Venturing above the master compressor?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Aosta

13 Oct 2020

Just a little question for my curiosity, how many of you actually use the initial input gains and signal paths for channels right at the top of the SSL and which paths do they find work the best?
Tend the flame

dvdrtldg

13 Oct 2020

I'll up the input into the compressor sometimes, if I want to really get the signal nice and squashed (on a snare for example). Sometimes I'll invert phase if I'm running an instance of Scream in tape mode on a parallel channel

Other than that, I don't think I've ever messed with the signal path. I'm a compressor before EQ kinda guy

selig
RE Developer

13 Oct 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
13 Oct 2020
Other than that, I don't think I've ever messed with the signal path. I'm a compressor before EQ kinda guy
But if you use a compressor in the insert, the only way to get it before the built in EQ is to change the signal path. Meaning, you can both be a "compressor before EQ" guy AND use the signal path buttons. ;)

I don't tend to need the Input Gain knob because my audio levels are already set from the rack. Occasionally I'll use Input Gain to drop channels by 6 dB when using Parallel Channels.
Selig Audio, LLC

Jackjackdaw

13 Oct 2020

I set all my tracks to have the inserts before dynamics and eq.

Electric-Metal

13 Oct 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
13 Oct 2020
Same here, as I typically have my EQs and Comps in the insert section. I barely ever touch the channel comp but use the channel EQ for some gentle boosts or dips at the end of the chain.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

selig
RE Developer

13 Oct 2020

Electric-Metal wrote:
13 Oct 2020
Jackjackdaw wrote:
13 Oct 2020
Same here, as I typically have my EQs and Comps in the insert section. I barely ever touch the channel comp but use the channel EQ for some gentle boosts or dips at the end of the chain.
Channel comp is my "go to" for drums/percussive instruments, anything I want to punch up the attack. Start with the default, Ratio to Max and Release to Min and 1-2 LEDs of gain reduction works like a charm (just like it does on the original SSL).
Selig Audio, LLC

Electric-Metal

13 Oct 2020

selig wrote:
13 Oct 2020
Electric-Metal wrote:
13 Oct 2020

Channel comp is my "go to" for drums/percussive instruments, anything I want to punch up the attack. Start with the default, Ratio to Max and Release to Min and 1-2 LEDs of gain reduction works like a charm (just like it does on the original SSL).
Thanks Selig, maybe I've just done it all wrong until now (still leaning proper use of compressors anyway :) ). Definitely gonna take another look at this tonight. :thumbs_up:
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

• Information