Freeze Reverb question.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2020

I’ve got quite a few reverbs which have a freeze function. Only thing is that when the freeze mode is engaged and the reverb sustains, any new incoming signals are also effected and added to the frozen reverb. Sanford have a free reverb with a freeze which locks the sustained reverb and allows dry signal through. I can’t seem to find any others which do this. Anybody help me out? Thanks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Heater

18 Oct 2020

Can't you put it in a combinator with a mixer.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2020

Heater wrote:
18 Oct 2020
Basically I want to pick a few notes of a chord and then engage the freeze on the reverb with my foot pedal and play a melody over the sound of the reverb and then release, play the. Ext chord and repeat the process. Raum, Stone Voices, PSP etc don’t lock the reverb when freeze I engaged. So I don’t think the mixer idea would work. I could just have two tracks one with the reverb ambience and another for the solo guitar. Like I said though, the Sanford VST and quite a lot of hardware units can do what I’m looking for.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2020

put polar after your reverb in a send configuration and assign your pedal to the freeze function
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2020

diminished wrote:
19 Oct 2020
put polar after your reverb in a send configuration and assign your pedal to the freeze function
I’ll try that. Thanks :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

19 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
18 Oct 2020
Heater wrote:
18 Oct 2020
Basically I want to pick a few notes of a chord and then engage the freeze on the reverb with my foot pedal and play a melody over the sound of the reverb and then release, play the. Ext chord and repeat the process. Raum, Stone Voices, PSP etc don’t lock the reverb when freeze I engaged. So I don’t think the mixer idea would work. I could just have two tracks one with the reverb ambience and another for the solo guitar. Like I said though, the Sanford VST and quite a lot of hardware units can do what I’m looking for.
So you can either use the devices that already do what you want, or modify the devices that do not (but that you may prefer the sound of). The mixer idea works in a Combinator, where you can assign sustain pedal to feed and freeze the reverb and also mute the send when frozen (so you don't add more audio to the frozen audio). The Line Mixer can easily do this job FWIW.
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2020

selig wrote:
19 Oct 2020
MrFigg wrote:
18 Oct 2020

So you can either use the devices that already do what you want, or modify the devices that do not (but that you may prefer the sound of). The mixer idea works in a Combinator, where you can assign sustain pedal to feed and freeze the reverb and also mute the send when frozen (so you don't add more audio to the frozen audio). The Line Mixer can easily do this job FWIW.
Was kind of wondering more which reverbs would do what I’m out after. The only one I’ve got which does is a free VST and i thought there may be some other choices :).
Polar didn’t do it for me. What would I use to freeze the reverb if I made a combi with a mixer?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

chaosroyale

19 Oct 2020

Selig's solution is correct and is what I would do with any freeze reverb regardless of the VST specs.

Basically - automate the SEND. Little line mixer is perfect. Just set the pedal to control SEND 0 > SEND 100 or whatever.

The problem with all freeze FX is that by nature they have to "add" any incoming signal to the frozen granular loop. So you may also want to automate the verb so that when it the pedal is at "100% send" the decay of the reverb is much faster, allowing the previously frozen sound to fade away, while adding the new sound from the FX send. Then when the pedal is "0%" the feedback will go back up to "frozen" and hold your chords.

The other advantage of using the line mixer is that you can easily adjust, or even automate, the balance between dry and reverb.
MrFigg wrote:
19 Oct 2020
selig wrote:
19 Oct 2020

Was kind of wondering more which reverbs would do what I’m out after. The only one I’ve got which does is a free VST and i thought there may be some other choices :).
Polar didn’t do it for me.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2020

Or do you mean I could use a freeze verb which doesn’t allow for a dry signal but put that through a mixer so that the Sustain Pedal switches channels?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
19 Oct 2020
Selig's solution is correct and is what I would do with any freeze reverb regardless of the VST specs.

Basically - automate the SEND. Little line mixer is perfect. Just set the pedal to control SEND 0 > SEND 100 or whatever.

The problem with all freeze FX is that by nature they have to "add" any incoming signal to the frozen granular loop. So you may also want to automate the verb so that when it the pedal is at "100% send" the decay of the reverb is much faster, allowing the previously frozen sound to fade away, while adding the new sound from the FX send. Then when the pedal is "0%" the feedback will go back up to "frozen" and hold your chords.

The other advantage of using the line mixer is that you can easily adjust, or even automate, the balance between dry and reverb.
MrFigg wrote:
19 Oct 2020

That sounds awesome but this humble guitarist has no idea how to do that. Raum or that free Stone Voices one would be prime candidates but again I’m clueless as to the inner workings of routings :(.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

19 Oct 2020

Funny, because I find I want the opposite at times.

Examples I can think of, such as Adaptiverb and Raum, have a freeze function that then allows audio to pass through when freeze is engaged, but the signal is dry. I'd have to check on both. Adaptiverb is my favorite. There's nothing quite like it.

MannequinRaces

19 Oct 2020

Just buy a EHX Freeze pedal. For us guitarists sometimes hardware works much better than mucking around with software. Think about it. ;)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2020

joeyluck wrote:
19 Oct 2020

Examples I can think of, such as Adaptiverb and Raum, have a freeze function that then allows audio to pass through when freeze is engaged, but the signal is dry. I'd have to check on both. Adaptiverb is my favorite. There's nothing quite like it.
Raum doesn’t. ......does it??!!! Because I want the frozen reverb with a dry though. I was convinced Raum added reverb to all incoming signals even when frozen.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2020

MannequinRaces wrote:
19 Oct 2020
Just buy a EHX Freeze pedal. For us guitarists sometimes hardware works much better than mucking around with software. Think about it. ;)
Ok hahahaha :):):):). Thanks.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

19 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
19 Oct 2020
joeyluck wrote:
19 Oct 2020

Raum doesn’t. ......does it??!!! Because I want the frozen reverb with a dry though. I was convinced Raum added reverb to all incoming signals even when frozen.
No, Raum has dry signal pass through.

It could be because you have the mix at a high setting and you think you are hearing reverb added to the incoming signal?

After engaging the freeze, the mix then becomes a mixer between the frozen signal and the incoming dry signal (more wet means more of the frozen signal).

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2020

joeyluck wrote:
19 Oct 2020
MrFigg wrote:
19 Oct 2020

It could be because you have the mix at a high setting and you think you are hearing reverb added to the incoming signal?

After engaging the freeze, the mix then becomes a mixer between the frozen signal and the incoming dry signal (more wet means more of the frozen signal).
Hmmm. Well in that case problem solved hahaha thanks. I was convinced it didn’t :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

19 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
19 Oct 2020
joeyluck wrote:
19 Oct 2020

Hmmm. Well in that case problem solved hahaha thanks. I was convinced it didn’t :).
Yeah it can be fooling to the ear when there is a frozen reverb, particularly when you continue playing in that key and range.

But play some loud staccato notes and see if you can tell the difference...or play out of key of the frozen sound and see if you can tell.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2020

joeyluck wrote:
19 Oct 2020
MrFigg wrote:
19 Oct 2020

Yeah it can be fooling to the ear when there is a frozen reverb, particularly when you continue playing in that key and range.

But play some loud staccato notes and see if you can tell the difference...or play out of key of the frozen sound and see if you can tell.
Great. I really do like Raum. I’ll do that later on and see. Don’t know why I remembered otherwise. I went through a good few trying them. But good news :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

chaosroyale

19 Oct 2020

If anyone wants a really simple CPU-lite freezeverb, here is one I made in like 2 minutes.
Uses an RV7000mkii, should work on Reason 8 and up.
I used Subtractor as a placeholder instrument, replace it with anything you like.

The button and knob are freezing the reverb decay, so when playing/automating you will get the most dramatic results by freezing just after notes, when the reverb is loudest. The "soft freeze" allows some input to bleed into the frozen verb so it will gradually change timbre. The "hard freeze" does not.
Attachments
Freezeverb.zip
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
19 Oct 2020
If anyone wants a really simple CPU-lite freezeverb, here is one I made in like 2 minutes.
I used Subtractor as a placeholder instrument, replace it with anything you like.

The button and knob are freezing the reverb decay, so when playing/automating you will get the most dramatic results by freezing just after notes, when the reverb is loudest. The "soft freeze" allows some input to bleed into the frozen verb so it will gradually change timbre. The "hard freeze" does not.
Thanks for doing that. Sounds great. I’ll try it later on this evening. Appreciated.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Arjanders

19 Oct 2020

Animus from JP can do this by turning of the gate after the signal has entered and with the decay of the reverb on 100%.
You even have the possibility to play with the shimmer.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2020

Arjanders wrote:
19 Oct 2020
Animus from JP can do this by turning of the gate after the signal has entered and with the decay of the reverb on 100%.
You even have the possibility to play with the shimmer.
Hmm. Didn’t think of that. Good idea.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

19 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
19 Oct 2020
joeyluck wrote:
19 Oct 2020

Great. I really do like Raum. I’ll do that later on and see. Don’t know why I remembered otherwise. I went through a good few trying them. But good news :).
I forgot I grabbed Raum a while back, this is something I should be using more in the future - thanks Joey for the reminder and MrFigg for the thread!
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
19 Oct 2020

Just got around to trying your combi. It's great :). Just to be sure I'm using it right though...I create an audio track. Add the combi. Delete the subtractor. Then take the Insert FX out from the audio track and into the Audio Ins on the Line Mixer. Does that sound right?

Or...delete the subtractor. Direct out from the audio track into the combi input and then the "to devices" on the combi into the line mixer?

Edit: Actually...delete the subtractor. "To devices" on the combi into the line mixer. And that's it. That way I can just drag the combinator onto an audio track and everything connects the way it should. Right?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ljekio

20 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
19 Oct 2020
So why? Polar can freeze well.

• Information