Replace Utility by dragging over a new utility?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2020

When I create an Instrument, Effect or Player I can replace them with a different device just by dragging it over on top of the old one. Just noticed I can't do that with Utilities. Never noticed that before. That's by design right?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

drk73

25 Oct 2020

That's by design right?
For sure.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2020

When you think about it, it would be wrong to just replace one utility with another one as the wiring on the back will have no idea what ports are what and if you could drop one on top of another you would just lose your existing wiring. I think that was a good design choice.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

29 Oct 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
26 Oct 2020
When you think about it, it would be wrong to just replace one utility with another one as the wiring on the back will have no idea what ports are what and if you could drop one on top of another you would just lose your existing wiring. I think that was a good design choice.
Exactly.
Just think about for example replacing an effect or an instrument, you have inputs and outputs and that's it. So most times you replace a stereo effect by another stereo effect and wiring is exactly the same. But if you replace a 14:2 by a spider, the spider has 1:4 and 4:1 connections so how will reason adapt wiring between both devices?

But even in instruments, I think only stereo wiring is maintained. Imagine replacing a Kong that has connections from 1-2 to 15-6 with a red rum, it will probably reconnect redrum as a stereo device.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Oct 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
26 Oct 2020
Sorry Carly, just saw this now. And yes, of course you’re right. That’ll be the reason. :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information