Removing audible crackle when using the Razor Tool to Split audio clips?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Aggie

24 Oct 2020

I've spent a while looking for this exact scenario on the forum - some are close, but not the same. Every time I use the Razor Tool to split a part of my Audio Track, there is a crackle in the play back, between the resulting 2 Clips. Even if I have done nothing with the 2 audio parts - I haven't moved them or anything- just hit the Razor Tool and created a Split on the Audio Clip - it's always there. I've tried some remedies like changing the Sample Rate and applying Fade Out/Fade In per Slice but the crackle is always there. Even when I Join the 2 clips - without making any changes - there is still a crackle at the point where the Split was. This happens every time with any Audio clip and it's driving me crackers because I feel I am pretty conversant with Reason - and this one sounds like some sort of schoolboy error.

Thanks for any pointers!
Adam
Adam Gill | BandLab

guitfnky

24 Oct 2020

sounds like something you might want to report to RS. I’ve never experienced that behavior after going through that many hoops, and definitely never that consistently. could be a bug.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Aggie

24 Oct 2020

In the clip provided from my Google Drive - if you play it loud enough - you can hear 2 crackles:

The first one occurs just after the Razor Clip split - ("...in your eyes... :crackle:")
The second one ("...see the thorn :crackle: twist in your side...") is where I had already applied a Razor Clip split and then Joined it together again.

This clip runs twice so you can (hopefully!) hear what I mean:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jewqar ... sp=sharing

Thanks,
Adam
Adam Gill | BandLab

Aggie

24 Oct 2020

guitfnky wrote:
24 Oct 2020
sounds like something you might want to report to RS. I’ve never experienced that behavior after going through that many hoops, and definitely never that consistently. could be a bug.
Maybe - if it is a genuine issue. Not sure that it might just be me(?)
Adam Gill | BandLab

BRIGGS

24 Oct 2020

I have the same experience. I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

IIRC Ableton live automatically fades clips.
r11s

guitfnky

24 Oct 2020

Aggie wrote:
24 Oct 2020
In the clip provided from my Google Drive - if you play it loud enough - you can hear 2 crackles:

The first one occurs just after the Razor Clip split - ("...in your eyes... :crackle:")
The second one ("...see the thorn :crackle: twist in your side...") is where I had already applied a Razor Clip split and then Joined it together again.

Thanks,
Adam
hmm, are you 100% certain it's not in your guitar track? the first pop I'm hearing is pretty clearly after the split in the clips in the video, and it looks like the waveform for it also has a transient there, which could be the pop you're hearing. do you still hear the pops when the vocal is soloed?

that sort of thing happens a lot, in my experience--where you hear something off, and it sounds like it's being caused by one instrument, but it turns out to be something totally different. happened to me last week working on a track for my band where I would have sworn the guitar take I'd done had a wrong note. after a few minutes of searching (nope, not the guitar, nope, not the bass, nope, not the synth line, etc), I tracked it down to a foul note in the scratch piano track.

Aggie

24 Oct 2020

guitfnky wrote:
24 Oct 2020
Aggie wrote:
24 Oct 2020

Thanks,
Adam
hmm, are you 100% certain it's not in your guitar track? the first pop I'm hearing is pretty clearly after the split in the clips in the video, and it looks like the waveform for it also has a transient there, which could be the pop you're hearing. do you still hear the pops when the vocal is soloed?

that sort of thing happens a lot, in my experience--where you hear something off, and it sounds like it's being caused by one instrument, but it turns out to be something totally different. happened to me last week working on a track for my band where I would have sworn the guitar take I'd done had a wrong note. after a few minutes of searching (nope, not the guitar, nope, not the bass, nope, not the synth line, etc), I tracked it down to a foul note in the scratch piano track.
Thanks for your considerations - but both audio tracks have no crackles. I checked them both in Audacity. The crackles are being introduced when I splice the audio using the Razor Tool. Trust me on this one! :D
Adam Gill | BandLab

guitfnky

24 Oct 2020

Aggie wrote:
24 Oct 2020
guitfnky wrote:
24 Oct 2020

Thanks for your considerations - but both audio tracks have no crackles. I checked them both in Audacity. The crackles are being introduced when I splice the audio using the Razor Tool. Trust me on this one! :D
I believe you--just trying to rule stuff out. have you tried opening the clip in comp mode to see what's going on there?

Ottostrom

24 Oct 2020

Been experiencing this issue for a long time as well!
Thank god they finally added an easy crossfade for audio (which doesn't require the use of comp mode) cause that fixes these sort of crackles quickly. I would still much prefer if they didn't happen to begin with, so maybe it would be worth reporting?

nooomy

24 Oct 2020

Its because you cut the soundwave not at 0.

If you cut a soundwave somwhere elese than 0 it creates a crackle.

Add 1 ms fade and it should go away

miyaru

24 Oct 2020

All has to do with this topic I started: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7519800
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

guitfnky

24 Oct 2020

it doesn’t have to do with splitting at a zero crossing—the OP said fades aren’t working. if you apply a fade in/out to the clips, there’s no need to split at a zero crossing. assuming the clips have a gap, at least—if the clips are overlapping, its possible to end up with pops even if you’re doing a crossfade, depending on where you’re setting your crossfade points.

Aggie

24 Oct 2020

I tried a short gap (0.0.0.6) between clips - it still has a crackle between them.
Adam Gill | BandLab

Aggie

25 Oct 2020

Updates:

I was able to remove the first crackle/artefact by creating a second Audio Track and moving the Razor Sliced track to the same position, with the same settings, onto the second Track.

The second crackle/artefact was actually within the guitar audio, which I eventually isolated with Audacity - I had to re-record it. What I found was - if you are using a PC/MAC to record Audio - you have to ensure that you DO NOTHING ELSE ON YOUR PC/MAC whilst you are recording via an onboard Sound Device. Opening or accessing any other Applications can create a crackle/artefact in the recorded Audio, as the Sound Driver (which is in use!) switches to another Application.

Thanks everyone for your inputs - I hope these tips help someone :D

Adam
Adam Gill | BandLab

Aggie

25 Oct 2020

There is still one artefact left on it, but I didn't want to mess with it too much:

https://www.bandlab.com/adamgill1965/wi ... 1ac5b31de6
Adam Gill | BandLab

selig
RE Developer

25 Oct 2020

As I understand it, any audio that is simply razor'ed will create this glitch, right? But I cannot recreate it on my end. Can you re-create the effect in a simple song file? For example, if you record one guitar chord that rings out, and razor the clip into two at some mid point, do you hear a glitch? Or is there something else involved in the audio like sample rate changes or slice/editing/tuning/stretching going on?
Selig Audio, LLC

Aggie

25 Oct 2020

selig wrote:
25 Oct 2020
As I understand it, any audio that is simply razor'ed will create this glitch, right? But I cannot recreate it on my end. Can you re-create the effect in a simple song file? For example, if you record one guitar chord that rings out, and razor the clip into two at some mid point, do you hear a glitch? Or is there something else involved in the audio like sample rate changes or slice/editing/tuning/stretching going on?
I didn't make any changes after the razor cut. But I did move the second clip a few notches and it overlapped the first clip. I suspect this is where the glitch came from.
Adam Gill | BandLab

guitfnky

25 Oct 2020

Aggie wrote:
25 Oct 2020
selig wrote:
25 Oct 2020
I didn't make any changes after the razor cut. But I did move the second clip a few notches and it overlapped the first clip. I suspect this is where the glitch came from.
ah yeah, that’s probably it. if you’re overlapping clips like that, I think you need to be a bit careful even if you’re crossfading—depending on the clips, you need to make sure there’s audio in both clips that lasts the entire duration of the fade—meaning, if your second clip starts fading in before there’s any recorded audio for it to fade, you can end up with a pop. on the flip side, same thing goes if your first clip ends before the fade out has completed.

sort of hard to explain in text, but hopefully that makes sense.

• Information