Audio Glitches

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
freehand

22 Oct 2020

I'm getting audio glitches that sound like buffer underruns, but please consider these details:

Problem occurs on three different machines - one brand new i7 9700 running Win 10, one older i7 running Win 10 and one older i5 running Win 7
Problem occurs on three different interfaces (tried each on all three machines): NI Audio 4, NI Komplete 6 mk2 (brand new), Echo Audiofire 4

Interestingly, it does appear to be buffer related - the new NI Komplete 6 brings them down, but doesn't eliminate them. I have adjusted the buffer from
32 up to 512 samples and it has an effect, but still a problem at all settings. My newest machine gets 2.5ms latency on the Komplete 6 with 128 sample
buffer and in "Safe Mode", but even with ultra high buffer the problem persists.

The problem also occurs when using Reason VST rack within Reaper, although not as much.
I am now experimenting with using Reaper with only NON Reason VSTs, and so far I haven't been able to recreate the problem.

This is heartbreaking - is Reason's sound / ASIO interface glitchy for some people? The Reason VST Rack has breathed new life
into the product for people like me who want to finally contain all composition work to a single DAW (Reaper for me). I've been
loyal to Reason for so long - I don't want to abandon it, but I have no choice now but to get better acquainted with NI Komplete's
instruments and their weird and far less intuitive interfaces.. :(

Loque

22 Oct 2020

To answer your question: No, i dont have any problems, drop outs or audio glitches.
Reason12, Win10

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2020

What sample rate are you running?

guitfnky

26 Oct 2020

any chance you’re using ASIO4ALL? I’ve had similar issues in the past using it.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

freehand

27 Oct 2020

Using stock ASIO from each interface's driver. Tried ASIO4ALL and yeah.. no good.

Running 96k, but I've tried lower when troubleshooting which improved it, but didn't fix it.
However, I'm not about to accept that I can't use 96k audio as a solution. I've been using
96k audio for nearly 20 years. I'm on a brand new i7 9700 with interfaces that go up to
192k.

It's weird that some things *help*, but don't entirely fix the problem. Makes it look like
a system resource issue. But my CPU isn't even coming close to breaking a sweat.
10% utilization with a bunch of Reason and Native Komplete instruments and effects
running.

The most effective thing has been cranking my buffer to 512 samples. Usually seems to
fix it although it still crops up here and there. Thankfully I still get 6ms latency even at

I've always found Reason really good on resources - has anyone found that to be different
with version 11+? What kind of systems are you running? Latency?

Loque

27 Oct 2020

No, it feels even faster. I have an 8086.

Did you turned performance system settings to high?
Reason12, Win10

miyaru

27 Oct 2020

Are you using Sonarworks Reference 4 newest Beta? The room correction software? I have the newest Beta, and I have to manually shut down systemwide to use the VST plug in. Otherwhise the run next to each other and cause pops and clicks.

I have a focusrite Scarlett and an "old" i7-7700 and no problems whatsoever wheb I use Reason Rack in Ableton Live Suite 10.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

miyaru

27 Oct 2020

Loque wrote:
27 Oct 2020
No, it feels even faster. I have an 8086.

Did you turned performance system settings to high?
I thought you had a ZX 80 spectrum........ :thumbup:
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

freehand

13 Dec 2020

UPDATE: I've just added 3rd gen Scarlett Solo to the list of interfaces I've tried with the same result - 44.1 is usually okay, but anything from 48 - 96k brings horrible audio glitches.

Loque - Which Windows settings are you referring to for performance? Do you normally use 96 khz setting in Reason?

My main i7 9700k desktop with the Echo interface has been well behaved. With the buffer set to 512 samples, it seems to work fine.

But my two other machines (i5 and i7 laptops) are a problem because I use them for live jamming, and they always after some
period of time, start spitting these crackles out.

The length of time is a huge factor - all of these systems start out fine, and then after some time begin to get worse and worse.
So I'm not completely sure even my desktop is safe from this problem. It could be that I've never run the audio continuously
enough for it to show up.

Loque

14 Dec 2020

freehand wrote:
13 Dec 2020
UPDATE: I've just added 3rd gen Scarlett Solo to the list of interfaces I've tried with the same result - 44.1 is usually okay, but anything from 48 - 96k brings horrible audio glitches.

Loque - Which Windows settings are you referring to for performance? Do you normally use 96 khz setting in Reason?

My main i7 9700k desktop with the Echo interface has been well behaved. With the buffer set to 512 samples, it seems to work fine.

But my two other machines (i5 and i7 laptops) are a problem because I use them for live jamming, and they always after some
period of time, start spitting these crackles out.

The length of time is a huge factor - all of these systems start out fine, and then after some time begin to get worse and worse.
So I'm not completely sure even my desktop is safe from this problem. It could be that I've never run the audio continuously
enough for it to show up.
Windows Power Saving Settings. Set it to highest performance.
https://is.oregonstate.edu/cn-desktop-s ... my-windows

I use 96khz only if i temporarily need oversampling if the fx or synth does not support it and it is aliasing which i don't want at this moment. 44khz is ok most of the time. 48khz only, if i target to send it someone expecting this resolution.
Reason12, Win10

• Information