Total noob question regarding piano roll

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dfwpiper

10 Nov 2020

I've been playing around in Reason for a few years now just experimenting with sounds. I don't consider myself much of a musician. I'm just more interested in the experimentation aspect.

Anyway, I've loaded an AIF file into the Grain Sample Manipulator. I love the sound I'm achieving but it appears that I can't drop the playhead randomly to listen back to certain portions of the recording unless I start from when a note is placed on the piano roll/sequencer. For example, I started out with one note and sustained the sample for roughly a minute. I'd like to jump to the 30 second mark to see how it's sounding but I can only play it from the beginning and listen the entire way through to preview it.

I'm assuming this is built this way for a reason and it's my lack of knowledge in production software and synthesizers in general. Can anyone explain why this is and if there is anyway to listen back to a song using the playhead at any point?

Thanks in advance!

Electric-Metal

10 Nov 2020

dfwpiper wrote:
10 Nov 2020
I've been playing around in Reason for a few years now just experimenting with sounds. I don't consider myself much of a musician. I'm just more interested in the experimentation aspect.

Anyway, I've loaded an AIF file into the Grain Sample Manipulator. I love the sound I'm achieving but it appears that I can't drop the playhead randomly to listen back to certain portions of the recording unless I start from when a note is placed on the piano roll/sequencer. For example, I started out with one note and sustained the sample for roughly a minute. I'd like to jump to the 30 second mark to see how it's sounding but I can only play it from the beginning and listen the entire way through to preview it.

I'm assuming this is built this way for a reason and it's my lack of knowledge in production software and synthesizers in general. Can anyone explain why this is and if there is anyway to listen back to a song using the playhead at any point?

Thanks in advance!
What you're asking for called something like midi chase if I'm not mistaken. Would be a very welcome feature for me also. What you can do is bounce to audio so you can listen from any point you want.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

• Information