Just deleted 11 years worth of songs.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
bxbrkrz

Post 13 Oct 2020

Bloma wrote:
12 Oct 2020
bxbrkrz wrote:
12 Oct 2020
4 Best Free Open Source Data Recovery Software For Windows

https://listoffreeware.com/best-free-op ... e-windows/
Britney Spears's 10 Best (and Worst) Songs of All Time

https://www.glamour.com/story/the-10-be ... f-all-time
Did she miss the great opportunity to trash/bin her music folder too? :D

MrFigg

Post 13 Oct 2020

Just started the first new song since the delete. Feeling good :).
丰2ॐ

danc

Post 13 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
13 Oct 2020
I'll hand you the paraffin and lighter when you make your first million. You book the helicopter to some remote Scottish island. News of the World says they'll cover the story.
Creating, producing and mastering music in Reason 11 and Studio One 5 (WIndows).

guitfnky

Post 13 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
13 Oct 2020
if you actually end up finishing it, you can return those royalties. 😆

sublunar

Post 13 Oct 2020

If true, I completely don't understand the Reason-ing.

I have super old song ideas that were like a brick wall of creativity block... until... something clicked one day and upon a fresh listen, I instantly wrote a new piece or changed a part and BAM. As this happens over the years I can open old versions and see how far those initial scribblings have come. Sometimes those old versions have riffs I forgot about having saved in them that I later deleted in subsequent versions but which turned out to be the very thing that got me over the creative hump. Then there's projects scattered around that might never become anything more than what they are. Doesn't bother me to just leave em be. Being a one man band means the songwriting process is slow.. but also deliberate. I'm close to finishing an album which is a mixture of completely new ideas and old ass song ideas I first had over a decade ago which are now indispensable pieces of the whole.

But I guess that's just difference of opinon. If you're ok with doing that then that's all that matters.

Catblack

Post 14 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
11 Oct 2020
Since first getting Record and then Reason 11 years ago I've been recording 8 and 16 bar ideas at a considerable pace. Folders upon folders of unfinished and forgotten stuff have been sitting on my hard drive just growing in volume to no end. So that was it...right click delete. There are no bad decisions...only decisions. Here's to the future :)
This is literally my nightmare scenario. I still open old idea files. Just yesterday, one from 2002. (I still have the Reason file from my first jam session using it, in Dec 2000.) I have so many backups of the old files I can't even count. I could never delete a decade of it, even if wanted to. And I'll never want to.

Though I'll be the first to caution that nostalgia is a trap.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

selig
RE Developer

Post 14 Oct 2020

Catblack wrote:
14 Oct 2020
This is literally my nightmare scenario. I still open old idea files. Just yesterday, one from 2002. (I still have the Reason file from my first jam session using it, in Dec 2000.) I have so many backups of the old files I can't even count. I could never delete a decade of it, even if wanted to. And I'll never want to.
Though I'll be the first to caution that nostalgia is a trap.
It also just occurred to me there is yet ANOTHER use of the odd song ideas, and that is to COLLABORATE. Many of my long abandoned "8 bar wonders" have been successfully advanced by others who saw a path forward and were inspired by what they heard. So even if YOU have lost interest in your sketches, why not send them to a friend and have them see if anything sparks a flame for them?!?
Selig Audio, LLC

BRIGGS

Post 14 Oct 2020

selig wrote:
14 Oct 2020
It also just occurred to me there is yet ANOTHER use of the odd song ideas, and that is to COLLABORATE. Many of my long abandoned "8 bar wonders" have been successfully advanced by others who saw a path forward and were inspired by what they heard. So even if YOU have lost interest in your sketches, why not send them to a friend and have them see if anything sparks a flame for them?!?
I think it's a good opportunity for collaboration. Especially if, mostly, stock devices are used. :puf_smile:

MrFigg

Post 14 Oct 2020

BRIGGS wrote:
14 Oct 2020
selig wrote:
14 Oct 2020
I think it's a good opportunity for collaboration. Especially if, mostly, stock devices are used. :puf_smile:
I won’t get into what’s going on in my life and my head just now but deleting that folder was something that was good for me and I’m glad I did it. Maybe I didn’t need to do it but I did and I feel better for it. I like to think I’m worth a small indulgence now and then :).
Collaboration though. Whenever I’m playing music together with folk I like to start off on an even foot as opposed to sending a whole song idea. I may get a bassline and a small melody sent to me then I add a little bit then the next person adds a little bit and the song grows with everybody’s feelings and expression incorporated. By waiting to get the next persons bit I end up playing stuff I may never have orherwise thought of. I enjoy that :).
丰2ॐ

selig
RE Developer

Post 14 Oct 2020

MrFigg wrote:
14 Oct 2020
BRIGGS wrote:
14 Oct 2020

I won’t get into what’s going on in my life and my head just now but deleting that folder was something that was good for me and I’m glad I did it. Maybe I didn’t need to do it but I did and I feel better for it. I like to think I’m worth a small indulgence now and then :).
Collaboration though. Whenever I’m playing music together with folk I like to start off on an even foot as opposed to sending a whole song idea. I may get a bassline and a small melody sent to me then I add a little bit then the next person adds a little bit and the song grows with everybody’s feelings and expression incorporated. By waiting to get the next persons bit I end up playing stuff I may never have orherwise thought of. I enjoy that :).
No need to explain yourself, I support you doing whatever you feel is best!

But as to your comments above - you mentioned deleting " 8 and 16 bar ideas", not "whole song" ideas as you state above. That's why I suggested a collaboration, but even then…I love sending 8 Bar ideas! It's actually a bit like how Lennon/McCartney worked with one providing a verse and the other a chorus. But what does it matter, it's more about how THEY response, not what YOU send, right? In a collaboration you can't control whether someone relates to your ideas, so why restrict what you send (with exceptions for keeping stuff you want to work on as a solo artist).
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg

Post 14 Oct 2020

selig wrote:
14 Oct 2020
MrFigg wrote:
14 Oct 2020

No need to explain yourself, I support you doing whatever you feel is best!

But as to your comments above - you mentioned deleting " 8 and 16 bar ideas", not "whole song" ideas as you state above. That's why I suggested a collaboration, but even then…I love sending 8 Bar ideas! It's actually a bit like how Lennon/McCartney worked with one providing a verse and the other a chorus. But what does it matter, it's more about how THEY response, not what YOU send, right? In a collaboration you can't control whether someone relates to your ideas, so why restrict what you send (with exceptions for keeping stuff you want to work on as a solo artist).
I totally hear you. Of course I could have sent those 16 bars to someone to use but the thing is that I’ve got music going though my head all the time. If I sit down to play I’m never stuck for ideas. Maybe it’s the bipolar thing but in any case the music never stops. And that’s why it’s not sad or a tragedy or any thing else that those loops were deleted. They’ll be replaced. It’s never ending. Someone wants to jam there is always something to work with. Whether it’s old or new has no real meaning :). Does that make sense?.
丰2ॐ

ortxedys

Post 14 Oct 2020

If it makes you feel any better, I've lost years worth of work and samples on 2 occasions. Why, you ask? Using dodgy HHD's. I always took it as a fresh start. But that initial reaction was just pure devastation.

• Information