS! 💪

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1043
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 17 Nov 2020

supersplaron wrote:
17 Nov 2020
Just listened to your submission, BRIGGS! 💪
:puf_smile: awesome!
R11 Suite

User avatar
ryanharlin
Reason Studios
Posts: 157
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 17 Nov 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
17 Nov 2020
supersplaron wrote:
17 Nov 2020
Just listened to your submission, BRIGGS! 💪
:puf_smile: awesome!
Yeah it sounds great AND you win some kind of authenticity bonus for wiring straight into the hardware interface without a single mix channel. :ugeek:

User avatar
BRIGGS
Posts: 1043
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Location: Orange County California

Post 17 Nov 2020

ryanharlin wrote:
17 Nov 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
17 Nov 2020


:puf_smile: awesome!
Yeah it sounds great AND you win some kind of authenticity bonus for wiring straight into the hardware interface without a single mix channel. :ugeek:
Oh, you! Thanks! :puf_smile:
R11 Suite

OverneathTheSkyBridg
Posts: 306
Joined: 15 Jan 2016

Post 17 Nov 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
11 Nov 2020
How would one know which of the sounds are from v1 and not from subsequent versions? Or the patches? Sounds super inconvenient.

You couldn't even play individual Dr rex slices? Lol I'm out.
I think you could play the individual slices in the original, but I'd appreciate more clarification from Ryan on what parameters from Octo Rex were not around during Dr Rex days. I'll probably just stay away from REX loops altogether and focus on the other devices.

arnigretar
Posts: 7
Joined: 15 May 2020

Post 17 Nov 2020

supersplaron wrote:
16 Nov 2020
arnigretar wrote:
14 Nov 2020
Just fired up my G3 machine with my Reason 1.0 :reason:

Image
Oh, that's super nice! Do you mind if we share this to our socials?
Sorry I just saw that reply now, but you guys are more than welcome as always. All the best :reason:

Popey
Posts: 290
Joined: 04 Jul 2018

Post 19 Nov 2020

I take it we can use any drum samples in redrum etc or does it have to be stuff from reason soundbank at version 1.0? If its soundbank only what does this include as I did not own it then.

veezay
Posts: 21
Joined: 28 May 2020
Location: Finland

Post 20 Nov 2020

I wasn't initially going to make anything for this, but I started on tuesday and I'm glad I did! Just finished and sent it in.

It was fun to realize/remember how much better Reason got after just getting Spiders, MClass effects, Combinator, Scream 4 and Thor. Subtractor's lovely DC offset with phase modulation eating up headroom, COMP-01 behaving like a difficult teenager, having to use Mixer 14:2 every time you want to split a signal... life was definitely challenging back then but still so much fun!

User avatar
Aosta
Posts: 439
Joined: 26 Jun 2017

Post 20 Nov 2020

I'm also wondering about what is allowed to be used in things like the NN19, Redrum and Dr Rex.
Can you use any outside sample source or patch? Also can we use external refills like 1001 subtractor patches or do we stick to the FSB or own patch creations?
Tend the flame

veezay
Posts: 21
Joined: 28 May 2020
Location: Finland

Post 20 Nov 2020

Aosta wrote:
20 Nov 2020
I'm also wondering about what is allowed to be used in things like the NN19, Redrum and Dr Rex.
Can you use any outside sample source or patch? Also can we use external refills like 1001 subtractor patches or do we stick to the FSB or own patch creations?
I went with "yes", as the challenge page on reasonstudios.com states "remember that audio tracks weren't around in Reason 1 so if you need any audio, you need to get creative" and the submit page reminds us to self-contain any samples that were used. I compromised and didn't use any of my own samples but allowed myself to use anything from the v10 Factory Sound Bank and Reason Drum and Loop Supplies, but nothing seems to explicitly state that recording audio and playing that back in a sampler would not be allowed. As long as it's not an audio track in the sequencer, it's okay.

As for patches for the available devices, I'm sure they're fine. After all they were possible in Reason 1.0 as well (apart from tempo syncing LFOs, but I don't think the jury will be that anal).

User avatar
aeox
Posts: 2775
Joined: 23 Feb 2017

Post 20 Nov 2020

Didn't know about this until yesterday but I figured I'd give it a shot. If anything to improve. Not going to lie, it's a shocker trying to make music in this fashion for me. But in the process I felt engaged and as if I was learning more about production just by forcing limitations.

Now I'll probably reach for the classic devices in my future productions. The track didn't even blip the DSP meter at all, wonderful :D

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 4 guests